United States
The Austin Marathon Foundation, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 36s
Overall Rank = 1448/10363
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 136/578
Pre-race routine:

Got up a little after 5. Had some Diet Coke (of course) and half a dozen frozen waffles. Got bundled up and headed downtown with Rich and Carey. A little foresight and smart thinking got us excellent free parking in the state garage a block away from the starting line with plenty of time to spare.
Event warmup:

Jogged for about 8 minutes and did some easy dynamic stretches. Rich disappeared and we were starting to wonder if he was going to make it back for the start.

Caught up with Kurt, Haley, Marcy, and Steve before the start as well. Wished them all good luck.
Run
  • 1h 49m 36s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Great race overall. I felt good going in and my intention the whole time was to pace Rich. He was figuring 1:49:30 and my goal was to get him there.

He did well and toughed it out when his calf started cramping up on him. I'm proud of the way he finished out, only 6 seconds off the goal. Hopefully he'll get his mechanics issue figured out. If so, I think he can go under 3:45 in Nashville if he gives himself half a chance. I'll be shooting for sub-3:30.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I wasn't trying for any PRs.
Post race
Warm down:

None to speak of. No post-race massages like at a tri. Of course, tris don't have 18,000 people.

As warm as we were during the race, we got cold FAST once we finished. The chance of us hanging around any longer dropped to zero. As we walked to the car, we saw the lead marathoner run past us.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not trying to run faster. :p

Event comments:

Overall a challenging but not overly difficult course. The hills were enough to make you sit up and take notice, but not kill you. I love the silicone pint glasses they handed out as goodies at the finish line. Finisher's medal was also very nice, though I don't really care about them. Athlete food was pretty sparse, corn chips and a banana.

Last updated: 2012-02-23 12:00 AM
Running
01:49:36 | 13.1 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 136/578
Overall: 148/10363
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4