General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Are Marathon Fees Getting Out of Hand??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-02-10 11:09 AM
in reply to: #4039542

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Are Marathon Fees Getting Out of Hand???
bgraboski - 2012-02-10 6:53 AM

"Getting out of hand" is relative.  NYC is still a lottery (and still only 1:3 odd of getting in) so no, the demand is greater than supply so they can charge what they want until demand lessens.  They aren't just pocketing the extra money, they use (at least some of it) to improve the race every year to make it bigger and better. 

I paid $125 this year to enter Big Sur and I didn't blink an eye because I know they put on a great race on an awesome course.  But I also think places like the Kiawah Marathon are way over priced ($90 - $100 for a boring 2 loop course on an island with one way in which requires a very minimal amount of police to control traffic).  But even they get close to 1000 for the full and 2500 for the half because it has a total of about 6ft of elevation change.

Exensive, yes.  Out of control...not yet. 

There are always alternatives to the high priced races.  Once those disappear, they I can say prices are out of control.  But until then, you can control the price you pay to run 26.2.

I paid $100 for a marathon in Minnesota with only 12 people in it. And the race was on a MUT, so there didn't need to be traffic control, etc. That was a rip off for sure!

2012-02-10 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4039428

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Yes marathon fees are getting out of hand.  However, I did pay the $255 to run NYCM this year and it will be my only time running this race.  When I ran my first marathon six years ago I paid $75 for the Denver Marathon, this year I paid $125 for the Colorado Marathon (which was $70 three years ago) and $255 for NYCM.  

Like any other product marathon pricing is based upon supply and demand, the Colorado Marathon which is run on May 5th is Sold Out and NYCM gets over 250,000 people in the lottery to run their race.  Last year I read about people complaining about the $1000 entry fee for IMNY but was not surprised that it sold out within a few days.

Edited by rick4657 2012-02-10 11:17 AM
2012-02-10 11:38 AM

User image

Veteran
, New York
I agree that they're getting ridiculously out of hand.  And I think it can be hard to compare them to the price of triathlons, I think more logistics go into organizing a triathlon versus a straight run. I understand the supply and demand and many fill up fast, but I also really like the idea of them being reasonable price for many people to do.  Part of the reason that I originally got into triathlons was because there were local sprint triathlons in Lake Placid every week that cost $10.  I think as many people having the chance to race is better than only the ones that can afford to pay the higher prices.  
2012-02-10 11:49 AM
in reply to: #4040231

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I think that price for NYC makes perfect sense.   How expensive must it be to close the streets in a MAJOR urban city for 6, 7 or more hours.  The police presence must be insane, the logistics with busses, etc, it's a huge ordeal.   And by the way, this year they estimate the ratio for the lottery a 1:10.  The demand is still on the rise.

I have a harder time swallowing $100+ for a smaller race, but I suppose with less entrants the costs are shared accordingly.

There's a company in the Twin Cities that puts on huge running races and the "world's largest duathlon."  They are very expensive, but they also give incredible stuff like very nice fleece embroidered jackets, bike jerseys, bento boxes, beer tickets for after the race, race parties, and super fancy medals.  These races sell out. 

Yep, supply and demand.

2012-02-10 12:13 PM

User image

Veteran
CT
screw supply and demand.  that price is too much.
2012-02-10 12:30 PM
in reply to: #4039445

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
I just did IMAZ this past november. It was my first Ironman and only full distance.  Logistically they nailed every aspect of it. I loved the race. However the one thing I couldn't put a dollar value on was what you said and that was the fan support.  From 5:00am when I arrived on scene until I finished at 9:20pm, it was the most incredible atmosphere that I could imagine.  I just don't imagine a non-branded race having that many people out there supporting the athletes for that long a period of time.  To me, going forward, it's worth the extra money if that's what is required to generate that kind of fan support.

2012-02-10 12:32 PM

User image

Regular
Westfield, IN

Yes they are. It is ridiculous to charge that much money.

