General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can Everyone Float? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-01 12:57 PM

User image

Regular
Teaneck, New Jersey
Subject: Can Everyone Float?

I'm sure that I'm not the only one with this problem. I can't float. I've had coaches that say relax and you will float. I go to the shallow end of the pool, and lay there relaxed and sink to the bottom and stay there.  I'm 6'1 and 187lbs, thin but not skinny.  I believe this problem causes me to swim low in the water, wasting energy to raise my body.  Has anyone heard of this?

Harold Todman

2012-02-01 1:00 PM
in reply to: #4023501

User image

Master
syracuse
Subject: RE: Can Everyone Float?

yes.........ive heard of this....

i believe its called negatively buoyant

2012-02-01 1:03 PM
in reply to: #4023506

User image

Champion
I sink when i'm in shape but I dont think it ever hurt my swimming. Most swimmers are pretty lean/built and i'm sure some of htem sink, but doesn't seem to hold them back? could be wrong though
2012-02-01 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
htodman - 2012-02-01 12:57 PM

I'm sure that I'm not the only one with this problem. I can't float. I've had coaches that say relax and you will float. I go to the shallow end of the pool, and lay there relaxed and sink to the bottom and stay there.  I'm 6'1 and 187lbs, thin but not skinny.  I believe this problem causes me to swim low in the water, wasting energy to raise my body.  Has anyone heard of this?

Harold Todman

I used to not be able to float, 5'10" 150 lbs. Now I can sort
of float after being very floaty. As an ex-competitive swimmer I will say that
my ability, or lack thereof, to float does not affect my body position in the
water. Swimming is a technique driven event. If you are struggling to maintain
body position I suggest you find a coach to help you, it is very beneficial and
it would most likely not take many lessons to smooth things out.

2012-02-01 1:04 PM

User image

For me, it must be a matter of technique.  If I'm face down, and let my arms and legs go limp, my back will float on the surface.  So yes, my body does float.  But if I'm face up, I can't relax my arms and legs enough...slowly my legs will point downward and my head will submerge below the surface and eventually I'll end up floating face down again.

2012-02-01 1:05 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

I can't float. I'm also roughly your size.

Swimming low in the water is a different sitchyation...your body position in the water is determined by a number of factors - stroke, speed, body shape, kick, and technique. Buoyancy is one factor,  only accounts for a part of it - and most people (with some exceptions) can find an acceptable (and fast) position in the water by working on the other variables.

Look at the other side: if buoyancy were the ultimate determiner of speed (or potential speed) in the water, the swim team tryouts (at any level) would be somewhat different than they are now, no?!

2012-02-01 1:10 PM
in reply to: #4023517

Veteran
tri808 - 2012-02-01 2:04 PM

For me, it must be a matter of technique.  If I'm face down, and let my arms and legs go limp, my back will float on the surface.  So yes, my body does float.  But if I'm face up, I can't relax my arms and legs enough...slowly my legs will point downward and my head will submerge below the surface and eventually I'll end up floating face down again.

^^^
this

That said, I can float when wearing a wetsuit, which has come in very handy during my open-water panic attacks. As for the float/no-float effect on swimming, I'm sure that's the least of my issues.
2012-02-01 1:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
My legs sink. Always have. But they skim along the top of the water just fine when I'm swimming. I don't believe I spend any extra energy keeping em up there, either.
2012-02-01 1:14 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Try this and tell me what happens.

Stand up on both feet in water up to or deeper than your waist. Take a regular sized breath and hold it. Bend over and touch your toes with your hands. Can you do it?

Try this one: Bring your knees up to your chest, wrap your arms around them and tuck your chin down like a cannonball. Do you sink or float?

Some people have a much harder time staying near the surface, but hte truth is...everyone sinks. The key is to learn to sink horizontally. Next time at the pool try thsi party trick with friends.

