General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GI issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-05-07 4:07 PM

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
Subject: GI issues

I have felt my stomach getting a little queasy after 2.5 + hours a couple of times in the past, but it has gone away pretty quickly. Today, I did a bike run brick, and felt it coming on towards the end of the run. Didn't seem too bad, but once I got in, my stomach revolted and has been doing so all after-friggin-noon! I'll leave the details out, but it's been pretty unpleasant. Last night's dinner was Tuna helper and garlic toast with a couple glasses of red wine. Then, Edy's light vanilla silk ice cream for desert. Breakfast was the usual HN Cheerios and banana, and then had a plain bagel but with light cream cheese and jelly 20 minutes before leaving. On my bike for 1:20, I had a water bottle of G-ade and 1/2 a bottle of water. Had a GU about 1/2 way into the bike. Transitioned in my garage and finished the water bottle. Ran for 1:10 without water - cooler day here in NH- no problem. Had another 1/2 bottle of G-Ade and a big glass of chocolate milk. (This is new - been reading here and other places how it's a great recovery drink) It would be easy to blame it on the chocolate milk, but I'm not sure if that was it. Took some pepto once it started, but it didn't seem to do much. Just had a glass of ginger ale...

Anyone else have similar issues?  Anyone have success dealing with them?  Anything obvious in my diet that might cause this?  Thanks !

2006-05-07 4:44 PM
in reply to: #417001

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: RE: GI issues
Nothing you had is unusal.  I've had the same foods and been ok.  How often is this happening, is this a first.
2006-05-07 7:19 PM
in reply to: #417021

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH

parrj - 2006-05-07 5:44 PM Nothing you had is unusal.  I've had the same foods and been ok.  How often is this happening, is this a first.

First time it's been this much of an issue.  Better now, but it took 3-4 hours...Foot in mouth

2006-05-07 7:37 PM

User image

Master
Maine
I've had problems before with GU plus gatorade (got pretty nauseous during a race).  I know that hammergel warns about mixing their products with simple sugar products like gatorade, so I'm assuming that you could get the same problem with GU.
2006-05-07 7:53 PM
in reply to: #417118

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH

huskyboy - 2006-05-07 8:37 PM I've had problems before with GU plus gatorade (got pretty nauseous during a race).  I know that hammergel warns about mixing their products with simple sugar products like gatorade, so I'm assuming that you could get the same problem with GU.

Hmmm. So GU with water only?  So what's OK with Gatorade?  Hmmm...

2006-05-07 9:15 PM

Albuquerque, NM
I use Accelarade with Power Gels and don't have problems doing bricks, but after my shower I have problems with gas.  My wife thinks its because of the protien in it?  Who knows.  Are you lactose intolerant?  If not try Endurox next time and see if that helps.  I'm not a milk drinker, so I can't help there.  Good luck.

2006-05-07 9:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
I would bet an allergic reaction to something (preservative, lactose intolerance, etc.)... but, you did mention it was your first time for it to be this serious... so, it could have been a combination of a minor stomach bug with a allergic reaction... where the stomach bug compounded the allergic reaction.

That's my WAG

Joe Moya
2006-05-08 7:21 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Not trying to freak you out or be over-reactive, but last spring I had similar issues.  Except my "reactions" were more like intense attacks of pain in the solar plexus area.  Anyway, they led me to see a GI doctor and by Sept. I was tested for and diagnosed with Celiac Disease/Gluten intolerance.  I'm not saying I think you have that, but my point is that if you are concerned you should see a doctor because there is lots of stuff it could be that you don't even know about.

2006-05-08 7:52 AM
in reply to: #417128

User image

Master
Maine
immyfish - 2006-05-07 8:53 PM

huskyboy - 2006-05-07 8:37 PM I've had problems before with GU plus gatorade (got pretty nauseous during a race).  I know that hammergel warns about mixing their products with simple sugar products like gatorade, so I'm assuming that you could get the same problem with GU.

I go with gel and water most of the time. At Timberman last year I had GU and HEED during the run, which seemed to work fine for me. Problem is that most races have gatorade.

