of 5

2012-01-11 3:55 PM
in reply to: #3982226

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Neighbor Fence Questions
lisac957 - 2012-01-10 2:05 PM

pitt83 - 2012-01-10 1:50 PM Leave it be. Who really cares? They're obviously particular about stuff leaning on their fence and would you rather stir the drink and them off or simply let it be as no harm is done.

Hmm I would not be cool with neighbors coming into my fenced yard unannounced, randomly moving items, and never mentioning it! I would "care," mainly because it inidcates a lack of respect and privacy.

What's next, they're going to re-arrange my flower beds? At least pull some weeds while you're in my yard, eh?

See, that's the problem I have with this scenario.

To the OP... can you not lock your gate or something? Or put a gate up with a lock? Keep 'em out!

2012-01-11 4:35 PM
in reply to: #3982120

User image

Pro

Wait until they are not home, then move some of their stuff around.

A long time ago in a land far away I planted 13 hedges on my property line...actually what I thought was about a foot on my side. I was just a kid and it was my first house...so who knows?  I spent all day planting them and then when I was inside doing some dishes in the evening I look out and my wack job neighbor was running over each of them with his riding lawnmower.  I ran outside and he was done....looked up at me and says, "you should have asked if you could plant those on the property line" and then drove away on his mower. 

The more I thought about it that night the madder I got......about 1 in the morning I grabbed my camp saw and went over and cut down a 20 - 30 foot oak tree that fell across his driveway.

The next morning I wake up to a loud knock on the door and it's a Police Officer.  He proceeds to tell me about the neighbor's tree and how the neighbor suspects I did it for some reason.  I told the Officer that I did not cut down any trees, but I sure hoped he caught whoever did it because there seemed to be some kind of serial tree hater running amok as I had been the victim of 13 hedges being cut down just yesterday.

The Officer looked at me, smiled, and said, "thanks for your time, sorry to bother you". Laughing

Edited by Left Brain 2012-01-11 4:36 PM
2012-01-11 4:39 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

They built a shed on your property and put their fence right on the line?   Sounds like they just do whatever they want.   You could just print out this thread and send it to them....

We will be removing the privacy fence that separates us from our neighbors and we will be getting a surveyor before putting up the wall we have planned.  The existing fence hits three sides of our property, so it is "ours" (I think).   Our next door neighbor had their property surveyed, and if I believe their surveyor plus our plot map, I will be gaining about 12 inches towards the back, which will include the supports to my other neighbor's back patio covering.  That might get interesting.

Edited by bootygirl 2012-01-11 5:04 PM
2012-01-11 4:41 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
strange. In the douche bag column: you could drill a couple holes in it so you can hang your bike off it.
2012-01-11 4:43 PM

User image

Master
Albuquerque
you should dig a pool in their backyard, that'll teach 'em! 
2012-01-11 8:22 PM

User image

Elite
Weird. I'm not going to guess anything, but that would tick me off. I would not leave that be. Not saying it's right, but it's what I would do. We would have to have a little chat about that.

2012-01-11 8:27 PM

For some reason, I dont think your neighbor moved the bikes.  Its just to weird to believe that a neighbor would notice the bikes against the fence, be annoyed about this, and move them.  You mentioned a son, maybe he moved them.  Id just fagetaboutit if not certain the neighbor moved them. 
2012-01-11 9:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
I would recommend that you have a polite discussion with them. Ask them if they came onto your property, mentioning that you've already asked the other neighbors. Then state that you understand their desire to have a privacy fence, but there are a few problems with it - #1 it touches your property line, which is not unusual, but it is unusual when both property owners aren't in accord with the action to install from the beginning. #2 - their shed encroaches onto your property line. The problem with this and the fence being installed on your property, as well, is that it places you in a position of liability for any damage, or maintenance, to these items. Ask them to give you something in writing that acknowledges you, and your family, hold no interest of ownership, nor responsibility for damages/maintenance to these items.

See how interested they'll be when this comes up. It won't be received with joy, but as a person with a background in land development for residential purposes - I can't tell you how fast situations with people like your neighbors can rocket out of control. They are trespassing on your property and on your rights. You have to protect yourself. You could offer as a good faith on the fence to bypass this by stating you'll pay for 1/2 of the cost for the fence, but you aren't compelled to do so. As it stands, if the fence touches your property line, then you have the right to do whatever you want on your side as long as you don't damage the fence.

