General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do you carry tools/tube/C02/ hydration for IM distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-23 1:15 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: What do you carry tools/tube/C02/ hydration for IM distance

What is too much what do you feel is not enough. I just got a Profile behind the saddle 2 bottle carrier. I also have a frame bottle cage and a Aero bar torpedo style (have not tried in a race yet) or the option of a PD aero bottle which I have done 2 HIM with.

I'm going to try the torpedo style this year and leave the frame cage empty for bottle exchage. I was thinking of having one bottle in the rear carrier. This way I only have 2 bottles on the bike at once (torpedo and 1 rear). I was also thinking of using the other rear bottle carrier to carry my tube, small tool, tire lever inside an empty bottle.

BTW I'm doing IM Louisville as my first this year so its historically beeen hot.

2012-01-23 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4006238

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: What do you carry tools/tube/C02/ hydration for IM distance
Keep in mind, i've never done an IM, but have done a lot of longer ride/half IMs

In the long training rides, i'll typically take two bottles, one on the frame, one in a jersey pocket. I can stop to refil at a few places.
In every half i've done after my 1st, its been one bottle. Even the smaller races have 2-3 bottle exchanges, and the bigger/IM branded races tend to have more than that, so unless you need some serious special nutrition you should not need a ton (ie handups are fairly often in the race).

all longer races/training i have the flat kit appropriate for the wheels i'm using (if clinchers its a co2/head for it, two tire levers and a space tube, and a small allen key (never leaves the saddle bag). If using tubulars, i carry a folded pre-glued/stretched spare, co2, and razor blade taped under the seat.
2012-01-23 1:20 PM
in reply to: #4006246

User image

Champion
also, if it is hot/you are worried, i'd probably take a 2nd bottle of water to be pouring over my head (in a half I'd normally just use the one bottle anyway, but longer i might carry a 2nd)
2012-01-23 2:03 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina

Last year I took everything but the kitchen sink.......not this year.  I will have the torpedo mount between the bars and the aero bottle on the downtube.  Tube, CO2 and tire lever in bag under/behind the seat.  That's all.  You don't want to be carrying all that weight up those hills.

The aid stations are frequent enough that you don't need to carry too much.  Also, you pass special needs twice.  And the SAG vehicles are everywhere.

As added insurance, train your body to tolerate Ironman Perform drink.  IF they run out of water, there will be plenty of Perform to go around.

Good Luck!  See ya there!

Alan

2012-01-23 2:26 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
c02, tubes, etc. go in my saddle bag.

Aero bottle up front for water only. Aid stations every 10 miles mean you don't really need more than that, even in the heat.

Infinite sports drink (two 3-hour bottles) on my down tube and in my back jersey pocket.
I also had a Bento box with "emergency" stuff like salt pills, a PayDay and other nutrition for variety. Not entirely necessary though.

Keep it as simple as you can.

Edited by lisac957 2012-01-23 2:27 PM
2012-01-23 4:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Indiana
for IMWI this year, I used a PD aero bottle between the bars and a XLab bracket behind with 2 cages. I only started with one bottle - leaving the other open for water on the fly.

As for other "stuff" I used the XLab straps to hold an extra tube, and had the attachment to hold my CO2 and adaptor. One thing I will say is that if using the XLab straps to hold a spare tube and levers you may want to use other methods to secure as well. I have an extra velcro strap I use vertically to futher secure the tube into the two straps. Have lost multiple tubes previously with only having them in the straps.

I also use a Dark Speed Works top tube "box" to hold a multi tool and a couple bars. I really like this Bento type box because it is low profile and doesnt get in the way or flop back and forth like several others that I have had. Check them out here: http://darkspeedworks.com/

2012-01-23 4:25 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

IM Lou requires to different setups depending on the weather.  It was 95 in 2010 and I was really glad I left my 2 rear cages behind the seat.  You will need Perform, drinking water, and water to pour on yourself if it's a hot year.  If it is "cooler" like 2011 I would just use the torpedo mount and reload every 10 miles.

I tape a tube, tire lever, and inflation stuff under my seat.

2012-01-23 9:39 PM

Veteran
I may have missed it but Noone mentioned a bento box for nutrition.  While I could have found other was to do it like jersey pockets?  This was the most convenient and kept me aero the longest. It also helped me stay organized and count my calories to make sure I didn't space out and miss feedings.
2012-01-24 10:45 AM
in reply to: #4006722

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

I also use a Dark Speed Works top tube "box" to hold a multi tool and a couple bars. I really like this Bento type box because it is low profile and doesnt get in the way or flop back and forth like several others that I have had. Check them out here: http://darkspeedworks.com/

Glad to know that the Speedpack has worked out well for you. Lots of athletes have given us positive feedback about the design

A suggestion for the first poster about where to carry stuff: if you use an inflator and CO2 cartridges and tire irons, those items are tough and weather resistant, so I would tape those out of the way to the back of your seat rails. When you need them, you'll be off your bike anyway, so they will be easy to get then.

But for a tube, other small accessories, powerbars, gels, etc., those are good to keep in a Speedpack. Tubes you might need to switch out depending what wheels you're using (or how old the tube is) and nutrition you'll obviously need while you're riding. For training rides, you can even put a cell phone, keys, etc. in the Speedpack and keep them close at hand.

Edited by DarkSpeedWorks 2012-01-24 10:46 AM
2012-01-24 2:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
I run a bottle between the bars, and bottle on the seat tube and a gel flask on the top tube. I use on course liquids...Perform in one, water in the other. I also have a single bottle cage behind my seat with a bottle holding my flat kit: c02 cartridge and head, tire lever, multitool, and two tubes. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/undertheradar/IMAG0201.jpg
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do you carry tools/tube/C02/ hydration for IM distance Rss Feed