General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hyannis Sprint I Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-07 5:19 PM

Encinitas, CA
Subject: Hyannis Sprint I Triathlon : Official Thread
Hello fellow BTers. This will be my first time in Hyannis and I was wondering if anyone has done the race before and could share some facts about the course - flat, rolling, crowded, contrived...
I saw the "description' on the website but I thought fellow athletes would be a better and more detailed choice.

Many thanks and happy training.

2012-02-08 9:54 AM
in reply to: #4034699

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
Subject: RE: Hyannis Sprint I Triathlon : Official Thread

Its a fun event.  Crowded but well run.
Transition area is set up by number range, so you still have to fight for space, but only with a small number of people (and yes, it still gets congested as everyone wants the end and feels entitled to it when they show up late)

The swim is an ocean swim, parralell to the shore, so you have to run 1/2 the distance back, on the sand to get to T1.  get a wetsuit if you dont have one

The bike is rolly, no steep hills though, but a couple bottle necks due to traffic lights, intersections and such that can be a pain if youre a strong climber and get behind someone who isnt.  But agian, the hills arent that long.  For my tastes, the bike is too short.  Only 10 miles.  But its very scenic along the coast and through the centerville CC.  I do think this course is more 'technical' as you have to be 'on your game/bike handling skills' as there are a lot of bikes on the course and cape cod roads/traffic to deal with.  One section near the center of centerville, I had to ride between two cars as there wasnt a shoulder, the road was narrow w/ oncoming traffic so the cars in my lane couldnt give me room to pass.  There's also a sharp 90 degree turn near the end that bottle necks.

The run is a bit longer, 3.7 miles, but I had my PR on the course so I cant complain.  It is nice that you finish on a downhill to flat, on the beach by the ocean.

Like I said, its crowded, almost 1,000 people, but it fun and Im looking forward to doing it again this spring

Edited by ratherbesnowboarding 2012-02-08 10:03 AM
2012-02-08 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4035689

Encinitas, CA
Chris,
Thank you for the detailed description. It will help to know what to expect. Like you, I enjoy longer bike legs but I think 10 miles will give me all I can handle 6 days after Mooseman.
It sounds like traffic is still going during the race? From what I remember the roads are not that wide and MA drivers...well they're known across the country. How do they insure athlete safety?

Happy training.

Regards,
Marco
2012-02-08 8:49 PM

I have done the Hyannis sprint a couple times and I agree with the above post. It is crowded and for that reason, depending on your age group, there may be a long wait before your swim wave goes off.

Transition does get crowded - I was in a later wave last year and my bike had gotten knocked off the rack and it took me a while to find it after the swim! You are also forced to ride into a single file, coned off area near the end of the bike course.  I guess that can be a little frustrating if you are concerned about shaving a few seconds off your time.

Overall not a bad race - I think it is great for a first triathlon and fun to do once.  But after that I think it is worth trying some of the other triathlons that are offered now that have a smaller field size and maybe more convenient in terms of travel.

2012-02-10 4:27 PM

User image

New user

This is a fun course.  The swim is horseshoe shaped and when you get out of the water, you are right at the entrance to to the transition.....that is unless the seas are rough, then you swim parallel to the beach and have to run back to T1.  If you a good swimmer, no need for wetsuit, I've found the water to be warm (save time in in T1).

Like others have said, around mile 9 you climb a hill that is coned off and this is a no passing zone.  You can see the cones from a little distance so you can sprint to get in front somebody if you need to.

The run is a flat 3.5 mile lolly pop course.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hyannis Sprint I Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed