Red Rock Co.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 18m 37s
Overall Rank = 28/1796
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/26
Pre-race routine:

Jamie and I were super excited for this race as we were the defending couples champions from last year. The race format is the women start 3min before the men. Then I have to catch Jamie and finish with her. Jamie was actually really anxious about the race as she really wanted to be the first couple again. There was also some inter-team rivalry/competition between my coach Nick and his wife Rachel and us. Jamie really wanted to beat Rachel. I was looking forward to the post race party!
Event warmup:

We got down to Tempe Beach Park about 30min before the start. There were a ton of people and a 60/40 women to men ratio. If you are single guy and living in the Valey and are not at this race you are an idiot! The course this year was the same as back in 2010 when we did this for the first time and included to good sized climbs up Curry Rd. and down to Lake Drive.
Run
  • 18m 37s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

The start was up on the Mill Ave. bridge and Jamie positioned herself right at the front. Rachel was right next to her. Love it, it's on! I couldn't find Nick but knew as soon as the men started he would be there with me. The women started and there we so many it took almost 2=min just to get them all over the line. I started at the front and took off in pursuit of my bride! Almost immediatley we ran smack into the back of the women. Our local pro Lewis Elliot was in the lead and Nick came right up alongside me. We had to swerve all over the place to not trample the gals in the back, it was chaos trying to pick a line! Nick jumped in front of me and I knew he would be going full bore. I was running as hard as I felt I needed to to catch Jamie, which still hurts like hell, I mean God forbid I don't catch her before the finish, I'll never live it down!

We climbed up the hill to Curry and the crowd thinned enough to run more or less straight. As we cam down towards the turn around, I could see Jamie and Rachel side by side! Nick was a good 20 feet in front of me climbing back up and I pushed the hill to try and get to Jamie as soon as I could, I was concerned he would catch the girls and then motivate Rachel to gap Jamie before I got there. As I truned and descended back on Lake Drive, I could see Jamie was ahead of Rachel and Nick cuaght Rach...and ran right by her! Uh, so maybe we aren't doing the same thing! I passed Rachel and caught Jamie just as we were passing by the beach. Now I could back off the throttle and run/encourage/yell at Jamie to go fast (she had asked me to pre-race)! We came into the finish hand in hand, the first couple to corss together. )
What would you do differently?:

It was a good race considering I did a big ride in the morning of 60 miles and over 4500 feet of climbing. I ran 2.34miles in 13:13, 5:39 pace and then caught Jamie to run and ran with her .79 miles, 6:55 pace. It turned out Nick wanted the competition to be couple combined time as opposed to finish together. And to make it worse, once we finished, I confirmed we were first couple but they had no award for that this year! WTF?! It's been that way for the past couple years and now nadda! Oh well, we still had a blast and made the goal, although it appears we were the only ones doing that race. Still, we won the party. :)
Post race

Last updated: 2012-02-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:37 | 03.11 miles | 05m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 0/1796
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-02-13 5:34 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: SkirtChaser 5k

2012-02-13 6:02 PM
in reply to: #4045640

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: SkirtChaser 5k
Dammit I should have been there!
2012-02-13 6:11 PM
in reply to: #4045684

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: SkirtChaser 5k
elliot85 - 2012-02-13 5:02 PM

Dammit I should have been there!

Seriously, dude. HUGE mistake. Jamie even asked if you were coming down.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SkirtChaser 5k Rss Feed