General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hello! Intro and a training question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-26 10:57 AM

Subject: Hello! Intro and a training question

Hello all,

I am new to the site and trying to dig through the various articles.  I have run 6 marathons over the last 5 years or so (a baby threw my training off!).  While I've never done a real tri, I have done some "test tris" where I swam 1.5-ish miles, 30ish bike miles, and 12-ish miles.  I have a "just want to finish" goal of a full IM. I'm a little lumpier than I need to be for the full IM... but we'll work on that (6'1" 240lbs). 

My last marathon was November 5.  I took most of that month easy, and since December I've been working to get my swim technique up and build some leg strength for biking.  I've done a test run of the swim and in a pool, at a casual aerobic pace, I can do 3800 meters around 100 minutes.  Not great, but if I was a little less lumpy I think it would be quicker

My biking is awful - I'm a complete noob.  I have a decent tri-bike that I've played with some, but I need to spend some time getting up-to-speed.  For the last 3 months, I've been doing hard indoor stationary biking to get some leg strength.  In the next week or so, I'm going to try a test 40 mile run on a real bike to get a baseline. 

I am targeting Louisville, which puts me 26 weeks out starting Monday 2/27.  I'm planning on following the beginner IM plan on this site:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=441

I did have a couple quick questions:

1.  There are no explicit run/bike bricks that I've seen.  Is it assumed I will work them in (or discouraged)?  My understanding was that bricks were important?

2.  Is there another general "how to read the plan" article that I'm not finding?  I'm able to figure out most of the abbreviations/etc, but there are a couple things still unclear (like when to brick).

Thanks all, I look forward to learning a lot from all of you!

Shawn

2012-02-26 9:27 PM
in reply to: #4066917

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Hello! Intro and a training question
sureshoe - 2012-02-26 11:57 AM

1.  There are no explicit run/bike bricks that I've seen.  Is it assumed I will work them in (or discouraged)?  My understanding was that bricks were important?

It is useful to do a few bricks to work on pacing the run after the bike, which can be a little tricky.  (At the IM distance, many people tend to go too fast on the run after the bike.)  Bricks will also help you get used to the slightly weird feeling of running off the bike.  But there is no need to do a great many of them.  

2.  Is there another general "how to read the plan" article that I'm not finding?  I'm able to figure out most of the abbreviations/etc, but there are a couple things still unclear (like when to brick).

If the plan doesn't say to do a workout as a brick, then it doesn't intend that you do so.  But, sometimes real life has other ideas.  If you need to run immediately after the bike in order to get it all in that's fine.  If there are other aspects of the plan that aren't clear, post specifics and surely someone will chime in to clarify.

Good luck to you!  IMKY is a very fun race.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hello! Intro and a training question Rss Feed