General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2012 cycling race report thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-01-22 9:57 PM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Subject: 2012 cycling race report thread

I'll kick it off... Racing season started in AZ this weekend.

Avondale Crit #1 (still recovering from a broken collarbone from 7 weeks ago):

Course is all right turns, 'D' shaped with 3 quick 90's and a long sweeping ~180 (yes somehow it works), only ~.53 miles long.

Race 1 - Cat 5a - First crit since I was a junior (in the mid-80's). Woke up at 4:45 and drove 2 hrs to the race venue. Checked in, set up and tried to find my teammate with my team jersey. Didn't find him and used an old plain jersey. Started out good, stayed near the front on the right side (inside of all turns) of the course the whole race. Broke away for 1 lap mostly on accident. Finished with the front pack, 11th/50.

Race 2 - Cat 4/5 - Had to wait around for over 3 hrs for my next race. I would have raced the Cat 5b immediately after the 5a but it said it was closed on the web registration. When I checked in, they said it was open but I was already registered for the 4/5. Oh well. Started out further behind, stayed inside again for the whole race. This was a little faster, and I was tired from sitting around for so long. Since I can't sprint yet due to my collarbone (can't pull up on the handlebars), I practiced tail gunning and cornering at the back of the pack. I wanted to stay in contact the whole time and finish with the pack so I was happy. 38/75.

Man, crits start out so fast! It was a good experience. I have a ton of reasons why I didn't do better - plenty more than just the collarbone Smile - but overall I'm happy with both races. The 4/5 was my largest field by far and I was really nervous about crashing in both races (all turns to the right with a ~50% strong right clavicle means that a crash would have been really painful!). Normally I wouldn't say 'not crashing' is much of a race strategy but for this weekend and the next several that's my primary goal. Fun times!

2012-01-23 5:46 AM
in reply to: #4005147

User image

Master
Connecticut
Subject: RE: 2012 cycling race report thread

Nice job!

2012-01-23 7:19 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
MonkeyClaw - 2012-01-22 10:57 PM

I'll kick it off... Racing season started in AZ this weekend.

Avondale Crit #1 (still recovering from a broken collarbone from 7 weeks ago):

Course is all right turns, 'D' shaped with 3 quick 90's and a long sweeping ~180 (yes somehow it works), only ~.53 miles long.

Race 1 - Cat 5a - First crit since I was a junior (in the mid-80's). Woke up at 4:45 and drove 2 hrs to the race venue. Checked in, set up and tried to find my teammate with my team jersey. Didn't find him and used an old plain jersey. Started out good, stayed near the front on the right side (inside of all turns) of the course the whole race. Broke away for 1 lap mostly on accident. Finished with the front pack, 11th/50.

Race 2 - Cat 4/5 - Had to wait around for over 3 hrs for my next race. I would have raced the Cat 5b immediately after the 5a but it said it was closed on the web registration. When I checked in, they said it was open but I was already registered for the 4/5. Oh well. Started out further behind, stayed inside again for the whole race. This was a little faster, and I was tired from sitting around for so long. Since I can't sprint yet due to my collarbone (can't pull up on the handlebars), I practiced tail gunning and cornering at the back of the pack. I wanted to stay in contact the whole time and finish with the pack so I was happy. 38/75.

Man, crits start out so fast! It was a good experience. I have a ton of reasons why I didn't do better - plenty more than just the collarbone Smile - but overall I'm happy with both races. The 4/5 was my largest field by far and I was really nervous about crashing in both races (all turns to the right with a ~50% strong right clavicle means that a crash would have been really painful!). Normally I wouldn't say 'not crashing' is much of a race strategy but for this weekend and the next several that's my primary goal. Fun times!

Very nice congrats!  And very jealous, I think we have about 2 months before the first races in the Mid Atlantic.

2012-01-23 8:48 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Great job!!  I have a month and half before our spring series starts.

2012-01-23 1:01 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Nice.

Another month and a half until our spring series starts, so no racing yet. To keep me occupied, I'm riding in Hawaii at the end of February.

I'm impressed that there are so many categories that you can race.

2012-01-24 8:06 AM

Pro
yep,
Congrats on the placement right out the top 10 for your first race back from an injury.  I have a race/training race this coming weekend down in Richmond with some of the local team guys.  Should be fun, 2nd race overall and 1st race of the season. 

2012-01-28 4:02 PM

Pro
yep,

First Training race of the Season.  Sno Cone Crit in Richmond, VA 

Field size was much larger then usual (71 people).  Race consisted of Cat 4/5 and Jr. racers.  Course was a 1.2 mile loop with a slight up hill to start, 180 turn and back down the hill you just came up.  Two quick rollers before a right hand turn into the parking lot with two more right hand turns until you exit the parking lot.  Slight downhill until you hit the starting line again.

My whole goal was just to have fun and see where my training was. Straight off the start the pace accelerated and went off like a bullet.  I stayed on for about 3 laps before I got blown off the back.  Big ego drop but this again is a training race and you are allow to catch back on at the 180 turn.

Before catching back on I took a look at my computer with an avg of 23-24 and max of 34!.  I was quite surprised and just figured to try and stay on as long as I can.  I clip back on with the field when it came back around  and lasted another 3 laps before I met up with a team mate of mine.  We ended up pacing each other for about 3-4 laps before I was beat up again.  

Race had two laps to go so I pulled off and cheered on the guys as they finished.  Nothing in the top 10 for the team but still a good experience to go through.  Need to do more high threshold work and more distance.

I've changed my training plan a bit to add a long workout in the middle of the week with two HIT workouts and then a long ride on the weekend.  We'll see how that works.  

2012-01-28 4:24 PM
in reply to: #4016218

User image

Champion
Dlaxman31 - 2012-01-28 5:02 PM

First Training race of the Season.  Sno Cone Crit in Richmond, VA 

Field size was much larger then usual (71 people).  Race consisted of Cat 4/5 and Jr. racers.  Course was a 1.2 mile loop with a slight up hill to start, 180 turn and back down the hill you just came up.  Two quick rollers before a right hand turn into the parking lot with two more right hand turns until you exit the parking lot.  Slight downhill until you hit the starting line again.

My whole goal was just to have fun and see where my training was. Straight off the start the pace accelerated and went off like a bullet.  I stayed on for about 3 laps before I got blown off the back.  Big ego drop but this again is a training race and you are allow to catch back on at the 180 turn.

Before catching back on I took a look at my computer with an avg of 23-24 and max of 34!.  I was quite surprised and just figured to try and stay on as long as I can.  I clip back on with the field when it came back around  and lasted another 3 laps before I met up with a team mate of mine.  We ended up pacing each other for about 3-4 laps before I was beat up again.  

Race had two laps to go so I pulled off and cheered on the guys as they finished.  Nothing in the top 10 for the team but still a good experience to go through.  Need to do more high threshold work and more distance.

I've changed my training plan a bit to add a long workout in the middle of the week with two HIT workouts and then a long ride on the weekend.  We'll see how that works.  

Great job CJ, lol I've found around here training races can be more difficult than "real" races, that would be a faster pace than anything I did last year.

2012-01-28 8:16 PM

User image

Cal Aggie Crit Cat 3:

Lined up with one teammate in a field of 50.  Technical course that I don't particularly like, the back half of the course has a 60 degree turn followed by a sweeping roundabout which is then followed by two chicanes which spits you out 300m from the finish.  Wasn't expecting much as I have had a head cold/sinus infection the past two weeks.  My plan was to mark the guy that I expected to win who had a good group around him at all times.  Luckily, I'm friend with all of them and I was always within a bike length of him.  Long story short, they didn't execute their plan and the field bunched up in back half of the last lap and i was caught way too far back.  Moved up through the field to finish 17th.  The guy that I was expecting to win ended up 12th with teammates at 14 and 15.  There was a small opportunity to change my fate but I hesitated as it is to early in the season to wreck.

Cal Aggie Crit Pro 1/2/3:

One of the few 1,2,3 fields at a race in Northern California.  About 70 people lined up, no teammates and even less expectations.  Just wanted to get a good workout.  Since it was the first race of the year between my races I was hanging out with friends and I didn't eat or drink anything and and was to involved with conversations that I wasn't paying attention to the time so no warmup before the second race.  I was on the rivet the entire race just trying to hang on as the race was completely strung out single file.  Ended up pulling off with three laps to go due to massive cramp.

Overall pleased with the day and glad to get the first race of the season jitters out of the way.

2012-01-29 2:53 PM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ

Bike Haus Crit, Firebird East race course. Pretty neat course, clockwise 1.2 miles, 10 turns total w/ chicanes, sweeping 180 and ~135 degree tight turn into the finish.

Race 1: Cat 4/5 - Somewhat sketchy race, several crashes due to poor bike handling and cornering. I hung out at the edges in the middle, broke away for a lap with one other guy but he didn't want to work so I stopped too. Wanted to test my sprint so I made a small sprint to the finish to see how my shoulder feels. Felt good, finished with the pack.

Race 2: Cat 5 - VERY sketchy race! Lots of crashes, people not keeping their lines, shooting from one side of the field to the other, etc. Not good on a technical course like this (or ever). Right before the start of the final lap my teammate and I made a move towards the front on the inside (the peloton was pushed against the left side). As we were passing the front of the group, someone swerved out of the group and into my teammate. I thought he shouldered him but my teammate isn't sure. In either case, my teammate went down in front of me. I tried to swerve but ran into his rear wheel. The next thing I remember, people were standing above me badgering me with questions. Name? Tim; Age? 41; Location? Ummm..... An ambulance was brought out and I was taken to the trauma center for a CT scan. My helmet was smashed, my teammate's frame was cracked and they were afraid to let me move my head.

In the end, there wasn't a lot of damage to me. My nose spewed blood all over my shirt and face which made things look bad. My helmet is destroyed but saved my noggin. My jersey is partially shredded. The race was stopped due to the number of crashes. It was not a pretty sight.

I'm pretty disappointed with the way the second race went. It was like everyone thought they were out there alone. They would try to take every turn as tightly as possible, cutting through people and generally not paying attention to anyone else. It was dangerous, and lots of people went down. I was riding towards the front because of this, but it didn't help. I'm very sore today.

One thing I noticed in this race is that many people try to take corners way too tight. When you're alone, this is usually the fastest line. When in a group though, you'll find the people closest to the inside of the turns slow down a lot due to the congestion. Often you can maintain more speed toward the outside of the turn and have fewer bodies to worry about.

Only 4 more races...

(IMG00201 (Medium).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG00201 (Medium).jpg (96KB - 17 downloads)
2012-01-30 7:15 AM
in reply to: #4017226

User image

Champion
MonkeyClaw - 2012-01-29 3:53 PM

Bike Haus Crit, Firebird East race course. Pretty neat course, clockwise 1.2 miles, 10 turns total w/ chicanes, sweeping 180 and ~135 degree tight turn into the finish.

Race 1: Cat 4/5 - Somewhat sketchy race, several crashes due to poor bike handling and cornering. I hung out at the edges in the middle, broke away for a lap with one other guy but he didn't want to work so I stopped too. Wanted to test my sprint so I made a small sprint to the finish to see how my shoulder feels. Felt good, finished with the pack.

Race 2: Cat 5 - VERY sketchy race! Lots of crashes, people not keeping their lines, shooting from one side of the field to the other, etc. Not good on a technical course like this (or ever). Right before the start of the final lap my teammate and I made a move towards the front on the inside (the peloton was pushed against the left side). As we were passing the front of the group, someone swerved out of the group and into my teammate. I thought he shouldered him but my teammate isn't sure. In either case, my teammate went down in front of me. I tried to swerve but ran into his rear wheel. The next thing I remember, people were standing above me badgering me with questions. Name? Tim; Age? 41; Location? Ummm..... An ambulance was brought out and I was taken to the trauma center for a CT scan. My helmet was smashed, my teammate's frame was cracked and they were afraid to let me move my head.

In the end, there wasn't a lot of damage to me. My nose spewed blood all over my shirt and face which made things look bad. My helmet is destroyed but saved my noggin. My jersey is partially shredded. The race was stopped due to the number of crashes. It was not a pretty sight.

I'm pretty disappointed with the way the second race went. It was like everyone thought they were out there alone. They would try to take every turn as tightly as possible, cutting through people and generally not paying attention to anyone else. It was dangerous, and lots of people went down. I was riding towards the front because of this, but it didn't help. I'm very sore today.

One thing I noticed in this race is that many people try to take corners way too tight. When you're alone, this is usually the fastest line. When in a group though, you'll find the people closest to the inside of the turns slow down a lot due to the congestion. Often you can maintain more speed toward the outside of the turn and have fewer bodies to worry about.

Only 4 more races...

Ugh, sorry to hear that.  Early season races always seem to be a bit sketchy, but that sounds a bit over the top.

2012-02-13 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ

Valley of the Sun Stage Race, Cat 5b

The set-up: I broke my collarbone about 13 weeks ago, then crashed out two weeks ago with a concussion. By the end of this past week I was finally feeling like myself, but I haven't felt as strong as I was before the broken collarbone. OK, some of the excuses are out of the way

Friday morning TT, ~14.2 miles. Not my best showing, but I'm ok with it. It was a very slight incline out with light rollers (wouldn't even mention them if it wasn't a TT). I wanted to go out a little strong (~290 W) because of the incline. I haven't been training constant power enough since I was injured and could feel it not long after the start. I kept my power pretty good for about 10 minutes, then it dropped. After the turnaround, I was a little refreshed and pushed again. I passed a total of 4 people (30s between starts). One person I passed was a guy who crashed in the finishing chute. I don't know what happened, but as I was arriving someone was splayed out across the lane, helmet off, and car pulling over to help. I had to swing around the car into another lane to get around them. I don't think it cost me any time (maybe 0.5s) but I sure wasn't expecting it! Ended up averaging ~270 W for the race. 34:05; 9th/33.

Day 2: ~46 mile RR (2.8 laps of ~16 mile course), one hill w/ ~500 ft of climbing to the finish line, light wind increasing throughout the ride. Started off slowly with a slight downhill. People were mostly feeling each other out and taking it pretty easy. I was near the front of the pack most of the time and my teammate was around me. The first lap was pretty uneventful, no attacks, just a moderate pace. The second lap was also pretty tame until the climb. My teammate was leading it up (I didn't realize at the time) and I was mid-pack. I went on the attack up the left side of the group and got a good gap, figuring I would go for KOM points. I kept this up for a little while but slowed, until another rider bridged and passed me (the hill seemed to drag on forever!). When he passed, I let up a bit. Apparently my attack splintered the group. About 6 riders caught me and I followed them up the rest of the hill. We caught the guy who passed me and crested the hill pretty close to each other. After realizing we put a good gap in the field, we tried to work together to see if we could stay away. The rotation went OK, but two guys kept trying to up the speed. It disrupted the pace of the group unfortunately. One of the guys was in front of me. Every time he got to the front, he would surge. I stayed with him, but the guy behind me wouldn't stay up and there would be a small gap. I found out later the guy in front of me was in 2nd OA and really wanted to make time on the leader (who we dropped on the hill - another fact I wish I'd known). Eventually my teammate and a teammate of the person in 3rd place (also with us in the break) bridged up to us... bringing the leader along!!! Talk about lack of awareness on everyone's part When we were caught, we sat up a little bit. We ended up dropping almost 1/2 of the group from that break. The last turn before the climb was really bumpy and I lost the wheel of the guy I wanted to be on. I didn't let it bother me, but the guy I was following let a gap form. I didn't follow quickly enough (I didn't take a small gap seriously enough) and it grew as we climbed. Eventually I went around the guy and tried to catch the lead group. I could see the shadow of one guy on my wheel, and I didn't know if I was dragging more people up behind him. I didn't want to look back and lose concentration, as I was catching the group of about 9 in front of me. At the 200M sign, I was pretty dead but didn't want to get passed by the people behind me. I stood up and gave it all I had to sprint to the finish. I made it to the finish 20s behind the leaders. Shortly after the finish, my teammate passes me not realizing we had just gone through the line. He was the shadow I saw! We had dropped the rest of the group on the climb so he was pretty much pushing me up the hill He said I almost dropped him a couple of times and his only goal was to stay on my wheel a try to finish before me. We had a good laugh about that. I'm disappointed I missed the move and didn't stay on the wheel of the guy I wanted to (an ex-teammate and winner of the stage). 10th/32

Day 3 - 25 minute Crit in downtown Phoenix. Nice course, a few small bumps in a couple of the turns but overall smooth, wide roads and 8 turns. My last crit had me carted off of the course in an ambulance with a concussion so I was a little nervous. Before the start we were all talking about the P/1 crash from the day before, which didn't help. I lined up at the front and as soon they started the race, I started hard to the front of the pack. Someone pushed really hard right off the line and the chase was on! I stayed top 12 throughout the race and led occasionally. Whenever I could get up front to push the pace, I went there - mostly because I wanted to keep the pace high and avoid trouble. There were only a couple of good spots to move up on each lap, so whenever I found myself moving backwards in the pack I would move towards the front. My teammate (also involved in the same crash 2 weeks ago, destroying his frame and both Zipp wheels) was riding his new S5 and told me he wanted to stay in the back and just finish the race. I guess at some point he got bored, because with just a few laps to go, he was up front leading the race! He fell off on the last lap and I was up in the top 10. A small gap formed before the final 2 turns in front of the guy I was following (hmmm... sounds familiar!) and around the last turn the gap grew. I knew I wasn't going to take the win, so I just pedaled hard for the finish. After the turn, someone sprinted past me to move me down a spot. I didn't really think about it, but on the cool-down lap he told me that he had marked me at the beginning as the guy he wanted to beat. I was honored by this in a strange way as this guy was a strong rider (he's the one that caught me on the climb in the RR). It means he respected my abilities. Of course had I known there was another race going on, I might have sprinted for the finish The crit was really nice and made me excited about doing them again. It was safe, no pinching in the corners and no crazy braking. I had been experimenting with the tailgunning and pack riding, but I'm thinking the front is the place to be if you can get there. It takes effort to hold it, but it takes a lot of effort to brake-surge-brake-surge. Also, the lively pace helped string out the group and make the corners safer. Once again the guy I had marked took the win and once again, I didn't finish with him due to some inattention on my part. 8th/29.

