of 4

2012-06-01 9:20 AM
in reply to: #4238952

User image

Master
Baltimore
Subject: RE: 2012 cycling race report thread
gsmacleod - 2012-06-01 10:10 AM

My athlete who was at the front the whole time realized that he probably should have listened and not been at the front the whole time as he had nothing left for the sprint and finished around 30th but the athlete who was sitting at the back ended up finishing 3rd.

Shane

Funny how it works out like that

Congrats and welcome back to mass start racing!

2012-06-01 9:22 AM
in reply to: #4238978

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

jsiegs - 2012-06-01 10:20 AM
gsmacleod - 2012-06-01 10:10 AM My athlete who was at the front the whole time realized that he probably should have listened and not been at the front the whole time as he had nothing left for the sprint and finished around 30th but the athlete who was sitting at the back ended up finishing 3rd. Shane
Funny how it works out like that Congrats and welcome back to mass start racing!

Yeah, that's what Cat 5 is for, good way to learn those lessons, I think we've all done that (I tend to still do it sometimes)

2012-06-01 9:30 AM
in reply to: #4005147

User image

Champion

I'm back racing this weekend, this week was a down week on my schedule but since I had to miss races last week and next week due to kids stuff I had to get a race in.  Should be interesting this morning I went on a group ride and my HR was pegged in the paceline before we got to the base of the climb, that made for a fun chase back after things flattened out.

2012-06-11 1:45 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Raced the Westside Cycling Classic in Vancouver BC yesterday. http://www.westsidecyclingclassic.com/ in the womens Cat 1/2/3 field. 8 laps of a 10.5km course with one significant climb that included a first lap prime and QOM sprints on laps 3-6. Roads are closed, so you don't have to worry about staying on the right side of the yellow line. The road is pretty bumpy on the headwind section before the climb, though there is a lot of road to ride and is also quite broken up and bumping on the climb which can really break your rhythm.

Previous years the pack had stayed together. I raced this last year and fell off on each lap up the hill, but manage to chase my way back on laps 1-6. This year I've been climbing better (getting stronger I guess) and I managed to stay with the lead group and actually be leading on the climb the first two laps up the hill. There was a sprint on the first lap for the prime, but I guess everyone was fresh and the pack mostly stayed together. A few women fell off up the hill, but most managed to chase back on.

Laps 3 and 4, I stuggled a bit more. The breakaway from the 1/2 men actually passed us up the climb on the 3rd lap. Started out the climb okay, but had to move way over when the men were passing, hit some bumps, just got thrown of my rhythm and found myself between the lead group and the chase at the top of the climb. Got caught by the chase and we managed to catch back up to the lead group. Lap 4 was similar, except no men were passing me, so I guess I was just tired/lazy.

Lap 5, the obviously best climber, winning all the QOM sprints, attacked and the pack split. I managed to make the break, but 1 girl had a good gap. On the downhill most of the stragglers caught back on again. Lap 6 was similar, but a few more women got dropped and I think we were down to about 10-12 people. Lap 7 started out similarly, but we decided we had to catch the leader who was about 30s up, so the remainder of the peleton worked really hard together and we caught the leader on the climb. We ended up shelling some more people that time up the climb, so only 8 women left in the lead.

Lap 8 started out pretty slow. We had just caught the leader, so I think. The remaining women were pretty well represented from different teams, except there were 2 teams with 2 riders. I was on one of them. I chatted to my teammate, who's an awesome sprinter and told her that I wasn't sure I could lead her out as the finish line sprint is just after the hill, I was kind of struggling the last few times up the hill. Told her to get on the other team's train (2 people). Hill came and it was fast and furious. 5 members made a break and I kind of dangled off of the back. Tried to close the gap along the flatter section just before the finish and hit some of the speed bumps really fast and caught air. Never quite caught the back of the break and rolled across the line for 6th, maybe 10 seconds down. My teammate won though, so it worked out in the end.

