General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wanting to relocate to NC Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-15 11:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Wanting to relocate to NC
My family (parents when they were growing up) is originally from NC and I also went to college (UNCG) there, we also make it down to Oak Island a couple times a year. Have always lived in Northern VA but now that the daughter is graduating college in May we are starting to knock around the idea of relocating. we are looking for a less crowded, less hectic area than the suburbs of Washington DC. I work as a project manager in telecommunications and my wife is an executive admin with a large defense contractor. We would like the area to be tri friendly (safe roads to bike and run and hopefully some open water swimming options) and maybe a tri club. Any suggestions of areas in NC that could fit our requirements?Thanks

Edited by gti123 2012-01-15 11:52 AM

2012-01-15 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3991307

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Subject: RE: Wanting to relocate to NC
I would say at least check out Moore County, NC.  We have the Pinehurst/Southern Pines/Aberdeen area.  It is near Fayetteville/Ft Bragg.  Lots of military folk choose to live here instead of Fayetteville.  Only 100,000 people (approx.) in the entire county.  Pinehurst is the largest town with 12,000 residents.  Great cycling community and open water options at Pinehurst marina, Seven Lakes community and Whispering Pines community.  The Sandhills Cycling Club is located here and we have the Sandhills Sandspurs Triathlon Club based out of the FirstHealth Center for Health and Fitness.
2012-01-16 7:24 AM

User image

NC

Maybe someone from the Davidson area will chime it, but that seems really good.  Excellent pool nearby, OWS, good roads and it's a college town.  In fact, I'm in Charlotte and getting ready to pack my stuff up to drive up to Davidson for a ride.  You're close enough to Charlotte if you need something "big city."  I'm not sure about clubs up that way.

2012-01-16 7:44 AM

User image

I think I should chime in and describe the Wimington area. It's terrific for swimming (both pool and open water) and it's easy to find people to practice OWS, biking is getting better all the time with active tri clubs and groups the ride from the various bike shops, and the running is great. The only drawback for training is that we lack the serious hills that most of the other places around the state have. If you are considering beach areas Wilmington is a great city, it's convenient to the Raleigh area, UNC Wilmington provides cultural and athletic events, and not as remote as the Outer Banks. If you play tennis, it has more USTA tennis players per capita than any other region in the State!
2012-01-16 7:55 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

X2 on Moore County...

Pinehurst, Whispering Pines, Southern Pines, Aberdeen...excellent places to live in. Family friendly, active community, and pretty centrally located. I have really grown to like it here in the 2 months we've been here.

Good luck!

2012-01-16 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3992473

User image

The Triangle is the place to be no doubt, and specifically Chapel Hill, but of course I'm a bit biased Laughing.

Living in close proximity to UNC, Duke and NC State is amazing for cultural events and activities and there a tons of great races and tri groups to choose from.  Triangle Multisport, One Step Beyond Coaching, Tri Stacey, group rides and runs with Inside Out, open water swimming in Jordan Lake and Aquathon events is a bit of what is available to triathletes in the Triangle.  Add great BBQ,  ACC sporting events... what else could you want?

2012-01-17 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3993996

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Ubear97 - 2012-01-16 9:48 PM

The Triangle is the place to be no doubt, and specifically Chapel Hill, but of course I'm a bit biased Laughing.

Living in close proximity to UNC, Duke and NC State is amazing for cultural events and activities and there a tons of great races and tri groups to choose from.  Triangle Multisport, One Step Beyond Coaching, Tri Stacey, group rides and runs with Inside Out, open water swimming in Jordan Lake and Aquathon events is a bit of what is available to triathletes in the Triangle.  Add great BBQ,  ACC sporting events... what else could you want?

X2 on this. It has a good job market compared to the rest of NC (along with Charlotte) as well (assuming you need to work). For just triathlons, Triathlete mag voted Cary (near Raleigh) and Wilmington in the top 25 places to live for triathlons. I live in Cary and it is great for training...plenty of pools, lake, open spaces, etc and as mentioned above, if you like group rides there are groups leaving IOS as well as the other bike shops. Lots of trails too.

2012-01-17 2:20 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

I moved to the Triangle after living in the greater DC area for 16 of 19 years. I haved in Raleigh now for 5.5 years. One thing you will not miss is the traffic. Virtually any road in NC is better than any road in the DC area. Having said that, NC roads are not known for having generous shoulders. I live in North Raleigh. If I was moving to the Triangle again I would move to the Cary/Apex/Chapel Hill side of town. It is MUCH easier to get to good riding roads and their are more of those routes on that part of town. I love to ridw around Jordan Lake.

IOSDT has a large triathlon team, and FSseries and Setup Events both put on a large number of races in NC. There are a good number of quality bike shops throughout NC.

So come on down!

2012-01-17 3:37 PM

Regular
Raleigh

I have to be a +1 for the Triangle area.   The tri scene is great, but if you're not yet talking about retirement it's also likely your best bet for employment in the telecom. industry.  I would imagine that your wife's skill sets would also be well suited to many of the high tech companies around here.

Compared to the DC suberbs it will certainly quieter.  I guess one of the questions I would have is how quiet do you want it?   Plenty of places where you can escape, but the Triangle has a pretty vibrant arts/entertainment scene; the three major universities add a lot to the community; sports teams (e.g. Carolina Hurricanes; Durham Bulls); some of the better restaurants etc.   Cost of living is a bit higher than some local areas, but nothing compared to DC!   Reasonably well positioned between the coast and the mountains.  I guess that it depends what you are looking for.

