General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long bike nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-06 11:46 AM

User image

Subject: Long bike nutrition
I am headed out tomorrow for a long ride (4 hours), train like you race is the motto. Well this will be longer than any race. My plan right now is one bottle of Ironman cocktail at 675 calories, and two gels at 93 calories apiece. I could put another bottle of nutrition on the bike but then I would have no water so really not an option. So, is this enough? How many calories would you shoot for, right now I am thinking 350/ hour but it seems like that is going to be tough.
I could probably take a few more gels or a clif bar, I think what I need is a behind the seat bottle holder for a couple more bottles then I wouldn't have to worry.

2006-05-06 11:59 AM
in reply to: #416532

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Subject: RE: Long bike nutrition

Behind the seat holder really comes in handy in these cases. 

Another trick, is to ride routes that you've ridden before, and scout out where the gas stations and parks are.  Then you can refill/refuel along the way, without having to carry 8 bottles with you.

I use perpetuem, so I measure out a couple bottles worth of mix, and put it in a plastic baggy in my jersey pocket.  Then when I finish the first bottle, I add the powder and water from a fountain or gas station.  Presto, another bottle.

Another benefit of refilling en-route is that you don't have a bottle sitting on the bike in the sun for 3 hours getting nice and hot.  Warm perpetuem is not very tasty. 

-C 

2006-05-06 12:20 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Sounds like you're planning all-day maneuvers. I just finished a 3-1/2-hour ride, had a cliff bar about an hour in, a gel at about 2 hours, and drank about 80-90 oz of gatorade from my camelback over the course of the ride.
2006-05-06 12:59 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Agree with bear, unless you're looking to use the ride to practice nutrition for a longer event.  Then your plan sounds about right--and, yeah, just stuff some more gels (or a bar) in your pocket.
2006-05-06 1:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
IMO, three things determine caloric intake for a single event training session:

1) Prior caloric consumption (i.e., timing, amount)
2) Post expected caloric needs (i.e., is the run a marathon or .5 marathon?).
3) Heat

These three element can change the caloric intake equation significantly.

Calorie intake is a constantally moving target. In my case, I've done IM's consuming about 500 calories per hr. on a bike and had success... and, have done IM's consuming 300-400 calories per hr. and had success also. The key difference between the two differences in calorie intake had to do with heat and balance between water intake, salt and food/carbohydrate (CHO).

I am guessing based on your post that your training for a HIM... if this is true, the range of 200-400 calories per hr will most likely be a sufficient point to start experimenting. But, I have found that the kind of CHO intake is as important of a diet factor to know than the amount of intake. It's important to know if the kind of food intake will cause GI issues.

(Sidenote: Concentration of fluid intake (between CHO and water) will have an effect on taste and not performance. "Kind" of food relates to product differences and not a CHO's simple vs. complex molecule difference.)

Calorie consumption is not only determined by what you eat on the bike, but also what you have ate before the bike and when you eat. In the end, amount, timing, balance and type/kind of calorie's consumption is almost always based on experience. And, how you relate your experience to the conditons and distance you will be racing will be the factor that determines overall diet success.

FWIW Joe Moya
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long bike nutrition Rss Feed