General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri suit or not tri suit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-09 2:14 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Tri suit or not tri suit?

I have very little to no experience of triathlon, accept a few sprints. This is my year, I am puzzled.

Ironman for example.

Do tri suits have padding suitable for a 112 mile ride and can you run a marathon with that padding, Do tri suits not! have padding but the bike seat is extremely soft, ie Gel.

2012-01-09 2:27 AM
in reply to: #3979045

User image

Subject: RE: Tri suit or not tri suit?
Tri suits and tri shorts have padding. It's just a whole lot less padding than the diaper in bike shorts. You can run in them and you basically won't notice them. Funny thing is I chafe less in tri shorts than I do with regular runner's spandex.

I've been doing century rides and a couple IMs in the past 5 years and still ride on the stock Felt saddle that came with the bike and wear tri shorts for all my rides, including century rides.

About two weeks ago I bought a set of DeSoto 400 mile bib shorts because I'm doing a double century this year and figured this might be a good time to actually use bike shorts. Turns out the bib part of the bib shorts is nice but there is just about too much padding for me so I've decided to only wear them for rides over 100 miles. Tri shorts all the way below that.

2012-01-09 3:19 AM
in reply to: #3979046

User image

Regular

Great, thanks, it's just a case of getting a harder backside then really.

I take it the tri suit padding causes no problem under a wet suit.

2012-01-09 3:38 AM
in reply to: #3979059

User image

Maxwelltri - 2012-01-09 4:19 AM

Great, thanks, it's just a case of getting a harder backside then really.

I take it the tri suit padding causes no problem under a wet suit.

After about the second or third kick you won't notice it.

The wetsuit is more noticeable in the undercarriage than the tri shorts are.

Edited by DanielG 2012-01-09 3:39 AM
2012-01-09 6:24 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
As Daniel said, they are just fine for swimming, biking, and running long.  (They're designed for it!)  Some people change to running shorts for the marathon part of an IM.  I don't and haven't ever had a problem.  (Well, not one attributable to tri shorts...)
2012-01-09 7:08 AM
in reply to: #3979046

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
DanielG - 2012-01-09 3:27 AM

Tri suits and tri shorts have padding. It's just a whole lot less padding than the diaper in bike shorts. You can run in them and you basically won't notice them. Funny thing is I chafe less in tri shorts than I do with regular runner's spandex.

I've been doing century rides and a couple IMs in the past 5 years and still ride on the stock Felt saddle that came with the bike and wear tri shorts for all my rides, including century rides.

About two weeks ago I bought a set of DeSoto 400 mile bib shorts because I'm doing a double century this year and figured this might be a good time to actually use bike shorts. Turns out the bib part of the bib shorts is nice but there is just about too much padding for me so I've decided to only wear them for rides over 100 miles. Tri shorts all the way below that.

I use the DeSoto Forza Rivieras which have a pad similar to, but less bulky than the 400 mile shorts. When I bought a pair of the 400 mile shorts I said the same thing, "too much pad." Sent them back and got another pair of Forza Rivieras. If you haven't tried this short, you should. The pad really is amazing, significantly better than most tri pads, and not bulky at all. Never even notice it on my runs. I am surprised that no one else is copying this style of pad because it really is all that.

2012-01-09 7:14 AM
in reply to: #3979170

User image

wannabefaster - 2012-01-09 8:08 AM

DanielG - 2012-01-09 3:27 AM

I use the DeSoto Forza Rivieras which have a pad similar to, but less bulky than the 400 mile shorts. When I bought a pair of the 400 mile shorts I said the same thing, "too much pad." Sent them back and got another pair of Forza Rivieras. If you haven't tried this short, you should. The pad really is amazing, significantly better than most tri pads, and not bulky at all. Never even notice it on my runs. I am surprised that no one else is copying this style of pad because it really is all that.

-eh- I like my Orca 226 shorts for up to and including century rides. I like them enough that I just picked up another couple because swim outlet had them on a 40% off sale.

