General Discussion Race Reports! » Long Beach Island Annual Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Long Beach Island Annual Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Brant Beach, New Jersey
United States
DQ Events
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 05m 8s
Overall Rank = 27/331
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/30
Pre-race routine:

Get there and setup. Smallest race I've ever been in. Inflated tires and checked transition setup several times. Took all extraneous gear off the bike for short race.
Event warmup:

Got to wade in the bay and put my face in try swimming. It was colder than I had expected it to be. I'm really glad that I got to get my face wet a few times early so I didn't experience the shock.
Swim
  • 05m 55s
  • 402 meters
  • 01m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was the first time I actually jockeyed for position at the start. Based on the results from the previous year's race, I knew that I had a legit shot to podium. I had practiced strategy for a 400m several times with my coach, and I was mentally preparing myself. I really wanted to establish myself in the front of the pack in the first 100m in order to get a clear swim.

When I got out of the water I knew I had a great (for me) swim b/c there was almost nobody out in front of me at all.
What would you do differently?:

I would have swam the entire course ahead of time. For some reason I never actually made a turn during the swim, but I still managed to swim in the curve which is made by this course.
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

36/331 overall.

This is where experience paid off. I passed 3 or 4 guys who came out of the water before me just by being quick about getting my shoes and helmet on. I didn't waste much time at all on my way out to the road.
Bike
  • 33m 57s
  • 11.88 miles
  • 21.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Nailed it on the bike. At first I thought that maybe I was doomed when I turned back into the wind, but then I realized that everybody else was struggling mightily as well. I think it helped a lot to be in aero w/ a cone helmet for this windy section of the race. If you look at the race data it looks like something you'd see from doing an indoor training video.

I wouldn't stray out into the middle lane at all because I almost collided with a police motorcycle heading straight for me. Also I would have swapped my cassette for the 11-23 because I ran out of gears when going with the wind. In this situation it would have benefited me to have bigger gears at my disposal when going w/ the wind.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No data for T2 for some reason. I hit the button on the Garmin at the wrong point too, so that's not helpful. I do know that there was a little kid that told me that I was the 11th person off the bike in the race. This gave me great hope that I could make the podium for my AG if I didn't get passed during the run. I thought this b/c several other younger male AG started with mine and I figured a fair amount of those guys were the ones off the bike in front of me. Thanks little kid for the race update!
Run
  • 24m 27s
  • 3.25 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Yes! That Z4 training paid off handsomely! Within a half mile after the start I paired up with a guy who was in the AG below mine and ran with him most of the way. It was great to have a buddy to pace with. I had my 310XT and he said he wanted to try and stick to about a 7.5 min/mile which was what I figured I could max at. I told myself that I wasn't going to let anybody in my AG pass me if I could help it. :)

In the last .3 of a mile I left my buddy and poured it on because I saw somebody creeping up on me. I managed to hold him off barely at the finish line only to find out he was in a different AG. I figured better safe than sorry at that pt! If I knew his AG, maybe I wouldn't have killed myself.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around and smile because only a handful of guys had finished at that point.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind!

Event comments:

Its the hometown race and I had to do it. Its the first race where I took home hardware (a nifty mug)! There really couldn't have been a better finish to my season. I was so proud of myself for going beyond my training goals.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:55 | 402 meters | 01m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 53/331
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless 2xu
Course: In Barnegat Bay making a curve point-to-point.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:21
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:57 | 11.88 miles | 21.00 mile/hr
Overall: 20/331
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/115452898
Wind:
Course: 3 loops of South on LBI, turn then North on LBI.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:27 | 03.25 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Overall: 0/331
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/115452907
Course: 2 loops around a neighborhood by the bay.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes