Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Gym\pool dilemma Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-28 5:57 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario
Subject: Gym\pool dilemma
I like the gym I go to because the pool is almost always empty (as is the rest of the gym). Since I joined it 3 years ago there have always been rumours of financial trouble and that the place could close. Its a chain with a bunch of locations across the province. In January they announced that the chain had been bought out and a new sign went up. This morning I went to swim, there was a sign on the door that all classes are cancelled and all of the instructors have resigned. I have auto withdrawal from my bank biweekly for my dues and I'm scared the place will close and they'll wipe out my bank account. My contract says I have to give 30 days notice to cancel my membership. I'm tempted to stop payment on there dues now and give them my cancellation letter tomorrow.........what would you do?

2012-02-28 5:59 PM
in reply to: #4071496

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Gym\pool dilemma

Cancel tomorrow & you still should get 30 more days at the gym...maybe ride it out that way??

Edited by RushTogether 2012-02-28 6:02 PM
2012-02-28 7:12 PM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah

cathyd - 2012-02-28 6:57 PM I like the gym I go to because the pool is almost always empty (as is the rest of the gym). Since I joined it 3 years ago there have always been rumours of financial trouble and that the place could close. Its a chain with a bunch of locations across the province. In January they announced that the chain had been bought out and a new sign went up. This morning I went to swim, there was a sign on the door that all classes are cancelled and all of the instructors have resigned. I have auto withdrawal from my bank biweekly for my dues and I'm scared the place will close and they'll wipe out my bank account. My contract says I have to give 30 days notice to cancel my membership. I'm tempted to stop payment on there dues now and give them my cancellation letter tomorrow.........what would you do?

They would have no legal right to wipe out your account if they would happen to close?  They probably should however start asking the members to sign a new contract with them instead of the previous owners even though all those accounts would have been sold to the new place anyways I would think they would want their own rules and policy's out there. Not knowing how long the gym had their instructors I am sure there will be a transition period and their employment structure sounds like it is definitely different then the previous owners, they also may have their own group of instructors they have been dealing with for years and plan to bring in.  I would talk to the new director to see their reasoning and what their plans are before jumping the gun espeically since you have stated "you like the gym"

2012-02-28 9:53 PM

User image

Regular
Barrie, Ontario, Canada

I work for a bank up here in Canada.  If a gym was to abuse the automatic debt service and take more than the historical amount, you would be able to call your bank and have them reverse the transaction.  I can't remember how many days you have recourse for but I think it is 3 to 7 days.   In Canada the body that sets the rules for this type of thing is the Canadian Payments Association.  You should ask your bank and inquire with what ever body regulates these types of things (if it exists in the USA) to see what protection you have.

Edit:  I just noticed you are from Ontario so you are in good shape.  Keep an eye on you bank account online and you'll be OK.

Edited by Mrdaner 2012-02-28 9:54 PM
2012-02-29 6:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON

mdraner could correct me...but in Ontario, you can call your bank and stop any automatic withdrawl immediately.  There is usually a few dollar service fee but they will block whomever from withdrawling money anymore. 

Also, you are entitled to get your money back on auto withdrawls within 30 or 60 days...the bank will refund it but always recommend you go to the merchant first, but if you couldn't resolve it with them, they would then proceed with the refund.....when I was in a similar situation, this is what my bank advised.  That was CIBC. I'm sure all the banks have similar or same policies though.

Good luck...maybe the change is for good?  You never know...

2012-02-29 8:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Depending on whether your contract states specifically that you'll pay via autopay, you could stop the payment and include your last month's dues in the form of a check with your cancellation notice.

Even if it does state you'll pay electronically, I doubt they would waste the effort of doing anything about it. They'd likely cash your check and move along as it sounds like they have plenty of issues to deal with.

2012-03-01 4:39 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Is the pool closed then?  If not, just give your 30 days notice and cancel the auto withdrawal effective immediately.  Tell them you'll pay the last two withdrawals via check or credit card.  Then you've got 30 days to find a new pool and facility.
2012-03-01 6:50 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

If you like the gym, I'd ride it out. As others have mentioned, you have protections with your bank and credit card company. If the pool is still open and they offer what you want out of the gym, you didn't mention if you took any of the classes that are canceled, I'd just keep going and see what happens. Since they hung a new sign, I'd take that to mean they plan to stay open.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Gym\pool dilemma Rss Feed