2006-05-08 7:55 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

I like to lay off dairy products becuase it causes me to have stomach issues.  I switched from regular milk to soy milk.  Cream cheese, chocolate, milk, icecream, cereal- sounds like a lot of dairy if you ask me.  I wouldn't be able to handle all that, but everyone is different and some people wouldn't have issues eating those things.

Were you hydrated enough?  Lack of hydration can also be a cause. 

Edited by runnergirl29 2006-05-08 7:57 AM
2006-05-08 2:24 PM

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
I have to agree that the heavy dairy component in your diet might be an issue. I also noticed a lot of processed foods and fat -very little veggies or protein. Fat makes a tummy unhappy when it's excercising, as does dairy. Try peanut butter (instead of cream cheese) and jelly on a bagel before your workouts. Instead of ice cream try flavored yogurt - the bacteria will be helpful for your GI. Also instead of cheerios and milk eat it with regular low fat yogurt for more protein and happy bacteria with your banana.

You only had 1 GU in all that time? No water for over an hour? Your stomach got used to no food and water for a while and then you dumped chocolate milk on it? No wonder it revolted! For anything over 1 hour you have to consistiently consume calories and liquid. Try eating/drinking a little every 15 minutes to keep your stomach in the swing of things.

I was having trouble in my first season with GI issues and would take a pepcid or tagement before training and racing. helped a lot with toning down problems, now that i figured out what works for me, i don't need the pepcid. I eat every 15 minutes, just a mouthfull with some water. I use accelerade and Honey stingers for short distance. hammer products for anythign over 5 hours. This plan has kept me fom bonking and having GI issues for over 2 years.

Hope this helps!

2006-05-08 2:27 PM
in reply to: #417180

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
ABQkid - 2006-05-07 10:15 PM

I use Accelarade with Power Gels and don't have problems doing bricks, but after my shower I have problems with gas.  My wife thinks its because of the protien in it?  Who knows.  Are you lactose intolerant?  If not try Endurox next time and see if that helps.  I'm not a milk drinker, so I can't help there.  Good luck.

Accelerade and gas, *sigh* I hear ya on that one. I'm usually belching on the bike only later to be passing gas on the run! Don't run behind me!
2006-05-08 2:33 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
immyfish - 2006-05-07 5:07 PM
Breakfast was the usual HN Cheerios and banana, and then had a plain bagel but with light cream cheese and jelly 20 minutes before leaving.

If you ask me, then this is your problem. No food between three hours and 10 minutes before an intense workout. Both of those things you listed were probably in that zone. This info. is based on the Hammer Nutrition book/pamphlet which is a collection of articles that are some of the best nutritional advice I have ever read ......... they said it is a big no-no to eat within that timeframe as it will either lead to bad performances or GI issues in most athletes.
2006-05-08 3:07 PM
in reply to: #417348

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
huskyboy - 2006-05-08 7:52 AM

I go with gel and water most of the time. At Timberman last year I had GU and HEED during the run, which seemed to work fine for me. Problem is that most races have gatorade.

Not to hijack this, but I've been wondering about this. Looking at Hammer's site, the only real explanation for their admonition not to mix complex and simple sugar that I could parse from their article is that they assume you'll get the concentration wrong. I can't see why you can't combine them if you pay attention.
2006-05-09 5:21 AM
in reply to: #417180

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH

ABQkid - 2006-05-07 10:15 PM I use Accelarade with Power Gels and don't have problems doing bricks, but after my shower I have problems with gas.  My wife thinks its because of the protien in it?  Who knows.  Are you lactose intolerant?  If not try Endurox next time and see if that helps.  I'm not a milk drinker, so I can't help there.  Good luck.

Thanks!

Never had problems with lactose before.  Someone else made a good point about an hour + without water or anything, then chugging a glass of milk - probably not too swift... :-)  Thanks for your thoughts!