Everyone stands up. Now slowly bend the knees, remain vertical in the water and pick your feet up off the bottom of the pool. Look around to see how much people actually sink. Most peole will have only the tops of their head over the water with 98% of their body underneath. Only the very most bouyant people (think of the 300lb aquacizer type athlete) will have their nose or even mouth above the water.

So...even if you ARE a sinker, menaing that none of your body is on the surface with any of the above party tricks, no need to despair...you actually dont "weigh" that much in the water. Prove it this way...have a small child (who is comfortable in the water) lift you off the bottom of the pool and hold you on the surface. Have them hold you with one hand. You only "weigh" a few pounds or less, even if you sink to the bottom.

The bottom line is that sinking is not a deal changer for swimmers. It requires more patience while learning good form since air is a little further away. But learning how to stremline the body to eliminate as much drag as possible is the first major step, that way any movement at all that creates propulsion will help you kep water flowing under your torso a bit providing some upward "lift" (not like an airplane wing, more like just holding a piece of cardboard in the wind).

I've worked with a handful of people that sink as you described, but once we get past basic body position drills and add a little bit of momentum, they have no trouble at all...and in some ways are better swimmers because of the amount of effort ot took to get there.
2012-02-01 1:28 PM
in reply to: #4023536

User image

Expert

I don't think I've ever met someone who couldn't do a "dead man's float" but I've known plenty of people who can't float on their back without kicking.  

Have you ever heard people discuss how when they lose weight to achieve an ideal "run weight" they end up negatively affecting their swim?  Body buoyancy really is a factor but it is isn't insurmountable.  You simply have to put a little more effort in to stay up on the water.

That being said, you aren't a lead weight.  You've got this ballast type object called your lungs and while it is not uncommon for legs to sink, you should be able to get the rest of you to float.  Let your legs rest on the bottom in the shallows and focus on the rest of your body (even if your knees are resting on the bottom).  The relaxation part really is a big component.

2012-02-01 1:35 PM
in reply to: #4023580

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
crazyalaskian - 2012-02-01 12:28 PM

I don't think I've ever met someone who couldn't do a "dead man's float" but I've known plenty of people who can't float on their back without kicking.  

Have you ever heard people discuss how when they lose weight to achieve an ideal "run weight" they end up negatively affecting their swim?  Body buoyancy really is a factor but it is isn't insurmountable.  You simply have to put a little more effort in to stay up on the water.

That being said, you aren't a lead weight.  You've got this ballast type object called your lungs and while it is not uncommon for legs to sink, you should be able to get the rest of you to float.  Let your legs rest on the bottom in the shallows and focus on the rest of your body (even if your knees are resting on the bottom).  The relaxation part really is a big component.

This is right on. When many people feel their legs sinking, they instinctively "reach up" with their arms or hands creating a vertical displacement that is countered by further sinking. Relaxing and allowing the legs to sink if they want, almost always results in the torso & upper body remaining on the surface. Working from here is a matter of developing comfort, body position and MINIMAL amount of kick to keep the legs up. Again, try the little kid trick. have someone support your feet near the surface while you float face down...they weigh less than a can of soup. When you realize how little they "weigh" in the water, you can really minimize the kick to help with balance rather than furiously splashing and using a lot of energy.

2012-02-01 1:35 PM

User image

Elite

I am thin and I have a hard time just floating on my back. I can do it but not very easy.  I believe the more body fat you have the easier it is to float.

However, if you are comparing general floating to swiming uphill(feet dragging) while swimming , i think that is an entirely different issue.  Yes probably we have a harder time but its more of a technique flaw than a body fat/non floating issue.

