General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM - translating workout nutrition to race day Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-27 7:29 PM

User image

Philadelphia
Subject: HIM - translating workout nutrition to race day

Hello experts,

I'm 8 weeks away from my first HIM and training is going awesome! I'm following the TriFuel intermediate plan, which is built in minutes, and am feeling great about how my workouts and my body are shaking out.

The one thing I still haven't sorted is knowing how to translate nutrition that works during 2-3 hr workouts to what I'll need to do on race day to maintain 6+ hours. My longest brick so far has been 3 hr bike + 15 min run. I feel great taking in my combination of water + Gatorade Pro + Gu during the 3-hour rides, (water & regular gatorade in my fuel belt jugs during long runs so far, 90 minutes-ish) so should I assume that I'll be fine maintaining my same regimen on race day? 

This is my biggest ?? area. Apologies if it's been covered ad nauseum here already - feel free to point me to a thread. Thank you in advance for advice!

2012-02-27 10:29 PM
in reply to: #4069581

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: HIM - translating workout nutrition to race day

What are the really big days the plan has coming up? Also curious if you've done any bricks with much longer runs after a bike (even though the total time would be less than the 3:15)?

Usually it's best to stick with what you know at this point. How much of each are you taking in now?

2012-02-28 9:28 AM
in reply to: #4069581

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: HIM - translating workout nutrition to race day

Odds are, you will be fine.  Keep testing it out, especially during long race-pace workouts.  Things can still happen on race day that impact your nutrition plan, but they tend not to be due to the nutrition itself (e.g., swallowing water on the swim, pacing too hard which makes digestion more difficult, heat which impacts fluid needs and digestion especially if pace is not moderated, etc.).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM - translating workout nutrition to race day Rss Feed