2006-05-09 5:26 AM
in reply to: #417183

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH

Joe M - 2006-05-07 10:24 PM I would bet an allergic reaction to something (preservative, lactose intolerance, etc.)... but, you did mention it was your first time for it to be this serious... so, it could have been a combination of a minor stomach bug with a allergic reaction... where the stomach bug compounded the allergic reaction. That's my WAG Joe Moya

Thanks, Joe.  That as good a WAG as any, I guess..Laughing.I've learned a lot from you here, so I really appreciate the response.   Looks like a trial and error thing with this time being the (hopefully one) error! 

2006-05-09 5:31 AM
in reply to: #417318

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
hangloose - 2006-05-08 8:21 AM

Not trying to freak you out or be over-reactive, but last spring I had similar issues.  Except my "reactions" were more like intense attacks of pain in the solar plexus area.  Anyway, they led me to see a GI doctor and by Sept. I was tested for and diagnosed with Celiac Disease/Gluten intolerance.  I'm not saying I think you have that, but my point is that if you are concerned you should see a doctor because there is lots of stuff it could be that you don't even know about.

Hey Loose,

Thanks for your concern.  It doesn't sound like we're dealing with the same thing here, although I appreciate your response.  I basically just couldn't stray more than 20 feet from the bathroom for about 4 hours... No intense solar plexus pain or anything like that.  Hope you're dealing with your Celiac disease OK.  It sounds like fun!?!!?  Thanks! 

2006-05-09 5:37 AM
in reply to: #417348

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
huskyboy - 2006-05-08 8:52 AM

Yup,

I believe Keith at Endorfun will be serving the Gatorade Endurance Formula at all three of his NH events this year (my 3 "A" races -as a matter of fact)  I'll have to pick some up soon, and experiment a little.  I can use my 1 (Grrrr) free gift card to get me started.... Thanks HB!

2006-05-09 5:43 AM
in reply to: #417351

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
runnergirl29 - 2006-05-08 8:55 AM

I like to lay off dairy products becuase it causes me to have stomach issues.  I switched from regular milk to soy milk.  Cream cheese, chocolate, milk, icecream, cereal- sounds like a lot of dairy if you ask me.  I wouldn't be able to handle all that, but everyone is different and some people wouldn't have issues eating those things.

Were you hydrated enough?  Lack of hydration can also be a cause. 

Great point!  that IS a lot of dairy in a 16 hour span.   Maybe I should be keeping a closer eye on the dairy intake near workout t imes.  I can't imagine no dairy at all, though...

And yes, I've got to get a fuel belt or something... Now that hour plus runs are becoming more regualar, I've got to find a way to rehydrate.  Sunday was cooler, so I didn't get thirsty, but we all know that by the time you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated...Thanks!

2006-05-09 5:54 AM
in reply to: #417809

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH

jeanneroth - 2006-05-08 3:24 PM I have to agree that the heavy dairy component in your diet might be an issue. I also noticed a lot of processed foods and fat -very little veggies or protein. Fat makes a tummy unhappy when it's excercising, as does dairy. Try peanut butter (instead of cream cheese) and jelly on a bagel before your workouts. Instead of ice cream try flavored yogurt - the bacteria will be helpful for your GI. Also instead of cheerios and milk eat it with regular low fat yogurt for more protein and happy bacteria with your banana. You only had 1 GU in all that time? No water for over an hour? Your stomach got used to no food and water for a while and then you dumped chocolate milk on it? No wonder it revolted! For anything over 1 hour you have to consistiently consume calories and liquid. Try eating/drinking a little every 15 minutes to keep your stomach in the swing of things. I was having trouble in my first season with GI issues and would take a pepcid or tagement before training and racing. helped a lot with toning down problems, now that i figured out what works for me, i don't need the pepcid. I eat every 15 minutes, just a mouthfull with some water. I use accelerade and Honey stingers for short distance. hammer products for anythign over 5 hours. This plan has kept me fom bonking and having GI issues for over 2 years. Hope this helps!

He he.  Well said, Jeanne!  When you put it that way - duh!! 

