General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My Crossfit Training Result/Experience Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2012-02-05 5:02 PM

Regular
Subject: My Crossfit Training Result/Experience

Let me start by saying the purpose of this post is not to throw a hand grenade in to the CF vs traditional training.  I just wanted to share my personal experience. 

In 2010 I ran the Huntington Beach ½ Marathon in preparation for the CA IM 70.3.  I was following the Beginner Triathlete Beginner ½ IM plan.  Prior to that I had done a few shorter triathlons and running events.  I came to triathlon because I wanted to be a fit person and training in three sports must mean you’re fit, right.  I ran the HB 13.1 in 1:57:25 with 3 mile split of 0:27:36 and a 8.2 mile split of 1:14:12.

I was introduced to Crossfit in the fall of 2010 and I thought it would be worth a shot for my off season training.  After CFing for about 2 months, I found my general fitness was much better than it ever was even at the peak of my tri training.  I decided due to the demands of my job the general physical preparedness was what I needed plus I really liked the fact most workouts are less then 30min. 

Fast forward a year I still CF and also do CE swim and run workouts just to maintain those modalities. I was asked by a friend to sign up for a 13.1 with her so she would not
have any excuse to back out.  I decided to treat the race as an experiment.  I decided not to train for the race and test CF claim that they train you for any physical demanding situation.  Leading up to the race, I have not run farther than 3 miles at one time.  I only did CF workouts and some CF endurance interval workouts.   Today, I ran the HB 13.1 in 1:59:05 with a 3 mile split of 0:27:48 and a 8.2 mile split of 1:14:15.  I was shocked, I have not run farther than 3 miles since summer of 2010.  CF prepared me to run 13.1 with less than a 2min difference of run specific training.

If anyone has kicked around the idea of giving CF or CF endurance a try, I highly recommend it, especially if you came to tri like I did just looking for a physically fit lifestyle. 

2012-02-05 5:22 PM
in reply to: #4030726

User image

Regular
Westfield, IN
Subject: RE: My Crossfit Training Result/Experience

This is Beginner Triathlete not Beginner Crossfit. 

If you ran instead of doing crossfit you probably would have smashed your previous time.

2012-02-05 8:26 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Different strokes for different folks.

If CF works for the OP than more power to him.  Congrats on your great HM time

2012-02-05 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4030745

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
indianacyclist - 2012-02-05 3:22 PM

This is Beginner Triathlete not Beginner Crossfit. 

If you ran instead of doing crossfit you probably would have smashed your previous time.

My thoughts exactly. If the point of CF is to enable you to jump into any activity and succeed, then it accomplishes that goal. If you truly want to maximize your running potential, crossfit isn't made to do it.
2012-02-05 9:08 PM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
moose441 - 2012-02-05 6:02 PM

Let me start by saying the purpose of this post is not to throw a hand grenade in to the CF vs traditional training.  I just wanted to share my personal experience. 

In 2010 I ran the Huntington Beach ½ Marathon in preparation for the CA IM 70.3.  I was following the Beginner Triathlete Beginner ½ IM plan.  Prior to that I had done a few shorter triathlons and running events.  I came to triathlon because I wanted to be a fit person and training in three sports must mean you’re fit, right.  I ran the HB 13.1 in 1:57:25 with 3 mile split of 0:27:36 and a 8.2 mile split of 1:14:12.

I was introduced to Crossfit in the fall of 2010 and I thought it would be worth a shot for my off season training.  After CFing for about 2 months, I found my general fitness was much better than it ever was even at the peak of my tri training.  I decided due to the demands of my job the general physical preparedness was what I needed plus I really liked the fact most workouts are less then 30min. 

Fast forward a year I still CF and also do CE swim and run workouts just to maintain those modalities. I was asked by a friend to sign up for a 13.1 with her so she would not
have any excuse to back out.  I decided to treat the race as an experiment.  I decided not to train for the race and test CF claim that they train you for any physical demanding situation.  Leading up to the race, I have not run farther than 3 miles at one time.  I only did CF workouts and some CF endurance interval workouts.   Today, I ran the HB 13.1 in 1:59:05 with a 3 mile split of 0:27:48 and a 8.2 mile split of 1:14:15.  I was shocked, I have not run farther than 3 miles since summer of 2010.  CF prepared me to run 13.1 with less than a 2min difference of run specific training.

