General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drinker thread follow up...benders? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-02-14 4:56 AM
in reply to: #4046060

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: Drinker thread follow up...benders?
JG_GreenCoast - 2012-02-13 10:50 PM
I feel like a completely unhealthy person.  After a really bad 4 days, everything just hurts...like the body is withering away.

Sounds like you KNOW what you want to do and have to do to be a competitive triathlete so make it happen.

2012-02-14 6:45 AM
in reply to: #4043679

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nobody at Kenyon partied harder than off-season swimmers, and the men and women won 8 Div III titles during the time I was there. Funny enough, they called it wet season.
2012-02-14 7:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I am much more serious about my career and training than I am about the benefit i get out of a bender.  Truth is, I still can't realize what I get out of it...it just happens.  Fun while it lasts, pretty terrible when it ends.  

I'm not passing judgement or anything like that.  I partied as hard as anyone when I was in college.  But, if you don't get anything out of it and feel like crap afterward, I would ask myself "why"?  I think you already know the answer or you wouldn't have asked the question or made the statement above. 

2012-02-14 7:15 AM
in reply to: #4046244

User image

Champion
Chicago
bhc - 2012-02-14 7:13 AM

I am much more serious about my career and training than I am about the benefit i get out of a bender.  Truth is, I still can't realize what I get out of it...it just happens.  Fun while it lasts, pretty terrible when it ends.  

I'm not passing judgement or anything like that.  I partied as hard as anyone when I was in college.  But, if you don't get anything out of it and feel like crap afterward, I would ask myself "why"?  I think you already know the answer or you wouldn't have asked the question or made the statement above. 

Because it's ``fun while it lasts.''

Same reason you do a lot of things, right? Instant short-term gratification. Same could be said for triathlons. Except they're usually healthier than a three-day bender. Usually!
2012-02-14 7:33 AM

User image

Pro

Threads like this actually make me happy I finished college several decades ago

Drinking now is entirely social and not a competitive sport!

2012-02-14 7:36 AM
in reply to: #4044259

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Goosedog - 2012-02-13 10:24 AM
TX_TRIron - 2012-02-13 10:16 AM

I'm 25 . . . . I speak from experience . . . .

Good god I'm getting old.

^^^

2012-02-14 8:01 AM

Veteran

I have several drinks every Friday and Saturday night. I very rarely drink to get 'wasted' anymore (I did regularly when I was in my 20's), but I still like a few beers when relaxing with family/friends at the weekend.

I still train on Saturdays and Sundays, but I accept that the quality of my training probably could be better if I didn't drink on Friday and Saturday nights. But I don't do triathlon professionally; I do it because I enjoy it. If my times are a few minutes slower as a result of my drinking then so be it.

I could dedicate myself to triathlon, and give up drinking, eat only healthy food, always get to bed early etc etc. But I enjoy my social life outside of triathlon too much.  

2012-02-14 8:06 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Have fun? Don't worry? What the hell is wrong with you people? Binge drinking is a sign of substance abuse. Do worry.
2012-02-14 8:09 AM
in reply to: #4046202

User image

Pro

mrheathen - 2012-02-14 7:45 AM Nobody at Kenyon partied harder than off-season swimmers, and the men and women won 8 Div III titles during the time I was there. Funny enough, they called it wet season.

My Div III swim team had t-shirts made that said "Aquaholics Anonymous" on the front, and "A Drinking Team With a Swimming Problem" on the back. We partied a lot.

2012-02-14 8:13 AM
in reply to: #4046349

User image

NC

mrbbrad - 2012-02-14 9:06 AM Have fun? Don't worry? What the hell is wrong with you people? Binge drinking is a sign of substance abuse. Do worry.

This is from the CDC web site: 

The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and AlcoholismExternal Web Site Icon defines binge drinking as a pattern of drinking that brings a person’s blood alcohol concentration (BAC) to 0.08 grams percent or above. This typically happens when men consume 5 or more drinks, and when women consume 4 or more drinks, in about 2 hours.1

2012-02-14 8:24 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
JG_GreenCoast - 2012-02-12 8:53 PM

Recently I saw a thread on here asking about how many triathletes on here are drinkers.  I was excited to see this thread because I'm one myself and have wondered.  Most of the responses were like "I have one beer after rides all the time" or "I love a glass of wine at night"!  

My problem isn't so much that...it's the benders that kill me.  I sometimes enjoy the beer after a ride, but rarely when i get home from long day at work then a long workout do i drink alcohol.  I usually go a week in a row without touching or wanting to drink it.  95% of my weekly volume comes in one night, and I have a periodic 3 day bender, with lots of alcohol, other things, and almost no sleep.  I'm 23 so feel like i can maybe get away with it compared to y'all with families/kids, but i do have a full time job that i am very lucky to have.

