General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Finishers: Pulling the "trigger" on IM entry Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-16 2:39 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: IM Finishers: Pulling the "trigger" on IM entry

For those who have done an IM distance: When did you know you were close to being physically ready and mentally ready to register for your first IM distance race? or do you never feel ready?  Is there at least some unofficial/subjective evaluation of a previous race year to tell if you are 6-12 months away in your training?.....I seem to get the feeling that you just have to register and worry about it later!?

I presume, especially when it comes to most IM branded races , you have to take the plunge about a year from race day and lay down your money.  I also presume , most people who are entering for the first time are not ready...yet...but just decide to do it.

Why I am asking, you wonder?  To be as brief as possible, at the end of 2010 my goal for 2011 was to complete my first HIM, and 2012 to compete in my fist IM (IMKY 2012)...well I completed the HIM!!! however following the race I looked at my performance honestly (bike, hills etc) and realizing the reality of my life situation and training schedule and wanting to cross the IM finish line with a reasonable smile, that  I need another year at least to build more fitness especially on the bike. 

Therefore, in 2012 I am doing 1-2 HIM and a few others oly/sprints.  My new plan is to do either the IMNJ/NY in 2013 (1st choice, assuming its run in 2013) and if not IMKY, but what race is trivial at this point. 

I realize this August , especially for the NY/NJ race I will need to ante up and register.  My goal is just to finish .  I am confident if I lived in a hypothetical vacuum and all I had to do was work and train (dont we wish lol) I could be ready later this year, but fatherhood, married life etc...usually derails some training at times and I dont want to rush it.

However, I was wondering if anyone had the same thoughts before they signed up and raced? or at least in retrospect where do they think their fitness should have been at to have a reasonable chance to finish. 

I realize this will be very subjective, but interested in your thoughts on this

thanks

2012-01-16 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3993349

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: IM Finishers: Pulling the "trigger" on IM entry

Pull the trigger.

Then train.

You will never feel really ready. Once you commit to it in your mind, then sign up you will be motivated. You are taking a thoughtful approach which is wise. You must have time to train, and if the time in your life is right, take the leap.

2012-01-16 2:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh

Yep, just pull the trigger!

If you really, really want it ~ you will find a way.

I signed up for my first IM without even owning a bike (I really, really wanted it!).

Good luck & enjoy the pursuit (it is most definately worth it)!

2012-01-16 2:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Also, look at the first weeks of IM training plans. They should look trivial. I "pulled the trigger" with two oly's and one marathon under my belt, and it worked out great. But I was able to find the time just about every day to stay on my plan. Those are the main things -- the first weeks can't be a stretch, and you have to have the time and discipline to follow the plan day after day, week after week. If those are both true, I'd green light it.
2012-01-16 3:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado

Another vote for pulling the trigger.

I registered for my first IM before having done any tris at all.  It gave me great motivation to train.

As Samuel Johnson said: "When a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully."

2012-01-16 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, NC
While I don't have kids yet, I think it's a lot like parenthood...are you ever REALLY ready?  I say do it, plenty of people in tight situation have done it. You will find a way to make it work.

2012-01-16 3:23 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Only you can know. Asking here is asking a bunch of enablers.

I'm impressed you changed your goal after finishing your HIM. Most don't listen to that little voice that says maybe the original plan should be altered.

You need to consider....

family: are they on board? Anything expected that might conflict with training?

work: how will training load line up with busy time of year?

desire: do you have it?

injury history

ability to train consistently

expense

I changed my mind as well after a tough race that I came in last. I trained another 14 months until I did that distance again with much better results.

Be open to listening to your little voice to decide to sign up or not. Many just caught up in the excitement and sign up.

2012-01-16 3:25 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I didn't make up my mind to do my first IM until about two months before the race.  I was just completing buildup for an HIM and since things were going well I thought I could do it with some cramming on my bike.

It is hard now with most IM's selling out a year in advance.  You just don't know what is going to happen with injuries, etc.  I figured since I was on a roll to just pull the trigger.  If you are healthy and have the support from family then do it while you can.  You never know what the future will bring. 

2012-01-16 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3993431

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Kathy once again came through with a great answer.

IM can be consuming of time, money and energy and it manifests (wow, big word for Monday) in a different way for each of us. For me going into my second IM distance this year, I am much more focused on injury prevention. I'd make sure your body is ready to sustain the training load.
2012-01-16 3:30 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Are you committed to training for an Ironman?  (And as KathyG pointed out, is the family on board with that committment?

If so, sign up.

If not, don't.

2012-01-16 3:31 PM

User image

Elite
KathyG - 2012-01-16 4:23 PM

Only you can know. Asking here is asking a bunch of enablers.

I'm impressed you changed your goal after finishing your HIM. Most don't listen to that little voice that says maybe the original plan should be altered.

You need to consider....

family: are they on board? Anything expected that might conflict with training?

work: how will training load line up with busy time of year?

desire: do you have it?

injury history

ability to train consistently

expense

I changed my mind as well after a tough race that I came in last. I trained another 14 months until I did that distance again with much better results.

Be open to listening to your little voice to decide to sign up or not. Many just caught up in the excitement and sign up.

