Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-05-16 2:57 PM
in reply to: #425426

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Domestic Surveilance Part 2
mr2tony - 2006-05-16 3:34 PM
Exactly. Except the police need a warrant to do that. And I'm not a criminal so why am I being treated like one? At least with the police they need a reason and a warrant to lock you up. The administration doesn't even need that, and that's what I have a problem with.

I don't believe the police need a warrant to get your phone records. Besides, look at this article:

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2005/11/its_actually_ob.html#posts
And this:
http://www.qando.net/details.aspx?Entry=3267

For those in Canada, you're not safe either:
http://www.cippic.ca/en/faqs-resources/lawful-access/

And the best one is this:
http://www.legalaffairs.org/issues/July-August-2003/feature_koerner...

That last one deals with GPS-enabled phones, and tracking your whereabouts.

As for locking people up, what's the count? 1,000? 2,000? 5,000? According to a Reuters article, the number is less than 800, and they are all foreign nationals.

2006-05-16 3:10 PM
in reply to: #424839

User image

Master
Denver
Well I don't want to get into the whole warrantless spying-due-process-torture debates. If you are unfamiliar I can point you to some sources. suffice it to say that I see it as a slippery slope that without any oversight it is easy for the government to go down. Its not a far stretch for me - one day they find a pattern in your phone calls and the next you are at an indisclosed location in Europe. History is littered with abuses of power
2006-05-16 3:23 PM
in reply to: #425506

User image

Runner
drewb8 - 2006-05-16 4:10 PM

Well I don't want to get into the whole warrantless spying-due-process-torture debates. If you are unfamiliar I can point you to some sources. suffice it to say that I see it as a slippery slope that without any oversight it is easy for the government to go down. Its not a far stretch for me - one day they find a pattern in your phone calls and the next you are at an indisclosed location in Europe. History is littered with abuses of power

Isn't this whole thread about warrantless spying?

Besides, those articles dealt more with local government and police, and not the NSA. Or what the average person with internet access can do. Why is no one railing against those abuses? If you are going to stand for abuse of access to data, then stand the whole way and not let ANYONE get it.
2006-05-16 3:44 PM
in reply to: #425533

User image

Master
Denver
Scout7 - 2006-05-16 2:23 PM

drewb8 - 2006-05-16 4:10 PM

Isn't this whole thread about warrantless spying?

Besides, those articles dealt more with local government and police, and not the NSA. Or what the average person with internet access can do. Why is no one railing against those abuses? If you are going to stand for abuse of access to data, then stand the whole way and not let ANYONE get it.

Well yes and no. The phone # data mining is a seperate program from the warrantless spying but they are both run by the NSA. Basically my concerns are:

1) There is no or very little oversight of the programs so I worry about the govm't abusing this power and using them to usurp rights and,

2) whenever the admin talks about these programs they say "trust us" and "no, we're not doing that", then we later find out they are, which is why I worry about #1.
2006-05-16 3:59 PM
in reply to: #425574

User image

Runner
drewb8 - 2006-05-16 4:44 PM
Well yes and no. The phone # data mining is a seperate program from the warrantless spying but they are both run by the NSA. Basically my concerns are:

1) There is no or very little oversight of the programs so I worry about the govm't abusing this power and using them to usurp rights and,

2) whenever the admin talks about these programs they say "trust us" and "no, we're not doing that", then we later find out they are, which is why I worry about #1.

Oversight as in the Senate committee that everyone has been complaining was bypassed, but generally rubberstamps such requests? Would you agree that the committee may have had a hand in setting a certain precedent? I mean, if someone continuously approves whatever you ask, when do you just take matters into your own hands?

Admittedly, things would be great if all our government officials were honest and upfront about everything they did. But, they aren't. Is debate such as this healthy? Surely, because it allows us to "keep tabs" on our government as well.
2006-05-16 4:18 PM

User image

Master
Denver
It sounds to me like the briefings the comittee got were not sufficient to make judgements about the programs and when they were the committee members were told they couldn't discuss it with anyone or ask any questions. For not pushing to learn more I blame the commmittees (although I also think they probably wilfully wanted to stay in the dark somewhat), but I think the admin would have done this no matter whether it was rubber stamped or not.

But yes, I definatly agree that this is a healthy discussion to be having.

