General Discussion Triathlon Talk » any smart doctor types in here? heart question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-14 5:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: any smart doctor types in here? heart question
A close friend of mine sent me this message... I'm paraphrasing. " I've been told I have a congenital heart defect that has caused my aorta to dilate . . . Translation: I have an aortic aneurysm & I have to have open heart surgery". Shortly before surgery, his aorta ruptured... How bad is this? Scary because he's super fit, eats right, probably the healthiest person I know. I know its not too "tri specific" but I've seen some knowledgeable posts from some clearly educated people on this site... Just hoping someone can help me wrap my head around this. Thanks so much.

2012-01-14 6:00 PM
in reply to: #3990550

User image

Expert
Ontario
Subject: RE: any smart doctor types in here? heart question
I'm not a doctor but work on a vascular surgery floor. If your friend lived through the rupture and had the aneurysm repaired then it is should be no worse than if he'd had the surgery as scheduled. The problem with ruptured aortic aneurysms is that usually people don't even know it was there and are not able to get surgery in time to save them. This happened to my daughter in laws mother a couple years ago and by the time she go to hospital it was too late.
2012-01-14 7:41 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
agree with the above response (I am a doctor).  If he survived the rupture he will be fine.
2012-01-14 9:04 PM

User image

Elite
I hate to ask but from your post it seems open ended. Did he make it to surgery? And is stable?If he did he is very lucky and should be happy about it.Regarding wrapping your head around someone being visually and generally healthy. Aneurysms can happen to anyone . There are multiple factors that can contribute but someone can be typically healthy and have one of these silent potential killers in their body with no symptoms . Sometimes it can be genetic like marfans syndrome etc so unfortunately many people could have little to no warning. Unfortunately some of us on this board coud have one and not even know.If your friend is ok , I am happy about it , if not , I feel for you and his family
2012-01-14 9:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the info guys! To clarify, he was in surgery when I posted... You had all the info that I had. Since then he has come out of surgery and is in recovery. He will be pretty out of it for the next few days. It seems he was ahead of the game, spent 20 or so hours in one hospital before he was transfered to another for the surgery... To the best of my knowledge it ruptured a few hours before the surgery was originally scheduled and they moved it up a bit. How would one know something was wrong?
2012-01-14 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Oh... And thanks so much for the thoughts. I sincerely appreciate it.

2012-01-14 9:23 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Thinking positive healing thoughts for your friend!

2012-01-14 10:31 PM

User image

Bronze member

Scary stuff. My Dad had a aneurysm. They found it while he was being scanned (or whatever you do) for cancer. We've always been just a little thankful he had cancer otherwise he would have died from the aneurysm! That has been almost 20 years ago and he's lived a very full life since then.

Glad to har your friend is doing well.

2012-01-15 5:30 AM
in reply to: #3990808

User image

Elite
tstruyk - 2012-01-14 10:13 PMThanks for the info guys! To clarify, he was in surgery when I posted... You had all the info that I had. Since then he has come out of surgery and is in recovery. He will be pretty out of it for the next few days. It seems he was ahead of the game, spent 20 or so hours in one hospital before he was transfered to another for the surgery... To the best of my knowledge it ruptured a few hours before the surgery was originally scheduled and they moved it up a bit. How would one know something was wrong?
Whew! Glad to hear he made it to surgery. Even if it's a long recovery it could have ended worse. To answer your question , you could have no warning. Some and I stress some could have back pain that have a "pulsating" quality to it but this is not usually picked up nor commonWish him a speedy recovery.

Edited by FELTGood 2012-01-15 5:34 AM
2012-01-15 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Off the ventilator and moving out of icu already, recovering faster than expected! Thanks for the peace of mind gang.
2012-01-15 3:56 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

sounds like he has several things going for him:

-it was known

-he is physically fit

When patients have these things, even a ruptured thoracic aortic aneurysm can be less bad

(it can be a very bad situation-any ruptured aneurysm is a surgical emergency)

People who are born with something genetically different in their aortic walls are susceptible to weakening of the walls and enlargement of the aorta (an aneurysm)-the most common being in the belly (abdomen)

Some people are born with a 2 leaflet aortic valve rather than a 3 leaflet valve-another common congenital heart problem=bicuspid aortic valve, and this is associated with a thoracic aneurysm very frequently

Good luck in the recovery process. Be positive and supportive!

DT

(cardiologist)

2012-01-15 8:32 PM
in reply to: #3991638

User image

Veteran
dtoce - 2012-01-15 3:56 PM

sounds like he has several things going for him:

-it was known

-he is physically fit

When patients have these things, even a ruptured thoracic aortic aneurysm can be less bad

(it can be a very bad situation-any ruptured aneurysm is a surgical emergency)

People who are born with something genetically different in their aortic walls are susceptible to weakening of the walls and enlargement of the aorta (an aneurysm)-the most common being in the belly (abdomen)

Some people are born with a 2 leaflet aortic valve rather than a 3 leaflet valve-another common congenital heart problem=bicuspid aortic valve, and this is associated with a thoracic aneurysm very frequently

Good luck in the recovery process. Be positive and supportive!

DT

(cardiologist)

. Thank you for the info! He just called me and gave me the low down... It was the 2 leaflet aortic valve that got him (he mentioned John Ritter). He's still recovering faster than expected but of course he will be recovering for a while. Thanks again guys.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » any smart doctor types in here? heart question Rss Feed