I finished 6th overall for the stage race, which I'm happy with. I would have liked higher (of course) but based on my conditioning I'm pleased. I felt stronger than I have in weeks and tried some new tactics. My head was clear the whole weekend and I had a lot of fun racing and watching. I'm disappointed I missed the final splits on both days. I need to get that 'finishers' mentality down and take more note of when splits happen and how to set up a strong finish. Things happen quickly, and being able to adapt would have gotten me up a place or two in the final races and overall.

2012-02-13 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4018086

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ

dalessit - 2012-01-30 5:15 AM

Ugh, sorry to hear that.  Early season races always seem to be a bit sketchy, but that sounds a bit over the top.

Thanks. I spoke to a few people this weekend who were at that race. Turns out there was some confusion about the bell ringing for the final lap. Someone thought they were either finishing a prime lap or were at the finish and jumped for a sprint right into my teammate. They should have checked for traffic before making a jump like that (obviously). They also should have been more aware of what was going on in the race (no prime, 1 lap to go). I still don't know who it was, but I'm going to be extra careful late in the race and be sure to give good room when going by people.

2012-02-27 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Avondale Crit #2 - Cat 5
Nothing too exciting. I wanted to stay near the front and keep the pace high to keep the race safer. I ended up on the front for 3 laps doing a tempo ride. I felt pretty good and stayed near the front for the rest of the race. Ended up finishing 6/50 with a weak sprint.

Avondale Crit #2 - Cat 4/5
Wanted to stay near the front again. Winds had picked up. Around the big sweeping corner turning into the wind, everything would slow down and people would crowd up the edges and tuck back in. This made the whole group rotate. After a few laps I realized I didn't have the strength in my legs to hold a high position and started rotating with the rest of the group. With 5 laps to go, there was a crash between two corners. I was riding the left edge near the dirt when the crash happened. I wanted to stay on the road, but when I saw a bike fly up I took my leave and into the dirt I went. The field split and I just made it in the front group. They cut one lap off of the race as the sign read 3 laps the next time we passed it. My legs didn't come back and I was spooked from the crash, so I rode in with the pack around 40/75.

Put in my Cat 4 upgrade petition today. Already registered for the Tucson Bike Classic as a 5, but that should be my last as a 5.
2012-02-27 3:19 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut
Good job in the car 5 finish and smart choice playing it safe in the 4/5. There will be more races. Live to fight another day.
2012-03-06 10:49 AM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ

Tucson Bike Classic 3-day stage race - group 5A (~30 ppl)

Day 1 - 3.2 mile hilly TT - Strong headwinds and crosswinds, starts off downhill but the majority is uphill with an uphill finish. Still felt confident with my Jet 9 front and rear on my TT bike, but was blown around more than I would have liked. 5th

Day 2 - 40 miles (2 x 20 mile) course with some moderate climbs and a climbing finish. A break of 1 got away at the beginning. I stayed near the front but the teammates of the guy in the break blocked every chance they got (teamwork??? In a cat 5 race???). Several miles in, I broke from the group too and made a half-hearted attempt to bridge w/o draining myself. When the course turned downhill, the pack put the big guys on the front and caught me. I latched on near the front again keeping my eyes on the rest of the group and trying to see what the finish was like when we passed it on the first lap. The second lap was pretty similar. The break was caught, and any attacks were shut down. Along the small rollers prior to the final turn to the finish the large team started attacking and counter-attacking. That was fun to see. I was able to hold by staying on the wheels of the contenders but several people were dropped. After the turn up the final hill the attacks from the team stopped and it was every man for himself. I followed the front group up the hill and finished with the pack. 6th w/ no time gap.

