General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dumbest Injury Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-24 1:58 PM

User image

San Diego, CA
Subject: Dumbest Injury Ever!

So during my swim this morning I  was coming into the wall and forgot  to angle my fingers upward like I normally do when I touch.  Bad mistake! I ended up jamming my middle and ring fingers and now they hurt like crazy when I bend them. 

I'm sure this will go away soon and it won't slow down my training at all but it got me thinking, anyone else ever get a lame/weird injury?

2012-02-24 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4064905

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Subject: RE: Dumbest Injury Ever!

Oh, ouch!  One of my coworkers got tendinitis in his thumb from pipetting and had to go report it as a workplace injury.  Pretty nerdy!

I've done a number of dumb things, but the cake was breaking my tailbone in an inflatable kayak.  How it happened wasn't that dumb, but carrying around an inflatable donut sure was!

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

2012-02-24 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
jasonatkins - 2012-02-24 2:58 PM

So during my swim this morning I  was coming into the wall and forgot  to angle my fingers upward like I normally do when I touch.  Bad mistake! I ended up jamming my middle and ring fingers and now they hurt like crazy when I bend them. 

I'm sure this will go away soon and it won't slow down my training at all but it got me thinking, anyone else ever get a lame/weird injury?

If you just flipped turned that wouldn't be an issue

2012-02-24 2:08 PM
in reply to: #4064923

User image

San Diego, CA
RookieIM - 2012-02-24 12:04 PM

I think the flip turns are the source of my problems! I forgot how to touch the wall with my hand!

2012-02-24 2:12 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
wow that stinks, jammed fingers do hurt.
2012-02-24 2:13 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-02-24 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4064934

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio
jasonatkins - 2012-02-24 3:08 PM
RookieIM - 2012-02-24 12:04 PM

I think the flip turns are the source of my problems! I forgot how to touch the wall with my hand!

i'd rather jam my finiger on the wall than my head....just sayin

2012-02-24 2:38 PM

Master
Burlington, Vermont
When I was trying to learn flip turns, I pushed myself off the wall directly into the bottom of the pool. I impacted with the back of my left shoulder. I hit so hard that I had a bruise in the shape of 4 tiles that line the bottom of the pool.

Not an injury, per se, but funny. And dumb.

I routinely jam my fingers ... not to the degree you describe, though. 
2012-02-24 4:06 PM

Veteran
Berkley

When I was a young lad I was screwing around on my BMX bike in the road. I was practicing doing a wheelie when I landed my feet slipped off the pedals and I landed on the cross bar. Ouchies.

2012-02-24 4:19 PM

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan

Not sports related, I once tried to burn my face off cooking dinner (steam + spaghetti sauce is not your friend). A trip to the ER and everything, but no scarring.

I've sprained my thumb playing volleyball. I'm a journalist -- you try taking notes with pen and paper with a sprained thumb. My sister has hit me in the head with a tennis racket (accident, surprisingly). I've smashed a tennis ball into the face of one of my teammates -- complete accident but no one liked her much anyway. My tennis coach also once gave me a black eye with a tennis ball to the face.

Training for triathlon, I've smashed my head into the pool wall during backstroke. I've had lots of lame injuries, nothing exciting unfortunately.

Edited by Miles around Midtown 2012-02-24 4:20 PM
2012-02-24 6:16 PM

Veteran
Irvine, California

I have a few incidents:

1)  After mountain biking all day, I was riding home on a paved road about 2 blocks from home, and my chain had a kink in it, so when I stood up to pedal, the chain fell off the sprocket, I flipped over the bike, and broke a bone behind my kneecap.  After a cast for 6 weeks and physical therapy for 2 months, I was better.  A week later, I went to meet my friend at his church to go to a baseball game, which he told me the WRONG DAY, and as I was leaving, and, with the same bad leg, walked off the curb, my foot hit motor oil, and I slipped and fell.  Tore two ligaments in my knee (doc said they might have been injured during my biking incident earlier, but not sure).  The next day, I was back in a cast for 6 weeks, 2 more months of therapy, and after all that my doc said I needed surgery, followed by 3 more months of therapy. 

2)  While on a snowmobiling trip in Wisconsin, one of our sleds broke down.  Neither of us wanted the fun to end, so my friend and I just took one sled out and switched driving it.  While we were riding most of the time at 70mph, we slowed down for bridges and paths.  On the way back, 5 miles from the cabin we were staying at, he decided to try and go 60mph across a bridge that was about 10 feet wide.  Right before we got to it, we hit a snowdrift, I flew off, and without landing and slowing down, my back and my side flew into the log railing on the bridge, throwing my hip out of place about 4 inches.  No ER around, the next day we got a ride to a bus station, which brought us to a train station, which brought us to Union Station in Chicago, where I had to walk, for a half mile, which took an hour, to the car, and the next day went to the chiropractor who fixed me right up. 

3)  When I was 8, I was on the merry-go-round at the park.  You know, the ones about 18 inches off the ground?  Another kid pushed me off, I fell 18 inches, and I broke my collar bone.  Jerk!

2012-02-24 6:56 PM

Master
Rural Ontario

There was the time I wasn't paying attention while zipping up my jeans (I you don't get it think back to 'There's Something About Mary').  No pool or nooki for a week.

2012-02-24 7:30 PM

Veteran

I was playing basketball against eighth graders in te student teacher game and landed after a rebound to hear my foot crack.  Ended up with a Jone's Fracture, a 3 inch screw, and not walking for three months.  The hospital made me report it as a workman's comp case.

