General Discussion Triathlon Talk » In Between Off-Season and IM Training Plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-19 5:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
Subject: In Between Off-Season and IM Training Plan
I'm doing my first IM in November at IMFL. Most of the training plans I am looking at are around 20-24 weeks. I did my last HIM in September, and have had a pretty non-eventful, relatively low volume off season. Logs are not really up to date, due to a laptop crash (on BT mobile most of the time and it's just a hassle to log in workouts on the Blackberry). I know its time to start to ramp up, but what exactly would most of you experienced IM'ers do in the next 20 or so weeks? Besides some local sprints, Oly's and a Sept HIM I don't really have any concrete race plans. IMFL is certainly my A race for 2012.

2012-01-19 8:09 PM
in reply to: #4000380

User image

New user
Gallatin, TN
Subject: RE: In Between Off-Season and IM Training Plan
I am on a similar path. Signed up for IMFL did my first half last May - Gulf Coast. I talked with a trainer recently and he suggested training for a May Oly and then starting the IM Plan. I am starting a 16 week plan to get my volume up to 8+ hours a week and at least a couple of 3 hour bike rides in the mix.

Then I am going to use the BT IM plan and just add an extra week of prep. Gives me a purpose, shouldn't be so much that it will burn me out, and let's me build volume slowly. I have an August Oly and Sept Half scheduled at the appropriate times. Seems like a solid plan at this time, and I am impatient to get started, so hopefully it will keep me from going too crazy too soon!
2012-01-20 7:02 AM

User image

Veteran
peoria, az

I'm far from an expert! I have started with an aggressive Oly plan from the BT site to get me in good shape for Memphis In May. I figure that will give me a good base and then move to the Be Iron Fit plan for the summer and IMFL. I plan to do one half IM sometime late in the season just as a training race. Not sure if it will be Augusta?

I will be following this thread to see what others have to say on the topic. Smile

2012-01-20 8:31 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
When I had "off" months between training plans, I just did what I felt like doing. I swim, ran and biked as much or as little as I wanted to. I tried to keep a general level of fitness but I didn't stress myself out with a strict training plan.

I find that if I have to follow a strict schedule all the time, I get annoyed and burned out. It is always a great mental break to just "have fun" with training.

2012-01-20 10:53 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I don't really qualify as an experienced IM'er since I'm training for my first, but I can share what I did. I'm doing IMNYC in August - signed up a year ahead of time. I just decided to work on consistency in training, and building/maintaining a solid base, especially for running. I more or less followed the Barry P running plan, running 5-6 days/week, and kept 3 or so cycling sessions per week. I didn't do much swimming up until recently, because it's my least favorite, and it actually seems to come back pretty quickly for me, so I feel like I can afford to take time off from swimming. I haven't been following any specific schedule or plan (other than sort of following Barry P), and didn't sweat missing a day here or there. I have probably been consistently putting in about 8 - 10 hours per week, but most of it pretty easy on the intensity scale (with the exception of biking) and not really very structured. I'll officially begin IM training in about a month, and have now shifted trying to get in 5 runs, 4 bikes, and 3 swims per week. My logs are reasonably up to date if you want to take a look and see what I've been up to (I did take some time off of logging over part of the summer, but the past couple months are pretty accurate).
2012-01-20 3:45 PM
in reply to: #4001001

User image

New user
Gallatin, TN
LisaF - 2012-01-20 7:02 AM

I'm far from an expert! I have started with an aggressive Oly plan from the BT site to get me in good shape for Memphis In May. I figure that will give me a good base and then move to the Be Iron Fit plan for the summer and IMFL. I plan to do one half IM sometime late in the season just as a training race. Not sure if it will be Augusta?

I will be following this thread to see what others have to say on the topic. Smile

Gonna see you at Memphis in May. A closer half (though hilly) is a new one by Start-2-Finish NashVegas near Nashville. Timing is perfect if you are interested.

2012-01-20 6:00 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

If you have not done an IM before I would spend some time building base.  Long slow rides and runs.  I think most people underestimate the value of these types of phases before progressing to higher intensity workouts.  While everyone might not agree, I am having more long term success with durability by incorporating more of this type of training into the early season.  Build a strong base with patience over the months leading up to your 20 week plan.

http://www.sportingperformance.co.uk/Aerobicbasetraining.htm

2012-01-21 5:38 AM

User image

Veteran
peoria, az

Popsracer, Very good info!! I totally agree! Thanks

Bill, I was at Nashvegas last year but could not race (in a cast because I was hit by a car on my bike). The hills scare me. I'm not a good hill climber. It would be a challenge for sure. See you in May!

2012-01-21 9:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN

Lisa, I did Nashvegas last year and the hills are tough, but totally doable.  The timing is really good for IMFL, but so is Augusta.  It's also a great deal cheaper than an IM branded 70.3.  Aren't hills just speed work in disguise?  I am really considering it being my lead in 70.3 again. I'll be at Memphis In May again.

Pops, agreed about the base building.  My concern is that I typically respond better to intensity over volume, but I realize this is a totally different ball game for IM.

I read the BarryP stuff over on ST and it really makes a lot of sense for strengthening the run.  The bike is my strength overall and I need to work on the run.  I also, need to make some technique corrections on the swim to round out the training.

So much to do, and so little time.  I just signed up for IMFL in November, and now it's only 41 weeks away.

2012-01-21 9:17 AM
in reply to: #4002456

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
popsracer - 2012-01-20 7:00 PM

If you have not done an IM before I would spend some time building base.  Long slow rides and runs.  I think most people underestimate the value of these types of phases before progressing to higher intensity workouts.  While everyone might not agree, I am having more long term success with durability by incorporating more of this type of training into the early season.  Build a strong base with patience over the months leading up to your 20 week plan.

http://www.sportingperformance.co.uk/Aerobicbasetraining.htm

X2 - That's sort of what I was trying to say in my post - but you said it better!
2012-01-21 12:22 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

I personally subscribe to this line of thinking....more or less:

http://www.sdxtraining.com/new/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=212:inverted-complete&catid=23:articles&Itemid=41

Edited by acumenjay 2012-01-21 12:35 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » In Between Off-Season and IM Training Plan Rss Feed