2012-06-11 1:52 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Because the climb was so bumpy, we often ended riding up it single file on the left side of the road. It was hard to pass because you hit a bump and slow down. I tried to be near the front on the climb, so there was always women behind me.

My contribution to the win came on the last lap. There were 2 members of another team remaining and one of them was a good sprinter. I knew that her teammate who was also pretty strong was going to lead her out. I ended up climbing the hill in front of the sprinter's teammate and the teammate got dropped. The sprinter came 3rd and my teammate came 1st... though she's also a sprinter.

2012-06-13 9:51 AM

User image

over a barrier
^^^Always feels great to help a teammate! Great job!

Tour of Galena was okay for me. I got 2nd in the Time Trial on Saturday morning (3.7 miles 28+mph ave). I was pumped for the road race, went back to the condo to chill and kill 5 hrs. It was a stupid hot and hilly race. 22 miles and temps would be over 90. We got the neutral rollout of town and the attacks started one after another. The 22mile loop had about 1200-1300 feet of climbing. The group was splintered in the first climb down to 15 or so...I started to fall to the back, the 2nd climb was more of the same, I would attack into the climb and be in the back by the end. The 3rd climb, I popped and went off the back. The lead group was down to 10, got to the top of the ridge and just started TT'ing. I was luckily, the lead group slowed the pace as no one wanted to do the work. It took me 10 mins at my FTP but I bridge all the way back up. Spent the next few miles sitting in the back trying to recover....My day would be over in the blink of any eye, we started to come down the ridge and I hit the Rail Road tracks at 35mph and pinch flatted.....I was out. I waited for neutral but they didn't have any neutral wheels took the broom wagon took about 10 mins later.....I called it a day.

The crit the next day was fast and furious and I finished just out of the points. I was bummed to miss point in the road race as I would have been just off the podium going into the crit. Sh&T happens.

Made up for it last night at the Tuesday Crit series, placing 5th, 4th, and 3rd in the small fields (20 dudes).

2012-06-13 1:15 PM
in reply to: #4259340

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

The good thing about bike racing is that there's always another soon. I had a good race 3 weeks prior in Encumclaw, then a bad race at provincials, but then a good race at Westside again, so it's easy to forget the bad.

Sucks about the pinch flat, but good job getting back to the pack in the first place. If I ever get dropped from the group, I work really hard for 10 minutes at least because there's always a chance that they are screwing around and the pace will slow up. It helps to know the course too because when you are alone, you can often make up time on the downhills and corners. Anyway nice job.

I'm hoping to go to this track race this weekend, http://www.gvva.bc.ca/trackfest2012.html, but it isn't on the mainland of BC, it's on the island, so a 1.5 hour ferry ride away and the problem with outdoor velodromes is that the races can be cancelled if it rains, so I'm not sure if it is worth it. It would be fun though!

2012-06-26 6:00 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Did Reston Town Center Grand Prix Cat 3/4 Sunday. This was a rough on for me, finished 20th.

This was my first race with 3s (I'm a new-ish 4) and it was a rather unpleasent welcoming. From the gun, it was fast, way faster than any race I've ever done. It was an 8 turn, 1.25km course so a bit technical, and that's what really got me. I got pushed to the back rather quickly and hung there as for the first few laps I didn't quite have the speed through the corners I needed. I got in trouble back there as people were yo-yoing off the back, especially on the uphill parts and I had to come around a lot of riders to stay with the pack, but then was then too drained to move up enough in the pack to get in front of those who were dropping off. I wasted a lot of energy back there closing multiple gaps. eventually, I did recover a bit and got in mid pack and got cornering at the speeds I needed. I even found myself near the front with 10 or so to go, and a rider about 15 sec off the front. Another rider jumped and I wanted to go with, but couldn't get around to get his wheel. I jumped a little later and briged up to him.

