General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Whats your "spin" on spin classes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-18 10:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Subject: Whats your "spin" on spin classes

Just a question: 

Do you include "Spin" classes as part of your logged training?  I started attending spin 2x a wk at a local gym and really like the workout.  BUT is increasing the resistance on a spin bike really the same as a good hard climb on a road/tri bike??  Since i began taking Spin, Ive already become lax on making road miles a priority... Im down to 2x a week on my bike.  Whats your take on Spin?

2012-02-18 11:04 PM
in reply to: #4055061

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Whats your "spin" on spin classes
While not the same as riding, it's better than no riding at all. I had one fall/winter where almost all my bike training was done in spin classes (plus some time onthe spin bike before the class started). I'd get about 1:00 or more each time. I didn't find the "class" itself so much a help, but I altered it enough so that it was helpful. But I had an understanding with the instructor -- I did what I thought I needed to do, and she didn't give me a hard time about not bobbing up and down with every one who needed the constant change to keep their ADD at bay.
2012-02-18 11:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
I can't stand my local spin class. I'll spin on my own every once in a while, but usually I find myself on the trainer instead if the weather is bad. Either way, I certainly log it and count it as a bike session. But if I can get outside, that is definitely my preference. Can't speak to hills, since where I live and ride is flat as a pancake, unfortunately.
2012-02-18 11:18 PM

Veteran
Indiana

Out of six days of spin classes at my Y, Wednesday and Friday are led by the head coach of the triathlon group, who is an accomplished cyclist and triathlete. The other days, they're more fitness type instructors. Guess which days I try to make the spin class?

Given a great instructor who knows real world cycling and cycling training, I think there are benefits to the spin class. It is nice to get feedback from an experienced cycling coach who has an hour to watch you, without having to watch for traffic or whatever. It is good for me sometimes to focus on my form/technique or just hammering hard, without having to worry about stop signs or getting hit by a dump truck. For one example, I got some great coaching on my breathing patterns - I'm guessing he probably would not have picked that up in a group ride out on the road.

Still I would not want spin classes to exclude real world cycling.

Weather permitting, I try to work in as much real world cycling as I possibly can. But even in the fair weather months, I still try to make one or two of those quality cycling-oriented spin classes per week.

The random "fitness instructor" type spin classes; not so much. It's still a good cardio workout, and I'd do it if that was my only workout choice - but I wouldn't go out of my way for them and certainly wouldn't forego real world cycling for them.

Edited by alath 2012-02-18 11:20 PM
2012-02-19 6:33 AM

Malvern, PA
Two points, both were already alluded to:

1. Not as good as real cycling but better than nothing.

2. Depends on instructor. Some of them have no clue about real cycling and have you do maneuvers that may be a decent aerobic workout but may actually reinforce bad cycling form or habits.

If you have a decent amount of motovation, I say bundle up and ride on the road or get a set of rollers or a trainer. If you can't, I think spin class is plan B.
2012-02-19 6:45 AM
in reply to: #4055174

User image

Veteran
Mandeville

I train with a local pro who logs rides four days a week, and two of those days are on the trainer.

The important part is to spin with a purpose.  Wear your HR monitor and don't just mindlessly spin. Is it an endurance session in zone 2?  Is it an interval session?   A race pace tempo session?

Get on the bike with a purpose and execute it.

2012-02-19 6:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Findlay
I do them every Sunday in late fall and winter. Althoough I am in a session led by an experienced triathlete and the class is comprised of cyclists/triathletes.
2012-02-19 7:01 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Excellent aerobic training but does not completely substitute for road time.  However schedule and weather often limit road time so spinning is a reasonable replacement, it does depend on the instructor though.
2012-02-19 7:15 AM
in reply to: #4055083

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

briderdt - 2012-02-19 12:04 AM While not the same as riding, it's better than no riding at all. I had one fall/winter where almost all my bike training was done in spin classes (plus some time onthe spin bike before the class started). I'd get about 1:00 or more each time. I didn't find the "class" itself so much a help, but I altered it enough so that it was helpful. But I had an understanding with the instructor -- I did what I thought I needed to do, and she didn't give me a hard time about not bobbing up and down with every one who needed the constant change to keep their ADD at bay.

I agree.  I do them occasionally for convenience or for a change of scenery from riding my trainer alone at home.  I also make sure the instructor knows that I'm there to replace a cycling training session, and not for a general aerobic workout, so they shouldn't be offended when I don't follow everything exactly.  I normally try to grab a bike in the back row, so I'm less likely to distract others when I'm not joining in for "jumps" or 120 rpm spins.  I've also done as long as 2 1/2 hours on a spin bike by doing 2 classes in a row without getting off.

One other tip:  If the cycling room has ceiling fans, try to get a bike directly beneath one.  Staying cooler allows for harder efforts.

2012-02-19 7:37 AM

At my Y, we have a spin class that we do to Sufferfest videos.  The instructor, an Xterra racer, brings in a projector and we do the workout from the video.  It is still not riding outside, but it is way better than your typical spin class.  It must be pretty tough as the only people who continue to come are cyclists or triathletes.  It is quite fun.
2012-02-19 8:56 AM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

I go to indoor cycling class about 3 times a week in the cold months. During the nice weather, I'm outside on my tri bike, but it's winter now, so there isn't that option.

