General Discussion Triathlon Talk » question on gel bottle/flask Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-30 10:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: question on gel bottle/flask

do many people use gel bottles in ironman races . im just wondering how easy they are to use i find you have to really squeeze the packets to get the gel how easy are the bottles . just seems easier to carry 3 bottles (5 gels in each ) then ripping open all those packets

2012-01-30 10:42 PM
in reply to: #4019858

User image

Expert
Salem
Subject: RE: question on gel bottle/flask

I have a gel flask for my bike and one for my run that I hook onto my Hydration belt.  For a longer run such as a marathon or Ironman you could use a gel flask to start out with and in your special needs store another one to exchange out at the halfway point.  I wouldn't carry three gel bottles I'd rather live off the course.  I think most, again personal preference, would say just live off the course if you like their products offered; less is more in most cases.  On the bike I have seen people with two Gel Flasks one on the top of the top tube and one underneath. 

Hammer Gel has large bottles of Gel that is easier to fill up than squeezing packets one by one.  Cost is around $20 or so depending on where you buy it.  Comes in different flavors.  I prefer Rasberry Gel.  I fill the flask up almost to the top and put in a small amount of water shake to incorporate the water to thin it out some.

2012-01-31 10:25 AM

Regular
Houston

I usually fill up the flask about 1/2-2/3 full of gel and then fill the rest with water.  I find it easier to eat/drink the gel this way.

x2 on the big hammer gel bottles.  PM me for a 15% discount on Hammer

2012-01-31 10:36 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
The bottles are dead easy to use.  3 of them is...a lot.
2012-01-31 10:51 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
One of my gel bottles holds 4 gels with some water to make it thinner and easier to use. I used one on the first 1/2 of the IM bike and picked up a second for the second 1/2. I finished both of these on the bike. I had another one that I carried in my jersey pocket for the run with a fourth stashed in run special needs but I never even finished the first one on the run. Just drank perform and coke as my gut was protesting a little....

I do think it is easier to just take a sip out of the flask than it is to tear open a packet and suck it dry but that is just my opinion.
2012-01-31 11:07 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I use gel bottles for all my longer races.  If your body tolerates gel well it is a very easy, simple way to deal with your nutrition.  I use the five ounce Hammer gel bottles and mix three parts gel and two parts water.  For my IM, I changed that to four parts gel and one part water.  It makes it much easier to drink it down.

I usually figure (with the 3:2 mix) about one bottle per 60 - 90 minutes.  For an HIM, I put two in my tri top back pockets and parse them out over the ride and supplement my calories with sport drink supplied on the course.  Same with run, I grab two more in T2 and put them in my back pockets.

For the IM, I had 2 bottles in T1, 2 in special needs bag (bike), 2 in T2, and 2 in special needs bag (run).  I was pretty sick of it by the end of the day but it gave me what I needed.  Also, I hate the single serve packets.  Drives me crazy trying to squeeze/suck the gel out of them and I hate to see them littering the roadsides.

Edited by popsracer 2012-01-31 11:08 AM

2016-12-27 9:28 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Originally posted by popsracer

I use gel bottles for all my longer races.  If your body tolerates gel well it is a very easy, simple way to deal with your nutrition.  I use the five ounce Hammer gel bottles and mix three parts gel and two parts water.  For my IM, I changed that to four parts gel and one part water.  It makes it much easier to drink it down.

I usually figure (with the 3:2 mix) about one bottle per 60 - 90 minutes.  For an HIM, I put two in my tri top back pockets and parse them out over the ride and supplement my calories with sport drink supplied on the course.  Same with run, I grab two more in T2 and put them in my back pockets.

For the IM, I had 2 bottles in T1, 2 in special needs bag (bike), 2 in T2, and 2 in special needs bag (run).  I was pretty sick of it by the end of the day but it gave me what I needed.  Also, I hate the single serve packets.  Drives me crazy trying to squeeze/suck the gel out of them and I hate to see them littering the roadsides.

Brightens my day a little to see an old thread with popsracer giving advice. He was always informative and nice. RIP my friend.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » question on gel bottle/flask Rss Feed