We grouped, reeled in the lead rider but then a too slow/too long pull by one rider let the pack catch us too. I guess they weren't in it to try to stay away like I was. That was my shot I figured as I am not much for field sprints. Sat in the front-ish for the last laps, but was overtaken by the rush to the front on the last lap. Finished 20th out of 35 or so in the field sprint, but the race started with closer to 60.
2012-06-27 1:18 PM
in reply to: #4280444

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

That doesn't sound like a bad race. You definitely work way harder closer to the back.

So I race our weekly crit series last night and I had a bad race. Hopefully writing about it might make me forget it.

I'm leading the race series with 16 points (1 point for a prime, 4 points for first, 2 points for second, 1 point for 3-5). 2nd place is at 11 points. 2nd place usually has lot of teammates showing up though clearly she is one of the strongest, my teammates have never shown up because of timing. So my teammate who is argueably one of the strongest racers in my province (won the last big sanctioned race) shows up for the race to help me maintain my lead. 2nd place has 5 other teammates with one teammate being a really strong racer as well.

Race plan was for me to go in any break with 2nd place, but if one of her teammates attacked and got a break my teammate would cover it. And if 2nd place was in a break and I wasn't, my teammate would tow me up to it. Also for the prime and final sprint, I was pretty sure 2nd place's fast teammate would lead her out, so my plan was to get on that train.

The course start finish is almost at the top of a hill, then it's a flat section, then a downhill, then another flat, then back up the hill. Usually there's a headwind down the hill and a tailwind up the hill. Last night the headwind was up the hill. That might have played into the bad race.

So race goes and our pack is a bit larger than normal. 2nd place teammates throw out attacks and my teammate is in every one of them. Yet nothing sticks. My teammate it not pulling through on the break. Prime came a little late into the race. I set myself up on the wheel of 2nd places teammate. However it's clear that a lot of 2nd places teammates want to help her and they get to the front. The sprint is really crowded and I get completely boxed in. Ladies bumping into me on both sides. Finally distance myself, but 2nd place gets me at the line. My teammate saw what was happening and though she is a wicked sprinter she was boxed in a bit too and couldn't take the points.

So after the sprint for the prime, myself, 2nd place and 2nd place's strong teammate have a gap on the pack. 2nd places strong teammate is a bit bitchy and eggs me on to pull through, but I know better. My teammate busts her butt and make her way up to our break. Perfect I guess. So we do 1 lap like that and we see 3 to go. But I'm feeling a bit tired up the hill which is slightly unsual. Kind of feels like pedalling through mud. Argghh. Round the corner and 2nd place teammate attacks and I just can't follow, so now I'm dropped from the break. My teammate drops back and tries to tow me back up to the break. Just can't get there. Go up the hill again, 2 laps to go and see the pack behind us. Sit up a bit to catch on to the pack, figured that they can pull us back, but too late, I think. Go up the hill again, man I'm feeling tired, and get the bell. I have good positioning (something I am doing better in these races this year) and go around the roundabout before the sprint 3nd wheel. Sprint happens and I just don't have my jump. Someone else coming up alongside and I can't easily pass her. Kind of give up and just roll in and don't get any points.

Of course 2nd place's teammate lets her win, so she gets 5 points and now we are tied at 16 points for first overall. Crap.

Not that I care about placing in a weekly race that much, but I feel really bad that I had this great opportunity with an awesome teammate completely working for me and she worked really really hard and I blew it. Cry