If anyone has kicked around the idea of giving CF or CF endurance a try, I highly recommend it, especially if you came to tri like I did just looking for a physically fit lifestyle. 

It sounds to me that you're main goal was to improve overall fitness not become a competitive triathlete. Crossfit allowed you to achieve that goal while still maintaining your HM time. Congrats!!!

Everyone has different goals here and we should cheer each others successes and encourage when needed. I don't see the point of bashing someone's success especially considering the OP disclaimer at the beginning of the post.

2012-02-05 9:28 PM
in reply to: #4030745

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,

To each his own, if it works for you and you enjoy it, why not!  I have done crossfit as well, do my own version in the gym, modified to what works for me at my age.  There are always those that can only think within the box!  Good luck with it and keep moving forward!

2012-02-05 11:08 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Congrats! Nice HIM time with or without CF.
2012-02-05 11:26 PM

Regular

Thanks, to those that got it.  Today reminded me how much fun races are and as a "beginner triathlete" posting on beginner triathlete, I am already picking out my next tri to do for FUN. Sorry, Indianacyclist am still going to CF, like I said before I need to be GPP for my work. 

Edited by moose441 2012-02-05 11:30 PM
2012-02-06 5:31 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
After 2 years of specific training, I took > 10 minutes off my half mary time.... I guess it depends on what your goals are, and what motivates you personally. CF is not for me, and I personally think their approach can be dangerous (in terms of injury risk) for lots of folks. If it works for you, great, but I personally wouldn't recommend it for most people....
2012-02-06 8:00 AM

User image

Master

Interesting post. I have been thinking about CF as I read the boards. I have a few friends that do CF, and I think that there is a lot to be gained by including higher intensity work and weights in training if your goal is overall fitness AND triathlon.

One thing I really wonder is how CF, or an experiment like yours, would apply to a longer tri, especially swimming.

I would be interested to hear of your results after those tris you are signed up for.

2012-02-06 8:45 AM
in reply to: #4031010

User image

Pro
moose441 - 2012-02-06 12:26 AM

Thanks, to those that got it.  Today reminded me how much fun races are and as a "beginner triathlete" posting on beginner triathlete, I am already picking out my next tri to do for FUN. Sorry, Indianacyclist am still going to CF, like I said before I need to be GPP for my work. 

Indianacyclist wasn't telling you to stop going to CF. He was simply saying that if you did run-specific training, you would have been faster. I think everyone can agree with that point.

Do what makes you happy and helps you achieve your goals.

If general fitness is your goal, go about it by whatever means you choose. If you wanna drop a few minutes from your half marathon time, then run. 

2012-02-06 8:48 AM
in reply to: #4030910

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
Do what you enjoy doing. If CF works for you and your goals then keeping doing it. I have been on here for several years and even though you had the disclaimer at the beginning, I could see some of the responses coming. Some people take this hobby way too seriously. I hope you enjoy your next Tri.
2012-02-06 11:40 AM

User image

Veteran
, Nova Scotia

First - congrats to the OP for finding an enjoyable programme, staying with it, and getting fitter.  For most of us, that is the goal.  We just choose tri training as the means.

Two points to remember about CF and this case.  One, part of CF (often overlooked) is to "learn a new sport every year."  The OP took this to be swimming and cycling.  Two, this likely increased cardio ability beyond CF alone.  That's okay, not an inditement of CF, because doing other things is part of the plan.

I used to work with a guy who was a CF freak and trainer.  He looked like the ads, was half my age, and could beat me at any fitness competition, any time.  I would have destroyed him in a tri, though.  He can't swim. 

Pick a plan, stay with it, have fun.

2012-02-06 11:54 AM

User image

Pro
For me, there's just not enough cool toys to buy for a CF program.
2012-02-06 1:10 PM

Veteran

Congratulations and nice job! It is always nice to see alternative training paths even if everyone doesn't get it

Just out of curiousity to comapre the two. How do you think you feel between the two training methods? Stronger? lighter? fatigue with one or the other? soreness?

2012-02-06 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4030910

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
SCamp07 - 2012-02-05 9:08 PM

It sounds to me that you're main goal was to improve overall fitness not become a competitive triathlete. Crossfit allowed you to achieve that goal while still maintaining your HM time. Congrats!!!

Everyone has different goals here and we should cheer each others successes and encourage when needed. I don't see the point of bashing someone's success especially considering the OP disclaimer at the beginning of the post.