The cost it what's keeping me away from doing an IM.

I signed up for my first HIM for $225 and I think that is absurd.

2012-02-10 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4039445

User image

Roswell, GA.
Tony, and we know you are all about putting on a good show for the "fans"!
2012-02-10 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4040172

User image

Roswell, GA.
NYC Ironman sold out in 11 MINUTES at $895 a pop.
2012-02-10 12:44 PM

User image

Roswell, GA.

mr2tony - 2012-02-10 2:26 AM New York Marathon is now $255 for Americans and $347 for foreigners. Ouch! http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-10/marathoners-sprint-to-race... in  the interest of full disclosure, I am the writer of this article.

I will be running Boston in April and did IMFL in Nov. (10:27:57, in case anybody cares...)  

Prices are going through the roof, but until the demand subsides, they will remain high. The question is, does that make it right?

Edited by mikebuteau 2012-02-10 12:47 PM
2012-02-10 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4040458

User image

Master
Denison Texas
mikebuteau - 2012-02-10 12:44 PM

mr2tony - 2012-02-10 2:26 AM New York Marathon is now $255 for Americans and $347 for foreigners. Ouch! http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-10/marathoners-sprint-to-race... in  the interest of full disclosure, I am the writer of this article.

I will be running Boston in April and did IMFL in Nov. (10:27:57, in case anybody cares...)  

Prices are going through the roof, but until the demand subsides, they will remain high. The question is, does that make it right?

Yes

2012-02-10 12:49 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

How about this for the Antarctic Ice Marathon:

The price for 2012 is EUR €9,900

(it includes return flights from Punta Arenas to Antarctica; accommodation and meals in Antarctica; entry to the marathon and / or ultramarathon; t-shirts, medals, and photos of each competitor in action.)

2012-02-10 1:17 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
mikebuteau - 2012-02-10 1:44 PM

Is it right for Apple to charge a premium for its products?  For Tiffany to charge one for theirs?  For Coke to charge one?  Why not WTC?  Or the NYRR? Or...

The question, in my mind, is really are the prices getting to a point that they begin to 'damage' the product/brand?  That's the one that both the buyer and seller care about (pricing is a two-sided process).  And it's a tougher one to answer.  But just from a smattering of the replies on this thread (and many others), my guess is not yet.

2012-02-10 1:29 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

dp

Edited by JohnnyKay 2012-02-10 1:29 PM
2012-02-10 1:32 PM

User image

Honolulu Marathon is one of the top 5 marathons in the world as far as participants.  I signed up for this years race for $26.20.  It was a special promotion open to Hawaii residents to celebrate their 40th anniversary.  It was a limited time offer...but most of their money is made from Japanese tourists...who pay almost $200 for entry.

2012-02-10 4:37 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I used to say yes. Then I started thinking, man I should just RD my own race, then I thought of all the stuff I would have to do and thought, maybe they aren't over priced.

2012-02-10 9:45 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

I'm not sure that it's simply a matter of setting a price that the market will bear, adding whatever hefty markup people will tolerate.

It's more that races are adding more and more costly elements to their races - largely covered by entry fees - because they have found that for a marathon the customers choose more based on the perceived 'quality' of the experience than on the price of entering. Very few people do more than one or two marathons a year, and most do much less than that, so people want something memorable. They seem willing to pay for the costly trappings that go with that. It's exactly the opposite of airline pricing. In addition to swag, fancy shirts, pre/post-race events, etc. etc., some events want to stand out for their competitive fields and fast winning times (if a Kenyan runs a 2:04 on the course, you'll likely judge it as a good choice for your BQ race). Appearance fees for elites suck up a lot of money. And so it goes on. NYC's big fee increase this year was mostly due to policing, but in general the creep of prices is due to the more and more elaborate experiences that folks look out for.

