General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need cold/rain cycling advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-05-12 11:57 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: Need cold/rain cycling advice

I know about cornering and braking in wet conditions.  My question is about clothing. 

I spent all winter running outside and know how to dress for rain and snow and cold.  I'm still learning on the bike.  Last weekend I learned A LOT about dressing for cold (38 degrees) on the bike but what about rain?  Getting rained on doesn't bother me at all running, I actually like it cuz it keeps me cool.  Should I make a little more effort to stay dry on the bike or will I just be setting myself up to overheat if I wear a poncho or rain jacket?  It's supposed to be in the high thirties again when I ride at 5am tomorrow and I'm planning on around 20-30 miles, which is long for me.

2006-05-12 12:05 PM
in reply to: #422059

User image

Expert
Toronto
Subject: RE: Need cold/rain cycling advice
Here's a great thread on another message board that has some fantastic ideas of what to wear on rainy days...

http://www.bikerally.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=cycling;action=...
2006-05-12 12:06 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
a poncho is a very bad idea - especially when it's windy. it's ok for commuting in a city when you don't go any faster than say 12 mph, but for training?

i've only gone out in the rain with my race bike a few times in the rain and it sucked so much that i'll try to avoid it at all cost (that's not much of a cost for me, as i live in California)

anyhow - here's one thing that worked for me: wear no socks, or, if it's too cold for that, the thinnest socks possible. socks soaking up water + wind chill = extremely cold feet.
2006-05-12 12:27 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
I gotta disagree with the no socks thing.  I wear heavier socks and booties.  Warm wet feet is better than cold nekkid feet at 40 degrees and lower.  If you dont have a good pair of cycling pants, they are a great investment.  My wife also scored me a neoprenish jacket from REI (I was trying to find the link but no luck yet) that is absolutely fantastic.  Has some repellent qualities but will get wet.  You can maybe wear a waterproof layer under your to layer so you dont have any tent hurting your wind resistance.  Generally I will go with Underarmour heat gear sleeveless tee, then a cold gear shirt over that and maybe a long sleeve cotton tee then the jacket.  I have a 2.5-3 hr ride planned for tomorrow and hope this is enough.  Be more concerned with staying warm than dry if you gotta choose.  All that sweat and stink seems to keep me cozy anyway.
2006-05-12 12:39 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
well, keep in mind that i'm in CA. what's cold for us is probably warm for you.

in a 55F rain i'd rather go sockless.
2006-05-12 12:50 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Check out this pictures from my race this weekend, especially the races in the morning. It will give you an idea of what people are wearing.

http://www.printroom.com/ghome.asp?domain_name=descantes&group_id=8

It seems the plastic jackets are the way to go...

Jen

2006-05-12 12:50 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Tri to get your hands on some gear designed for rain, at least gloves and booties as I find these parts to get very cold. (But I know it is $$)  You can always layer up and wear tights/leg warmers and a raining jacket on top to keep your core warm. I would definitely use socks (leaving in New England it seems kind of crazy not to do it!) and put on your shoes some duck tape to cover the top of it. This will help to keep your feet dry from the rain and insulate some of the cold, plus if you wear the booties you are pretty much all set! To keep your head dry some people use a showering cap on top of the helmet, I personally just wear a hat and the helmet.

2006-05-12 1:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ottawa, Ontario
Mountain Equipment Coop sells a great pair of cycling tights that have a Gore-Tox nylon face on the front, but are plain tights on the back. As a result they keep your legs fairly dry as you drive into the wind, but you don't overheat because of the plain spandex on the back. I use these all the time for cycling in cold, wet weather. You may be able to find something similar locally if you don't want to order through the mail.

D
2006-05-12 1:18 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

jszat and I live in your area, and in this crap, you're not gonna overheat unless you really really overdo it.  If you don't have booties for over your bike shoes, get some TODAY. 

Otherwise, I've worn shell type pants and a shell type outer jacket.  Then, underneath, all dry-fit type stuff like jszat mentioned.  Make sure the gloves are nylon on the outside as well to keep your hands reasonably dry.  You won't overheat in these weather conditions.