I got the 400 mile bibs for a double century so I'll wear 'em for that. Means more than a few >100 mile rides before then too so I'm not exactly out the money.
2012-01-09 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
I like my DeSoto 100 Mile shorts for riding, but I couldn't imagine actually wearing them for the run in a tri.  They have a bigger diaper in the back than a couple of my pairs of bike shorts.
2012-01-09 3:19 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I bought a pair of Desoto Forza bibs b/c I needed a new set of bibs for my bike and really didn't like the PI shorts I had.  Although they are a bit snug, I really like these bibs, ran in them last night.  Look forward to wearing them in a race this season.
2012-01-09 3:36 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Most folks doing IM choose to use two pieces with tri shorts and tri top instead of one piece just for ease of port a potty stops and such.

Some tri shorts have padding like fleece (not much) other tri shorts are made more for long distance races and have slightly more padding.

I like DeSoto 400 mile bike shorts or Oomph tri shorts with their distance pad for HIM or IM races.

Down below Triathlon Talk is an IM forum and lots of pointers and discussion of all things Ironman.

2012-01-09 8:15 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
For IM I use a short with a dinky piece of polar fleece in the crotch(aka 'its the thought that counts' pad.) But I trin 90% of the time in regular bike bibs.

What also can play into it is how long you aim to be on the bike. For some folks the longer your on the saddle the more padding they want. Also, at higher speeds the saddle can be more of something to lean against rather than sit on, thus sparing the goods down yonder a bit.

Your best bet is to try out different options in training to find what works best.

2012-01-09 8:17 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

I've used a 2 piece suit for most races, and was happy w a 1 piece suit for 70.3's (the bathroom issue is more difficult though in a 1 pc)..

but when it came to Ironman, I re-thought this and changed to bike jersey + tri bottom, then changed to a run top, kept the tri bottom. this worked ok, but kinda wished I had gone w regular bike shorts, then swap to run shorts. 112 miles is a long way on thin padded tri shorts !

overall, I was happy that I chose to change for the particular Ironman that I did, next time I may wear regular bike shorts. HIMs and shorter, I wouldn't change at all.

Edited by metafizx 2012-01-09 8:17 PM
2012-01-10 2:35 AM
in reply to: #3980918

User image

Regular
metafizx - 2012-01-09 8:17 PM

I've used a 2 piece suit for most races, and was happy w a 1 piece suit for 70.3's (the bathroom issue is more difficult though in a 1 pc)..

but when it came to Ironman, I re-thought this and changed to bike jersey + tri bottom, then changed to a run top, kept the tri bottom. this worked ok, but kinda wished I had gone w regular bike shorts, then swap to run shorts. 112 miles is a long way on thin padded tri shorts !

overall, I was happy that I chose to change for the particular Ironman that I did, next time I may wear regular bike shorts. HIMs and shorter, I wouldn't change at all.

I sometimes wear bike shorts ( not bibbed) for riding and find that they wont sit still, bibbed shorts are far more comfortable for riding.

I thought that I would go down the route of changing tops for the run and ride but wondered about number changing. Do Ironman provide multiple numbers to put on various garments or is a tri belt the way to go.

Has anyone ever put running shorts under their bike shorts?

2012-01-10 8:49 AM
in reply to: #3981241

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Maxwelltri - 2012-01-10 2:35 AM

I sometimes wear bike shorts ( not bibbed) for riding and find that they wont sit still, bibbed shorts are far more comfortable for riding.

I thought that I would go down the route of changing tops for the run and ride but wondered about number changing. Do Ironman provide multiple numbers to put on various garments or is a tri belt the way to go.

A number belt is a good thing to have in general.  Tri clothes are expensive!  There's no way I'm sticking pins through mine.  WTC events provide a couple different numbers, but a lot of racers just strap on their number belt in T1 and keep the extra number as a memento.   Note: In the IM racer's guide, they recommend NOT wearing your number during the swim as it will not hold up for the entire day.

2012-01-10 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3981241

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Maxwelltri - 2012-01-10 9:35 PM

I use multiple race belts. They usually give you 2 bib's, 1 for bike and 1 for run.

since you have a bike bag and run bag, I just have a race belt in each.

2012-01-11 5:32 AM

User image

Regular
Southern Indiana
Used tri shorts for the HIM, but went with bibs for IMKY and changed into run shorts. I just wanted the extra comfort and wasn't too worried about the time in transition.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri suit or not tri suit? Rss Feed