General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2012 Triathlons Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-07 5:56 PM

Subject: 2012 Triathlons

Hello all,

I am very new to the triathlon scene, but I have been a competitive swimmer all my life.  I am 25 and set my sights very high this year and have already signed up for the Branson Half-Iron man in September. 

Any suggestions on the number of races that I should do between now and then to prepare?  I am also thinking about signing up for the Kansas City 5i50 triathlon in May as a good gauging point.  This gives me close to 20 weeks to prepare for both races.

I also need a good road bike so any suggestions there would be great as well..I have just been training on a stationary bike right now.

This weather is making running so enjoyable!!!!

2012-01-07 8:07 PM
in reply to: #3977176

User image

Veteran
Missouri
Subject: RE: 2012 Triathlons
What area are you from ? I'm also doing those two races.

Since you've already got the swimming portion down you'll just have to adjust to swimming with other people next to you in open water. Try to swim nice and easy so that you're not exhausted by the time you do the bike and run.

Try and do two workouts a day if you can. During the week try and do your run then swim for 1/2 hour or swim then run or bike/swim, etc. whatever combination you feel like doing and throw in a long swim, bike or run every now and then.

Start cycling...a lot. So you can get used to biking for 2 hours. Start slow, 30mins, 60mins, 90mins, etc. get your legs used to working for 2hrs+ then run the next day so your legs get used to running when they're tired.

As far as bikes, start on a road bike, get a good fit, see how you like it and go from there. There are tons of different bikes out there to start out on, it just depends on your budget.

Good luck. Stay hydrated and be safe.
2012-01-07 8:43 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!! I am already trying to combo some of the workouts, I like to swim 3000 or so and then hit a good run or bike. I have been able to bike for an hour on a few occasions already (the gauge saying that I went between 19-22 miles, not sure how accurate they are).. I have tried to structure my training week with 3 runs Monday/Wednesday shorter pace work and Saturdays a long run. 3 bikes rides, 4 swims, 3 lifts, and yoga. I am from Springfield too!
2012-01-07 9:29 PM

User image

Regular
Kirkwood, Mo.
First off welcome to BT!  Second,  you picked a great race for your first HIM in Branson.  I have done that one the past two years.  Get yourself fit for a bike and get the best you can afford like yesterday.  I don't mean to take away from your training on the stationary bike but there really is no comparison.  Get a bike and start training a LOT!  If the swim is your strength, and it sounds like it is. Concentrate on the bike then do some more biking and while your at it ride your bike again! On that course you are either going up or going down.  Great bike course but you need to start getting in the hills now.  The run will be no fun with out a strong bike base.  Any races you can get under your belt before Branson will be time well spent.  If you have any questions on Branson PM me and ask away.   Now go buy a bike and start riding!

Edited by jlamm66 2012-01-07 9:41 PM
2012-01-08 7:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Welcome! We are coming from similar backgrounds. I don't quite have the recent swim history you have but would for sure consider swimming my strength... I just took a long break :-). I'm getting back into tris after a long break! Just starred training in Sept or Oct. I'm already signed up for the trizou sprint in Columbia and the KC 5150 both in may, looking at the new town tri in June (st Charles MO) lake st Louis in august (oly) and I have my eyes on Branson as well. I'm run focused now as I have a decent cycling base from mountain biking. You can look at my logs to see my run/swim workouts, but basically I try am trying to run 5-6 days a week using the BarryP 3/2/1 plan and swim 3 days a week, once I get a road bike I'll be running 6 days (MWF short runs, TTH med, SAT long), cycling 3 (TTH MED, SUN long, and swimming 3 (MWF) As races get closer I'll add bricks and I'll take days off when I need em. Speaking of getting a bike, If you're looking to buy a new bike, cervelo has a deal for $1,000 off each bike but ya gotta buy 2... I just had 2 friends back out so I'm looking for a partner. I'm in st Louis and would be willing to drive it down to you. Not sure what your budget is or if you're looking to buy new, just throwing it out there. You would need to order pretty soon though, like no late than next week to get in on it.
2012-01-08 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3977730

User image

Veteran
Missouri
Can that $1000 off also work if just buying the frame?

Edited by triathlonandy 2012-01-08 8:05 AM

2012-01-08 8:34 AM
in reply to: #3977733

User image

Veteran
Per the website "complete bikes only" :-/
2012-01-08 4:46 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Welcome to BT.  I hear that Branson is a great race, great scenery and atmosphere.  It's also one of the most challenging on the bike.  There are eight CAT 5 climbs so that being said, get going on the bike as soon as you can.  In the winters the last few years I did spin classes at the gym.  Since they are only 1 hour I go HARD! which is what you should do on the stationary bike.

Sounds like your swim is in check so focus on the bike and run.  The run at Branson is very flat but follows that challenging bike course.  Make sure you have a nutrition plan for that race.  You will burn through some calories on that bike.  That's another reason to get up to those 2-3 hour long bike rides so you can learn about your nutrition needs during longer events.

I've got Branson on my "maybe" list, I'll assess after the Kansas HIM in June.

I strongly suggest getting fit for the road bike.  Getting fit will determine which brand suit you well because of geometry.

Good luck with training,

2012-01-09 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Ultramax puts on a quarter distance tri in June at the Innsbrook resort, about an hour west of St. Louis.  The bike course is pretty much constant rolling hills, which would give an idea of how prepared you'll be for Branson's sick bike course.
2012-01-11 9:41 PM

Thanks to everyone for the support and responses! I will look into the races everyone posted!

Is there any training groups in the Springfield?  Especially for the long bike rides?
2012-01-13 5:43 PM
in reply to: #3985267

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson

There are especially when IM Branson draws near. There is a local tri club called Ozarks Multisport Club (OMC). Many of us will ride the high road together nearer race time. http://www.go-omc.com or find us on facebook. We just had our monthly social gathering at Springfield Brewing Co. last night, sorry you missed it. If you would like to join the club, a family membership is only $20 annually and get you discounts at many bike and tri shops in the area. Hope to see you around.

Roger.

2012-01-23 9:03 PM

User image

New user

Lake St. Louis Tri also has quite a few hills...olympic distance is offered (in mid August).  I agree that the Innsbruck race can be a great challenge for that too (in June). 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2012 Triathlons Rss Feed