You gain and lose a lot of heat from the top of your head (I've heard) so based on how it feels you can decide whether you need a hoodie or not.  I'd have one of those on hand for this type of weather as well.

And, yea, the no socks idea ain't gonna work for the expected weather here in the upper midwest this weekend.  Nice idea for summer rides though.

2006-05-12 1:44 PM
in reply to: #422182

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
morey1 - 2006-05-12 1:18 PM

You gain and lose a lot of heat from the top of your head (I've heard) so based on how it feels you can decide whether you need a hoodie or not. 

You did help me a lot last weekend with advice on dealing with the cold, it's just that now we have the added element of the wet.  Top of the head? - don't worry I've got my car washing rag all ready to go.

Thanks to everyone for the tips.  The funny thing is that i'm a big sissy when it comes to getting in the cold pool early in the morning but I'm looking forward to freezing my butt off on the bike.  Go figure.

2006-05-12 2:21 PM
in reply to: #422224

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Bear in mind that even "water proof/resistent" clothes will be soggy after an hour riding constatnly in the rain. Fact of life. I don't dress any different for it than normal except maybe add some arm warmers.

I don't mind rain at all as long as it is not cold and not on a really hilly ride. Riding through the rain is like running in it. It can be fun.

When we did the mini-BT ride (well, Paul - grems, Ernie - ejc, and me) it started pouring for the last 10 miles or so. Didn't phase me. :shrugs:

2006-05-12 3:06 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

Cold I can handle.  Wet I can handle.  The two together, on the bike, nope, noway, sorry.

You'll find me on my trainer Saturday morning for my ride.   

2006-05-12 3:20 PM
in reply to: #422357

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
coredump - 2006-05-12 3:06 PM

Cold I can handle.  Wet I can handle.  The two together, on the bike, nope, noway, sorry.

You'll find me on my trainer Saturday morning for my ride.   

I could find you IF you'd tell me where you live!  (stalker alert!) And I'm still waiting to see how you answer the "would you let someone ride your tri bike?" thread.

<drooling, rubbing hands together>

Seriously, I'll be thinking of you going high speed on your trainer while I'm doing 9 mph out to Marengo and back.

2006-05-12 3:47 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Techinically I'll be moving along at 0 mph.  If if I exceed that speed, I'll probably do some damage to my drywall in the basement. 
2006-05-12 6:53 PM

User image

Champion
MA

It is supposed to rain here this weekend. A group of us BTers are planning on riding the Mooseman course...I'm planning on doing just over one loop which will be 42 miles. We pushed back from Sat. to Sunday to avoid the rain, but the rain is still coming...grr.

My coach offered another option...1.5 hours on trainer in am and another 1.5 in pm followed by a run. Crap riding in the rain sounds much more fun than 3 hours on the trainer. It willbe the 2.5 hour drive home after the 3.5 hours outside in the rain...that will be unpleasant.

I'm planning on wearing my cold weather gear as it will be both wet and cold...booties will be great...my windproof Pearl tights, somewhat waterproof Brooks jacket...but jeez I don't really want to be outside in the rain for 3.5 hours But my desire to do well at Mooseman this year is greater.

2006-05-12 7:01 PM

Master
portland, or
Feet: plastic bags over your socks Cold & Wet: Add booties

Legs: knickers with lower legs "greased" (there are cycling specific products that can be used, Born is the brand I've used, but I usually use Bag Balm). For Cold & Wet: A good pair of tights with wind & rain protection on the front is a good investment for frequent riding.

Torso: A good rain jacket with reflective patches, pit zips, and a back vent is a worthwhile investment. Craft and Sugoi make good ones at reasonable prices.

The clear plastic ones that jeng referred to come in a range of types. Thick plastic with little or no ventilation and/or reflection to very high-tech breathable jackets. The cost varies dramatically as well $25 to $250+. These are popular in bike races because you can still see the team kit and race number.

Hands: Neoprene is my choice. Your hands will get wet, but like a wetsuit they will regulate the temp.

I've tried a lot of "waterproof" gloves, but none hold up to a ride in a downpour, or long ride in just steady rain. I do like to keep a second pair of gloves in a baggie, and in a jersey pocket when riding long in wet conditions.

