General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Am I Crazy!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-17 9:45 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: Am I Crazy!!!

Yes I am crazy and I have a very dry sense of humor too.  I've been lurking these pages for a while and finally joined.  Anyway, I am a 50 y.o. male and on my bucketlist is an Ironman but 1st I have to learn to swim.  U see I think I'm on drugs... from a nonswimmer to an Ironman...am I crazy...yep!  I've always wanted to do an Ironman or even a mini tri but couldn't swim so I decided to be a gym rat.  I get up at 3:30 everyday and head for the gym..drives my wife CRAZY...  anyway I was watching the Hawaii Ironman and said, this is crazy, letting swimming hold me back from something I want to do.  We even have a pool in our back yard and I can't swim.  So I've gotten w/ a Tri competitor and excellent swimmer to teach me to swim.  BTW, it is legal to put a life jacket on under ur wetsuit...lol and maybe some arm floaties...

My bike is ordered too.  It should be here in a few days.  I am  used to running just to keep my fat down.  Wife is a marathoner and she told me I'd have to quit the gym to train for a tri...  I said I would do both...She disagreed...and ya'll know the saying...if wife ain't happy......

PRAY for ME and my stupidness.

2012-01-17 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3994765

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Am I Crazy!!!

Not crazy at all.  Not even close but maybe a bit bug bitten (that being the Triathlon bug) so it is beyond your control.  Your wife being a marathoner should be a big help as well.

I got bitten at Ironman Canada 2010.  Last year I volunteered for 5 days at IMCanada 2011 and had an amazingly fantastic time.  I highly recommend volunteering to learn what it is all about.  Nov 22 I started swimming lessons 2X per week and since New Years 3X per week.  Yesterday I swam 1Km for the first time (1093yds) and my goal is an Olympic Tri June 17th this year.

3weeks before I started swimming I turned 61 so you're young yet.  In fact you'll find that the average ages are only a bit younger than you.  You'll find BT a great place to learn and it is very supportive as well.  For me I love the swimming and I feel at home in the water.  I'm a complete beginner at running but I'm up to 5K with a few 10Ks under my belt and I love cycling BUT my big bugaboo is descending downhills on the bike - I'm comfortable up to 50Kph so I have to work on that fear.

Have fun and good luck.

2012-01-17 10:29 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
I admire your spirit, Tallahassee. I decided to do a triathlon in 2012 myself, and I also didn't know how to swim when I made that decision. I am now happily taking swim lessons at my local pool, and loving every moment! I think with enough grit and determination, and...several hours a week in the pool, it can be done! Best of luck!
2012-01-18 11:20 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Thanks for all the support..right now I am nervous as a long tailed cat amongst a bunch of rocking chairs...  If I can just get the swim part down.  I thought I knew how to ride a bike but after reading a lot of info here, I haven't got a clue.  Hopefully my bike will be here soon...got it of ebay and I really beginning to wonder...

Reading a lot of race reports is interesting...  I've learned a LOT...see I thought swimming 100 yards would take like 15 minutes but I see folks doing it in less than 2...very discouraging...then seeing people run 6 - 7 minute miles after the swim and bike...my hat is off to everyone who had even tried a tri, even if they didn't complete it!!!

2012-01-18 2:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

The fast people you speak of are on the same path as you they're just a bit further along than us.  When I started on the bike I could only manage about 10mph (with headwinds and hills) yesterday I was cycling at 32kph (20mph) without wind or hills.  When I started I was amazed to imagine just walking 3miles and I couldn't run or swim at all.

Now I'm up to 8hrs of workout per week with a pretty good balance of swim, bike and run.  I was thrilled to get up to 5 minute runs/5min walk.  In the last few weeks I've run 40 min continuous and 10K distance.  I am not bragging, I'm slow and improving only painfully slowly but I keep passing milestones that I considered impossible only a short time ago.  Soon, very soon, you'll start knocking off some milestones too and you will see that you can do these things.