I second this.

I don't do crossfit, but I cross train a lot. (Sometimes it's "crossfit-like.") I have a 7 month old son, so my triathlete wife and I are trying to fit in ANY sort of workout whenever we can. And I'm prone to running injuries, so even though I'm best at running (just did a 1:25 half mary in the dead of winter here in MN last weekend), if I run more than 3 days a week, I'll blow out my heel or knee.

Keep up the "fit" lifestyle!! Happy training!!

2012-02-06 1:23 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Now, I would like to see what your run volume was... with those 3 mile runs. My coach only run up to 1 hour at the most... training for his IM marathon (due to injury). And he pulled off his best marathon yet.

So while CF probably didn't hurt... a lot of people have success with running distances... by doing a lot of short runs.

Just something to think about.

2012-02-06 1:40 PM

User image

Master

I think the reason these threads always "blow up" is that whether the OP wants to admit it or not - there seems to be an inherent agenda embedded in the post.  They always start with I'm not trying to start another big CF debate....but look how well I performed not doing sport specific training and you should drink the kool aid too, etc., etc.

I looked back through your training from before your HM.  If your logs are correct, in the months leading up to the HM you ran approx. 22 miles, 68 miles, 30 miles and 19 miles in Jan, Dec, Nov and Oct respectively.  Additionally, it appears your run training lacked consistency.  So while you had some longer runs it doesn't appear you maintained a training plan to maximize your performance in the HM.  I would suggest that had you maintained a solid running consistency you would have done better on your initial HM and the subsequent results from following CF would have appeared more substandard than a 2 minute decline.  Also note that your last 5 miles were where the 2 min decline in performance came.  Now, we are talking 2 races and many variables so really hard to make a comparison.

I think we can all agree that we are happy anytime someone finds a fitness program that works for them.  I think some of us want to throw the BS flag when people suggest that CF is the equivalent of following a solid training plan containing sport specific workouts.

2012-02-06 1:47 PM
in reply to: #4032168

Veteran
dangremond - 2012-02-06 2:40 PM

I think the reason these threads always "blow up" is that whether the OP wants to admit it or not - there seems to be an inherent agenda embedded in the post.  They always start with I'm not trying to start another big CF debate....but look how well I performed not doing sport specific training and you should drink the kool aid too, etc., etc.

I looked back through your training from before your HM.  If your logs are correct, in the months leading up to the HM you ran approx. 22 miles, 68 miles, 30 miles and 19 miles in Jan, Dec, Nov and Oct respectively.  Additionally, it appears your run training lacked consistency.  So while you had some longer runs it doesn't appear you maintained a training plan to maximize your performance in the HM.  I would suggest that had you maintained a solid running consistency you would have done better on your initial HM and the subsequent results from following CF would have appeared more substandard than a 2 minute decline.  Also note that your last 5 miles were where the 2 min decline in performance came.  Now, we are talking 2 races and many variables so really hard to make a comparison.

I think we can all agree that we are happy anytime someone finds a fitness program that works for them.  I think some of us want to throw the BS flag when people suggest that CF is the equivalent of following a solid training plan containing sport specific workouts.

He never said this will make you a better Triathelete. He said it was an alternative to "looking for a physically fit lifestyle". As this is a biginner site not everyone on here is looking to place in their age group. Some are just looking to be healthier and have some fun.

We should all be open to new ideas for enjoying a healthy lifestyle and acheiving specific goals. We don't all have to take the same path to get to them

2012-02-06 1:59 PM
in reply to: #4032187

User image

Master
psycleridr - 2012-02-06 2:47 PM

He never said this will make you a better Triathelete. He said it was an alternative to "looking for a physically fit lifestyle". As this is a biginner site not everyone on here is looking to place in their age group. Some are just looking to be healthier and have some fun.

We should all be open to new ideas for enjoying a healthy lifestyle and acheiving specific goals. We don't all have to take the same path to get to them

Read it how you want - he states he wanted to do an experiment to see if CF would allow him to compete without run specific training.  He then states it did.   His point in posting was to say - see I can compete in a HM without run specific training. he then suggests it worthwile for others to try his approach too.  I disagree with his premise. Very simple.

