General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Galveston 70.3 Logistics and Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-02 8:36 PM

Expert
Subject: Galveston 70.3 Logistics and Question
I am coming from new Orleans to do this race, likely with a friend or girlfriend. I haven't booked a hotel yet but was thinking about hotel galvez, Tremont, san Luis, etc. Looking for recommendations on which one or some others that may be nice enough for a vacation weekend but cost effective.My next thing is a question about race day. I need to check out on Sunday (and drive back to NO that night) . I figured I wont be done with the race and race events until after noon at the earliest. I am fine with packing the car but absolutely will need a place to shower before getting back in the car and driving again. Is there anywhere easy and nearby to the finish to shower and change since I won't have my hotel anymore? I guess worst case I can do this at the beach, but any outdoor showers or community facilities? Also would love some dining/tourist recommendations for the day before. Good luck and hope to see some of you BTers out there!!

2012-01-05 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3967190

The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: Galveston 70.3 Logistics and Question

The three hotels you listed are pretty pricey and not real close to the race site. Call the Inn at the Waterpark.? (800)718-1155? ?They are about 200 yds from transition. Not luxury but not a dump either. They set up breakfast on race morning at 0400 and have late checkout till 1 pm, $50 until 3pm. The reason I recommend this place is that parking on race morning is horrendous as most of the roads near transition are closed that morning.

There are lots of restaurants on the island. We usually hit The Spot for burgers and such or Fish Tales for seafood.

Hope this helps.

2012-01-05 12:05 PM
in reply to: #3972789

User image

Master
Houston
raider75 - 2012-01-05 11:26 AM

The three hotels you listed are pretty pricey and not real close to the race site. Call the Inn at the Waterpark.? (800)718-1155? ?They are about 200 yds from transition. Not luxury but not a dump either. They set up breakfast on race morning at 0400 and have late checkout till 1 pm, $50 until 3pm. The reason I recommend this place is that parking on race morning is horrendous as most of the roads near transition are closed that morning.

There are lots of restaurants on the island. We usually hit The Spot for burgers and such or Fish Tales for seafood.

Hope this helps.

I stayed there for the 5150 and the description is accurate.

I just walked to the transition, and ended up riding back to the hotel after.

I don't know of any beach showers, but I don't travel down there a lot.

2012-01-05 3:09 PM

Expert

I booked my room there.  There weren't a ton of options and Moody Gardens Inn was full.  I was looking for somewhere a little nicer and not for kids but will probably be everybody with their bikes anyhow.  I figured better to have good logistics and not have to shuttle back and forth than to just stay somewhere fancy.  

Would love some more recommendations on things to do / places to see because i was hoping to make it a fun vacation and not just sit in the hotel room biting my nails before the HIM!

2012-01-06 1:40 PM

Well, there's always the shower in transition that everyone uses to wash off the salt water after the swimSmile

I'd drive down to West Galveston if you want to spend some time on the beach.  Away from the seawall as you drive west there are a ton of "pocket beach parks" and you can take a stroll.  The town itself is fairly historic, you can rent surrey and peddle around town.

2012-01-08 3:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx

I stayed at Inn at the Waterpark last year.  Was nice enough for me, close, and saved lots of cash!  If you want something nicer, I'd go Moody Gardens since it's close as well.

If the hotel you want is booked up, i'd get a room somewhere else, but also call the one I want and ask to get on the waiting list... I did this last year and it worked.  They called me a few weeks before and so I just cancelled the other one.

As for stuff to do, not sure how many days early you are going, but Houston area is sorta close...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Galveston 70.3 Logistics and Question Rss Feed