Set-up Inc.
49F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 24m 59s
Overall Rank = 220/313
Age Group = Men
Age Group Rank = 220/313
Pre-race routine:

Clif bar for bfast on the way to the race. Set up transition. Jump up and down like crazy to try and warm up.
Event warmup:

100 yd spin on the bike to make sure it still worked, 100 yard jog to make sure the legs still worked and then a quick dive into the water to see what it felt like and to get some water in the wetsuit.
Swim
  • 16m 59s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started in back of the second wave and struggled to find room to swim for first couple hundred meters. Once I moved to the outside and got space started passing a lot of people. After the final turn I tried to follow someone who was headed off course and went way off course myself so put in a little extra distance as a result. Breathing was labored the whole time, I think as a result of all the struggles at the start.
What would you do differently?:

I may try to start near the front next time to try and find clear water faster and get in a groove. When in doubt on the sighting, stop swimming and lift head up to see where I'm headed - don't keep swimming the wrong direction like a dumb-ass.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Got the wetsuit stuck on my foot and had to sit down and work it a while to get the d&%n thing off! Also, my jersey got stuck when I tried to put it on since I was wet.

Figure out how to get the wetsuit off better.
Bike
  • 38m 13s
  • 11 miles
  • 17.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Never felt like I had my wind on the ride since I came out of the water huffing. Had a hard time drinking and didn't take the GU I planned on because of it. At times I felt like I was pushing but towards the last 3rd of the ride started to feel more comfortable. At one point I struggled to catch an 11 year old girl - humiliating - but finally did and fortunately she never caught me back. Even though I never felt good, this was the strongest bike split I've had yet.

Warm up on the bike more before the swim. It took me too long to get warmed up and comfortable and was never able to hit a groove. Also, maybe work a little less on the swim so I'm not so winded starting the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Got confused on where to dismount which resulted in an errant stop about 50 feet too earlier. Also struggled with the aero bars and getting the bike on and off the rack.

Walk the complete transition before the race to make sure I know exactly where both mount and dismount lines are.
Run
  • 25m 51s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Got passed a ton on the first mile of the run, but felt like I was at a good pace and getting the legs under me. Felt really good on the last mile and passed several people. Didn't stop for any water. My fastest run split yet.

nothing but train more to get faster.
Post race
Warm down:

get a water and find the wife and kids to get hugs. Pack it up and then go to Zaxby's to gorge myself on chicken fingers when done.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Should have warmed up more, eaten better leading up to the race and not left so much wind in the water.

Event comments:

Good challenging race. Good course to "race". Well organized and competitive field. Liked the collegiate presence and, being a dawg, loved seeing the UGA tri club out there en masse. No overall or age group results were posted - that and having them in a spreadsheet would have been nice.

Last updated: 2006-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:59 | 820 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 136/313
Overall: 136/313
Performance: Average
Suit: full ironman
Course: clockwise rectangle. Swim was delayed by 10min due to fog over the lake. It was freezing and foggy right up until the start and then all of a sudden the fog was gone and it started warming up like crazy - great racing weather!
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:13 | 11 miles | 17.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 230/313
Overall: 230/313
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: constant rolling hills but none that were that big. Downhill start was nice. Some good sightseeing for small portions of the course. Cars weren't too prevalent and turns were well marked and guarded by police.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:51 | 03.11 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 234/313
Overall: 234/313
Performance: Good
Course: downhill start and then shortly after a flat at the bottom of the downhill a MAJOR uphill where I was running but felt like I was walking. Fortunately it wasn't a long uphill. After the hill it was a short way across the levee to the turnaround and then down the big hill and then the gradual uphill back to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes