General Discussion Race Reports! » 26.2 with Donna - Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

26.2 with Donna - Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
United States
26.2 with Donna
28F / -2C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 21m 4s
Overall Rank = 501/1745
Age Group = Women 40 - 44
Age Group Rank = 40/168
Pre-race routine:

DH and I took Friday off and drove down to Jacksonville. On Saturday we went to the expo and I checked in. The expo for this event is pretty good. I enjoyed it. We did a little course recon on Saturday afternoon but since I ran this event last year, I was pretty relaxed about that. We ended Saturday with a trip to Mellow Mushroom for pre-race pizza.

On Sunday morning, I got up at 4:25, lubed up liberally and then ate a bagel with peanut butter and a banana and drank a bottle of camelbak elixir. I had a little bit of coffee from the hotel lobby and waited to get shuttle bus to the race start. And waited. And waited. And waited.

There was a huge pre-race transportation debacle that caused me to get to the start line as they were singing the National Anthem -- you know me, I was at the shuttle bus place waaayyyy early (in the lobby before 4:45, on the bus after 6:00!). Anyway, this was both in my favor (no standing in the cold) and against me (no time to get psyched at the start).

Oh yeah. Me. Florida. Near record cold. Did I mention that?
Event warmup:

So, I got off the bus, dropped off my pre/post race bag (no lines, everyone was already in the corrals), pre-race pee (no lines, everyone was already in the corrals) and walked toward the corrals. I made an effort to walk quickly and not run to the corrals. Running should wait until the race actually started. I got to the corrals as they were singing the National Anthem. I wiggled my way into the correct corral and they started as I got there.

They had about four corrals. The half and full marathon runners went in together according to color codes they had on our bibs. In other words, 4 hour marathoners and 2 hour half marathoners were mixed together. It was good that I knew where I was supposed to be based on the 2011 event since there was no time to figure anything out this year!

The race started a 10 minutes late. They were aware of the transportation problems to some extent. Not everyone from my hotel made it to the start line in time. I was fortunate. It 30 degrees when the race started (48 degrees when I finished).
Run
  • 4h 21m 4s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

The hotel that we stayed at was on the course near mile 7 and mile 19. My husband was on the beach just after mile 7 to cheer. That was nice. I had a throw away polartec type jacket that I wore to the race start over my capris and long sleeved tee. It was cold and I decided to keep it on for a while. I wore it zipped up for about two miles and then I completely unzipped it and wore it that way for until about mile 4. I was getting warm in it and was about to toss it when some other runner nearby said to each other, keep your jacket on until we get to the beach (mile 5) since it is so windy (15+ mph with gusts to 35 in the morning, the wind tapered off as the day went on). I tied the jacket around my waist and held onto it until I could see my husband. I dropped it and asked him to grab it.

The run went really really well until mile 20. Then my legs started to complain a little bit. 10k to go. At mile 23 we got back onto the expressway to the finish. With about 2 miles to go I could see the finish.

I drank at about every other water stop -- just a few sips but something. I had Gu at 5, 10, 15, 20 (course provided at 5, 10 and 20, one that I carried at 15 since there was no Gu station there).

NINE MINUTE PR!
Post race
Warm down:

They handed me a silver mylar blanket and a bottle of water. I asked for my medal. I tapped my chest and said medal. I think the poor volunteer thought I was having heart problems. No MEDAL.

I was cold and wanted to get out of there -- after hitting the bathroom. Sad in a way since Sister Hazel playing later. I had two bananas. I cold not find the muffins but saw wrappers on the ground (darn half marathoners eating all the food!). There was Panera soup but the line was long and my husband was waiting in the family meeting area.

We took the shuttle back to the hotel in a nice warm shuttle bus and then went to the Beach Diner for brunch. Those pancakes tasted sooo gooood!

Event comments:

I thought that the crowd support was superb. The expo was great as was the runner support on the course. Water stations were well stocked, port-a-pots plentiful, Gu available, etc. The only issue was the shuttle buses to the start. That's kind of a biggie and I'm sure that the organizers are addressing it.

I would consider doing this event again.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-11-14 12:00 AM
Running
04:21:04 | 26.2 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 43/168
Overall: 174/1745
Performance: Good
Course: The course flat except for bridge over intracoastal waterway. Almost immediately after leaving the Mayo Clinic, the course went over the intracoastal waterway. After about three miles on an expressway (closed to traffic, of course!) we started winding through Jacksonville's beaches. From about mile 5 to 8 we ran on the sand on the beach. The organizers created a temporary walkway over the soft sand to get runners on and off the beach. There was tons of crowd support along the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-02-14 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: 26.2 with Donna - Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer

2012-02-14 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4047251

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: 26.2 with Donna - Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer
Congrats on the PR!!!  well done!
2012-02-14 2:35 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Great job!  Isn't it funny how sometimes the adverse conditions end up leading to a PR?  Same thing for me.
2012-02-15 12:07 AM

User image

Melon Presser

CONGRATULATIONS JANYNE!!!

Nine-minute PR, sub-10 miles? WOOOOHOOOOO!

2012-02-15 7:14 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Nice RR, Janye! Good thinking on the jacket, too. 30 is cold....Can't believe it was that cold for this run. I bet the organizers hadn't thought of that one either.

Glad you got to the start line on time though.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 26.2 with Donna - Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer Rss Feed