The Austin Marathon Foundation, Inc.
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 39m 39s
Overall Rank = 3534/
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 119/141
Pre-race routine:

WARNING - I put a lot of details into these RR's. More for me to remember everything, but they tend to get long

Got to Austin Friday night. Weather was absolutely miserable. Rain, chilly and windy. Forecast was for more of the same Saturday but every prediction was sunny and a lot warmer for race day. Slept like crap Friday night. Saturday, went to breakfast. Picked up Haley and Kurt at the airport and went to the Expo. The packet pick-up process was very easy. Hardly any wait. The Expo itself, however, was insanely crowded. Tons of vendors, but the aisles were so narrow that it was just hard to move around. It really got to the point of being claustrophobic. Since we are doing the Cowtown half next weekend, figured I would see all the same vendors there so just focused on the LIVESTRONG Austin Marathon stuff. Picked up 2 shirts and 2 hats (for Steve and me). On to Whole Foods, which was equally as crowded. Picked up a few things and had a great lunch of Chicken Teriyaki. Back to the hotel. Relax, a little nap and an early dinner at Macaroni Grill. Quick trip to Target and back for another very fitful night's sleep.
Event warmup:

Alarm was set for 4:45 but was up way before that. Shower, dressed, packed up the car and headed over to the race. Our friend who lives in Austin gave us a back-way to avoid much of the traffic and we had no problem finding a great parking spot about 2 blocks from the start. Didn't even bother with bag check because the car was so close. We went up to the 3:40 pace group because that was where Kurt was starting. Gun went off. We waited on the side for about 10 minutes and got in with he 4:30 group. Tried to eat a bagel and a Honey Stinger Waffle pre race but I had no water and could not get them down. In the end I don't think it was an issue.
Run
  • 5h 39m 39s
  • 26.38 miles
  • 12m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Start to mile 1.5 - Up Up Up. Almost from the start we got a taste of the Austin Hills. I knew the profile of the course, so knew (plus my most awesome pacer Haley) kept me in check by not going out too hard. It was funny to see almost everyone killing themselves in the first 1.2 miles. Dumped my sweatshirt at about mile 1. Walked the first aid station to fill my Amphipod water bottle.

Miles 1.5-2.5 - This is where they lull you into a false sense of security with about a mile of great downhill. O, but that is all about to change.

Miles 2.5-5.5 - What he heck did I get myself into. We climbed, and climbed and climbed some more. I trained on the hills, but as they say, hindsight is 20/20. I should have concentrated my training on just the hilly areas running shorter loops up and down. Since we knew it was going to be a long day, we walked most of the steeper hills and ran the few downhills if they fell on a scheduled walk break. Again, to many people killing themselves too early in the race. At mile 5 we had our first Shannon sighting. My wonderful friend drove all the way from Dallas on Sunday morning. She would show up at various points on the course with her backpack of goodies.

Miles 5.5 - 8 - Finally we were at the top (or were we?) and we had a few miles of recovery going downhill. I was still feeling pretty good at this point.

Miles 8-17 - Up we go, again. I don't remember anything particularly heinous about the hills, just continual, gradual climbing. At about mile 9 we ran through the LIVESTRONG section. That was so cool and actually pretty emotional. The crowds were so loud and everyone was dressed in yellow. Haley was wearing a shirt that on the front said "For my husband" and on the back "For Maw". Got so many comments. Mile 10 Shannon was there with her backpack of heaven. Took some Swedish Fish which were such a great break from GU. Since I trained with them for IM, I was not worried about eating them. It was at mile 10 when the half and full split. We stayed left and at that point, I knew I was committed to going the distance.

Miles 17-20. This section is what Haley refers to as the "Bad Marcy" period. It was without a doubt when I hit my dark time. I think it was more mental fatigue than physical. Don't get me wrong, I hurt. But I was more mentally done with the race at this point. The bright spot was the Oreo's that Shannon had at 17. But other than that, really nothing good to say about that those 3 miles except I didn't quit. Not that Haley would have let me. I know in the Army she was a nurse, but at that point she put on her Drill Instructor hat and kept me going.