2012-06-27 1:27 PM

User image

Champion

jsiegs - 2012-06-26 7:00 AM Did Reston Town Center Grand Prix Cat 3/4 Sunday. This was a rough on for me, finished 20th. This was my first race with 3s (I'm a new-ish 4) and it was a rather unpleasent welcoming. From the gun, it was fast, way faster than any race I've ever done. It was an 8 turn, 1.25km course so a bit technical, and that's what really got me. I got pushed to the back rather quickly and hung there as for the first few laps I didn't quite have the speed through the corners I needed. I got in trouble back there as people were yo-yoing off the back, especially on the uphill parts and I had to come around a lot of riders to stay with the pack, but then was then too drained to move up enough in the pack to get in front of those who were dropping off. I wasted a lot of energy back there closing multiple gaps. eventually, I did recover a bit and got in mid pack and got cornering at the speeds I needed. I even found myself near the front with 10 or so to go, and a rider about 15 sec off the front. Another rider jumped and I wanted to go with, but couldn't get around to get his wheel. I jumped a little later and briged up to him. We grouped, reeled in the lead rider but then a too slow/too long pull by one rider let the pack catch us too. I guess they weren't in it to try to stay away like I was. That was my shot I figured as I am not much for field sprints. Sat in the front-ish for the last laps, but was overtaken by the rush to the front on the last lap. Finished 20th out of 35 or so in the field sprint, but the race started with closer to 60.

That's a very good finish at Reston, very tough to stay with the group there due to all the turns and accelerations.

2012-06-28 4:25 PM
in reply to: #4283270

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Tough race, Jen! At least you're still tied and can get it back in another race.

2012-06-29 10:09 AM

Pro
yep,

jsiegs - 2012-06-26 7:00 AM Did Reston Town Center Grand Prix Cat 3/4 Sunday. This was a rough on for me, finished 20th. This was my first race with 3s (I'm a new-ish 4) and it was a rather unpleasent welcoming. From the gun, it was fast, way faster than any race I've ever done. It was an 8 turn, 1.25km course so a bit technical, and that's what really got me. I got pushed to the back rather quickly and hung there as for the first few laps I didn't quite have the speed through the corners I needed. I got in trouble back there as people were yo-yoing off the back, especially on the uphill parts and I had to come around a lot of riders to stay with the pack, but then was then too drained to move up enough in the pack to get in front of those who were dropping off. I wasted a lot of energy back there closing multiple gaps. eventually, I did recover a bit and got in mid pack and got cornering at the speeds I needed. I even found myself near the front with 10 or so to go, and a rider about 15 sec off the front. Another rider jumped and I wanted to go with, but couldn't get around to get his wheel. I jumped a little later and briged up to him. We grouped, reeled in the lead rider but then a too slow/too long pull by one rider let the pack catch us too. I guess they weren't in it to try to stay away like I was. That was my shot I figured as I am not much for field sprints. Sat in the front-ish for the last laps, but was overtaken by the rush to the front on the last lap. Finished 20th out of 35 or so in the field sprint, but the race started with closer to 60.

He follows that up with a win at Greenbelt on Wednesday too.  *cough* Sandbagger *cough*

2012-06-29 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Haha, thanks CJ! I wish I were a sandbagger, but I don't have the points yet!

Our blogs recap of the Greenbelt B race on Wednesday (yes, I got the win ) with pictures! http://lequipecyclismebc.blogspot.com/2012/06/greenbelt-training-ra...

My report:
Relatively large group for Greenbelt (I think) with 35 in the B race (only 25 and 27 in the A/C races).  My race plan involved trying to get a break together, somehwere mid race (it was 14 laps).  My teammate Andrew ready for action too and during the first lap or two, slid his way to the front, this after telling me he would be sticking to my wheel.  Turns out it was I trying to stick to his wheel.  I mingled near the front, but wasn't interested wasting too much energy holding a top wheel (though Andrew did quite well).  With 8 to go, I squeezed my way to the front on the descent and was ready to move after "the turn".  Generally, there is a sprint back up to speed then a recovery, but I decided to go here and forgo the recovery.  I hit the gas and found myself quickly off the front and all alone.  I had hoped a couple on my wheel would follow, but being an unexpected move, I wasn't surprised.  I pushed it up the hill, maintaining 5-10 seDc across the Start/finish dangling in sight of the pack and hoping to coerce a couple riders to jump up with me.  It woked and two riders bridged and we began to work.  As soon as we had done a rotation of pulls, 2 more came up and sped past.  Seeing the other 2 weren't going to join, I jumped and caught with these two and we got to work. 

