General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2012-05-30 8:05 AM
in reply to: #4234774

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
Subject: RE: Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev : Official Thread
Dream Chaser - 2012-05-30 7:45 AM

Major BC - 2012-05-29 9:30 PM I'm actually resting with a second straight day off. I hurt my back digging out a stump on Monday. See what I get for doing yard work. It's safer to do a century ride.

Sorry to hear about the back, Jim.  Heal up. 

One of the big traps of a Taper Week is toward the end of it you'll have more and more energy, and will spend less and less time training,  so we end up with a lot of free time and an abundance of energy.  This sometimes results in us taking on a neglected project around the house last-minute, right before a race, and risking a pulled muscle, a cut, or some other silly domestic injury. 

It's tough to fight this temptation with all this bottled-up energy so I just try to stick to cleaning out closets: it's safe, makes the wife happy, and doesn't use up too much energy and I'm not sore afterwards.  I've read of people tackling crazy big projects the days before a big race like building a deck or shed, or something similar.  All this does is jeopardize the hard training we've done.  The projects waited this long, they can wait a few more days till after the Race. 

And this tid-bit is NOT directed at you Jim.  It's more to remind myself, and this more for you, me and Dale come the Ironman-Taper or a 2-week taper for an event.  We won't experience this so much with only a week Taper; however, the Ironman Taper can be long and cruel.  The coined term is: Taper Madness.  I've experienced it a few times.  And it's not fun!  So you've been warned.

The back is fine.  This happens every so often with me.  Ill be swimming tonight.  This was not a case of too much energy as it was the morning after a 100 mile ride.  It was a case of over-tired body and over-zealous home owner.  But I fully understand there are dangers.  Its a great idea to be mentally prepared for "taper madness" so you dont do something and risk your training. 

So what is a typical taper week like before a HIM and what are 2 - 3 weeks of IM taper?  Im going to swim a mile tonight in Z2, run a 6 or 8 miles tomorrow in Z2, bike 30 on Friday in Z2 and probably a very light bike and/or swim on Sat.  Does this sound right?  Anyone doing more or less?

Edited by Major BC 2012-05-30 8:07 AM

2012-05-30 8:18 AM
in reply to: #4234894

Master
Northern IL
Major BC - 2012-05-30 8:05 AM

The back is fine.  This happens every so often with me.  Ill be swimming tonight.  This was not a case of too much energy as it was the morning after a 100 mile ride.  It was a case of over-tired body and over-zealous home owner.  But I fully understand there are dangers.  Its a great idea to be mentally prepared for "taper madness" so you dont do something and risk your training. 

So what is a typical taper week like before a HIM and what are 2 - 3 weeks of IM taper?  Im going to swim a mile tonight in Z2, run a 6 or 8 miles tomorrow in Z2, bike 30 on Friday in Z2 and probably a very light bike and/or swim on Sat.  Does this sound right?  Anyone doing more or less?

The volumes are fine, but I like to put in a little bit of race level effort too. That's about what I swim a HIM at, but I pick it up for a few minutes each out of the run and the bike. Maybe a couple times of that in there.

I'll be traveling so that affects things for me. I'm going swimming tonight at an open water session for a later sprint tri. Also have a run of ~6 miles or so on that course with a few minutes around estimated HIM race pacing. Had thought of some more riding last night, but decided to just sit in and do bike & car maintenance last night. Had some solid riding over the weekend including a 60 mile ride near race output, so should be fine there. Thursday and Friday do not have any plans. Just get there and get familiar with the area. I will try to run easy Saturday, ~30 min with a few min at race level. May or may not go to one of the Swim sessions Friday & Saturday.

It's worked out well for me to work out fairly strong closer in to the race, but rest a lot the last 4 days or so. I'll feel like garbage, but have pulled things together well on race day.

Edited by brigby1 2012-05-30 8:19 AM
2012-05-31 7:02 AM
in reply to: #4234894

User image

Major BC - 2012-05-30 9:05 AM
Dream Chaser - 2012-05-30 7:45 AM

Major BC - 2012-05-29 9:30 PM I'm actually resting with a second straight day off. I hurt my back digging out a stump on Monday. See what I get for doing yard work. It's safer to do a century ride.

Sorry to hear about the back, Jim.  Heal up. 

One of the big traps of a Taper Week is toward the end of it you'll have more and more energy, and will spend less and less time training,  so we end up with a lot of free time and an abundance of energy.  This sometimes results in us taking on a neglected project around the house last-minute, right before a race, and risking a pulled muscle, a cut, or some other silly domestic injury. 

