Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Running stores Windsor, Chatham, London area ?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-28 4:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada
Subject: Running stores Windsor, Chatham, London area ??

A friend of mine is wanting to buy her first real pair of runners.  I am trying to talk her out of going to Sportchek and head to a specialty running store.  Does anyone have any recommendations for stores in the Windsor to London area that would spend the time with her to get her into a proper pair of shoes?

Thanks,

Dee

2012-01-28 4:43 PM
in reply to: #4016267

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Subject: RE: Running stores Windsor, Chatham, London area ??

That is a GREAT plan. 

I've had mixed results in London... I really like Runner's Choice - but I know some friends who have had terrible service.  If you're closer to London I would give them a try.  I really am not a fan of the Running Room in London - I think they've had another management overhaul - but I have not had good service there ever. (  However, your experience may be different. 

I REALLY like the Running Factory in Windsor.  They are phenomenal!  I've had excellent experience there every single time so I would strongly recommend the drive to Windsor.  It's too bad the Tortise and the Hare closed - I really liked them too...

My brother and sister in law are opening a store in Chatham - but not until March.  So that doesn't help you.

2012-01-30 12:09 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario

I agree with the above. I would stay clear of the London Running Room. Not a fan of them at all, when I first started they put me in a totally wrong shoe. And every time I have been up there the store has a new manager. My friend in london used to do clinics for them and won't anymore. 4 managers in one year is a bit much. My wife was fitted at Runners Choice and I thought they did an ok job but my wife has since switched shoes as well.

I totally agree with the above poster for choice in windsor. Running Factory is where I went for my next set of shoes. And I have stuck with that style shoe since and had far less issues.

It is so important to be in a proper shoe and have a proper fitting as you expressed.

I guess it depends on time and location of where you or better yet where she is.

Edited by Techdiver 2012-01-30 12:11 PM
2012-01-30 2:53 PM

Veteran
Ontario

Its been a few years, but I also never liked the downtown running room.  Just poor service.  That said Guelph Running Room has been good to me.

I'll 2nd runners choice.  I bought my first real running shoe there years ago.  They also run a good running series every year.

No matter where you end up, just make it a running store, NOT a sports store!

2012-01-30 6:31 PM

Veteran
London, Ontario
I highly recommend MultiSport Zone. The beauty of the store is that it is a complete Swim, Bike and Run store. I would suggest you check out their website and then give them a call. The website is http://www.multisport-zone.com/ They also have running clinics and coaching. They are in the south-west corner of London, which means they are near the highway. Good luck!
2012-01-31 10:08 PM

User image

Regular
Dorchester

The most important statement here is do not buy from a "sport check"  They sell a price point shoe, not a shoe made to log miles.

We like Runners Choice in London, Ontario.  Talk to Paul (owner), Brian or John.  They have been working there and running for many years.

2012-02-01 7:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON

This is a bit new to me, but can someone tell me why to stay away from Sportchek?  Is it just shoes?  I'll be honest, I've bought form fitted pants for running, shirts, etc. there whenever they're on sale.  I've always found there stuff reasonably priced when on sale but is there something I should be steering clear of at this store and why shoes?  What does price point shoes mean?

I bought my shoes from the new balance store in Waterloo, and the only reason I didn't buy the identical shoe from sportchek (about 100' away from the NB store) is they were 20 bucks cheaper at NB.  Is it sportchek, the service or level of expertise?

Edumacate me.

2012-02-01 8:00 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario

There are a couple concerns with Sportchek. 

1. Their staff is not trained to help runners choose shoes.  They are trained on the product lines they have for each sport, but not on how each shoe works and how it can help specific gait/training concerns.  Nor do they have any gait analysis training. 

2. They only carry a limited number of models from each manufacturer and rarely carry any special items (I.e. narrow widths, etc.)

3. Clothing is completely different from footwear.  I buy running clothing everywhere - from Target to Running Room.  Price point does make some difference in the quality - but in general if I like it I buy it.  It does not impact my actual gait running and I can't injure myself with clothing.  If you put someone in the wrong shoe you can end up with injuries. 

2012-02-01 1:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for all your replies.  I've forwarded them on.  Hopefully she follows my advice though I can really see her still going to Sportchek and picking a shoe for its looks rather than function.  
2012-02-01 1:47 PM
in reply to: #4022687

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Silver_wlf - 2012-02-01 9:00 AM

There are a couple concerns with Sportchek. 

1. Their staff is not trained to help runners choose shoes.  They are trained on the product lines they have for each sport, but not on how each shoe works and how it can help specific gait/training concerns.  Nor do they have any gait analysis training. 

2. They only carry a limited number of models from each manufacturer and rarely carry any special items (I.e. narrow widths, etc.)

3. Clothing is completely different from footwear.  I buy running clothing everywhere - from Target to Running Room.  Price point does make some difference in the quality - but in general if I like it I buy it.  It does not impact my actual gait running and I can't injure myself with clothing.  If you put someone in the wrong shoe you can end up with injuries. 

Agree on everything. I even worked at one of their stores for a while in university and I certainly did not know all that much for helping the specific needs of runners.

They are good for price point once you know what you wear/works for you and they happen to carry it.  I tried with a pair of Asics but they never get narrow widths which work best for me ... back to running room for me 

Edited by juniperjen 2012-02-01 1:48 PM
2012-02-01 4:00 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

I'm going to agree & disagree with comments on Sport Chek.  Yes, many of the employees are part timers who don't know much about running, and know a little about the shoe - unfortunately the same can be said of a "true" running store.

I was in the Sport Chek in Milton looking at shoes and spent time talking to the shoe guy for 30+ minutes, tyring to assess the next shoe for me.  He's been running and racing Ironman events before I ever laced up a pair of runners - some good knowledge there.

My advise, regardless of the store, ask some basic questions of the person selling you the shoes.  You should be able to figure out in a minute or so whether their advice is worth listening to.

2012-02-02 8:52 PM

User image

Regular
Dorchester
Speak to the actual reps from the shoe companies and you will find out that they make shoes specifically for stores like Sport Check based on looks and price point.  I am sure the guy is very knowledgeable about running, but that doesn't mean he has the right products.
2012-02-03 7:04 AM
in reply to: #4023954

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
GoFaster - 2012-02-01 4:00 PM

My advise, regardless of the store, ask some basic questions of the person selling you the shoes.  You should be able to figure out in a minute or so whether their advice is worth listening to.

This is true if you know what you're talking about.  I'm not saying there aren't knowlegeable people at Sportchek - I'm sure there are - but the problem is that the average person going in don't know that these people "don't know".  We're lucky that through our experiences we've learned and know enough to recognize when someone is knowledgeable.

I've gone into Sportchek with some of the girls from my learn to run clinics.  The shoe selection here in town is even worse than in bigger markets - but if you aren't ready to commit to driving 45 minutes and spending a hour with an expert, then I can find something that will "do" until you decide you're ready for the next step.  The poor kids at Sportchek know that when I come in they should just go get the shoes I'm asking for instead of trying to offer advice. Tongue out

2012-02-06 10:53 AM

User image

Sarnia

Elite Feet, downtown Port Huron, Michigan (cross at Sarnia).  Young guys (runners) who operate it - not sure that its a chain store, but they do have about 2 or 3 stores in Michigan.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Running stores Windsor, Chatham, London area ?? Rss Feed