On the bright side, the injury woke me up and I lost a lot of weight and got into tri's....

2012-02-24 8:08 PM

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I only get dumb injuries. I have been running since age 10 and done a lot of stupid things training-wise, but aside from one nasty case of plantar fascitis as a teenager, the only injuries I have had have been freak ones--broke my big toe when I dropped a bed on it while moving furniture, got a carpet tack impaled through the space between my toes while walking barefoot in a new apt., seriously screwed up my back and pulled a hamstring in three separate incidents--sliding on ice while running for a bus (twice), and riding my bike into a parked car. Dislocated my middle finger hitting the lane line in backstroke. And those scars on my knees that people always think are from surgery--those are from two slipping incidents. #1 on a cigarette package and #2 on rotten guava. No surgery involved, just road rash! They did happen while running, though, so I suppose I can count them as running injuries.
2012-02-24 9:05 PM

Veteran
Maple Grove

Two weeks ago I discovered how easy it was to do a running dismount from the bike and was showing off for my 8yo daughter. I decided to try to show her a flying mount...in winter coat and jeans (it is winter here in Minnesota, after all). Just as I'm about to jump, my wife starts yelling about dinner being ready, and I only half-a**ed it onto the bike.  Not exactly sure of the sequence of events, but I ended up underneath my bike on the pavement and likely broke a rib. Every deep breath still hurts, and I can't lay on my stomach or give a big hug without significant pain.  Just stupid...

2012-02-24 9:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
blah blah blah blah flip turns blah blah blah no more injuries

2012-02-24 9:22 PM

Regular
Bloomington

My dumbest injury -- 3 weeks ago today I severely sprained the ankle when I stepped on a small branch while running.  Still unsure when I will be able to run again.  Cry

Hope your fingers feel better soon!

2012-02-24 9:40 PM

Master
University Park, MD

Getting dumb injuries has been a lifelong talent of mine. Some are athletic, some definitely not. They include:

-- Competing (very poorly) in the pole vault. Missed the landing mat. (No bones broken, fortunately.)
-- Practicing high jump. Missed the horizontal bar, instead hit a heavy steel upright bar at speed. Needed stitches in my scalp.
-- Another time practicing high jump. This time I made it over the (correct) bar, but upon landing I knocked some front teeth out with my own knee.
-- Biking in the rain, with head down to keep the water out of my eyes. Rode direct into a parked car. Shoulder injury.
-- Climbing onto my bike, on an icy morning. Not moving at all. The bike slipped, i fell. Broken wrist.
-- Ice skating with my then 5-year old daughter. She did a little jump, and I tried to copy. Hit the deck, arm in cast for a couple of weeks.
-- Fast start at a national youth XC race in the UK. Racing across a muddy field I put my foot in a hole. Tripped, and had the field of 500 run past/over me. Only realized after finishing that I had wounds from running spikes in my back, needed sewing up.
-- Softball game as a kid. Lining up to be the next hitter, too close to the current hitter. Teeth knocked out by the swing through. 

I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting. It's a wonder that I'm still alive frankly.

2012-02-24 9:57 PM

Veteran
I got bit by a mouse at work several years back. It was pretty embarrassing filling out the workman's comp claim because I had to get a Dr's visit, antibiotics and a tetanus shot over the whole stupid ordeal.
2012-02-24 10:06 PM

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah

I have a couple:

Last season, I was on my recently purchased rollers. Managed to ride to the edge where the bumpers are and kind of got "stuck" there. As I'm losing momentum, I begin to tip over. Long story short, my shoes had an issue where the cleat wouldn't come undone and I landed knee first on the concrete in my garage. I managed to get a severe bone bruise underneath the knee cap. 12 weeks of no running/biking because the pain was so severe. All from a 0 mph bike wreck.

A couple of weeks ago I went for a 10 mile run in a torrential downpour (HTFU). Managed to get some major blisters on the back of both heels. On my next run (7 miles) it hurt so bad that I altered my stride a bit and injured my ankle. 1 week off running while it healed. I would have been better off sitting on the couch that rainy day.

2012-02-25 12:49 AM

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas

As a competitive swimmer from 3rd grade, people don't realize how easy it is to get hurt in the pool, and I am not talking about the stupid people I see at the gym diving into 3 feet of water onto their head right in front of the NO DIVING sign

Jammed fingers are a given for most swimmers, and flip turns are not the answer, as I can't tell you how many heels get smashed on the gutters.  I was swimming back stroke, and one of the diving team was bouncing on the board....yep you guessed it right on my wrist, broken and still hurts 40 years later.

Last year I started swimming in a new pool that had flags at the end of the pool instead of my usual 4 strokes from the wall (backstroke).  I did measure, but forgot and swam my forehead right into the wall as I looked back to find the wall.

I practice butterfly every swim, and always cut my wrists or back of my hands on the lane line, or wall if I have to share the lane.  Everyone just loves to see blood in the water.

Oh yeah, nothing like knocking heads with some one in your lane that you didn't see, or even catching arms as you pass in the other direction swimming free.

And of course, these are regular swimming injuries.  Don't even get me started on water polo.  Just think of that like rugby in the pool.

2012-02-25 7:11 AM

Master
Southern Ontario
I rammed my 4th toe and broke it at the joint.  The whole top of my foot was bruised and the two toes had to be taped together for weeks.  It was awful.  No heels, no running...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dumbest Injury Ever! Rss Feed