2012-01-11 11:04 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Break out your ladder the next time your neighbors are out in their back yard.  Then stand there on your ladder, watching them in their yard over their fence, wearing only a speedo, while sipping on a beer.  Only say the words "Yarp" and "Narp" if they try talking to you.
2012-01-12 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3984798

User image

Master
Beijing
Left Brain - 2012-01-10 5:35 PM

A long time ago in a land far away I planted 13 hedges on my property line...actually what I thought was about a foot on my side. I was just a kid and it was my first house...so who knows?  I spent all day planting them and then when I was inside doing some dishes in the evening I look out and my wack job neighbor was running over each of them with his riding lawnmower.  I ran outside and he was done....looked up at me and says, "you should have asked if you could plant those on the property line" and then drove away on his mower. 

The more I thought about it that night the madder I got......about 1 in the morning I grabbed my camp saw and went over and cut down a 20 - 30 foot oak tree that fell across his driveway.

The next morning I wake up to a loud knock on the door and it's a Police Officer.  He proceeds to tell me about the neighbor's tree and how the neighbor suspects I did it for some reason.  I told the Officer that I did not cut down any trees, but I sure hoped he caught whoever did it because there seemed to be some kind of serial tree hater running amok as I had been the victim of 13 hedges being cut down just yesterday.

The Officer looked at me, smiled, and said, "thanks for your time, sorry to bother you". Laughing

this is so full of awesome that I don't even know where to start.

2012-01-12 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3982413

User image

Master
Beijing
randomsideizzie - 2012-01-09 4:34 PM
Chuckhead - 2012-01-10 2:51 PM

There shed is clearly on my property as well as some of the fence.  I now need to see how big of a D-bag I would like to be. 

My 2 cents - No reciprocal easement agreement? Get your fence/shed off of my property!  Laughing

/oldladyrant

Especially if the shed has a permanent (concrete) floor.   If it is a "permanent" structure and you leave it on your property for a certain amount of years, I believe you automatically forfeit your deed to that part of property. 

Get that s$%t moved now.

2012-01-12 9:46 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Left Brain - 2012-01-11 3:35 PM

That's what I was thinking too.  Then if they say something just say "Oh, I thought we we're randomly moving each other's stuff around."

2012-01-12 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California

Ultimately, regardless of the type of person you are, your choices fall into two categories.

1. Dealing with the matter head-on in a legally compliant and protected matter.

2. A range of everything else from well-intentioned to passive to downright nasty, all of which leave you exposed to be legally screwed down the road.

My advice is that this means you have 2.5 real options.

1. Get professional, legal advice explain that you want to be a good neighbor and have to live next to these people, but that you want to be protected and legally by-the-book.

2. Everything else, so long as you understand that you will probably get screwed.

1/2 option ----- Some municipalities have community ombudsmen/complaint alternative dispute resolution type of offices that help address some matters. However, I don't know the quality or legal coverage that they provide, if one even exists in your area.

2012-01-12 10:02 AM

User image

Regular

I went and looked again at the property line.  They had a survey done before building the fence.  The cement footings  and one of the posts are for sure on my side as well as the retaining wall blocks that hold up the shed.  I was thinking of taking the blocks  away from the shed and throwing them onto their side. When the survey guy was first out last summer I took many picture of the lines he had up as I figured I would need them in the future. 

Really I am going to be cool about it.  They have a ton of money and I really do not want a contest.  But my sister and brother in laws are both lawyers.   Next time I see them walking their dog I will ask them about moving the bikes.  I will mention the local laws and that their shed is on my side.

These are the people that wash their mower before and after mowing.  Retired and it seems the lawn and house are the only hobby they have.  My wife and I go 100mph all the time and tend to leave stuff out and are not super concerned with how the lawn looks ( I am a golf super so I really do not like mowing and watering when I am home)We spend the weekends away from the house from April through hunting season.  And I do not water ( the horror)

I bet it doesn't help the I  made a BMX track in the backyard and we tend to be loud and have tons of fun out there.  I lost the battle for a half pipe and had to settle for the track with a start gate. 

I asked my son and he did not touch them.  He is 3 years old. 

Its now 8 deg outside and to cold to mess with it for now.  Thanks for the good ideas.  I was thinking that if the think the whole fence in on their side I should ask them to please weed-eat the fence line but to please stay of my property. 

Get the lead out...that is all

2012-01-12 10:30 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
Plant a nice stand of bamboo on your side of the fence, or kudzu if your climate will support it. Look at it as "supporting" their lawn grooming fetish. Also Chinese chestnut trees for that early springtime stanky funk. 
2012-01-12 12:14 PM

User image

Veteran
CT
Left Brain - 2012-01-11 5:35 PM

This is classic! Awesome post. Did you ever get along with this neighbor?

