General Discussion Triathlon Talk » advice or experience: considering taking two weeks off running in middle of first HIM training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-29 7:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: advice or experience: considering taking two weeks off running in middle of first HIM training

Here is a quick background:  4th tri season for me.  training for 1st half iron.  I am in week 5 of 20 week plan that has me running 4x/wk.  I developed some foot issues and have seen two podiatrists.  Neither said stop running and am seeing one again for a gait analysis review and possibly new orthotics.  Best way to describe the foot pain would be symptoms of metatarsalgia but under the fifth metatarsal head. 

I took 6 days off running 2 weeks ago and while my foot felt a little better the pain/discomfort came back.  I was thinking of taking 2 straight weeks off running to see if I can knock this out.  I am already  committed to the HIM which is in mid June. 

Any ideas on what this will do to my running fitness.  I am a slow but steady guy on the run. Mainly train in the 10-11 min mile pace.  And was hoping for that in the half.  My running base for the last year was 3x per week from 3/11-10/11. 6x per week 10/11-new year and 4x per week 1/12 to now.

Pool running probably can't happen.  Have access to elliptical but not sure I should use it if I am trying to heal my foot. 

Thoughts on the effect of no running and my HIM plan?

Edited by tallvinny 2012-02-29 7:36 PM

2012-02-29 8:12 PM
in reply to: #4073942

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: advice or experience: considering taking two weeks off running in middle of first HIM training
Well if you aren't going to run, then swim and bike A LOT.

If you can't run, you can't run. While it's not a great thing to have happen... you can work around it. Focus on having a great swim and bike. When you can run again, run. Run slowly and take it easy. Maybe think about doing a lot of short runs and creating volume like that?

For my first HIM I couldn't run the entire month before the race. So I didn't. On race day I walked and ran some. I gutted it out, but kept a smile on my face.

You take what your body gives you and you work around it. Good luck!

2012-02-29 8:20 PM
in reply to: #4073942

Subject: RE: advice or experience: considering taking two weeks off running in middle of first HIM training

Under trained is way better than injured.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » advice or experience: considering taking two weeks off running in middle of first HIM training Rss Feed