of 5

2012-01-15 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3984798

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Neighbor Fence Questions
Left Brain - 2012-01-11 5:35 PM

Wait until they are not home, then move some of their stuff around.

A long time ago in a land far away I planted 13 hedges on my property line...actually what I thought was about a foot on my side. I was just a kid and it was my first house...so who knows?  I spent all day planting them and then when I was inside doing some dishes in the evening I look out and my wack job neighbor was running over each of them with his riding lawnmower.  I ran outside and he was done....looked up at me and says, "you should have asked if you could plant those on the property line" and then drove away on his mower. 

The more I thought about it that night the madder I got......about 1 in the morning I grabbed my camp saw and went over and cut down a 20 - 30 foot oak tree that fell across his driveway.

The next morning I wake up to a loud knock on the door and it's a Police Officer.  He proceeds to tell me about the neighbor's tree and how the neighbor suspects I did it for some reason.  I told the Officer that I did not cut down any trees, but I sure hoped he caught whoever did it because there seemed to be some kind of serial tree hater running amok as I had been the victim of 13 hedges being cut down just yesterday.

The Officer looked at me, smiled, and said, "thanks for your time, sorry to bother you". Laughing

So bad yet LMAO.  I did something not as bad at all.  I trimmed the line of evergreen on the what I thought were ours.  I thought I did a great job, cleaned up and everything.  The neighbor thanked me for the great job and then bought over a gas power hedge trimmer said it was mine but had to keep the hedge trimmed.  I guess not bad at all got a hedge trimmer out of it and instructions on trimming them every year.  Hated selling that house but took the hedge trimmer with me. 

2012-01-15 8:45 PM
in reply to: #3991546

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Chuckhead - 2012-01-15 4:03 PM

Ok. the lady next door came over and asked me to move my Lawn Mower because when she looks out her kitchen window she can see it.  I asked her if she moved my bikes.  She said sure I did they were leaning on my fence.  I told her to never come on my land again and I will look into moving the mower. 

I could not believe her attitude about it.  She was so smug and condescending to me that I am about to go buy more stuff to put up next to my mower.  Its sad because I really want to have a good relationship with all people around me but this is pushing my buttons a little. 

Any ideas now? 

I'd buy a boat on a trailer it makes a nice lawn ornament.  I bring mine over for the winter. 

2012-01-15 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3991546

User image

Elite
Reno
Chuckhead - 2012-01-15 3:03 PM

Ok. the lady next door came over and asked me to move my Lawn Mower because when she looks out her kitchen window she can see it.  I asked her if she moved my bikes.  She said sure I did they were leaning on my fence.  I told her to never come on my land again and I will look into moving the mower. 

I could not believe her attitude about it.  She was so smug and condescending to me that I am about to go buy more stuff to put up next to my mower.  Its sad because I really want to have a good relationship with all people around me but this is pushing my buttons a little. 

Any ideas now? 

I suggest some old commodes to set on your lawn, and read the paper sitting on them every sunday morning.

I think you need to meet with them formally and outline what you see as their trespassing, the local ordinance about fences ON property lines, and their shed built across the property lines.   Also be prepared to listen to what they have to say regarding the asthetics they seem to think so important. 

2012-01-15 10:02 PM
in reply to: #3982120

User image

Elite

Moving your mower is a completely ridiculous request... unless of course you live in one of those ridiculous places that demand that in the covenants. If it is the norm to have them in a shed or what ever... but seriously... move it cause she can see it???

It's easy to talk crap on the interweb. I generally don't like getting in contests with neighbors.... and I would just let stuff go... but thinking that it is OK to go on your property to move your stuff leaning up against your fence.... nawww, that would not fly. The fact she thinks it does and her request tells you exactly what she thinks of you. So AFAIC... it's already over before it started. You owe them nothing.