Miles 20-26 - Things got better. I hurt more but mentally I was in a much better place. The terrain flattened out, but mostly, I think that the fact that we were now heading back towards the city, and could see the buildings, was a big plus. Shannon was there again at mile 22 with Cool Ranch Doritos!

26-26.2 - They mess with you on the course. Give you a nice flat few miles right until you can almost see the finish line, then throw in 2 completely heinous hills right at the end. Walked the first one but thanks to H's encouragement ran the second. Into the chute and there was the finish line. Wow, just like that it was over!
What would you do differently?:

Run more hills. Not let my demons take over. Other than that, I think I ran to the best of my abilities
Post race
Warm down:

Once we crossed the line, it was a 3 block finishers area. Got our medals, water and finishers pictures. Walked and walked and walked until the end. Shannon was right there at the line. Steve and Kurt were a little down and we waited for them to get to us. While our parking spot was awesome for the race start, it was about 8 blocks (uphill of course) back to the car. Hobbling back was my warm-down. Changed into some dry clothes. Dropped H and K off at our friends house and headed home. A quick stop for some food and 4 uncomfortable smelly hours in the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Even though the hills were not a surprise, they kicked my butt in a major way. I feel like I trained well. I followed my plan. I was really hoping for a 5:15 finish but I am not disappointed. I finished, got my medal and can now say that I have run a marathon.

Event comments:

I cannot say enough about the organization of this event. The volunteers were beyond incredible. The aid stations, even for us back of packers, were always well staffed and stocked. never did they run out of anything. There were medical stations at every water stop with Vaseline and band aids. The course was safe and really nice. Even though during my dark miles I said I would never do this again, we all know that's not true! I cannot say enough to Haley for being such a wonderful friend and keeping me moving forward, even during the times I said I hated her. And what can you say about a friend who drives 4 hours with a backpack of heaven. Thanks Shannon. And a big big high five to my most wonderful husband who finished his first half after his back surgery last year!

Last updated: 2011-10-10 12:00 AM
Running
05:39:39 | 26.38 miles | 12m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 119/141
Overall: 3534/
Performance: Good
Course: All around Austin. Starting in the heart of the city.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-02-20 8:43 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: LIVESTRONG Austin Marathon

2012-02-20 9:34 AM
in reply to: #4056371

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Subject: RE: LIVESTRONG Austin Marathon
Great job!  way to push yourself to the end and finish.  This really is one of the most well organized marathons out there.  congrats!
2012-02-20 4:48 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Great race, and LOVED your race report!  You rock, and so do your friends!  I do, however, question your sanity for choosing such a hilly course for your first (stand alone) marathon.  Should make the next one look easy!

2012-02-20 7:06 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Actually you have now run 2 marathons   Gret job out there.  You trained hard and smart for this one.  Ihope youhad fun. Congrats and MMMMMMMM Sweedish fish!!
2012-02-20 8:24 PM

User image

Regular
Conroe TX
Way to go!!!  I've done the Half 2 years in a row and I'm thinking of running the Full next year.  You're right, it's a fantastic race.  You did fantastic.  Way to go!!!
2012-02-21 9:34 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
Great job!  Nice to (briefly) meet you, too!

2012-02-21 1:58 PM

User image

Queen BTich
You did great! Even during Bad Marcy when you were slowing down, you picked it up. Everyone goes through those bad periods, I do when I'm doing a race alone. We had fun! Whoooo!
2012-02-24 12:01 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
I am so impressed and proud of you! Way to go Marcy!
2012-02-24 12:52 PM

User image

Great job!!!!  I've been looking for your race report to see how you did. Good job on overcoming those demons between 17-20.  Doesn't seem like they got you, you finished.

Really, really inspiring.  Hope to see you add to your marathons!

2012-02-26 5:55 AM

Great work. all the best in future..

DFW Limo Services

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LIVESTRONG Austin Marathon Rss Feed