It's tough to fight this temptation with all this bottled-up energy so I just try to stick to cleaning out closets: it's safe, makes the wife happy, and doesn't use up too much energy and I'm not sore afterwards.  I've read of people tackling crazy big projects the days before a big race like building a deck or shed, or something similar.  All this does is jeopardize the hard training we've done.  The projects waited this long, they can wait a few more days till after the Race. 

And this tid-bit is NOT directed at you Jim.  It's more to remind myself, and this more for you, me and Dale come the Ironman-Taper or a 2-week taper for an event.  We won't experience this so much with only a week Taper; however, the Ironman Taper can be long and cruel.  The coined term is: Taper Madness.  I've experienced it a few times.  And it's not fun!  So you've been warned.

Hi Jim.  Yeah, I know this was NOT the case with you.  Just reminded me of what can happen toward the end of the taper; and my brain is like a siv, so if I didn't mention it I'd of forgot it. 

That Taper sounds fine.  After all, for a bunch of us, this is a 'B Race'.  If it were an 'A Race' a more methodical 2-week taper would help.  A lot of plans have for their final days of Taper a 40 to 60% decrease in SBR volume at EZ Z1/Z2 effort with a few quick Race Pace intensity Strides/Pick-ups thrown in to wake up the neuromuscular Race System.   

2012-05-31 8:56 PM
in reply to: #4012454

User image

Veteran
State College, PA

Talk about waiting until the last minute. Just booked my hotel room.

Slightly further away than I wanted but not too bad. I'm over in Danbury, so about a 30 min drive. Not perfect, but it'll do.

I've also decided(after talking to my friend the PT) to do the entire Olympic race, then see how I feel the next day/after the HIM bike to see about that race.

2012-06-01 6:26 AM
in reply to: #4238306

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
drdking - 2012-05-31 9:56 PM

Talk about waiting until the last minute. Just booked my hotel room.

Slightly further away than I wanted but not too bad. I'm over in Danbury, so about a 30 min drive. Not perfect, but it'll do.

I've also decided(after talking to my friend the PT) to do the entire Olympic race, then see how I feel the next day/after the HIM bike to see about that race.

Good to hear you got a room.  Danbury is not too bad of an option.  Its a straight shot up I84 and there will be no traffic on the weekend, early mornings.

Unfortunately, you will be dealing with a complete washout tomorrow for the Oly race - rain from sunrise to sunset.  Be very careful on the bike.  Its also going to be cool out and early morning temps will be in the 50's.  This will break some immune systems down.   Sunday should be much better but you should be cautious after a tough day Saturday not to deplete yourself completely and end up sick. 

2012-06-01 4:33 PM

Master
Northern IL

I'm here. Drove the bike and run course. This is going to be fun! Is there even 3 miles of flat (<1% grade) on this course? I won't even notice the gaps on the cassette, so much up and down so fast. It'll be tough to hold back a little. It's exactly the type I like to really go after. They have the arrows out for both the Oly and Half. Oly is green, and Half is Pink. They are VERY visible and everything is very well marked. They put a few warnings out on the bad hill at 31.5 There is also a warning on Hard Hill Rd as there is a quick drop & turn straight into a stop sign intersection.

Run course will be fun too. The Oly was marked in yellow, but the Half is not marked yet. That last hill looks closer to a mile long. As soon as you make that turn, it starts to go up. Not tremendously, but it'll still be noticeable at 12 miles in. From actually seeing the course, it isn't so much the uphill that can get you, but all the downhill, with how steep and sharp they are. You need some leg strength to stay in control. Especially going around the lake, the turns are very sharp in there too. Someone with a little pace will notice the turns there.

2012-06-01 8:12 PM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA

As it always happens..

The one time when I decide not to over back and just bring what I "think" I'll need for a race is the time the forcaste has cold temps, rain, and wind in it.

Thankfully after a quick visit to Target I have my impromptu arm warmers thanks to the nobel sacrifice of a pair of crew socks. I don't have a jacket, but if I need to I can just put on the long sleeve running shirt I brought, hopefully it'll do the job.

2012-06-01 9:27 PM
in reply to: #4240227

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
drdking - 2012-06-01 9:12 PM

As it always happens..

The one time when I decide not to over back and just bring what I "think" I'll need for a race is the time the forcaste has cold temps, rain, and wind in it.

Thankfully after a quick visit to Target I have my impromptu arm warmers thanks to the nobel sacrifice of a pair of crew socks. I don't have a jacket, but if I need to I can just put on the long sleeve running shirt I brought, hopefully it'll do the job.