2012-01-16 7:44 AM
in reply to: #3992198

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
powerman - 2012-01-15 11:02 PM

It's easy to talk crap on the interweb. I generally don't like getting in contests with neighbors.... and I would just let stuff go... but thinking that it is OK to go on your property to move your stuff leaning up against your fence.... nawww, that would not fly. The fact she thinks it does and her request tells you exactly what she thinks of you. So AFAIC... it's already over before it started. You owe them nothing.

x2.  I would write them a letter, copy your lawyer brothers/sister.  Let them know it is unacceptable to trespass on your property.  Any future trespassing will be reported to the police.  End of story.

Your Garmin was missing from the bike after they moved it right?

2012-01-16 7:59 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Have the property surveyed and find out exactly where the fence is and then discuss with them where the fence is.  If it is truly on the property line, and your city ordinance (get this confirmed) says if a fence is on the property line each owner has rights to their side only, but remember, if it fails you also have to pay half to repair/replace it.  If your side is actually yours,  Put hooks and hangers on it to use it as you wish.  But, make sure first, and explain that to your neighbor.  If you actually live in a community run by special codes, take it their first.

For me, I built my privacy fence on my side of the property by three feet, so I have to mow and trim on the outside of it also.  But this also allows me to do what I want on both sides of the fence.  I have a small water feature and a 16' round pool, so I had to have a minimum of a 6' tall fence and locked gates to exceed city code and to make my insurance company happy.

Edited by flip18436572 2012-01-16 8:00 AM

2012-01-16 9:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON

Why not just have a quick chat with them. It may be a chance to actually get to know your neighbours a bit better.  I don't think it's something to start out guns blazing with, and it's highly doubful they are sitting in there  house thinking of evil intentions to drive you nuts. 

If they are the problem, and it does goes anywhere, well at least you can document the time/date you tried to resolve the issue with them amicably, if indeed it was them coming onto your property.  Courts like it when your positive.  But I'm wondering if this is making mountains out of mole hills. 

As for the shed, fence on your property, yup.  Thats not permitted.  At least here in Ontario.  If it is an issue, contact your municipality, and they can compel them to move / remove the shed/fence.  Let them do the dirty work.

2012-01-16 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3992482

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
flip18436572 - 2012-01-16 8:59 AM

Have the property surveyed and find out exactly where the fence is and then discuss with them where the fence is.  If it is truly on the property line, and your city ordinance (get this confirmed) says if a fence is on the property line each owner has rights to their side only, but remember, if it fails you also have to pay half to repair/replace it.  If your side is actually yours,  Put hooks and hangers on it to use it as you wish.  But, make sure first, and explain that to your neighbor.  If you actually live in a community run by special codes, take it their first.

For me, I built my privacy fence on my side of the property by three feet, so I have to mow and trim on the outside of it also.  But this also allows me to do what I want on both sides of the fence.  I have a small water feature and a 16' round pool, so I had to have a minimum of a 6' tall fence and locked gates to exceed city code and to make my insurance company happy.

Also, look at your town's website. Ours has the GIS maps available and you can satellite view the property lines. My neighbor had done a survey for his yard and I doubted the results. Our realtor told us the property line was in the center of the large rock divider. Turns out, by the GIS map, he was correct and my assumption was 7 feet of property I thought was ours was theirs.

Edited by pitt83 2012-01-16 9:15 AM
2012-01-16 9:37 AM

User image

Regular

They had a survey done when they built the fence.  As far as them as people they have treated all the people around me with the same disdain. 

Across the street we have a great older couple and the man likes to park his pickup in the street.  They call the police every time its there.  The local law says that is needs to move once every 24 hours or it has to be in the driveway.  I offered to move it a foot each day when I leave for work but they put it somewhere else.  People on the other side have a little dog that likes to come over and say high to us.  They called animal control and the neighbors had to pay $89 to have him jumped from the pound.  Told them they will call each time they see it out of the yard.  This dog is a 9 pound mix breed that is super friendly and older.   Local kids will get yelled at if the skateboard in front of their house. 