This is similar to the ongoing escalation in college costs. Colleges aren't reaping big profits, and there's certainly not big inflation in faculty salaries or student aid. But there has been an arms war in terms of what services colleges are expected to offer (tutoring, pastoral and career support, gleaming sports facilities, smaller classes, etc.). People only go to college once, and similar to marathon RDs the market has learned that for most of their customers they have to compete on services/features/prestige rather on price.

2012-02-11 10:21 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
As me ol' pappy used to say ...

Value is perceived.

And Buteau, welcome to BT. (Me ol' pappy didnt say that.)
2012-02-12 10:27 PM
in reply to: #4041541

User image

Master
Central Indiana
colinphillips - 2012-02-10 10:45 PM

I'm not sure that it's simply a matter of setting a price that the market will bear, adding whatever hefty markup people will tolerate.

It's more that races are adding more and more costly elements to their races - largely covered by entry fees - because they have found that for a marathon the customers choose more based on the perceived 'quality' of the experience than on the price of entering. Very few people do more than one or two marathons a year, and most do much less than that, so people want something memorable. They seem willing to pay for the costly trappings that go with that. It's exactly the opposite of airline pricing. In addition to swag, fancy shirts, pre/post-race events, etc. etc., some events want to stand out for their competitive fields and fast winning times (if a Kenyan runs a 2:04 on the course, you'll likely judge it as a good choice for your BQ race). Appearance fees for elites suck up a lot of money. And so it goes on. NYC's big fee increase this year was mostly due to policing, but in general the creep of prices is due to the more and more elaborate experiences that folks look out for.

This is similar to the ongoing escalation in college costs. Colleges aren't reaping big profits, and there's certainly not big inflation in faculty salaries or student aid. But there has been an arms war in terms of what services colleges are expected to offer (tutoring, pastoral and career support, gleaming sports facilities, smaller classes, etc.). People only go to college once, and similar to marathon RDs the market has learned that for most of their customers they have to compete on services/features/prestige rather on price.

Many, many in "academics" now earn more than their counterparts in private industry, inc upper level college administrators and mid-upper level professors.  Unjustified hyperinflation of college costs is one of the very few areas where I happen to agree with Obama.  (And I my college-paying days are long behind me).

That said, after seeing these other entry fees I am even more happy paying $65 for my local marathons (2-5k entrants, decent on course aid, tech T-shirts, & decent medal). 

2012-02-12 10:48 PM
in reply to: #4043776

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Oldteen - 2012-02-12 11:27 PM
colinphillips - 2012-02-10 10:45 PM

Many, many in "academics" now earn more than their counterparts in private industry, inc upper level college administrators and mid-upper level professors.  Unjustified hyperinflation of college costs is one of the very few areas where I happen to agree with Obama.  (And I my college-paying days are long behind me).

That said, after seeing these other entry fees I am even more happy paying $65 for my local marathons (2-5k entrants, decent on course aid, tech T-shirts, & decent medal). 

You have got to be kidding me.  A few years ago, I earned in one summer as a software engineer 3 times what I was earning as a full professor.  I went back to being a professor because it's what I love.  My Dad just retired from being a professor of pharmacy and in the past 10 months has earned, as a consultant, 5 times what he earned in his last year at his university as distinguished professor and department chair.  This might sound like N=2 but in fact every single professor I know who switched to private industry is earning much much more than what he or she earned as an academic.  And switching to private industry is becoming more and more common -- it's understandably difficult to stay in education when you see your industrial and corporate colleagues earning 2 or 3 times your salary for the same amount of work.

And if you think that there has been a recent inflation in college professor salaries, you are very much out of touch with reality.

I'm sorry, but as much as I would agree that there is a sad and pathetic cadre of slackers in higher education (I am the unwilling 'boss' of some of them), they are not profiting much from it.

2012-02-13 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
mikebuteau - 2012-02-10 12:44 PM

Now let's be fair Mike.  In the interest of complete, full disclosure you ought to let everyone know you like to goon it up on the ice!  Just kidding, nice to see you here, didn't know you lurked around.

Andy

edit:  what's wrong with the quote function, I can't get what I said out of the quote!