Day 3 - 28 miles (5 x 5.6 mile course) with climbs and rollers, and another climbing finish. There was a bit more climbing overall in this course than the day before. Another guy tried to break at the beginning. I was ready and latched onto him this time. After a mile or so, he decided not to give it a go and slowed down. The rest of the group caught us and I was leading at a pretty leisurely pace. You could tell people were tired. At the lap 3 sprint bonus, there was a little surge for the bonus. I went with the group but didn't try for the bonus. The climb to the finish started out steep, then got shallower near the line. Most people went too hard at the bottom only to lose energy on the shallow part. I tried to conserve on the steeper part and passed a lot of people near the top of it and had some left to sprint. I wasn't quick enough to stay with the leaders this time and got gapped 8s. 7th for the stage.

Overall I ended up 6th. The same guy won days 2 and 3 and got 20s of bonus time, putting him above me in 5th. I knew it was a possibility but didn't have the legs to surge at the end. He did a great job and earned his spot!

Since the last stage race (Valley of the Sun) I've been trying to work mostly on my FTP. I've gotten much stronger than I was and am planning two more weeks of FTP work before a two week block of VO2max and sprint work. My power profile makes it obvious that my weak link is my 5s and 1m power. Any hints on improving these would be great, especially from a great track racer who specializes in this kind of thing...

2012-03-06 11:27 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Well... first week of the Bethel Crit series 20 laps 8/10 mile a lap on 8% climb at end of every lap. Raced in the Cat4 race, we had planned on getting a small group to go at the gun, see what happened from there. I lined up in the front row and chit chatted with a junior in the race, as soon as the whistle blew i was gone, and 100 guys followed right behind me, LOL. So i got about 2/3rd of a lap and started looking behind, went and pulled over and like a big snake they followed, i sat up and forced them around me.  Spent the first half the race in the front, very easy pace for me to hold. at lap 10 a couple of breaks had been launched and caught, me and a buddy countered and went off the front by about 15-20 seconds, we lasted 5 laps, i won a $40 prime, and the field caught us with about 5 to go.  Last prime with 3 to go, i went for it halfheartedly, looking or my teammates to jump with me and maybe counter off the sprint for the prime, but i could not find them. Got into what i though was a good train for the sprint finish, but sketchy racing and guys just doing stupid stuff cut us off, the sprint went and i watched from about 30th spot. Since only the top 5 get points i sat up, and proceeded to get cut off and bumped for 40th-60th place. Pretty stupid on the racers part, bad race execution by me, i race here enough to know not to be where i was, i just felt we had a good strong train and could make up the less than ideal position.  Oh well, there is always next week. 
2012-03-06 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4082867

User image

Champion

Rudedog55 - 2012-03-06 12:27 PM Well... first week of the Bethel Crit series 20 laps 8/10 mile a lap on 8% climb at end of every lap. Raced in the Cat4 race, we had planned on getting a small group to go at the gun, see what happened from there. I lined up in the front row and chit chatted with a junior in the race, as soon as the whistle blew i was gone, and 100 guys followed right behind me, LOL. So i got about 2/3rd of a lap and started looking behind, went and pulled over and like a big snake they followed, i sat up and forced them around me.  Spent the first half the race in the front, very easy pace for me to hold. at lap 10 a couple of breaks had been launched and caught, me and a buddy countered and went off the front by about 15-20 seconds, we lasted 5 laps, i won a $40 prime, and the field caught us with about 5 to go.  Last prime with 3 to go, i went for it halfheartedly, looking or my teammates to jump with me and maybe counter off the sprint for the prime, but i could not find them. Got into what i though was a good train for the sprint finish, but sketchy racing and guys just doing stupid stuff cut us off, the sprint went and i watched from about 30th spot. Since only the top 5 get points i sat up, and proceeded to get cut off and bumped for 40th-60th place. Pretty stupid on the racers part, bad race execution by me, i race here enough to know not to be where i was, i just felt we had a good strong train and could make up the less than ideal position.  Oh well, there is always next week. 

HAHA at our summer long training series last year we had a guy screaming at everyone to come around and we all followed behind like a snake, no one wanting to get stuck up front. 

And don't sit up that will mess up your roadbikeresults ranking!

2012-03-06 11:52 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIDbXjeI0Zs&feature=youtu.be

here is a small Vid, i am in the white kit on the left, yes the fat guy.

2012-03-07 12:42 PM

User image

New user

Los Angeles
Subject: Death Valley hands me my ass, then snickers derisively as I slink home.
The week before the race, a friend of mine gave me such a good pep talk, that I almost thought I had a chance of completing the Adventure Corps 150 miler. "It'll be great!" I told myself. "I just have to ride like hell for the first half, and then I can coast!"

I didn't finish the 150, but I did manage to go 100 miles (Yay me!), plus I learned a few things which will come in handy for Rachel vs. Death Valley, the Rematch.

I'd hoped to be in wave 2, which left at 6:20, I ended up in wave 4, which left at 6:40. There were cutoff times at each of the aid stations - of course, for the 150 ride, those cutoff times required a much higher speed than did the century course. After hearing tales of gale-force winds from people who had done the ride before, I got a bit nervous, but the wind seemed to be holding off, so all seemed fairly well.

Then, just as I was feeling confident, the wind picked up. Not gale force, like the horror stories from last year, but a good steady 16mph.

Just enough to slow me down to the point where, when I got to the second aid stop, I was warned that I might not make the time cutoff.

Then, I started the first climb. Since my road bike is steel and my TT bike is in the shop, I rented a bike, and it became apparent very quickly that said rental bike was SO not geared to climb. My heart rate soared and my speed dropped and dropped and dropped until I was going at about walking speed. A very, very old man on a beach cruiser (I think) passed me, as did an ambling coyote, and at one point, a snail.

So, it wasn't much of a surprise at the Jubilee Pass 50 mile marker I was told that I'd missed the time cutoff and would have to turn around.

I said "oh, darn", but inwardly I thought "Yay!". That first climb was tough, and the second climb into Shoshone, I'm told, was worse.

I turned around, rolled down the hill (but kept braking as I'm still to scared to go much over 25 mph) and turned back, into a headwind.

The wind, while I was climbing, had shifted 180 degrees, and I'd have a headwind in both directions.

Thanks, Death Valley, thanks a lot.

After the second Badwater stop is when I really started to hurt. I wasn't cramping up, I was just sore and tired, but since this particular race won't SAG riders in unless there's some sort of catastrophic injury, my only option was to keep riding.

The last blissful mile was all downhill into Furnace Creek. I coasted into the ranch, checked in and informed them that I'd dropped down to the 100 miler, and finally got off that damned bike.

Between the winds, the hills, and the general unprepared state of my legs, my official time for the 100 mile ride was 9 hours 20 minutes. That stinging sensation - it's my pride.

I'm not all that fast and I know it, but NINE hours? Were my neck not so sore, I would hang my head in shame.

Full write up and photos on the blog here.
2012-03-08 5:39 AM
in reply to: #4084971

User image

Master
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Death Valley hands me my ass, then snickers derisively as I slink home.

Erindera, hold your head high and be proud of the fact that you stuck it out through a long and difficult event (the 100 sounds plenty brutal to me, without adding an extra 50 miles!

One of the many satisfying things about riding, especially endurance riding, is that performance is quite responsive to training and persistence yields progressive improvement over the years.  With time and proper training, you could be very well-prepared for the 150m next time... or whatever other goals you set your mind to.

2012-03-12 7:20 PM

User image

Champion
Seems there was some racing in the NY area this weekend, it's Monday night, where are the reports???
2012-03-13 11:12 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Sorry Tony, i was waiting for the champ to post hers first, lol

Sunday Bethel, Cat 4 race:  I did not attack at the start this time, i sat in and wheel sucked most of the race, the race was about 1.5 mph slower than last week.  So it was pretty boring, the wind was kinda stiff on the back straight, lots of little attacks that went now where for more than a lap or so, i did not get any work in last week due to some work issues, so my legs were totally stale and i had no pop, as the laps wound down, some of the stronger guys got in the front and i started seeing the sprinters teams organizing, with 2 to go, i saw a NY Velocity guy get up front, he attacked at the hill, i had a hard time getting on his wheel, when i did i bridged the whole field to us, so i said screw it i went on a suicide mission and hit it hard with about 1 to go, i was really hoping that one of my guys would get on my wheel, but alas, they missed it, but what i succeeded in doing was destroy the sprinters and their teams, i led the last lap till about 250m to go with about 13-15 riders strung out single file behind me, as the strong guys on my wheel sprinted past. I coasted in to a 44th, but the top point winners were all different from last week, so the overall is still wide open. The guy who finished 5th was 4th in line, he averaged 385w in the draft for the last lap.