Well, they got to work I should say.  After a few pulls in the early laps of the break, the other 2 were quite content (one rider in particular) to do all the work and relegate me to the back.  Instead of fighting my way for some pulls, I decided the gap was big enough and their pace was high enough that I could safely sit in and let them keep us away.  I took a few pulls here and there, jumping to the front when I felt the pace weaken, but more or less was tucked in.  With 3 or 4 to go, a fourth rider bridged and joined us, a feat I was pretty impressed with.  We maintained and I took my final pull up the finishing hill and across the line for the bell lap.  I sat in 4th wheel, exactly where I wanted to be on the backside and leading to the final hill.  The same rider who had insisted on doing most of the work was again at the front and again pushing the pace on this hill (he had pushed the pace here every lap).  I saw from 4th that he was floating off the front as did third wheel.  Third swung out like he would be chasing and I mirrored him to follow...but he never went.  Guessing these two were gassed, I jumped alone figuring worst I could do was second even if I blew up starting to sprint too early.  I started to close on the front rider who turned it on to try to hold me off.  I was closing and had just enough time to squeek by before the line beating him by half a bike or so.

2012-08-08 2:58 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Haven't posted in a while.  Got back into the Tuesday night series in South Chicago last Tuesday for the first time since May.  Wow.

Won the first race after a great slingshot through the final turn by a team mate.  Won by 2-3 bike lengths.  I was still recovering from my HIM so didn't do much in the second race but wound up pulling in the end for my team mate who pulled for me earlier.  Finally, in the third race I was pooped so I just sat up and took it easy.

Last night, won the first race again.  This time, I was sitting third wheel in the second to last corner.  First and second cooked it too hot for their liking but not for me.  I shot inside and came even with 1st.  We hit the last corner, I hit it nice and tight and was gone.  Again, won by 2-3 bike lengths.  Second race I popped off the back (did a really hard brick on Sunday night and was still recovering) let them catch me up and pulled again for the guy I helped last week.  This time it was a four man train and worked perfectly for him. 

It really is amazing.  Last year, at this time, I just didn't see me ever winning a race, just happy to hang.  This year, I've been in the hunt so much.  I'm getting excited and looking forward to Gateway series.  4 races in 4 days over the Labor day weekend. 

2012-08-08 4:05 PM
in reply to: #4353491

Pro
yep,
crowny2 - 2012-08-08 3:58 PM

Haven't posted in a while.  Got back into the Tuesday night series in South Chicago last Tuesday for the first time since May.  Wow.

Won the first race after a great slingshot through the final turn by a team mate.  Won by 2-3 bike lengths.  I was still recovering from my HIM so didn't do much in the second race but wound up pulling in the end for my team mate who pulled for me earlier.  Finally, in the third race I was pooped so I just sat up and took it easy.

Last night, won the first race again.  This time, I was sitting third wheel in the second to last corner.  First and second cooked it too hot for their liking but not for me.  I shot inside and came even with 1st.  We hit the last corner, I hit it nice and tight and was gone.  Again, won by 2-3 bike lengths.  Second race I popped off the back (did a really hard brick on Sunday night and was still recovering) let them catch me up and pulled again for the guy I helped last week.  This time it was a four man train and worked perfectly for him. 

It really is amazing.  Last year, at this time, I just didn't see me ever winning a race, just happy to hang.  This year, I've been in the hunt so much.  I'm getting excited and looking forward to Gateway series.  4 races in 4 days over the Labor day weekend. 

Nice work and great to hear about the progress.  Heres to looking forward to the Holiday weekend!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2012 cycling race report thread Rss Feed  

of 4