So I do not blame my "lean" stature when I lose form and start dropping my hips and legs.

you may just need to work on getting your hips up (not sure if thats the best term).  Use a pull buoy to feel the sensation

good luck

2012-02-01 2:14 PM
in reply to: #4023551

User image

Regular
Teaneck, New Jersey

AdventureBear - 2012-02-01 1:14 PM Try this and tell me what happens. Stand up on both feet in water up to or deeper than your waist. Take a regular sized breath and hold it. Bend over and touch your toes with your hands. Can you do it? Try this one: Bring your knees up to your chest, wrap your arms around them and tuck your chin down like a cannonball. Do you sink or float? Some people have a much harder time staying near the surface, but hte truth is...everyone sinks. The key is to learn to sink horizontally. Next time at the pool try thsi party trick with friends. Everyone stands up. Now slowly bend the knees, remain vertical in the water and pick your feet up off the bottom of the pool. Look around to see how much people actually sink. Most peole will have only the tops of their head over the water with 98% of their body underneath. Only the very most bouyant people (think of the 300lb aquacizer type athlete) will have their nose or even mouth above the water. So...even if you ARE a sinker, menaing that none of your body is on the surface with any of the above party tricks, no need to despair...you actually dont "weigh" that much in the water. Prove it this way...have a small child (who is comfortable in the water) lift you off the bottom of the pool and hold you on the surface. Have them hold you with one hand. You only "weigh" a few pounds or less, even if you sink to the bottom. The bottom line is that sinking is not a deal changer for swimmers. It requires more patience while learning good form since air is a little further away. But learning how to stremline the body to eliminate as much drag as possible is the first major step, that way any movement at all that creates propulsion will help you kep water flowing under your torso a bit providing some upward "lift" (not like an airplane wing, more like just holding a piece of cardboard in the wind). I've worked with a handful of people that sink as you described, but once we get past basic body position drills and add a little bit of momentum, they have no trouble at all...and in some ways are better swimmers because of the amount of effort ot took to get there.

I will definitely try some of these.

Thanks,

Harold

2012-02-01 2:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
Triathletes tend to get diverted by this topic.  Being able to float or not is basically irrelevant to swimming, as others have said.  Even the most fit and trim of us is probably carrying twice the body fat of pro swimmers and they swim just fine.
2012-02-01 2:21 PM
in reply to: #4023597

User image

Regular
Teaneck, New Jersey
FELTGood - 2012-02-01 1:35 PM

I am thin and I have a hard time just floating on my back. I can do it but not very easy.  I believe the more body fat you have the easier it is to float.

However, if you are comparing general floating to swiming uphill(feet dragging) while swimming , i think that is an entirely different issue.  Yes probably we have a harder time but its more of a technique flaw than a body fat/non floating issue.

So I do not blame my "lean" stature when I lose form and start dropping my hips and legs.

you may just need to work on getting your hips up (not sure if thats the best term).  Use a pull buoy to feel the sensation

good luck

I use a pull buoy and it helps immensely. I find swimming effortless with it, however, without it, I struggle. I will keep at it.

Harold

2012-02-01 2:23 PM
in reply to: #4023701

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
htodman - 2012-02-01 1:14 PM

AdventureBear - 2012-02-01 1:14 PM Try this and tell me what happens. Stand up on both feet in water up to or deeper than your waist. Take a regular sized breath and hold it. Bend over and touch your toes with your hands. Can you do it? Try this one: Bring your knees up to your chest, wrap your arms around them and tuck your chin down like a cannonball. Do you sink or float? Some people have a much harder time staying near the surface, but hte truth is...everyone sinks. The key is to learn to sink horizontally. Next time at the pool try thsi party trick with friends. Everyone stands up. Now slowly bend the knees, remain vertical in the water and pick your feet up off the bottom of the pool. Look around to see how much people actually sink. Most peole will have only the tops of their head over the water with 98% of their body underneath. Only the very most bouyant people (think of the 300lb aquacizer type athlete) will have their nose or even mouth above the water. So...even if you ARE a sinker, menaing that none of your body is on the surface with any of the above party tricks, no need to despair...you actually dont "weigh" that much in the water. Prove it this way...have a small child (who is comfortable in the water) lift you off the bottom of the pool and hold you on the surface. Have them hold you with one hand. You only "weigh" a few pounds or less, even if you sink to the bottom. The bottom line is that sinking is not a deal changer for swimmers. It requires more patience while learning good form since air is a little further away. But learning how to stremline the body to eliminate as much drag as possible is the first major step, that way any movement at all that creates propulsion will help you kep water flowing under your torso a bit providing some upward "lift" (not like an airplane wing, more like just holding a piece of cardboard in the wind). I've worked with a handful of people that sink as you described, but once we get past basic body position drills and add a little bit of momentum, they have no trouble at all...and in some ways are better swimmers because of the amount of effort ot took to get there.