So for now I am going to ignore them and leave it at that.  And buy a boat and a huge pink garden shed......

2012-01-16 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3992710

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Chuckhead - 2012-01-16 9:37 AM

They had a survey done when they built the fence.  As far as them as people they have treated all the people around me with the same disdain. 

Across the street we have a great older couple and the man likes to park his pickup in the street.  They call the police every time its there.  The local law says that is needs to move once every 24 hours or it has to be in the driveway.  I offered to move it a foot each day when I leave for work but they put it somewhere else.  People on the other side have a little dog that likes to come over and say high to us.  They called animal control and the neighbors had to pay $89 to have him jumped from the pound.  Told them they will call each time they see it out of the yard.  This dog is a 9 pound mix breed that is super friendly and older.   Local kids will get yelled at if the skateboard in front of their house. 

So for now I am going to ignore them and leave it at that.  And buy a boat and a huge pink garden shed......

Some people make humans look bad. They sure do sound grumby and miserable.

2012-01-16 10:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago Area

You definitely need to find out what your local law is with the fence and shed. 

When I purchased my last house I was told at closing by lawyer that the neighbors fence was on my property andif I had problems with them I could force them to take the fence down and rebuild it on their property.  They were good neighbors so there were no issues.

If I were in your shoes and the law was the same I would kindly tell them to stay off my property or I will have them remove the shed and fence that is on my property.

And I really like the idea of  getting a gnome to put next to the lawn mower, maybe one that is waving.

2012-01-16 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3992837

User image

Melon Presser
Bmel - 2012-01-17 12:37 AM

You definitely need to find out what your local law is with the fence and shed. 

When I purchased my last house I was told at closing by lawyer that the neighbors fence was on my property andif I had problems with them I could force them to take the fence down and rebuild it on their property.  They were good neighbors so there were no issues.

If I were in your shoes and the law was the same I would kindly tell them to stay off my property or I will have them remove the shed and fence that is on my property.

And I really like the idea of  getting a gnome to put next to the lawn mower, maybe one that is waving.

x2, and don't forget some pink flamingos to match your new pink shed!

2012-01-16 1:24 PM

User image

Master
North Alabama

You should guard your stuff better. I hear this will work nicely...

2012-01-16 1:56 PM
in reply to: #3993187

User image

Champion
New York, NY
LostSheep - 2012-01-16 2:24 PM

hahahahahaha awesome!!!! line them up all down the property line!!!!!! 

2012-01-16 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3993187

User image

Melon Presser
LostSheep - 2012-01-17 3:24 AM

cantstopraffing!

2012-01-17 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3991643

User image

Coastal Carolina
TriToy - 2012-01-15 4:59 PM
bzgl40 - 2012-01-15 4:21 PM
Chuckhead - 2012-01-15 1:03 PM

Any ideas now? 

I'd have told her to put blinds on her windows and close them so she can't see the mower. 

^^^^^ this

And I would have added that she was trespassing when she moved your bikes, that touching your bikes and moving them is technically larceny, and that fences ON the property line mean that your side is YOURS - that perhaps she should have spoken to you first - maybe then you would feel more like even entertaining doing anything for her.

X3.  If they are calling Animal Control about a dog coming into their yard yet they are coming over into your property to tell you to move your mower, moving your bikes w/o permission advise them that you will criminally prosecute them for tresspassing on your yard.  And have them remove their shed from your property line.

Wait how can they see your mower over the fence that they built?

2012-01-17 1:06 PM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river

I think youre going to be battling with these neighbors no matter what you do.  And it seems like they are trying to establish their dominance over the area.   

If they're so hung up on the law to make one neighbor move his truck, you need to also inform them of the law and have them move the shed, stay off you property and if the fence is on the property line then you have every right to do to your side what you want - like leaning your bikes on it.  If they dont want you leaning bikes on it, then have them move the fence, otherwise, that half is yours.