2006-05-16 4:24 PM
in reply to: #425186

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
tmwelshy - 2006-05-16 12:12 PM

It's my considered opinion that Bush bites my asshole.

I've considered your considered opinion.  And I concur.

2006-05-16 5:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Provo, UT (my heart is in Seattle)
You know who the real failures are here? Congress and the Supreme Court. I personally think that many people would agree that Bush has screwed quite a bit up. I'm not proBush, but I do think that most people that faced the problems Bush has faced would mess things up as well, maybe not as bad as George, but we would find lots of reasons to criticize.

Unfortunately, while Georgie boy has bungled up lots of stuff while in office, the other two branches have messed things up just as much. It is the duty of each branch of government to stop the other branches from grabbing too much power. That's the idea of checks and balances. However, neither the Legislature nor the Supreme Court has really made any strong attempts to curb the Executive branch as Bush, the NSA, the attorney general, etc... have made continuous power grabs and have expanded the role of the executive branch. We have a great chance in November to change that though by electing officials that will actually hold the executive branch responsible for its actions, rather than just cry about it to the media (do the names Hillary Clinton and John McCain ring a bell?) while they prepare to campaign for their run at the presidency.

Those are my .02, well, maybe it's more like my .01

2006-05-16 5:06 PM
in reply to: #425670

User image

Master
Denver
Drewwhite - 2006-05-16 4:01 PM

You know who the real failures are here? Congress and the Supreme Court. I personally think that many people would agree that Bush has screwed quite a bit up. I'm not proBush, but I do think that most people that faced the problems Bush has faced would mess things up as well, maybe not as bad as George, but we would find lots of reasons to criticize.

Unfortunately, while Georgie boy has bungled up lots of stuff while in office, the other two branches have messed things up just as much. It is the duty of each branch of government to stop the other branches from grabbing too much power. That's the idea of checks and balances. However, neither the Legislature nor the Supreme Court has really made any strong attempts to curb the Executive branch as Bush, the NSA, the attorney general, etc... have made continuous power grabs and have expanded the role of the executive branch. We have a great chance in November to change that though by electing officials that will actually hold the executive branch responsible for its actions, rather than just cry about it to the media (do the names Hillary Clinton and John McCain ring a bell?) while they prepare to campaign for their run at the presidency.

yup.
2006-05-16 5:53 PM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa

OK...so maybe all the phone surveillance is a bad idea (I guess).  What do we do to insure that the world never has to see pics of people falling from terrorist bombed buildings again?  How soon we forget....

...I was going to post one; but thought better of it... 

Edited by shawn barr 2006-05-16 5:54 PM
2006-05-16 8:09 PM
in reply to: #425731

User image

Master
Denver
shawn barr - 2006-05-16 4:53 PM

OK...so maybe all the phone surveillance is a bad idea (I guess).  What do we do to insure that the world never has to see pics of people falling from terrorist bombed buildings again?  How soon we forget....

The surveillance isn't a bad idea, doing it without any oversight/warrants is.

2006-05-17 6:43 AM
in reply to: #425822

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
drewb8 - 2006-05-16 8:09 PM
shawn barr - 2006-05-16 4:53 PM

The surveillance isn't a bad idea, doing it without any oversight/warrants is.

It sounds like an attempt was made to inform congress of the nature of this surveillance: 

Article quote "....Justice Department spokeswoman Tasia Scolinos emphasized Thursday that the administration briefed members of Congress on the NSA's collection of phone records. "

It also sounds like there is some court precedence that has allowed this type of thing in the past...the article notes a 1979 ruling.....

"The NSA apparently has not collected the actual content of the phone conversations, just the numbers dialed. That distinction is key in determining whether the program violates the Fourth Amendment, which protects people from unreasonable government searches and seizures....

" The U.S. Supreme Court has drawn a legal line between collecting phone numbers and routing information, and obtaining the content of phone calls. In a ruling in 1979, the court said in Smith v. Maryland that a phone company's installation, at police request, of a device to record numbers dialed at a home did not violate the Fourth Amendment......"

My point is that some radical actions must be necessary  to prevent 9/11 type attacks in the future.  Should they be legal...of course ( it looks like there's some question on both sides about this particular activity....legal points both ways).  What would it taken to have prevent the World Trade Center bombings?  I don't know.  But I'm sure communication surveillance probably would have played a part.  If it would have prevented it I'm all for it (within the law of course)....