Your bike will be a revelation for you.  Hopefully you can practice on some paved cycle paths before venturing in to traffic (I avoid traffic as much as possible).  Get a pro bike fit to set your bike up for you it makes a BIG difference.  A bike computor that tells you your HR, cadence, speed and distance is really helpful and keep a log here to refer back to.  It amazes me to look back and see what I was doing only 6 weeks ago compared to now.  Ask at your local bike shops if there are any beginner group rides - it is a great way to accelerate your learning curve.

I find my improvements seem to come in spurts so that I go along for a few weeks without any change and then I read something here that takes me ahead a few notches again - so keep reading and setting modest goals.

Have fun. 

2012-01-20 11:48 AM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON

No you're not crazy.  You are if you think you can get it done this July.

You might have to cancel the gym to get the funds to do the ironman, however.  But seeing that you probably work out 12+ hours a week, you will have this problem:  You probably can only run 2 hours a week to start, cycle for 2-3 hours and swim for 1.5.  You will feel like you aren't getting enough exercise.  So it might be a good idea to keep up the gym until you increase your ability to handle longer hours on the road.

2012-01-25 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

No I just want a sprint this summer and maybe an Olympic this fall.

My bike came in last night.  Taking it to the shop to get it fitted and everything today!

Any advice on a good bike hitch rack or ones to avoid?  It will be attached to my Tundra.

2012-01-25 9:28 PM

User image

New user

If you have a class 3 hitch receiver ...Thule's are a great model.  Started w/ a cheap one from walmart...after getting more and more into the biking, made the plunge w/the thule for our Explorer.   Much easier to manage.

Good luck with the swimming.  I've been doing Tri's for about 3 years now.  I've seen little bits of improvement over that time...it is a rollercoaster.  I do believe I have improved my overal fitness (in my mid 40's).  I also have only added the gadgets as I saw a need for them.  Every year I add a new piece of equipment or 2.  I'm currently waiting on a heart rate monitor.  I read Friel's book for the first time triathlete, and followed one of his plans.  You can find it on Amazon.  That was my most helpful tool.  This website is pretty cool too!

2012-02-07 9:21 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Me again.  I've been to the pool 2x and still can't swim...I know...I know...  I've been waiting on an instructor well they either don't return calls or won't return e-mail.  What I'm doing is WRONG.  I know someone said there was a good swimming instruction video somewhere on this site...  I can't seem to find it...I know I looked at it but didn't buy cause I was getting an instructor but that may not happen.  If anyone knows the link, will U please post it for me.

Thanks

2012-02-09 11:14 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Heh, it takes a lot for some of us to learn how to swim.  It's the monkey on a lot of people's backs here.  Keep at it and get good instruction.
2012-02-09 5:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hey Karl,

I love your enthusiasm! Yep, you have it bad, welcome to tri!

You mentioned a swim video, not sure which you were looking at but I like to look at swimsmooth.com, it has a cartoon guy with perfect form, I like to look at it b/f a swim and get it in my brain, maybe something to try, at least till one of these instructors gets back to you. It also has good reads on form and catch, peruse the site and see if you can apply some of the tips.

Patsy

2012-02-09 7:16 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Are you crazy?  No, "crazy" would be entering the water at the start of the race not knowing how to swim well enough to safely finish it (i.e. counting on the lifeguards to rescue you or swimming kayak to kayak)

Not legal to put a lifejacket on under the wetsuit, but the wetsuit itself will provide enough bouyancy to keep you afloat.  (No, don't think about splashing around in a wetsuit as a substitute for learning to swim either)

Sometimes, you have to set big goals (completing an Ironman) and then figure out how to achieve them (take.some.swim.lessons).  Nothing crazy about that. 

2012-02-10 5:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

No not crazy at all. Its nice to see that you have a goal you want to achieve. I been running marathons for 8 years and biking for just as long. Just started getting into tri's last year. I did not even know how to swim, a drowning rat could swim faster than me. Time in the pool and open water and i am a more confident swimmer. i had a hard time staying afloat, i am a small guy to (5'9" 145lbs) got so frustrated, i decided to get a swim coach. And now my freestyle is much more fluid and less like a dog paddle.

You will get there. Just be patient and consistent. Maybe get a swim coach for some good swimming techniques. Good Luck!!

Edited by yarislab 2012-02-10 5:23 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Am I Crazy!!! Rss Feed