Edited by Climbinggonzo 2012-02-13 10:01 AM

2012-02-13 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4039942

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Sous - 2012-02-10 9:52 AM
JohnnyKay - 2012-02-10 10:20 AM

Sous - 2012-02-10 9:15 AM NYC is a complete and utter joke in their whole lottery system.  I hate the fact that they charge you just for the privilege of entering the lottery, and to top it off if you do get picked the lottery fee isn't even deducted from the entry fee.  By my count they are making something like a million dollars every year just to have some $1000 software log and pick names.

How does that Kona lottery work again?

The market has determined that these fees are not overpriced yet.  It is very hard to increase supply fast enough to reach demand as long as the demand is sensitive to venue (it's likely near-impossible to get a second NYC or Boston marathon added to the calendar).  There could be a virtual endless supply of marathons or IMs.  But, to date, demand has remain heavily focused on a limited number of those options for a variety of reasons.  My guess is they still have a good bit of pricing flexibility before they damage their economics.  And most of them will likely notice and respond to a change in demand, if necessary.

Which is exactly why I'm not entering the Kona lottery.  Plenty of other high quality, well run races out there at half or less the price.  If I somehow qualify for Kona (never happen) then maybe I'll do it... otherwise not gonna happen.

I think that you forgot the sarc font.  That is like saying that you wouldn't play at the Masters because there are plenty of other, quality, well run tournaments at half the price.  It is Kona.  Hallowed ground.

2012-02-14 8:58 AM
in reply to: #4045950

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
pga_mike - 2012-02-13 10:03 PM
Sous - 2012-02-10 9:52 AM
JohnnyKay - 2012-02-10 10:20 AM

Sous - 2012-02-10 9:15 AM NYC is a complete and utter joke in their whole lottery system.  I hate the fact that they charge you just for the privilege of entering the lottery, and to top it off if you do get picked the lottery fee isn't even deducted from the entry fee.  By my count they are making something like a million dollars every year just to have some $1000 software log and pick names.

How does that Kona lottery work again?

The market has determined that these fees are not overpriced yet.  It is very hard to increase supply fast enough to reach demand as long as the demand is sensitive to venue (it's likely near-impossible to get a second NYC or Boston marathon added to the calendar).  There could be a virtual endless supply of marathons or IMs.  But, to date, demand has remain heavily focused on a limited number of those options for a variety of reasons.  My guess is they still have a good bit of pricing flexibility before they damage their economics.  And most of them will likely notice and respond to a change in demand, if necessary.

Which is exactly why I'm not entering the Kona lottery.  Plenty of other high quality, well run races out there at half or less the price.  If I somehow qualify for Kona (never happen) then maybe I'll do it... otherwise not gonna happen.

I think that you forgot the sarc font.  That is like saying that you wouldn't play at the Masters because there are plenty of other, quality, well run tournaments at half the price.  It is Kona.  Hallowed ground.

That's your personal 'value'.  What he said is his personal 'value' (I assume).

Assuming I could get on at all, if someone said I could play Augusta for "50%-off", I would decline.  Not worth it to me.  I don't care if other golfers find it "hallowed ground" and would call me crazy for passing up the opportunity.  OTOH, I would pay to race at Kona.  Though I will never enter the lottery to do it--not worth it to me.

2012-02-14 9:13 AM
in reply to: #4045950

User image

Runner
As Johnny said, "hallowed ground" is in the eye of the beholder.

I have never run the Boston Marathon. I have zero interest in running Boston. Or New York, or Chicago, or any other host of marathons that other people feel are important. I don't see those races as being interesting or enjoyable. If I were given a free slot to those races, I would probably still decline.

In other words, it's not just cost that drives a decision to attend a race, although it can definitely be a strong influencing factor one way or the other. I have done races that were cheap, partly because they were so cheap, but cost was not the only influencing factor (they were also extremely convenient, within walking distance of my dwelling).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Are Marathon Fees Getting Out of Hand??? Rss Feed  

of 2