I would say this bender hapens every couple months for me but given that it's Mardi Gras in New Orleans i just had a rough one the last three days.  I'm determined to have this stop happening but it's tough. I am in ironman training right now and hope to put down a good time so I at least have to really limit it.   

My questions are...what kind of damage does the periodic bender do?  How much worse than regular habitual drinking, since I'm not a regular drinker?

how many of you guys have a bender every now and then?

I don't wake up with tigers in my hotel room, but it gets close.

I didn't read all the responses... so forgive me if I repeat something.

I don't do benders. The only time I did a bender was when I went to Mardi Gras MANY years ago. I just don't have an addictive personality... meaning: I like to feel sober at some point. I don't like being drunk for THAT long.

You are young, so this probably isn't a problem... just a being young thing... but you really should analyze if these benders affect your life negatively in ways they shouldn't be. Sure, you get less sleep. I don't mean that. I mean bigger stuff. While I am not saying you are an alcoholic, some people who are alcoholics, drink like you do. Being an alcoholic doesn't mean you are drunk 24/7. You could be fine for days/weeks... and then BAM you go nuts and can't stop drinking for X days. That's an alcoholic too.

Also, I'm not sure how you can IM train AND go on these benders. Are you training drunk? Do you go out for a 50 mile bike ride, half asleep and hung over? I guess so? That or you aren't that far along in your IM training. If you were training 10-15 hours a week, you probably couldn't fit the benders in with the training.

Then again, maybe because you are 23 you can pull it all off?

2012-02-14 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Man, this thread brings me back. I am 41 now but by age 22 I was blackout drinking regularly.And the worst part was that I wanted to stop, but I couldn't. I tried over and over again. But I couldnt stay stopped and couldn't have 1 or 2 like normal people.I had to get help and quit all together.Not suggesting that this is the op's situation. Just putting it out there.I can't imagine 140.6 training with a hangover!
2012-02-14 8:26 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Thanks all.  I think the problem for me lies in the recovery from it rather than the bender itself.  I am much more serious about my career and training than I am about the benefit i get out of a bender.  Truth is, I still can't realize what I get out of it...it just happens.  Fun while it lasts, pretty terrible when it ends.  

I think the biggest harm is that you can't just "snap" back in to it like you could if you skipped a workout because you were tired.  It is very hard to get back to that level.  I am pretty sure this is far worse than regular drinking.  You can put down a decent hangover workout...tried to run an 8 min field test today, different story.   I feel like a completely unhealthy person.  After a really bad 4 days, everything just hurts...like the body is withering away.  Really makes you wonder how some people live this way (drinking, terrible food, no exercise) 24/7/365.

I guess it's all relative in thinking about what's important to you.  Yes, being young it's easier, but things like IM are pretty special too.   An order of priorities, but I really do wonder how many great triathletes will have nights/weekends/weeks like this.  Think about other sports...the cases do exist for sure.  I think my take-away is that if I'm going to do this, which i probably will, I ought to keep it out of tri season.

I would really encourage you to test yourself. See if you can go without alcohol for a month... just see how you handle it. You really do need to sit down and ask yourself if you have a problem with alcohol. I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom... but if you can go a month without it, then you obviously don't have a problem. And what's a month of your life?

2012-02-14 8:33 AM

User image

Pro
JG_GreenCoast - 2012-02-12 9:53 PM

Recently I saw a thread on here asking about how many triathletes on here are drinkers.  I was excited to see this thread because I'm one myself and have wondered.  Most of the responses were like "I have one beer after rides all the time" or "I love a glass of wine at night"!  

My problem isn't so much that...it's the benders that kill me.  I sometimes enjoy the beer after a ride, but rarely when i get home from long day at work then a long workout do i drink alcohol.  I usually go a week in a row without touching or wanting to drink it.  95% of my weekly volume comes in one night, and I have a periodic 3 day bender, with lots of alcohol, other things, and almost no sleep.  I'm 23 so feel like i can maybe get away with it compared to y'all with families/kids, but i do have a full time job that i am very lucky to have.

I would say this bender hapens every couple months for me but given that it's Mardi Gras in New Orleans i just had a rough one the last three days.  I'm determined to have this stop happening but it's tough. I am in ironman training right now and hope to put down a good time so I at least have to really limit it.   

My questions are...what kind of damage does the periodic bender do?  How much worse than regular habitual drinking, since I'm not a regular drinker?

how many of you guys have a bender every now and then?

I don't wake up with tigers in my hotel room, but it gets close.

Other things? Now that would worry me. If you're mixing 'other things' in with alcohol you should stop and rethink what you are doing, immediately. Unless I am misinterpreting this, but somehow I don't think I am.

2012-02-14 8:45 AM
in reply to: #4046391

User image

Elite
KSH - 2012-02-14 7:26 AM

Thanks all.  I think the problem for me lies in the recovery from it rather than the bender itself.  I am much more serious about my career and training than I am about the benefit i get out of a bender.  Truth is, I still can't realize what I get out of it...it just happens.  Fun while it lasts, pretty terrible when it ends.  

I think the biggest harm is that you can't just "snap" back in to it like you could if you skipped a workout because you were tired.  It is very hard to get back to that level.  I am pretty sure this is far worse than regular drinking.  You can put down a decent hangover workout...tried to run an 8 min field test today, different story.   I feel like a completely unhealthy person.  After a really bad 4 days, everything just hurts...like the body is withering away.  Really makes you wonder how some people live this way (drinking, terrible food, no exercise) 24/7/365.

I guess it's all relative in thinking about what's important to you.  Yes, being young it's easier, but things like IM are pretty special too.   An order of priorities, but I really do wonder how many great triathletes will have nights/weekends/weeks like this.  Think about other sports...the cases do exist for sure.  I think my take-away is that if I'm going to do this, which i probably will, I ought to keep it out of tri season.

I would really encourage you to test yourself. See if you can go without alcohol for a month... just see how you handle it. You really do need to sit down and ask yourself if you have a problem with alcohol. I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom... but if you can go a month without it, then you obviously don't have a problem. And what's a month of your life?

That accomplishes nothing. I could pass any "test" I wanted and it only reinforced what I wanted it to... I didn't have a problem. Either it get's in the way of life or it doesn't. If you are willing to sacrifice what you want in life to get off, regardless how that is defined... then there is a problem.

To the OP, sounds like you have what you want figured out. Nothing wrong with being silly when silly is still fun and responsibilities are relatively low... that will change. Have fun... you won't need a forum to tell you when things are not going according to plan. If not, change them. If you can't, plenty of folks that can help with that. Good luck on your IM training.

2012-02-14 8:54 AM
in reply to: #4046429

User image

Davenport, IA
powerman - 2012-02-14 8:45 AM

That accomplishes nothing. I could pass any "test" I wanted and it only reinforced what I wanted it to... I didn't have a problem. Either it get's in the way of life or it doesn't. If you are willing to sacrifice what you want in life to get off, regardless how that is defined... then there is a problem.

To the OP, sounds like you have what you want figured out. Nothing wrong with being silly when silly is still fun and responsibilities are relatively low... that will change. Have fun... you won't need a forum to tell you when things are not going according to plan. If not, change them. If you can't, plenty of folks that can help with that. Good luck on your IM training.

I have to agree.  I've seen this both in myself, and in other people.  I could give up drinking for a month easily, and when I went back it would be all too easy to hit it just "a little" too hard.  But then it wouldn't be a problem, because I can give it up if I want to.

2012-02-14 9:36 AM
in reply to: #4046429

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

If someone is truly an alcoholic, they more than likely won't be able to make it a month without alcohol.

Are you an alcoholic? Have you done this test and passed it... and yet, you are still an alcoholic, even though you can quit?

I'm not an alcoholic. My Dad was. Is again. Or maybe he's off again. Who knows.

Either you have an addictive personality... or you don't. Do you have an addictive personality? If so, then your insight into the "test" is much more perceptive than mine.

2012-02-14 10:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
W. Michigan

Enjoy it while you can.  I'm 34, partied a lot in college, but have tapered down over the years.  Occasionally I'll still go on a bender, and find that I can drink as much as I used to, but pay for it MUCH longer that when I was in my early/mid 20's.  The "amount of drunken fun vs. length & intensity of hangover" equation has changed for me.

And remember, once a wife and/or kids come into the picture, it's frowned upon to spend the following day on the couch recovering...

2012-02-14 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4046567

User image

Elite
KSH - 2012-02-14 8:36 AM

If someone is truly an alcoholic, they more than likely won't be able to make it a month without alcohol. Are you an alcoholic? Have you done this test and passed it... and yet, you are still an alcoholic, even though you can quit? I'm not an alcoholic. My Dad was. Is again. Or maybe he's off again. Who knows. Either you have an addictive personality... or you don't. Do you have an addictive personality? If so, then your insight into the "test" is much more perceptive than mine.

I easily went more than a month back in the day... and binge drinkers are the worst... plenty can go 6 months, but when it's on... watch out.

All I know is virgins do not take pregnancy tests. If you need to "take a test" to find out if you have a problem... you already know you do.

What I also know is that there are millions of people that can use mood and mind altering substances recreationally and responsibly. I'm not one of those. I don't automatically assume everyone is like me... statistics say most are not. More than likely the OP is not... but only he knows the answer to that.

2012-02-14 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4046667

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
powerman - 2012-02-14 10:20 AM

All I know is virgins do not take pregnancy tests. If you need to "take a test" to find out if you have a problem... you already know you do.

^^^This is awesome.
2012-02-14 9:31 PM

Expert

Thanks for all the replies...have been traveling for work and not checking.  I think most of y'all who have been there understand why until something in life really makes you stop, you keep doing this kind of stuff.   It's particularly bad where I live, because binge drinking and drugs is such a big part of many peoples identity.  The triathletes here are a comparatively very healthy bunch but even then they get wasted, many proudly say that this is why they train so hard.  The question "why" really comes back full circle for me...working 60+ hrs a week and training i fall into a social slump somewhat where i lose my sense of connection to everything else besides those two things.  Also, I won't lie and say that it's partly about getting laid.  Mostly it's how my life is set up after college and that I have friends who I care about who do these things too that i enjoy being around.  Compared to the average level of toxins that were in my body at a given time three years ago, i feel like a saint still.

If I am really busy at work and in training i go for long periods of time without a single drink and don't even notice.  I think it's more growing up than a problem per se.  I often have trained hung over / drunk in the ~15 hours per week ballpark, the training and sleep suffer.  And no, Brian, you're not really misinterpreting it but that's more rare. 

What's really weird and I think ultimately why I allow myself (and justify after) one of these every so often is because i have my life together a lot more than my peer group and most people my age in this city. People here start drinking here when they are like 12, and there are very few independent people in their early 20s with good jobs, in shape, etc.  It's a terrible mentality and I think really needs to stop.  I was wondering how many serious triathletes really do this, it seems like none.  Thanks for the great replies and hopefully I can start phasing in some better things to do at night.  

2012-02-14 9:41 PM

Champion
No excuses!
I am 36 and have to admit I love a good bender every so often, whether it be a boys weekend, a concert weekend, or a Vegas trip, I always find it a  change of pace from my norm. I usually am a jack-azz too and try to get some buddies to go for a drunken run or some sort of "training" while on a bender.
2012-02-14 10:01 PM
in reply to: #4046631

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio
madcap95 - 2012-02-14 11:04 AM

Enjoy it while you can.  I'm 34, partied a lot in college, but have tapered down over the years.  Occasionally I'll still go on a bender, and find that I can drink as much as I used to, but pay for it MUCH longer that when I was in my early/mid 20's.  The "amount of drunken fun vs. length & intensity of hangover" equation has changed for me.

And remember, once a wife and/or kids come into the picture, it's frowned upon to spend the following day on the couch recovering...

Unless someone is watching the kids and your wife is with you.JG, I wonder if we crossed paths this weekend at mardi Gras. Had a mini bender friday/Saturday down there as well. I'm 34 and don't practice the art of bending but maybe once a year now. Have fun occasionally, but don't let it interfere with the things that matter.
2012-02-14 10:04 PM
in reply to: #4048094

User image

Elite
Utah
JG_GreenCoast - 2012-02-14 8:31 PM

What's really weird and I think ultimately why I allow myself (and justify after) one of these every so often is because i have my life together a lot more than my peer group and most people my age in this city. People here start drinking here when they are like 12, and there are very few independent people in their early 20s with good jobs, in shape, etc.  It's a terrible mentality and I think really needs to stop.  I was wondering how many serious triathletes really do this, it seems like none.  Thanks for the great replies and hopefully I can start phasing in some better things to do at night.  

Hey, as a native I resent that... I didn't have my first drink until I was 14 or 15
Yes, it is a SAD problem down there.  What's worse is that it's accepted  
It's sad that I still have friends and family that go on benders and they are grown up w/ kids. 

and for what it's worth... none of them could run a mile if they had to.

So glad that I don't have to deal with that any longer.

Good Luck!

2012-02-14 10:32 PM

User image

Elite

You sound more like you are just growing up. At times we reevaluate what we are doing. Priorities shift. We change. You seem to be asking the right questions. Seriously, have fun. If you don't want to sacrifice three days and a whole week recovering... you are allowed to go home and call it a night. If you find some time you can't change even though you want to... well then it's time for different questions.

Although... I have done a lot of stupid stuff chasing after the opposite sex so you are on your own there. I got no answer for that. Laughing

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drinker thread follow up...benders? Rss Feed  

of 3