I will definitely try some of these.

Thanks,

Harold

one last trick is to jump in the deep end holding yoru breath. How deep do you go, and when you stop sinking, do you come all the way back to the surface? Also just try it from teh surface in the deep end. Hold your breath & relax..how deep do you go?

2012-02-01 2:45 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

In college, I was a sinker. Meaning that if I exhaled, I sank to the bottom. Not just my legs sinking (though it started there). Even doing the tuck test, I sank.

But... One way to back float when the legs tend to sink (but you actually are positive buoyant) is to try putting your arms straight "up" (parallel to your torso) so they counteract the sinking of the legs. You'll likely float flatter.

2012-02-01 2:52 PM

User image

Regular
Southern Maryland

My dad has always said... "I don't float, I sink."

I've watched him jump in the deep end of a pool to demonstrate. He immediately turns stiff as a board and unsurprisingly drops to the bottom like a rock. I've attempted to coach him into relaxing to no avail.

After talking to him, I'm pretty confident his inability to float stems directly from some sort of irrational fear of deep water.

2012-02-01 3:59 PM

I found if I dont keep my lungs full of air while relaxing I will still sink. I always keep my lungs filled between around 50% to 80% give or take for breathing and never have a problem.
2012-02-01 4:12 PM
in reply to: #4023551

User image

Champion
Calgary
AdventureBear - 2012-02-01 12:14 PM

Try this and tell me what happens.

Stand up on both feet in water up to or deeper than your waist. Take a regular sized breath and hold it. Bend over and touch your toes with your hands. Can you do it?

Try this one: Bring your knees up to your chest, wrap your arms around them and tuck your chin down like a cannonball. Do you sink or float?

Some people have a much harder time staying near the surface, but hte truth is...everyone sinks. The key is to learn to sink horizontally. Next time at the pool try thsi party trick with friends.

Everyone stands up. Now slowly bend the knees, remain vertical in the water and pick your feet up off the bottom of the pool. Look around to see how much people actually sink. Most peole will have only the tops of their head over the water with 98% of their body underneath. Only the very most bouyant people (think of the 300lb aquacizer type athlete) will have their nose or even mouth above the water.

So...even if you ARE a sinker, menaing that none of your body is on the surface with any of the above party tricks, no need to despair...you actually dont "weigh" that much in the water. Prove it this way...have a small child (who is comfortable in the water) lift you off the bottom of the pool and hold you on the surface. Have them hold you with one hand. You only "weigh" a few pounds or less, even if you sink to the bottom.

The bottom line is that sinking is not a deal changer for swimmers. It requires more patience while learning good form since air is a little further away. But learning how to stremline the body to eliminate as much drag as possible is the first major step, that way any movement at all that creates propulsion will help you kep water flowing under your torso a bit providing some upward "lift" (not like an airplane wing, more like just holding a piece of cardboard in the wind).

I've worked with a handful of people that sink as you described, but once we get past basic body position drills and add a little bit of momentum, they have no trouble at all...and in some ways are better swimmers because of the amount of effort ot took to get there.

hey, this is a super cool post. thanks.
2012-02-01 4:14 PM
in reply to: #4023517

Veteran
tri808 - 2012-02-01 12:04 PM

This, except that I'll sink facedown if I let my breath out.

2012-02-01 4:58 PM
in reply to: #4023991

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Beach, CA
adrian. - 2012-02-01 2:14 PM
tri808 - 2012-02-01 12:04 PM

This, except that I'll sink facedown if I let my breath out.

x2

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can Everyone Float? Rss Feed