General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike routes near Jordan lake or vicinity? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-15 12:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Bike routes near Jordan lake or vicinity?
Anyone know of a good bike route that I could try? I'm looking for 4 miles that I could loop or maybe 8-10, but has to be relatively little traffic and decent roads as I just got a new bike in December and I'm still trying to figure it out! First bike with clipless pedals and first official road bike ever so the learning curve is definitely there, thinking about pedals, shifters I'm not real familiar with, don't want to have to worry too much about traffic because I don't have a lot of experience biking in traffic either! Embarassed TIA!

2012-02-15 12:19 PM
in reply to: #4049084

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: Bike routes near Jordan lake or vicinity?
There a fair amount of roads out there with very light traffic.  Shearon Harris Rd might be a good road to start on.  Very little car traffic and lots of other cyclists out there.  Not sure where you could park but you could just ride back and forth to get accustomed to the bike.  Good Luck!
2012-02-15 7:48 PM

User image

Apex, nc
2012-02-16 10:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Thanks very much, I'll check those out!!
2012-02-16 1:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.

Hey. I don't mean to sound silly but if you are really uncomfortable with riding/gears/shifting,  could you spend 30 mins or so riding around a large, empty parking lot, shifting a lot, braking, stopping, unclipping, clipping back in and getting back up to speed, etc to get the hang of it? Any weekend at an office park would work. Alternatively, if you live near RTP, the park is pretty dead on the weekends so riding is good. Around Jordan Lake (I ride there a lot) there are a lot of quiet roads but also some roads with occassional cars (and sometimes lots of cars, depending on the road). The occassional cars sometimes go fast...I wouldn't really want to ride them if I didn't know how to hold a straight line.

2012-02-16 6:34 PM
in reply to: #4051128

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
louiskie - 2012-02-16 2:19 PM

Hey. I don't mean to sound silly but if you are really uncomfortable with riding/gears/shifting,  could you spend 30 mins or so riding around a large, empty parking lot, shifting a lot, braking, stopping, unclipping, clipping back in and getting back up to speed, etc to get the hang of it? Any weekend at an office park would work. Alternatively, if you live near RTP, the park is pretty dead on the weekends so riding is good. Around Jordan Lake (I ride there a lot) there are a lot of quiet roads but also some roads with occassional cars (and sometimes lots of cars, depending on the road). The occassional cars sometimes go fast...I wouldn't really want to ride them if I didn't know how to hold a straight line.

^^^This is good advice.  That stretch on the map is 55mph, and can be somewhat high traffic, with folks using Pea Ridge Road as a shortcut to US1 South.  It can also be a bit windy which can unsettle any rider (winds coming across the lake).  Usually a fair amount of debris on the shoulder through there.  Add in the occasional log or brick truck that likes to buzz cyclists, and it can be just a little hairy out there. 

I definitely second louiskie's RTP suggestion, or Jen's Shearon Harris Road (although that's 55mph with really sorry roads as well).  Hmmm, now that I think about it, our roads are kinda tough to ride on...

2012-02-16 7:14 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
Any chance you have or can find a friend to ride with?  If so, than by all means get some miles in on Beaver Creek or Shearon Harris.  If you can find a fairly experienced ( and patient ) wheel to hang on to, you will catch on in no time.  Those are two of my favorite roads to let loose on.

Edited by lmwel 2012-02-16 7:15 PM
2012-02-16 7:15 PM

User image

Veteran

Yes, I've done the parking lot thing

RTP is a good suggestion, if I can ride on the weekend I will do that.  However, I usually have Tuesday and Thursday to ride since I work an erratic schedule and my kids are in school those days so that's when I'll have time.  Any thoughts for light traffic areas on weekdays? I will drive to ride

2012-02-18 10:14 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
They re-paved Sharon Harris, didn't they? I don't know about weekdays, but weekends it's very little traffic. I love that road!

Lewter Shop Rd is usually pretty quiet. You could park at the White Oak ATT trail head, and ride up to Lewter shop rd and do a little out and back.

I second the Big Woods idea, also. I would avoid Farrington or 751 until you are more comfortable. Big trucks trailing boats can be unsettling.

You'll get the hang of it quickly - have fun!
2012-02-19 3:55 AM
in reply to: #4055042

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
keyone - 2012-02-18 11:14 PMThey re-paved Sharon Harris, didn't they? I don't know about weekdays, but weekends it's very little traffic. I love that road!Lewter Shop Rd is usually pretty quiet. You could park at the White Oak ATT trail head, and ride up to Lewter shop rd and do a little out and back. I second the Big Woods idea, also. I would avoid Farrington or 751 until you are more comfortable. Big trucks trailing boats can be unsettling.You'll get the hang of it quickly - have fun!
Repaved from the plant to partway over to Old1, but last time I was out there(few weeks ago) there were some nasty potholes between new hill-holleman and the plant. Plus a LOT of dump trucks (some grading going on on the east side of the plant).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike routes near Jordan lake or vicinity? Rss Feed