Can't argue with Ubear and DougRob about the triathlon opportunities - a very vibrant tri community!

2012-01-17 4:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Raeford, North Carolina

If you've gathered anything from all of these replies, it should be this--NC is where you wanna be. It doesn't matter what type of training you want to get in, you're only a short drive from it!

(x3 on the fayetteville/Moore county area!)

2012-01-17 4:47 PM

User image

Regular

I live by Lake Norman (Huntersville to be exact) - so great riding up in Davidson, great training facility at HFFA (will likely share the pool with Olympic swimmers if you want) - plus we have literally a sprint tri within 15 mile radius of my house every month

Cool Breeze and HFFA in Huntersville (April) - Jetton Park in May in Cornelius - Latta in Huntersville in June (very popular) - July we have Stumpy Creek in Mooresville (one big drive?) which is an Oly and Sprint, Lake Norman in August in Cornelius and finally a Super Sprint in October in Huntersville (Take Flight).

You can be in Boone is 2 hrs to hit some serious mountain training (go enough for Lance - good enough for me

Lake Norman Y has bi-weekly open water training in the summer. 

Tons of riding groups up here (Huntersville Business Park is a riding hot spot for sure).

We even now have our own half marathon come December - plus the Warrior Dash - yeah its in Huntersville too..

2012-01-18 6:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for all the info everyone!  Based on the responses we need to get down there sooner rather than later!
2012-01-18 7:27 PM
in reply to: #3994725

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
louiskie - 2012-01-17 10:30 AM

Ubear97 - 2012-01-16 9:48 PM

X2 on this. It has a good job market compared to the rest of NC (along with Charlotte) as well (assuming you need to work). For just triathlons, Triathlete mag voted Cary (near Raleigh) and Wilmington in the top 25 places to live for triathlons. I live in Cary and it is great for training...plenty of pools, lake, open spaces, etc and as mentioned above, if you like group rides there are groups leaving IOS as well as the other bike shops. Lots of trails too.

X3 on the Triangle!
2012-01-19 8:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hattiesburg

For the most triathletes I'd go Triangle Area.  Southern Pines is really nice for cycling, but not as big of a tri community.  Wilmington is good but sometimes the cycling can be scary.  I lived in Sunset Beach - good flat riding, good pool at the Brunswick Community College but zero other triathletes.

2012-01-19 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3999150

User image

Elite
Raleigh
gts - 2012-01-19 9:34 AM

For the most triathletes I'd go Triangle Area.  Southern Pines is really nice for cycling, but not as big of a tri community.  Wilmington is good but sometimes the cycling can be scary.  I lived in Sunset Beach - good flat riding, good pool at the Brunswick Community College but zero other triathletes.

All the more reason you are missed in NC!

2012-01-19 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

I would highly recommend two areas:

The Lake Norman area where I live (Mooresville).  Davidson is probably one of the most biking-friendly places in the country and there are so many great places to open-water swim.

The Cary/Triangle area.  The home of Inside Out Sports and TONS of triathletes!

Seriously.  After San Diego and Boulder, CO, I think this next of the woods may be the third biggest hotbed for triathlon.  Check out the number of local annual races:  http://www.setupevents.com/

2012-01-19 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3999278

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Bigfuzzydoug - 2012-01-19 10:18 AM

I would highly recommend two areas:

The Lake Norman area where I live (Mooresville).  Davidson is probably one of the most biking-friendly places in the country and there are so many great places to open-water swim.

The Cary/Triangle area.  The home of Inside Out Sports and TONS of triathletes!

Seriously.  After San Diego and Boulder, CO, I think this next of the woods may be the third biggest hotbed for triathlon.  Check out the number of local annual races:  http://www.setupevents.com/

And more local races here: www.fsseries.com (lots in and around the Raleigh area)

2012-02-13 7:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC, metro

I'm utterly new to the triathlon thing, so I don't have info for you on that end.

However, I lived in the NoVa/DC area for about 7 years before getting married, so I know what you're living in and what you're looking for.  My husband just retired from the military, and the most obvious place for us to go permanently was DC.  I told him I'd rather jump off a bridge.   

We looked very, very seriously at the Raleigh/Triangle area and would have moved there in a heartbeat, but while my husband's employment offered some flexibility, they strongly preferred Charlotte to Raleigh.  We were disappointed, because we really, really loved the Triangle area for all the reasons listed above and then some.

That said... we have been so pleasantly surprised at Charlotte since moving here last year.  Great people, traffic that at its worst is still better than NoVa on a good day, easy driving distance to mountains OR beaches, more great people, and very active lifestyles.  It doesn't really seem like you can make a bad move coming to just about any area in NC.  Hope to see you here soon! 

2012-02-13 7:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC, metro
BTW, my husband may be a good source of info for the areas you and your wife work in.  He's a program manager with a large software company after doing comm stuff for the Air Force, and of course he probably worked with whichever defense contractor your wife works for!  LOL  Let me know if you ever care to touch base on that or on the relocation research we did on the Triangle and Charlotte.  (We also have fantastic realtors to recommend in both areas if you need anything.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wanting to relocate to NC Rss Feed