Edited by shawn barr 2006-05-17 6:45 AM
2006-05-17 6:48 AM
in reply to: #425670

User image

Runner
Drewwhite - 2006-05-16 6:01 PM

Reading that makes me realize why news articles like the one originally posted about irritate me so dang much. Because everyone want sto criticize ONE PERSON for every fault. I will not say the President is perfect, nor will I say he is blameless. HOWEVER, i wish people would start to focus on the long-running errors of Congress, mostly because those guys get elected time after time after time. How long was Strom Thurmond in office? A president holds office max 8 years, then we have to pick a new one. Representatives are elected every 2 years. Yet we still struggle getting incumbents out, regardless of the job they do.
2006-05-17 6:54 AM
in reply to: #426010

User image

Giver

Scout7 - 2006-05-17 7:48 AM Because everyone want sto criticize ONE PERSON for every fault.

The thing is that while Congress has certainly screwed stuff up, but exactly how many times has W. vetoed any of the bills they've passed? That's right. Never.

He's a rubber-stamp President and while that's great if you're a majority-party congressman, it sucks for the rest of us who kind of like our checks-and-balances.

2006-05-17 7:08 AM
in reply to: #426011

User image

Runner
run4yrlif - 2006-05-17 7:54 AM

Scout7 - 2006-05-17 7:48 AM Because everyone want sto criticize ONE PERSON for every fault.

The thing is that while Congress has certainly screwed stuff up, but exactly how many times has W. vetoed any of the bills they've passed? That's right. Never.

He's a rubber-stamp President and while that's great if you're a majority-party congressman, it sucks for the rest of us who kind of like our checks-and-balances.

Ok......so now we blame the President for the issues we have in Congress to, because he hasn't vetoed them?

Besides, the fact is that we blame the President for the war, when Congress certainly seemed hell-bent on going too. Oh wait, that dummy Bush was just sooooo crafty to trick every single member of government into following him....Riiiiiight. He's either an idiot (as most people seem to claim) and we have no one to really blame but ourselves for electing him twice, and Congress for not being responsible in terms of passing legislature that would make an actual difference, or he's so smart he fooled an entire nation. Several times. Which is do you feel is more accurate?
2006-05-17 7:18 AM
in reply to: #426016

User image

Giver

Scout7 - 2006-05-17 8:08 AM  Ok......so now we blame the President for the issues we have in Congress to, because he hasn't vetoed them? Besides, the fact is that we blame the President for the war, when Congress certainly seemed hell-bent on going too. Oh wait, that dummy Bush was just sooooo crafty to trick every single member of government into following him....Riiiiiight. He's either an idiot (as most people seem to claim) and we have no one to really blame but ourselves for electing him twice, and Congress for not being responsible in terms of passing legislature that would make an actual difference, or he's so smart he fooled an entire nation. Several times. Which is do you feel is more accurate?

My point is that by never, ever excersising his veto power, he's in effect Congress's whipping boy. He doesn't need to impose his will on them. He's saying to them do whatever the f*ck you want, I won't stand in your way. In a way, it's like abdication of power.

2006-05-17 7:20 AM
in reply to: #425731

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
shawn barr - 2006-05-16 6:53 PM

I don't believe anyone has forgotten 911. Nor have we forgotten The KGB, Gestapo, Tiennenman Square, McCarthyism Black List, or any other over reaching effort of a government to restrict the freedoms of the people.  Fight any war you have to but my freedom/privacy will not be a casualty.
btw heard a Admin lackey aka Dir of Home Sec defending this practice yesterday. He assured us that they wern't collecting names just tele  numbers. Duh.
2006-05-17 7:33 AM
in reply to: #426020

User image

Runner
run4yrlif - 2006-05-17 8:18 AM

My point is that by never, ever excersising his veto power, he's in effect Congress's whipping boy. He doesn't need to impose his will on them. He's saying to them do whatever the f*ck you want, I won't stand in your way. In a way, it's like abdication of power.