Scott, from the currently sunny, but often wet, Pac NW.

2006-05-12 10:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Kalispell MT
I started riding outside in Feb. Whenever there wasn't snow on the ground. I used an outfit I bought at Cabelas. It is light enough that I have used it from snowy days to rainy days. It works really well in the wind also. Underneath I dress a little bit cooler than I would if I were going running. I also use it running on nasty days. I have found that even on cold days if you wear a good base layer under it, you will stay pretty comfortable. I have actually gottne back from snowy runs during which I felt great only to notice frost on the inside of the jacket when I take it off. I would swear by it. Here is the link to one very similar to mine.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?...

Good Luck
Mike
2006-05-12 10:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Kalispell MT
Oh I forgot about the feet. Earlier I was so tired of staring at the walls in the basement while riding on the trainer I went out when weather was high 20s. I didn't have booties so wore thin dress socks and made some "poor man's" booties out of old socks cut to size and pulled over the shoes. Infact to cut down the wind and some moisture I put a ziplock bag between to socks on each foot. It was surprisingly warm.

Again- Good Luck
Mike
2006-05-12 11:56 PM
in reply to: #422701

Elite
Laurium, MI

i find that as long as I don't have bare skin exposed and my fingers and toes are warm, I can tolerate wet down into the 50's as long as I am moving and generating heat.

You lose heat while riding due to either conduction,  convection or evaporative cooling.  Basicly your body is warming a thin layer of air at the surface of your skin.  If that layer of air is removed, then you reheat a new layer.... thus you lose heat and get cold.  When your skin gets wet, that water is colder then your skin temp.  It tries to reach equilibrium, so it starts absorbing heat.  It takes a lot of energy to increase the temp of water, so that is going to sap your body heat.  Water also evaporates, which is not a huge concern in really rainy conditions, because the realtive humidity is already really high, but if it starts to clear up and the humidity drops, water evaporating will drop your skin temp really fast.

So to keep warm you need to fight those processes directly.  The primary one to fight is conduction.  So you need to get the water off you skin ASAP.  A wicking layer will help out with this as it pulls moisture away from your skin where it can evaporate without making you cold.  Even saturated, a good wicking material will keep most of the water off your skin.  In the rain, I will ride in smart wool hiking socks.  Even when saturated, they keep as much water as possible from the surface of your feet.   

To battle convection you need a wind proof layer.  Like was mentioned, the best ones are breatheable membranes.  These work very well as long as the membrane does not have liquid water clinging to it.  If the membrane wets out, then vapor can't pass through it and it's basicly a big sheet of plastic.  So most quality membrane jackets have a layer of nylon on top that has been treated with a shedding agent.  You can use this same shedding agent on base wicking layers with good sucess to improve the water repelency of something without affecting the breathability.

Goretex is probably the best membrane material I have found (I actually prefer Mountain Hardwear's version, but alas they don't make cycling gear), but another great alternative is something called Tyvek.  It's the stuff the USPS makes priority mail envelopes out of and new construction uses for house wrap.  Frog-toggs makes jackets out of the stuff.  It's super thin and light.  So it doesn't trap much heat, but it repells a lot of water.

If you are ambitious you can buy this stuff by the roll at a contractor supply house and make your own jackets and leggings.  It costs about $120 for a 8' by 100' roll, so you'd probably want to either plan on making a ton and selling them or getting together with a bunch of people to split up the roll.

2006-05-13 5:26 AM
in reply to: #422413

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

We're relegated to the spinning bikes today!!!!! No way am I riding outside. Too cold.

Although we did ride outside a couple of weeks ago when it was pretty cold... and wet....I wore a long sleeved jersey, and a waterproof shell jacket... knickers... (cycling pants that come to about the knees) and socks and shoes and toe warmers. Gloves also. I wore an ear band thing under my helmet.

We were soaked when it was over. And freezing. I think the name of the game is layers.  Dress in dri-fit layers.

Good Luck. I will be racing Dumpster at 0 mph.

2006-05-13 8:27 AM
in reply to: #422752

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Whizzzzz - 2006-05-13 5:26 AM

We're relegated to the spinning bikes today!!!!! No way am I riding outside. Too cold.

Although we did ride outside a couple of weeks ago when it was pretty cold... and wet....I wore a long sleeved jersey, and a waterproof shell jacket... knickers... (cycling pants that come to about the knees) and socks and shoes and toe warmers. Gloves also. I wore an ear band thing under my helmet.

We were soaked when it was over. And freezing. I think the name of the game is layers.  Dress in dri-fit layers.

Good Luck. I will be racing Dumpster at 0 mph.

Bah!  You wimp!   Just got back and it's lovely out.  (Whizz and I live in the same town, tho we've never met) Much warmer and drier than I expected.  43 degrees when I left the house and the roads were wet but no rain.  It was balmy.  Another 20 minutes and I think I'll have feeling in my feet! 

Thanks for the advice everyone, I've got more shopping to do!

2006-05-13 8:46 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Vortex has really good advice. I"ll just add to that that even with teh high tech fabrics like gore-tex, there is a tradeoff between breathability and water resistance. Cycling generates a lot of heat, and therefore sweat, so that sweat needs to be able to evaporate through the outer layer of clothing or else it the water vapor turns into sweat INSIDE your jacket making you wet from the inside as well.

THe "neoprinish" jacket someone mentioned above is more likely a garment class called "soft shell", intended to be a close fitting, tightly woven breathable and water resistant fabric, used a lot in winter activities like ice climbing and cross country skiing, two sport which also generate a lot of heat. They stretch with activity and fit close to allow the vapor to pass through the fabric,

You can spend anywhere from $20 to $400 on outer layers depending on who makes the fabric and who sews the garment.

Once jacket I like is the Marmot Precip line. $99 for a jacket, and it breaths nicely. After a long day in continuous rain, it does get soggy, though, and is not made specifically for cycling, but I'll probably be wearing it today.

Patagonia used to make a jacket called the Velocity Shell, which is about teh same price point, lighter and more breathable. It's my witner running shell.

Edited by AdventureBear 2006-05-13 8:48 AM
2006-05-13 11:14 AM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Thanks for all the tips on cycling in rain & cold. I'm staying inside...but I'll probably run outside.
2006-05-13 11:42 AM
in reply to: #422172

User image

Norristown, PA
herridge - 2006-05-12 1:08 PM

Mountain Equipment Coop sells a great pair of cycling tights that have a Gore-Tox nylon face on the front, but are plain tights on the back. As a result they keep your legs fairly dry as you drive into the wind, but you don't overheat because of the plain spandex on the back. I use these all the time for cycling in cold, wet weather. You may be able to find something similar locally if you don't want to order through the mail.

D

I have some Pearl Izumi cycling tights like that that I used to wear a lot in foul weather when I rode a lot up outside of Boston. Being Pearl Izumi they were a little pricy but TOTALLY worth it. Great thing was that they had a nice thin fleece lining so they were comfy but not so heavy that they were too warm. For winter riding I could put them on over a layer of polypropelyne long underwear (lightweight/midweight or even expedition weight for when it was insanely cold) and because they wick moisture away from your skin I would stay pretty comfortable.
For the top layer I would go with one of the expedition layer long underwear tops you can get from REI or Eastern Mountain sports. I like the ones with the zipp neck turtlenecks. The longer the zipper the better because that way you can unzip it to vent excess heat or zip it right up to stay a little warmer. For added protection from the rain I recently got a lightweight shell that was on sale made by Illuminite that was not too baggy so it shouldn'd add too much drag & it has the added benefit of being extremely visible in lower light conditions(think darkening skies & ominous thunder clouds or late afternoon rides after work).
http://www.illuminite.com/Catalog/.

Matt
2006-05-13 12:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Burbs north of Chicago
I have no advice but would like to vent that this weather sucks!!!!!!!!  I live near Hangloose, Coredump and Whiz (but have never met) and we are dealing with highs of 48 in May!!!!!  I have a new bike and I don't own a trainer so I don't have much choice but to suck it up and get out there.  In March, ok, but May?????  Yea, I have lived in Chicago my whole life and know it does this almost every year, blah, blah blah.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need cold/rain cycling advice Rss Feed  

of 2