Thanks everyone fore their responses...i guess a part of me knew the answer before asking.  Fortunately my training continures to go well and I am grinding out jorges plan on the trainer. Even in the winter I seem to be making gains and will be stronger this spring compared to last

Re: Kathys questions

Family: yes on board but may need to explain those long bike rides, but my youngest next year will be 4 so it will be a lot easier on wife

Work: good thing is I am self employed so I have flexibility, the bad thing is I am self employed, so many times if I dont do it , it doesn't get don

Desire: All I THINK ABOUT, if not taking care of job, kids and husband dutues lol

Injury: shush!!!! so far so good (while knocking on wood)

expense: ok with that and the nY race is in my backyard

Ability to train consistently: essentially yes, but as mentioned life issues get in the way so there will be obstacles but hopefully no more than others.

So I presume after my HIM in May and a couple oly and sprints in June July , if I still have the drive, I will do it!!! thanks...even though the answer sometimes is right in front of you its good to hear others perspective thanks again

2012-01-16 3:37 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I did a non m dot so I registered 45 days before. Although I had committed training wise to doing one and was following my plan I did not feel comfortable registering far in advance, certainly not 1 year in advance however I could barely run 21k a year before. Now I would have no problem pulling the trigger from that far away.

Good luck.
2012-01-16 4:46 PM
in reply to: #3993448

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
McFuzz - 2012-01-16 3:30 PM

Are you committed to training for an Ironman?  (And as KathyG pointed out, is the family on board with that committment?

If so, sign up.

If not, don't.

^^This. If you have the time and support to prepare, then pull the trigger. Then let the fear of what you just did drive you.

2012-01-16 4:52 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-01-16 4:54 PM

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

the most difficult thing for me was signing up a whole year in advance (for many IM's this is the case), and battling all the obstacles that pop up over time.

many variables over the year may threaten your race plans, and be prepared to fight to keep them on track. 

the key to success, is your deep down commitment to the race. if you pull the trigger, you are married to the concept.

2012-01-16 5:06 PM

Champion
Dallas, TX
If your heart is in it, your body will follow. I think signing up is half rational thought and half heart. But sounds like you made a good choice already. I'm sure you will do it again. But don't let fear keep you from pulling the trigger.

Othewise, keep in mind, it's not just the long bike rides that keep you busy. When you train 10-15-18-20 hours a week... it's day in and day out training. You really need to sit down and show your wife the reality of the training and get her to sign off on that before you pull the trigger.

I know for me, I have a hard time keeping up with chores, I don't have energy to go out, etc. when I'm into full on IM training mode. Things to thing about.

Good luck!

2012-01-16 6:45 PM
in reply to: #3993393

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

It wasn't about me being ready physically or mentally.  My training took care of that.

For me, it was about preparing my boss, staff, and most importantly, my wife and daughters for the selfish endevour that I was undertaking.

While my race was important, it was more important that I keep my job and family.

2012-01-16 6:59 PM

Regular
NW

Go for it!  I am in my third IM season and I envy your position.

For me, the training, prep, anticipation, unknowns of training for the first IM will remain one of the highlights of my life.  For me, IM was all about the journey to the starting line.

The race just gave conformation to the journey traveled.  I met so many wonderful people who helped me along the way who are still great friends today.  Sign-up soon!

2012-01-16 7:31 PM

Veteran
Fort Wayne IN
Absolutely be sure family is on board and understands completely what you are about to do and they will love "The Day" as much as you! Good luck and just pull the trigger you will know you are ready when they hang the medal around your neck!
2012-01-16 7:35 PM

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I decided that I wasn't really ready in 2011..... And then my name got pulled out of the Kona lottery. Suddenly I was ready whether I was ready or not. I got the whole family on board and trained my rear off and had a great experience. I couldn't have done I without the support of my family.
2012-01-16 10:07 PM

Master
Central Indiana

Where does your fitness have to be to just finish an IM??  You might look at some popular beginning IM training plans to get an idea.  I bought Fink's book & basically followed Intermediate Plan.  Look at the workout schedule & honestly try to see yourself keeping up with it give your motivation, health, & overall life situation.  As non-athlete I had survived a couple marathons & a HIM before I started thinking my middle age body just might hold up to iron distance.  With DW support & burning some vacation time I knew I could stick to a training plan if I made the commitment. FWIW- I would not train to just finish but aim for 14-15hr race to allow a cushion. Something always happens during 140.6mi to challenge you. 

For 1st IM I chose to do independent race (non-IM branded ironman) that does not fill a year in advance.  A buddy really enjoyed B2B & kept encouraging me to tri it.  Was able to get half way into my training plan before being forced to pull trigger as B2B entries were selling out.  When signing up I had some confidence from good training to that point (no injuries!!), but still wondered what the h*!! I got myself into.  I think the latter is just part of the 1st IM experience.  It can be an interesting, enjoyable, & rewarding journey.

And add my +1 to KathyG's advice.

Good luck whatever you decide!!

2012-01-16 10:35 PM

Master
Royersford, PA
Pulling the trigger and putting your money down a year in advance is a great insurance policy to help make sure you put in the training. Personally, I have never felt "ready" for any of the six Ironmans I've done. And about 3 months before I signed up for my first IM (IMFL in 2006), I finished my first HIM and swore up and down there was no way in the world I could do a full, but I pulled the trigger anyway and had a year to learn from my mistakes and train right and get it done. For your first Ironman there is such a large level of unknown you never will get to in training (ie what do I do 11 hours into the race when I can't stand the thought of another friggin GU or cup of Gatoraid?).

Good luck and have fun!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Finishers: Pulling the "trigger" on IM entry Rss Feed