General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prostate Cancer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-07 11:58 AM

User image

Subject: Prostate Cancer

Diagnosed in December with prostate cancer.  The treatment plan starts with hormone therapy, which means cutting off the production of testosterone.  The next steps involve radiation treatment.  So I have now been one month without testosterone and I think that has been the cause of some physical side affects.  These include muscle soreness, slow recovery after a good work out, cramps, mild muscle pulls, etc.  It is hard to tell how much is related to the hormone situation and how much is just because I went through a couple of months of not working out as much as usual.  But it sure makes it hard to keep a good training program going. 

Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and can share their experience.

Many thanks,

Jim

2012-02-08 7:42 AM
in reply to: #4033869

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Subject: RE: Prostate Cancer
No experience, but I wanted to wish you the best with your treatment and recovery. 
2012-02-10 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Hi Jim,I am not in your same situation obviously as I am a girl...lol...BUT...I just finished 25 external rads and 3 internal rad tx for cervical ca and I can tell you that radiation sucks your energy! Very very tiring. I am also very achy from my hips down. If you go to the runners world website there is a forum "running with cancer". You may be able to find someone with prostate ca.Stay strong, have faith and keep moving! Cancer survivors are warriors!Alicia
2012-02-13 12:41 PM
in reply to: #4040543

User image

Thanks for the tip on Runners World Alicia.  There are a lot of people out there running with cancer.  It really puts it in perspective.  Radiation starts in 3 weeks, so I guess I have that to look forward to.  I can deal with being tired for a while if it is killing rogue cells.

Jim

2013-02-06 10:31 AM
in reply to: #4044846

User image

New user

Hi, Just wondering how you made out following radiation. I just got the results from my Biopsy and it tested positive for cancer; so I am now beginning the journey on dealing with PC.
Mike
2013-02-09 1:29 PM

Jim, Mike and Alicia:

So sorry about membership in the "C" club.  I have stage four non-Hodgkins follicular lymphoma, a very slow growing, but incurable blood cancer.  So far "treatment" is a watch and wait protocol.  My plan is to stay away from chemo as long as possible.  However, this is not appropriate for many cancers.

At any rate, please check out this link to a very compelling discussion about the metabolic foundation of cancer.  http://diagnosisdiet.com/blog/ It has been an eye-opener for me these lasts couple of weeks, particularly since my MIL passed from metastatic melanoma (brain cancer) about three weeks ago.  Too bad she didn't have the advantage of this information as it may have made a difference in her quality of life has she followed the diet recommendation.

I don't have the sense that this diet approach is advanced by some nut job.  The people behind the research are credible.

Diet changes alone are probably not going to cure prostate or cervical cancer, however, retaining control over our lives and bodies during this crazy time in life certainly is cathartic.

Alicia-I think I remember you from the RW forum a long time ago.  I hope you are well.

2013-02-13 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4615749

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach

Yes! it is the same Alicia from Runner's world

How are you? its too bad the forum disappeared from runner's world, I sure hope everyone is doing k. I am doing great! This month is one year since I completed chemo and rad and I am full of energy again ;-).

Thank you for this info, very interesting. I am a firm believer that diet does help. At this point I am around 90% plant based and hope to be 100% soon, the only animal protein I currently eat is fish. My own oncologist strongly advocates minimal animal protein if any ;-)

Stay well! hugs to you,

Alicia

2013-11-11 7:15 PM
in reply to: trirun26

User image

Hi Jim,

I know you posted this a while back, but I thought I'd chip in and maybe pick your brain (or anyone else's who want to offer a part of theirs).

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in June 2013, only one week after having a broken clavicle surgically repaired... yeah - it was one hell of a summer! Anyway, I was in the best shape I'd been in for 25 years when I found out. Iactually broke my collar bone on a bike ride from Pittsburg to DC. Since then, with allowing my shoulder to heal and researching my treatment options I'm now in possibly the worst shape I've been in. Just today, I received beacon implants in my prostate for the 9 weeks or radiation treatment, plus I began hormone therapy.

I'm planning on focussing my attention on my workouts to power my way through affects of the lupron and radiation. Any words of wisdom from someone who's been there? I can also use some positive energy sent my way if anyone has any left after their own workouts. My radiation treatment should be finished in February and I'm planning on comming back for a June triathlon. Any thoughts to this being too aggressive?

Thanks,

John
2014-03-14 11:09 AM
in reply to: jpjosey61

User image

Regular
Hi John,

While my cancer wasn't prostate I did have squamous cell carcinoma that started in my tonsils and spread to lymph nodes in my neck. It was stage IV when found in May 2013. I did 7 wks of radiation and chemo that ended August 9th. I just came back to work in Feb part time and full time in March. Not to scare anyone but what I had is supposed to be one of the worst for treatment. Couple that with adverse reactions to meds that almost killed me and a foot long blood clot in my left leg and you can see why it took so long. That said, I've been working out since January. Running is very slow and short because of the clot. Endurance really took a hit overall but it coming back. My goal is to do at least a sprint this year by August. Next year focus on longer races. I wasn't in peak shape when diagnosed but not too bad either. I had expected to do an Olympic length race last year which would've been my longest to date.
Hope all is going well for all the other cancer warriors.
2014-03-31 7:40 PM
in reply to: scottinPA

User image

Hi Scott,

Sorry to hear about your cancer. While at the treatment center, I knew an older gentleman who had something similar. It's amazing that you are comming back from that treatment with thoughts of another tri in the future.

I was told just today that the treatment worked and I'm cancer free... that's the good news. I've gained considerable weight - something I was highly aware might happen at the beginning of treatment, but not mentally strong enough to control and I watched my eating habits go downhill. I still get fatigued easily and even though the doctor cleared me for exercise, I know I have to take it easy or I'll end up injured. Right now, I'll consider it a success if I can run a 5k by fall. Nothing but slow base milage in my near future.

Like Scott said, Hope all the other cancer warriors are doing well. Never give up!!!

John
2014-03-31 10:34 PM
in reply to: jpjosey61

User image

Pro

My brother just got his colostomy reversed after a year long battle with colon cancer.  He's having a hard time keeping a positive attitude and moving forward.  I just came across this thread and linked it to him immediately.  You folks are kicking arse!!  I know it's not your intention to be inspiring.....but your stories are just that.  I wish you all the best and many years of an active lifestyle!  Keep fighting!

Thanks!

2014-04-14 7:23 AM
in reply to: jhoffman2

User image

Regular
Not to hijack the thread but had a CT scan on Friday. Doc actually came in on Saturday to get the results and text to my wife and I. Still cancer free! Now to kick this cold that's had a grip on me for two weeks.
2014-04-15 1:33 PM
in reply to: scottinPA

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Woooot woooot congratulations!

I know the feeling of these test results and it's awesome when it's great news :-)

Alicia
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prostate Cancer Rss Feed