ITU / USAT
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 42m 47s
Overall Rank = 297/819
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 35/77
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:45, 2 waffles, milk & OJ. Had to park in Waikiki due to street closures and walk .75m to Majic Island / Ala Moano Beach park. Bike was already racked from mandatory staging yesterday. Just hung out taking it all in. National anthem at 5:45, men's elite start at 06:00, women's elite 06:05, then age groups every 2 minutes. Men's 40-44 start was about 6:20.
Event warmup:

A little stretching and the walk from parking lot.
Swim
  • 34m 28s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 18s / 100 meters
Comments:

Really tried to concentrate on front quadrant swimming, and side to side rolling, high elbow recovery. Lots of bodies mixing it up. Felt like i did some zig zagging trying to site the bouys. They had a bouy every 100m, so that really helped with the navg. Had to stop three times to clear the water from my googles. Though I was going to get a headache from the swim cap tightness.
What would you do differently?:

I would have liked to have made 30" swim, but with the amount of people and ocean water......i'm okay with it.
Transition 1
  • 04m 14s
Comments:

Had to run up the beach and around to the back of the transition area. Sat down, rinsed legs and feet, put socks and bike shoes on, loaded up some gels and cough drops / gum, drank some gatoraid, and set off for the bike exit.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 29s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.15 mile/hr
Comments:

A few quartering crosswinds in the Ewa bound direction, headwinds coming back, especially back up Lagoon Dr and the final 4 miles on Ala Moana. My hip joints started a dull ache about one hour into the ride, so i was glad it was over.

Nothing, with only averaging 1 or 2 days a week for bike training, and they're usually in the 15-20 mile range (i bike while my kids are napping for an hour), I was hoping to keep a 20 mph avg for the 40K distance. Happy with my time.
Transition 2
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

Changed socks again before putting on tennis shoes for the run. Didn't want to start out in wet socks.
Run
  • 51m 22s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew my knees would be hurting running on all asphalt / concrete, so I wore a knee brace on my chronic sore knee. Hips were also hurting some, so I just ran a comfortable pace. Was hoping to stay under 8"/mile avg, but I wasn't out to win the race, so I just ran what was comfortable to me on this day.

More longer distance runs. I haven't run more than 4 or 5 miles since completing the 16 wk OLY plan back in March.
Post race
Warm down:

Lot's of water, bread, fruit and gatoraid. I left before all the festivities, awards, etc....... It's mother's day and i wanted to get home ASAP to be with the best MOM there is.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of any real distance training the past two months. Mostly I've been running 5K or interval / fartleks, only 500-1000m swims, and 25 miles per weekend on the bike. I've been doing mostly overall fitness workouts focusing on getting some size / strength back on that I've lost the past 8 months doing the triathlon thing.

Event comments:

There were athletes from over 70 countries reprensented at the Honolulu Triathlon today. My goal was to break 3 hours / my first OLY distance tri. So, I was pleased with my performance. I'm thankful the Good Lord above has blessed me with the opportunity to live in Hawaii, have a healthy body, and a wonderful family to even say I've completed 6 triathlons now since Oct 2005.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-01-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:28 | 1500 meters | 02m 18s / 100meters
Age Group: 51/77
Overall: 421/819
Performance: Average
Suit: Not Allowed
Course: Swim 1.5K Swim Course - The Age Group Swim has been moved to the beautiful beaches of Ala Moana Park. This very safe 1,500 meter swim will be a single loop course that will take athletes along the shore for great spectator viewing. The swim course will be monitored by life guards, jet skis, kayakers and boats.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:14
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:10:29 | 24.85 miles | 21.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 37/77
Overall: 267/819
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Bike 40K Bike Course - The 40K Bike Course will start from the transition area in Ala Moana Park. Cyclist will head out onto Ala Moana Blvd. and ride to the Nimitiz Highway and then head to the Kamehameha Highway. Athletes will make a u-turn before Arizona Blvd. and head back east on the Kamehameha Highway which will take them back under the viaduct where competitors will make a right turn onto Lagoon Drive. Once on Lagoon Drive competitors will ride a simple out and back on that 2.3 mile section of roadway before turning right back onto the Kam Highway and under the viaduct. Athletes will continue to ride under the viaduct until they reach the Nimitz Highway and onto Ala Moana Blvd. as they head back to the transition area. Note: Race management will provide mobile bike support on sections of this 40K course. Should you need assistance, please be patient until bike support arrives.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:51:22 | 06.21 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/77
Overall: 238/819
Performance: Below average
Course: Run 10K Run Course - The run course will run a double loop course in the area around Ala Moana Park. Competitors will exit transition and head north towards Ala Moana Blvd. exiting the park at the eastern end. The run course will then head west on Ala Moana Blvd. until reaching Cooke St, where it will turn right. Runners will head up Cooke briefly before making a U-turn and returning. The U-turn to begin the second loop will be at the far end of Ala Moana park where they exited to start the run. The second loop of the course will mimic the first, turning into the park after the second loop is completed. The final section of the course passes transition, and finishes on the grass in Magic Island Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-15 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
Subject: Honolulu Triathlon

2006-05-15 12:27 PM
in reply to: #424120

Regular
Subject: RE: Honolulu Triathlon
Congratulations on a great race!
2006-05-15 7:34 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
hey, sounds like a great time. Congrats on finishing your first Oly, that is really something. It looks like a cool race to be apart of, perhaps next year for me!
Well done mate!!
2006-05-16 10:31 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Solid race results, my friend, solid. While your bike was smokin', your run times are particularly good b/c you had to really use your legs on the bike to maintain that type of speed.

Congrats.

2006-05-17 1:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane

Super fast time and great report.

Loved the pics, you look very happy and it looked like the perfect day for a tri.

Well done!!

2006-07-29 12:06 PM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
You are a star. I was watching the running show on the Yes Network and they had the Honolulu Triathlon and I saw the BT uniform. They were interviewing finishers and you said "great race" Good Job on the race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Honolulu Triathlon Rss Feed