2012-02-06 2:17 PM
in reply to: #4032215

Veteran
dangremond - 2012-02-06 2:59 PM
psycleridr - 2012-02-06 2:47 PM

I came to triathlon because I wanted to be a fit person and training in three sports must mean you’re fit, right. 

After CFing for about 2 months, I found my general fitness was much better than it ever was even at the peak of my tri training.  

I decided not to train for the race and test CF claim that they train you for any physical demanding situation

Read it how you want - he states he wanted to do an experiment to see if CF would allow him to compete without run specific training.  He then states it did.   His point in posting was to say - see I can compete in a HM without run specific training. he then suggests it worthwile for others to try his approach too.  I disagree with his premise. Very simple.

I am reading it how it is written and not how I want. Key points is general fitness, any physically demanding situation, and physically fit lifestyle. Triathalon is how he tested his theory. He never claimed he was a better triathalete or this would make you a better triathalete.

The reason these threads "blow up" is because some choose to take this board very seriously and want to get a PR every time or place in their AG. As a bginner site not everyone here qualifies for the competetive aspect. Some are very happy with the complete and general health that comes with doing SBR among other things.

I would agree that to be a better triathalete especially at the longer distance you need to have specific training in SBR but for the shorter stuff you dont. Take it for what it is

2012-02-06 2:42 PM

User image

Veteran

And lets remember that there is a good bit of running done if you CF 4 to 6x per week and follow the crossfit endurance multisport training protocal of an additional 2 run, 2 swim and 2 bike workouts per week.

I trian this way and it ends up being 6 to 10 hrs per week depending on how many sessions I miss due to work. I'm not sure it saves me any time. I would max out at 10hrs per week regardless.

CF did help me make huge gains over 13.1 especially relative to my prior run training method. But it isnt because of magic. I am just working WAY harder now. I was stuck in the 2:20's for 13.1 prior to starting crossfit. I am now down to 145. But they also got me to commit to changing my eating habits and my weight dropped from 185 to 160 so that is most of it right there I am sure.

As for injury prevention - I can see it 2 ways. CFE will tell you that learning proper running form and logging fewer but more intense miles will actually prevent overuse injury. That may be true. But I have gotten more beat up in my 2 years of crossfit than in any other "hobby" I have involved myself in.

I keep hoping one day, about 50mi into the bike leg of a 70.3 that the race director will have everyone dismount and bust out 20 handstand pushups. Hasnt happened yet. But I will be ready!

CF is a blast. If it makes me train more/harder because I enjoy it then I ma all for it.

And to the OP - congrats on your run!

2012-02-06 2:59 PM
in reply to: #4032316

User image

Pro
jimmy3993 - 2012-02-06 3:42 PM

And lets remember that there is a good bit of running done if you CF 4 to 6x per week and follow the crossfit endurance multisport training protocal of an additional 2 run, 2 swim and 2 bike workouts per week.

I trian this way and it ends up being 6 to 10 hrs per week depending on how many sessions I miss due to work. I'm not sure it saves me any time. I would max out at 10hrs per week regardless.

CF did help me make huge gains over 13.1 especially relative to my prior run training method. But it isnt because of magic. I am just working WAY harder now. I was stuck in the 2:20's for 13.1 prior to starting crossfit. I am now down to 145. But they also got me to commit to changing my eating habits and my weight dropped from 185 to 160 so that is most of it right there I am sure.

As for injury prevention - I can see it 2 ways. CFE will tell you that learning proper running form and logging fewer but more intense miles will actually prevent overuse injury. That may be true. But I have gotten more beat up in my 2 years of crossfit than in any other "hobby" I have involved myself in.

I keep hoping one day, about 50mi into the bike leg of a 70.3 that the race director will have everyone dismount and bust out 20 handstand pushups. Hasnt happened yet. But I will be ready!

CF is a blast. If it makes me train more/harder because I enjoy it then I ma all for it.

And to the OP - congrats on your run!

Ok, that literally made me laugh out loud!

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us!

2012-02-06 3:00 PM
in reply to: #4032168

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

that, and the fact that CrossFit is clearly the work of Satan

2012-02-06 3:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
What I want to know is if triathletes, runners, cyclists etc go on CF forums and tell all those posters how awesome their sport specific training is. Yeah....I doubt it. That's one of the big problems I have with crossfit.....they just can't wait to tell everybody else how awesome their training program is.Here's the deal: I don't care.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My Crossfit Training Result/Experience Rss Feed  

of 5