General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diphenhydramine cause muscle cramps? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-06 4:31 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Diphenhydramine cause muscle cramps?

I experienced a strong muscle cramp in my right calf on Saturday. 2.25 miles in on a 3 mile run.  I had run 20 min each day of the week prior.  Everything has been at 8:00 or higher pace as I am coming of a meniscus repair Dec 29.   Still sore today and I have been trying to look back and see what has changed.  The only thing I can find is that I have been taking and OTC sleep aid for about 2.5 weeks.  I wake up with a very dry mouth and feel "dry" all day.  Any one else have a similar issue.  I was scared it was the "calf hearth attack" but the pain is in the gastrocnemius up high on the outside of the muscle. There is a very small very sore spot like a deep bruise. 

Only other time I have had a cramp like this was in a Rball tourney after taking tylenol cold and flu to battle a strong cold.  Went to jump to let a shot go under me and wham.  Full lock up of both calves.  This feels alot like that one. 

Thanks  Dan

2012-02-06 4:35 PM
in reply to: #4032587

User image

Subject: RE: Diphenhydramine cause muscle cramps?
You're overrunning your fitness.

Benadryl isn't causing it.

2012-02-06 4:37 PM

User image

Regular
I hear overrunning fitness thrown out but I can run a 19:00 5k and 40:00 10k and swim a 14:00 1000yrd.  I guess I am not a fit as I thought.
2012-02-06 4:59 PM
in reply to: #4032595

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens

While there is some debate on what is the direct cause of muscle cramps it is widely accepted that muscle fatigue, electrolyte imbalances, and dehydration are frequently identified as contributing factors.  I beleive you are right to assume the OTC drugs you are taking are leading to painful cramps.  

One of the desired side effects of antihistamine is to dry the sinus passages.  Medical experts note that the antihistamine properties of diphenhydramine can thicken the mucous in the lungs, occasionally making it more difficult to breath.  Headaches may also result from the drying properties of diphenhydramine.  Further, users should drink plenty of fluids to prevent the dehydration that often leads to these side effects. 

2012-02-06 5:13 PM

Master
, California
Chuckhead - 2012-02-06 2:31 PM

I experienced a strong muscle cramp in my right calf on Saturday. 2.25 miles in on a 3 mile run.  I had run 20 min each day of the week prior.  Everything has been at 8:00 or higher pace as I am coming of a meniscus repair Dec 29.   Still sore today and I have been trying to look back and see what has changed.  The only thing I can find is that I have been taking and OTC sleep aid for about 2.5 weeks.  I wake up with a very dry mouth and feel "dry" all day.  Any one else have a similar issue.  I was scared it was the "calf hearth attack" but the pain is in the gastrocnemius up high on the outside of the muscle. There is a very small very sore spot like a deep bruise. 

Only other time I have had a cramp like this was in a Rball tourney after taking tylenol cold and flu to battle a strong cold.  Went to jump to let a shot go under me and wham.  Full lock up of both calves.  This feels alot like that one. 

Thanks  Dan

That'd be my first suspect.  Even if the recovery was quick, being off your feet for even a short time can affect your strength.  And a small change in your running gait due to the surgery could cause cramping at first.

Just my opinion as a guy who's had a few knee surgeries

2012-02-06 5:45 PM

User image

Clemson, SC
Wouldn't surprise me. Benadryl is some nasty stuff to me... I get muscle pains from it just sitting still.

2012-02-06 5:51 PM
in reply to: #4032593

User image

DanielG - 2012-02-06 5:35 PM

You're overrunning your fitness.

Benadryl isn't causing it.

Oh, BTW, I take benadryl about every night and have for coming up on 21 years now.

I'm still thinking you took time off and you're trying to go your previous pace. It won't work. Give it time.

2012-02-06 10:19 PM

User image

Champion
Unlikely... benadryl is also used to treat acute dystonia, which essentially is really severe, tonic cramping. Benadryl has anticholinergic side effects along with the antihistaminic effects, which decreases motor neuron excitation. At least this is what I'm going with for my psych final tomorrow... So I hope I'm right! Haha. My guess is you have over exerted yourself, dehydration, not high enough fitness level for the workout level, low glucose, etc, etc.
2012-02-06 10:54 PM

User image

Regular

Called my PA and he thinks it is/was an alignment issue.  I now have a much more normal gait when I run compared to pre sx.  He laughed and when he was done he said basically to sit on the couch and relax.  Seems my leg needs to adapt a little better. 

And he added that any antihistamine can add to being dehydrated and to watch it better as I am horrible at drinking H2O.

So in the end.  To much to soon. 

Thanks for the advise. 

Dan

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diphenhydramine cause muscle cramps? Rss Feed