And Im not sure what your local covenants are, but I doubt that theres one about unattended lawnmowers.  What next, they dont like the color of your house?

2012-01-17 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3995303

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I'd try to them riled up, on tape, and then apply for a restraining order.   I feel bad for the local police to have to deal with this, but I don't think I could stop myself from calling the local precinct if I saw them on my property (retraining order or not). 
2012-01-17 2:39 PM
in reply to: #3986032

User image

Master
Oceanside, California

After further review of new information, my response still remains....

eabeam - 2012-01-12 7:55 AM

Ultimately, regardless of the type of person you are, your choices fall into two categories.

1. Dealing with the matter head-on in a legally compliant and protected matter.

2. A range of everything else from well-intentioned to passive to downright nasty, all of which leave you exposed to be legally screwed down the road.

My advice is that this means you have 2.5 real options.

1. Get professional, legal advice explain that you want to be a good neighbor and have to live next to these people, but that you want to be protected and legally by-the-book.

2. Everything else, so long as you understand that you will probably get screwed.

1/2 option ----- Some municipalities have community ombudsmen/complaint alternative dispute resolution type of offices that help address some matters. However, I don't know the quality or legal coverage that they provide, if one even exists in your area.

2012-01-17 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California

Oh, and I would add installing a security camera.

2012-01-17 2:48 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

make sure you paint your side of the fence in very cool BMX kid type colors, so when you make them move it for being on your property, they have a nicely painted fence..

I would also paint that part of their shed on your property to match.

Some people cannot be dealt with reasonably.

2012-01-17 2:53 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
I know a couple of nice, loud hardcore bands that need a good outdoor practice space...
2012-01-17 2:58 PM
in reply to: #3992655

User image

Regular
NE MISS.
pitt83 - 2012-01-16 9:13 AM
flip18436572 - 2012-01-16 8:59 AM

Also, look at your town's website. Ours has the GIS maps available and you can satellite view the property lines. My neighbor had done a survey for his yard and I doubted the results. Our realtor told us the property line was in the center of the large rock divider. Turns out, by the GIS map, he was correct and my assumption was 7 feet of property I thought was ours was theirs.

Don't go by GIS maps or a realtor to determine where the property line is!! The only way to know for sure is to have it surveyed by a licensed land surveyor.   GIS maps are used for information only. They are very useful for approximations and to locate utilities but are not tied into the boundaries. Realtors will only make an assumption based on what they have been told or what appears to be the line.  Most places there should be iron pins at the corners of your property.  But the only way that you can be sure that they are right is to have an accurate survey done. 

I am a surveyor and I generally advise my clients to set their fence back a few inches from the property line.  That way they know that they have full control of the fence they are about to build.  I would need to check with an attorney and see what the law or opinion is locally.  Assuming where a property line can be a lot more costly than a survey.

2012-01-19 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3995673

So what's new with the fence?  I check this thread every night

2012-01-19 9:01 AM

User image

Expert

I had an issue with a neighbor a few years ago.  Started out fine, nice people, etc.  Eventually, this neighbor started harassing other neighbors about barking dogs, etc.  Got to the point to where he told me that he was fine with taking everyone to court so that he could sit on his back patio without hearing a dog bark.

Then, he started having issues with the trampoline in my yard, a car parked on the street (even telling me once that 3/4 of said car was in front of his house), and a fence that he said was six inches on his property.

After reaching my boiling point, I took the following action:

put a bug zapper up near the fence between the houses - he wouldn't hear a dog at night, but he would hear the comforting sound of bugs being electrocuted

installed a motion-activated spotlight that inconveniently shined into his yard whenever triggered

informed him that I had an active imagination, and fully understood my 1st amendment rights, including my ability to comment on his spouse's weight, and habit of coloring her hair whenever I saw them in the back yard

Strangely enough, that combination of these actions seemed to break him.  Had no more issues after one month of the above. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Neighbor Fence Questions Rss Feed  

of 5