John, let me know what if you need something specific.  I have a lot of gear and will be there on Saturday afternoon to drop the bike off and Sunday morning for the race.  Its no biggie for me to bring something.  

2012-06-02 4:54 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Same here John, i have triples of just about everything but a bike....well, maybe that also.

If you need something let me know

I am off the the CT State TT Champs and will check back later, should be to Quassy around 3-4pm today

2012-06-02 6:11 AM

User image

Veteran

The weather is getting better and better!  I just looked (saturday, 7:09) and it looks like it should be in the mid to high 50's for the swim start, by 9 oclock, should be sunny and mid 60's.  Might be a cold bike start but i'm sure that bike course will keep you nice and warm....good luck tomorrow peeps!

2012-06-02 7:11 AM
in reply to: #4240227

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
drdking - 2012-06-01 8:12 PM

As it always happens..

John/drdking-

Hope it went OK today! I know the weather wasn't very cooperative but it was much worse last night-although still ugly early this morning. Tell us you didn't freeze out there...

Are you still planning on doing any part of the 1/2 tomorrow?

If not, make sure that you at least come to our 'gathering' after the race!!

Dale

Edited by dtoce 2012-06-02 7:13 AM

2012-06-02 10:23 AM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
Race went well today. A bit wet but other than that fine. Almost crashed on the bike due to my breaks not working, and took it real easy on the run. Feeling really good about tomorrow.If anyone wants to say hello, I'll be wondering around in a white Penn state ball cap and a Tour of the Battemkill t-shirt. Bib number 95. Still have my age on my right calf(29).
2012-06-02 4:11 PM

User image

If anyone can put up an athlete for the night near Quassy, Please send me a PM. My friend Dan is camping out in the Parking Lot cause he can't find a room. Well, actually he's saving all his money for a plane ticket cause he's doing Challenge Roth in Germany next month. I'm good friends with him, he's a super-nice, clean cut guy. If I didn't have the wife and kids I'd take him in myself.
2012-06-02 5:01 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Good luck, Rudy and everyone else out there tomorrow!
2012-06-02 5:17 PM
in reply to: #4240974

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT

Dream Chaser - 2012-06-02 5:11 PM If anyone can put up an athlete for the night near Quassy, Please send me a PM. My friend Dan is camping out in the Parking Lot cause he can't find a room. Well, actually he's saving all his money for a plane ticket cause he's doing Challenge Roth in Germany next month. I'm good friends with him, he's a super-nice, clean cut guy. If I didn't have the wife and kids I'd take him in myself.

Bobby, If he wants to drive an hour North tonight he can have our couch.  Iim sorry I dont have an extra room as we just moved into our house a few weeks ago.  Let me know. 

I got all the way home and found that they did not put a swim cap in my race packet.  I hope they can do something for me in the morning. 

2012-06-02 5:43 PM
in reply to: #4240974

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
Dream Chaser - 2012-06-02 5:11 PMIf anyone can put up an athlete for the night near Quassy, Please send me a PM. My friend Dan is camping out in the Parking Lot cause he can't find a room. Well, actually he's saving all his money for a plane ticket cause he's doing Challenge Roth in Germany next month. I'm good friends with him, he's a super-nice, clean cut guy. If I didn't have the wife and kids I'd take him in myself.
Found a room about 30 minutes away and on my way in - I could help him in the morning. It's in Torington up rt 8. It's $89 a night but I could pitch some in. Let me know. Quality Inn395 Winsted RoadTorrington? CT? 06790United States

2012-06-02 6:06 PM

User image

My Buddy found a room. Thank you to Everyone!
2012-06-02 6:09 PM
in reply to: #4241042

User image

Major BC - 2012-06-02 6:17 PM

Dream Chaser - 2012-06-02 5:11 PM If anyone can put up an athlete for the night near Quassy, Please send me a PM. My friend Dan is camping out in the Parking Lot cause he can't find a room. Well, actually he's saving all his money for a plane ticket cause he's doing Challenge Roth in Germany next month. I'm good friends with him, he's a super-nice, clean cut guy. If I didn't have the wife and kids I'd take him in myself.

Bobby, If he wants to drive an hour North tonight he can have our couch.  Iim sorry I dont have an extra room as we just moved into our house a few weeks ago.  Let me know. 

I got all the way home and found that they did not put a swim cap in my race packet.  I hope they can do something for me in the morning. 

No one got a swim cap. They will be on our bikes tomorrow morning as per Rev3 mgmt
2012-06-02 6:19 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Good luck tomorrow everybody!