Yup, looks like a fuel belt will be in order asap.  I'm usually pretty good about salads, and fruit etc...but not so much this past weekend...My wife usually cooks up good meals, but wasn't able to last weekend - so, of course, with me doing the cooking, it's Tuna helper night!  Embarassed  It's a wonder I even lived through my single days... Thanks for your thoughtful reply!

2006-05-09 5:56 AM
in reply to: #417818

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH

Daremo - 2006-05-08 3:33 PM
immyfish - 2006-05-07 5:07 PM Breakfast was the usual HN Cheerios and banana, and then had a plain bagel but with light cream cheese and jelly 20 minutes before leaving.
If you ask me, then this is your problem. No food between three hours and 10 minutes before an intense workout. Both of those things you listed were probably in that zone. This info. is based on the Hammer Nutrition book/pamphlet which is a collection of articles that are some of the best nutritional advice I have ever read ......... they said it is a big no-no to eat within that timeframe as it will either lead to bad performances or GI issues in most athletes.

Rick,

Great point! I'll have to check out those articles.  Now that I'm getting into HIM workouts, I can't "fake it" anymore with my nutrition.  Thanks!

2006-05-09 6:01 AM
in reply to: #417858

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
dgunthert - 2006-05-08 4:07 PM

Not to hijack this, but I've been wondering about this. Looking at Hammer's site, the only real explanation for their admonition not to mix complex and simple sugar that I could parse from their article is that they assume you'll get the concentration wrong. I can't see why you can't combine them if you pay attention.

This is very interesting... We need some more expert input here....Excellent question!  Thanks, Dennis...

2006-05-09 7:12 AM
in reply to: #418407

User image

Master
Madison, WI
I'm lactose intolerant. Your reaction (no straying from the bathroom) definitely sounds familiar.

If you decide to try to reduce the dairy component in your diet, there are a few things you can try. Goat milk products (milk, chevre, etc) are often more easily digested than cow. (For me, I can eat them, in limited quantities.) Also, I fine rice milk much more palatable than soy. I really hate soy milk, not to mention the fact that I have some issues with soy digestion as well.

My lactose intolerance has gotten progressively worse over the years. It used to be I could eat some pizza if I didn't have any other dairy that day. Or, I could indulge in some ice cream occasionally. Not anymore. And, it seems the more exercising I do, the less my body wants to deal with dairy.

Good luck - do some experimenting. Note that it takes at least a few days for your body to really register a major change in diet like elimating dairy foods - so try cutting them out for a few days and see if you notice a major difference in how you feel.
2006-05-09 7:15 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
David,

I think Rick nailed it. Anytime I eat (whatever it is) too close to a long/hard workout I end up having bad GI issue (read my half marathon race report at FL ) Ever since I figured that out I ALWAYS eat at least 2 hrs before and I try to avoid heavy/grease food. I am not a the best athlete following super healthy diets as more often than not I end up eating some comfort food, BUT the few simple rules I follow are: eat 2 hrs before any workout (the harder/longer the workout the more calories I eat and vice versa). I try to drink 24 oz of sports drink 1 hrs before workout and continue drinking while exercising. ALWAYS, take a recovery drink after long/hard workouts or just hydrate with sports drink after short ones. When possible it is better to eat actual food over recovery drinks (more nutrients) and as general diet I try to avoid processed, fried or food with a lot of saturate fat.

2006-05-09 7:28 AM
in reply to: #417858

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
dgunthert - 2006-05-08 3:07 PM

I don't have the right references with me at the moment but at the USAT certification one of the speakers was a great nutritionist and she mentioned that the reason to consume gels with water was due to the fact that water helps to absorb those carbs faster in the body. Since we cannot replenish the same rate of carbs burned as energy when working out and the ones we drink/eat one to one, it is better if we allow/help the body to absorb it faster. She also mentioned that when consuming gels and sports drinks at the same time might cause for the stomach to work harder to process the high concentration of carbs and this might cause GI problems. I am sure I am not making a good job explaining this as lucid and clear as she did but it is something like that, HA!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GI issues Rss Feed  

of 2