For me, it's much better than the trainer. The bikes in class (Lemond Revmaster) are a much better fit for me than the bike that's currently on my trainer. I haven't gotten a trainer tire for my tri bike, so I just make do with what my husband is using on the trainer.

Also, and more importantly, some of the instructors at my gym are very good. Most are cyclists, a few are triathletes, and there is not that "aerobics class" vibe that many dislike. There are a few instructors I avoid, but for the most part, I'm happy with the level of instruction. At my gym, there are cycle classes @ 5:30am M,T, Th, and F. Saturday and Sunday also have a good selection of time. The Saturday 90 min ride (taught by a hardcore roadie) is always full. I like the group ride benefit and the simplicity of it all. I just show up with my shoes and a water bottle. And I can go for a short swim after I'm done, as long as I shower first. Wink

2012-02-19 10:43 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

When it's too cold the ride, like now, I go to spin classes.  I ride with good resistance the whole time.  I try to attend the classes tought by cyclists.  You'll know when they're not cyclists because they want to do up/downs the whole time and they're spinning at what seems like 150 rpm.

I'll sit in the back where I can just stay in the saddle while others are doing their up/downs etc.  I do that out of repsect for the spin instructor.

I would not choose spin over riding outside, spinning is simply a substitute when outside is not an option.

A good portion of my yearly miles have been in spin classes (30%?) and I do log them as actual miles, I just estimate the number of miles based on workout.

Since spin is only an hour or so, I go hard the whole time = pool of sweat under the bike/on the towel.  I don't go in with a purpose, like another has stated, I just go in for a suffer-fest.  But I like the idea of going in with a purpose.

2012-02-19 11:08 AM

Master

It's as good as riding outdoors, so long as you are already comfortable with outdoor bike handling. (Triathlon bike handling is very easy and straightforward unless you're a new beginner.)

2012-02-19 11:46 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-02-19 12:57 PM

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I teach an indoor cycling class for my athletes & at my local bike shop. It's all prescribed with intensity effort & suggested cadence ranges depending on what I want to simulate. They are basically the same workouts I'd prescribe outside. I use the music to help time intervals...for example 3 x 12 minute sweetspot intervals...songs are each 3-4 minjtes long, so song #1 I'll do zone 3, cadence ~90, song #2, Zone 4, cadence ~ 70 to simulate a small hill, Song #3 back down to zone 3. Recovery at Zone 1/2 high cadence, etc.

It's a lot of fun and a grea tway to make an hour or so go by wiht good training effect. It's a tool for training, and can be used well, or used just to pass the time in a gym
2012-02-19 8:16 PM

Regular

I echo many sentiments - I prefer spin class with a good instructor (the two I respect the most are hard core runners and personal trainers who get triathletes). I do class when I travel that is specifically triathletes and its great. 

I have been doing this winter but ready to get outside...

2012-02-19 8:31 PM

Master
Crab Cake City
I put them in as training in my logs.
2012-02-19 8:51 PM

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
My "spin" is that in the winter in MN, spin class is a great break from the trainer and I work very hard and they kick may a$$!
2012-02-20 7:53 AM

New Haven, CT

in my experience spin classes are a nice break from grinding away on the trainer watching reruns of shows you've watched 20 times already.  is it as good as getting outside or the trainer?  no.  But they dont have babysitting "outside" and sometimes the kids/wife will not let me ride the trainer in peace (not that they should).  just stay away from the "jumping" and other goofy stuff.  I usually just treat spin calss as i do a trainer ride.  you just get a little companionship and a different play list.

Note, I am giving you the MOP perspective of someone who places triathlon at about 4th priority in life.  if you want to be really fast on the bike you need to ride your bike, preferably uphills with really fast people pushing you, as much as possible.  However, for me, spinning allows me to get extra bike time in that otherwise would not occur. 

2012-02-20 12:05 PM

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson

In my personal experience (n=1), "spinning" helped me a lot.  I use the term spinning loosely because I never "spin" during the class.  Sweatfest all the way!

The point I'm trying to get across is that in any work out, it's up to you what you make out of it.  I try to do 2 spin classes a week because it's already dark when I get off work.  Those two spin classes are brutal though.  I need two medium sized towels for sweat and there' multiple times during the class when the thighs are just burning and I just go and suck it up and go for a swim after .  I believe this has helped me keep up with my cycling group on my weekend rides where 22-25 mph is the norm and there's a stretch where they push it to 30.  Also, I think it has helped me become a stronger climber.  I lead on the climbs and push everyone on the way back.

I've heard similar positive effects from back FOP triathletes as well. 

In terms of logging, I do it conservatively and just put in 15 miles for 1 hour of work.  Besides, you're body will tell you how much you worked anyways.

2012-02-20 6:36 PM

Elite

the resistance on the spin bike is great when cranked up really high - like a mountain climb, feel those quads burn, can't get the same effect on the trainer without ruining a few tyres.

I have a friend and her husband both have completed 10 Ironman races and they both teach spin classes.  A good instructor is all that's needed and a good attitude!  If I go to a spin class that has an aerobic class vibe then I just crank up the resistance and go for a good sweat fest!

The front row at my local gym is all triathletes and a few have the MDot tattoo.....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Whats your "spin" on spin classes Rss Feed