Cat 3-4 in the afternoon, i started at the back and was just looking to get some work in, it was a 30 lap race. it was pretty uneventful, no breaks to speak of, and i just sat in. about lap 15 or so, i decided to move up, in 3 laps i got to the front, just as an attack launched, i bridged and then 2 of the 3 i bridged to sat up, the other guy and i jumped on it and took off, we crossed the line as the USAC official rang the bell for a prime, we hammered for the lap, with me basiclly being pulled around by the animal in front, we crossed 1-2 for a $30-$20 prime, me getting the 20, as i go by the official looks at me and puts his arms in the WTF??  position, i had no idea what he was doing, so i continue on and realize i am overheating, so i go to unzip my jersey only to realize i had left my wind jacket on and my number was covered.....UGGGGHHHHH, so i try to unzip it it wont zip off, i spend two laps fudging with it, lost concentration and let a gap happen...adios baby, off the back i go, finally get it off, throw it to a friends dad and do a 3 lap ride of shame after getting dropped. pull off tell the USAC official i was the idiot that had his number covered and i was withdrawing, he laughed and said, just be happy i know you, go collect the prime, lol.

met another BT'er CThoops (Kimberly) and watched Kim Edwards kick butt in the womens race!!!  i will let her tell her story!!!

2012-03-13 2:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Hartford, CT

Nice job on the prime, Rudy!

Alright, I'll report but it's a sad tale compared to the rest of you.  Bethel Women's Open, my second bike race basically ever (I did a few races for fun several years ago but they don't really count.)  Last week's Bethel was my first bike race and despite spending Tuesday and Wednesday with Connecticut's version of dysentery, I managed to hang on for 14 laps before getting dropped and ultimately lapped once by the field.  Finished third from last.  This week's goal, now that I had fully recovered, was to hang on with the field the entire time and try to get the confidence to ride in the pack (or at least one up from the very back).  Umm, yeah.

First four laps were great.  I wasn't dead last - man what a difference in effort! - and I was getting settled in.  I actually felt so great that I thought, "There's no way I won't be able to hang with the pack for the whole ride!".  My plan was to try to start working my way up on the hill in the fifth lap.  Unfortunately there was a crash on the hill at the end of the fourth lap.  The rider looked fine, but stupid me slowed down and said, "Are you o.k.?" while the rest of the pack obviously didn't give a crap and rode away.  Oops.  Lesson learned. 

The worst part about it was that I knew I was now going to have to suffer alone for the remaining 18 laps, and after last week I knew exactly what that suffering was going to feel like.  Oh well.  I paid my money and I wasn't going to quit.  I was lapped three times and finished second from last.  At one point I couldn't decide which would feel more demoralizing - dropping out or getting lapped yet again!  I settled on the idea that my honor was at stake and kept at it to the bitter end, finishing second from last.

Anyway, I was initially pretty disappointed but now I'm ready to try again next week and get my revenge on the course.  Lessons learned this week: (1) Ride in the pack - it's way easier.  (2) Don't slow down to ask if someone is o.k.  As Mr. cthoops said, it's not like I was going to be able to put a tourniquet on her! (3) Don't lose my concentration for even a second - if I do, the pack will be 100 yards ahead of me in an instant. 

I am having fun, though, and I had a great time meeting Kim and Rudy! 

Edited by cthoops 2012-03-13 2:59 PM
2012-03-13 5:56 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

So nice to see you two out there!

Bethel is a nice early season series and gets a fantastic women's field.  It was a lot of fun catching up with everyone.  This was my first crit of the year. I wasn't sure how I'd feel with all the gym work and so much less endurance training, but I felt pretty good.  

Kimberly, when racers continue past a crashed rider, it isn't that they don't care.  Nobody wants to see somebody fall and certainly nobody wants anyone to get hurt.  However, in a crit, stopping and slowing create further hazards.  The default response of racers should be to keep their focus 100% ahead and riding forward.  This increases the odds that a pack will get safely by an accident, incident, or obstacle without further crashes.   Crits have marshals, volunteers, officials, and first aid people on hand.  If it is a serious accident or cannot otherwise be cleared in time, an official will neutralize or stop the race. Until then, the expectation is that the racers will keep their eyes ahead and ride forward.

Good luck next week, Kimberly and Rudy!

Edited by dredwards 2012-03-13 5:59 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2012 cycling race report thread Rss Feed  

of 4