Bobby, make us proud and set some new PR’s. 
2012-06-02 7:52 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

Good luck all!

I just found out, I'm volunteering to ride out the pros on the run course tomorrow.  6 of us for the top 3 men and women.  Should be cool!  Look for a guy on a Felt road bike wearing a TargetTraining kit.  I'll be all along the run course cheering you all on!

2012-06-03 3:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT

Okay boys, time to post up. 

From the Quassy results.  Bib 1563:

Swim: 37:54, Bike: 2:53:34, Run: 2:04:13, T1: 05:35, T2: 03:05, Total: 05:44:20

I looked in parking lot for Bobbys van with a cone on it but didint see it.  Also looked for Dales car with special plates but couldnt find it - so I left.  I hope everyone had a great day.  The weather was really cooperative.  I fell in T1 I was so dizzy from the swim when trying to take my wet suit off.  About 20 volunteers came over to embarass me further.  Overall, I was happy with my results.  Cant wait to hear about everyone else. 

2012-06-03 4:14 PM
in reply to: #4241850

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Major BC - 2012-06-03 4:09 PM

Okay boys, time to post up. 

From the Quassy results.  Bib 1563:

Swim: 37:54, Bike: 2:53:34, Run: 2:04:13, T1: 05:35, T2: 03:05, Total: 05:44:20

I looked in parking lot for Bobbys van with a cone on it but didint see it.  Also looked for Dales car with special plates but couldnt find it - so I left.  I hope everyone had a great day.  The weather was really cooperative.  I fell in T1 I was so dizzy from the swim when trying to take my wet suit off.  About 20 volunteers came over to embarass me further.  Overall, I was happy with my results.  Cant wait to hear about everyone else. 

Nice work. I dont have splits yet, but I'm closer to 7:00 (6:50?) than 5:44. That was brutal.
2012-06-03 4:57 PM

User image

Veteran

Good stuff...I had a great run..Held back the entire time on the bike and ran the entire 13 miles comfortably...

swim 37

bike 3:00

run 1:51

total w/ transitions 5:34

btw, did anyone else think that swim was loooooooooong?  it certainly felt it...

Great race, great volunteers, i'm in for next year!!!!

2012-06-03 5:02 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

I'm so sorry we didn't hook up afterwards, Jim! That's a great time-congratulations!

But I saw Bobby and Dan much of the day. Bobby caught me at the hill~mile 24 on the bike. Dan and I ran together the last 1/3 of the run. They both started WAY before me...I also didn't see anyone after I ate and walked around, so my wife and I left around 2:30pm.

-----------------------------------

I have much to tell, but will give the short version first-still exhausted from the day, but I've now completed my first triathlon!

Almost a DNS, quite close to DNF, but able to finish.

S-50:52 (60th out of 64 in my division:968/1063 finishers)-although I spent at least 6 or 7 minutes on a buoy or a kayak-not counting the treading water, laying on my back, sculling...)

T1-3:27

B-3:05:02 (38th out of 64: 562/1063)

T2-2:08

R-1:54:44 (34th out of 64: 454:1063)

Total=5:56:13

First OWS today. I now can see my glaringly obvious weakness...

2012-06-03 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA

Long story short I had an OK day.

I woke up feeling pretty good, my right shoulder was slightly stiff which would make the swim interesting but other than that I felt fine.

Had a decent swim, slow, but I was just on cruise mode trying not to expend any excess energy. I more of less just sat on people's feet the entire time so I wouldn't even have to site. Worked decently well other than coming around the second turn buoy when I took a foot to the face and had to pause to adjust my goggles. 

My goal for the bike was to take it easy and try to maintain about 70-75%FTP(my IM goal pace). Looking at my Garmin I was closer to 65-70%. I also took all the hills very easy trying to use as little energy as possible. Ended up with a very slow bike but I physically felt great. My nutrition/hydration plan worked great(other than forgetting my electorlite pills but with it being a cooler day wasn't an issue).

My foot felt fine getting off the bike so I decided to attempt to run. Started the run great at a nice slow pace, but about half a mile into it, right when the road starts going slighly downhill, I started to get a slight soreness in my foot. I decided not to risk an injury and pull the plug at the first aid station. It was not an easy call to make, I really wanted to continue but this close to Lake Placid I can't afford to take any stupid risks, the rest of the weekend went too well.

Overall I'm very pleased with the weekend.

I hope the rest of you had great races as well.

Edited by drdking 2012-06-03 5:33 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 7