2012-01-12 1:56 PM
in reply to: #3985209

User image

Coastal Carolina

sulross - 2012-01-11 10:04 PM I would recommend that you have a polite discussion with them. Ask them if they came onto your property, mentioning that you've already asked the other neighbors. Then state that you understand their desire to have a privacy fence, but there are a few problems with it - #1 it touches your property line, which is not unusual, but it is unusual when both property owners aren't in accord with the action to install from the beginning. #2 - their shed encroaches onto your property line. The problem with this and the fence being installed on your property, as well, is that it places you in a position of liability for any damage, or maintenance, to these items. Ask them to give you something in writing that acknowledges you, and your family, hold no interest of ownership, nor responsibility for damages/maintenance to these items. See how interested they'll be when this comes up. It won't be received with joy, but as a person with a background in land development for residential purposes - I can't tell you how fast situations with people like your neighbors can rocket out of control. They are trespassing on your property and on your rights. You have to protect yourself. You could offer as a good faith on the fence to bypass this by stating you'll pay for 1/2 of the cost for the fence, but you aren't compelled to do so. As it stands, if the fence touches your property line, then you have the right to do whatever you want on your side as long as you don't damage the fence.

X2  It is surprising how many issues can be resolved by first talking and seeing if there is a common ground yall can agree on peacebly and letting them know that you requie them to observe some kind of boundaries...  If they aren't receptive to it go after them as hard as you can to get them to comply to the letter of the law.

My neighborhood has a home owners association so when I moved in I was required to get a permit to put up a fence or shed so do you not have one?  They might be able to go after them instead of you, if my fence hadn't been approved they would have fined me and eventually put a lein on my house, just a thought.

2012-01-12 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3986460

User image

Pro
ctbrian - 2012-01-12 12:14 PM
Left Brain - 2012-01-11 5:35 PM

This is classic! Awesome post. Did you ever get along with this neighbor?

No, I never did.  He was a classic crazy, crabby old man with a crabby old wife.  Their own grown children never even came around.  They harassed alot of neighbors over the years for a number of issues.......but they never bothered me again.  It has been my experience that once someone realizes you are willing to fight stupid with even more stupid.....they get smarter.  It doesn't always work, but it's usually worth a laugh or two regardless.

2012-01-15 3:03 PM

User image

Regular

Ok. the lady next door came over and asked me to move my Lawn Mower because when she looks out her kitchen window she can see it.  I asked her if she moved my bikes.  She said sure I did they were leaning on my fence.  I told her to never come on my land again and I will look into moving the mower. 

I could not believe her attitude about it.  She was so smug and condescending to me that I am about to go buy more stuff to put up next to my mower.  Its sad because I really want to have a good relationship with all people around me but this is pushing my buttons a little. 

Any ideas now? 

2012-01-15 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3991546

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Chuckhead - 2012-01-15 4:03 PM

Ok. the lady next door came over and asked me to move my Lawn Mower because when she looks out her kitchen window she can see it.  I asked her if she moved my bikes.  She said sure I did they were leaning on my fence.  I told her to never come on my land again and I will look into moving the mower. 

I could not believe her attitude about it.  She was so smug and condescending to me that I am about to go buy more stuff to put up next to my mower.  Its sad because I really want to have a good relationship with all people around me but this is pushing my buttons a little. 

Any ideas now? 

Move the mower. Do you really want a war?
2012-01-15 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3991546

User image

Payson, AZ
Chuckhead - 2012-01-15 1:03 PM

Any ideas now? 

I'd have told her to put blinds on her windows and close them so she can't see the mower. 

2012-01-15 3:59 PM
in reply to: #3991568

User image

Champion
New York, NY
bzgl40 - 2012-01-15 4:21 PM
Chuckhead - 2012-01-15 1:03 PM

Any ideas now? 

I'd have told her to put blinds on her windows and close them so she can't see the mower. 

^^^^^ this

And I would have added that she was trespassing when she moved your bikes, that touching your bikes and moving them is technically larceny, and that fences ON the property line mean that your side is YOURS - that perhaps she should have spoken to you first - maybe then you would feel more like even entertaining doing anything for her.

2012-01-15 4:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
replace the mower with pink flamingos or something inflatable.  If she complains throw up a couple of wind chimes.
2012-01-15 5:17 PM

User image

Regular

My wife said we should build the half pipe I have always wanted.  She knows of the perfect spot.....

Still baffled  by the whole situation. 

2012-01-15 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3991758

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Chuckhead - 2012-01-15 6:17 PM

My wife said we should build the half pipe I have always wanted.  She knows of the perfect spot.....

Still baffled  by the whole situation. 

YES!!

and put a gnome next to the mower

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Neighbor Fence Questions Rss Feed  

of 5