General Discussion Race Reports! » 2012 Walt Disney World® Marathon RELAY Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2012 Walt Disney World® Marathon RELAY - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Orlando, Florida
United States
50F / 10C
Total Time = 2h 03m 20s
Overall Rank = 45/416
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Wake up god awful early, eat a pop tart and drive over to the race site. Sit in the car for 30 minutes before finally getting out of it. This was the second day in a row at the race site and we learned our lesson. Why stand out in the cold?
Event warmup:

Pretty much impossible to get a warmup in. Maybe we can consider the 20+ minute shuffle over to the B corral? It took forever to get there and it was packed with people on the path over and we all just shuffled on over. Couldn't even walk regular to my corral once I got there as there were too many folks going to D and C. Many folks (myself included) finally hopped a fence and by passed all that.
Run
  • 2h 03m 20s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

My friend has every other Disney medal so when they announced this new race, the relay marathon, he just had to do it. So I helped him out and ran the first half. Not much to it, I just ran. I ran as hard as I could. I really started to slow down at about mile 6. And then I slowed down some more. Granted we are talking seconds per mile, not minutes but still, shows the run fitness is still a work in progress. Let me rephrase that, run fitness at a hard effort. I was always in a crowd. Lots of running on the grass at the start to get past folks but I actually enjoyed that. Anything off pavement is good to me.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really except have better mental focus at maintaining my effort as the race neared the end. It was a C race for me. I had hoped for 9 minute miles but I never even got to that pace early in the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Found Tina and got on the monorail to go back to the finish (also the start) to wait on my running partner. A bit of walking around. Leg muscles were very tight and sore.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not a race I trained for. Also just started pushing the pace in training. Part of the training program is suppose to include these type of races to help teach my body to run fast and this was the first one really that I got to try it in since I started the new program

Event comments:

Post race activities are very plentiful here, but you do have to pay for them, being Disney and all. I enjoyed the race and the RD does a good job. Everything went off well. Tina did the half marathon the day before and I must say, if you do not want to be stuck in the last corral (if you get frustrated easy you do not want to be there) then do a qualifying race before to get moved up. I was in B and that was fine, even though I was always totally surrounded by people, they were all running. The roads get narrow in spots and you just can't get around large groups of walkers easily.

I honestly would never do the marathon relay if it were not for my friend wanting the medal and I am entirely unsure why they even have it. There is a half marathon the day before. I can recommend a Disney race (assuming you can deal with the massive amount of folks) as it is of course a great place to vacation, especially if you have family, but I cannot recommend the relay specifically.

Course now I am thinking about doing the Goofy. sigh, will the madness ever stop?

Last updated: 2011-08-13 12:00 AM
Running
02:03:20 | 13.1 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/416
Performance: Average
45 Bibbidi Bobbidi Beau Time - 4:05:23 Transition Time - 2:42 70400 CRAIG HABLEWITZ 50 M 1:59:25 70399 KIMBERLY SMITH 40 F 2:03:16
Course: Flat, then some more flat, and then a little flatter. Well, there were some overpasses. All kinds of animals on the course. Chipmunks (Chip and Dale), ducks, mice, etc etc
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-01-09 5:45 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: 2012 Walt Disney World® Marathon RELAY

2012-01-09 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3979087

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: 2012 Walt Disney World® Marathon RELAY

Way to help out your friend! Goofy time it is. The race seemed like a good gauge of early season run fitness.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2012 Walt Disney World® Marathon RELAY Rss Feed