Similar to the way the Senate Intelligence Committee rubber-stamped all those requests, thereby setting a precedent that said, "Do whatever you want, we won't stand in your way"?
2006-05-17 7:40 AM
in reply to: #426035

User image

Giver
Scout7 - 2006-05-17 8:33 AM

Similar to the way the Senate Intelligence Committee rubber-stamped all those requests, thereby setting a precedent that said, "Do whatever you want, we won't stand in your way"?

Pretty much.

2006-05-17 8:06 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

I'm not going to comment on the surveillance itself, but wether it's justifiable or warranted or not here's why I believe the furor over it is a good thing:

It show this and future administrations that there are lots of Americans who are very jealous of their privacy and personal security. It serves as a reminder that the American people will not accept a pat on the head and a "we know what's best for you, now run along" attitude from our leaders and that we harbor a basic, healthy skepticism towards those who hold power in our name.

Without the willingness to say to the government "Now hold on a second, run that by me again", the ability to say it disappears. Complacency corrodes liberty.

2006-05-17 8:10 AM
in reply to: #426036

User image

Runner
run4yrlif - 2006-05-17 8:40 AM

Scout7 - 2006-05-17 8:33 AM

Pretty much.

Then why do I only ever hear complaints about the President and his administration, and NOTHING about Congress's role in all of this? Every problem is the administration, nothing about the longer-running fools in the legislative branch that have allowed such things to happen. Where's the outrage there? If you're going to throw blame and accusations around, let's look beyond the most public of people, and get to the real meat and potatoes.

2006-05-17 8:52 AM
in reply to: #426025

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
gullahcracker - 2006-05-17 7:20 AM
shawn barr - 2006-05-16 6:53 PM

I don't believe anyone has forgotten 911. Nor have we forgotten The KGB, Gestapo, Tiennenman Square, McCarthyism Black List, or any other over reaching effort of a government to restrict the freedoms of the people.  Fight any war you have to but my freedom/privacy will not be a casualty.
btw heard a Admin lackey aka Dir of Home Sec defending this practice yesterday. He assured us that they wern't collecting names just tele  numbers. Duh.

I don't think anyone wants our freedoms or liberties restricted.  My point is that preventing 9/11 type terrorist attacks is not easy.  Surveillance (legal) will probably have to play a part.  And as I noted above, there is legal precedence for this type of activity as mentioned in the article.

2006-05-17 8:56 AM
in reply to: #426063

User image

Giver

Scout7 - 2006-05-17 9:10 AM  Then why do I only ever hear complaints about the President and his administration, and NOTHING about Congress's role in all of this? Every problem is the administration, nothing about the longer-running fools in the legislative branch that have allowed such things to happen. Where's the outrage there? If you're going to throw blame and accusations around, let's look beyond the most public of people, and get to the real meat and potatoes.

It's funny. I hear lots about congress and their screw ups. How, for instance, for a republican congress, they've passed more pork than any previous democratic congress.

But ultimately, the POTUS *is* responsible---he's the boss. ANd that's why you hear most of the anger directed toward him (IMO).

2006-05-17 9:13 AM
in reply to: #426116

User image

Runner
run4yrlif - 2006-05-17 9:56 AM

Scout7 - 2006-05-17 9:10 AM Then why do I only ever hear complaints about the President and his administration, and NOTHING about Congress's role in all of this? Every problem is the administration, nothing about the longer-running fools in the legislative branch that have allowed such things to happen. Where's the outrage there? If you're going to throw blame and accusations around, let's look beyond the most public of people, and get to the real meat and potatoes.

It's funny. I hear lots about congress and their screw ups. How, for instance, for a republican congress, they've passed more pork than any previous democratic congress.

But ultimately, the POTUS *is* responsible---he's the boss. ANd that's why you hear most of the anger directed toward him (IMO).

So, POTUS is the ultimate decision maker, and all ultimate responsibility rests on his shoulders. So, what happened to the checks and balances? The point of our system is that ultimate responsibility does NOT rest solely on one person's shoulders.

I think anger rests on him because the majority of people take what the journalists tell them at face value. And who do the journalists target most often? The most visible individual, i.e. the President. I think personal politics come into play much more often than we realize. The majority of reporters tend towards the Democratic party, so we hear alot more negative undertones when discussing a Republican President or Congress.
2006-05-17 9:20 AM
in reply to: #426133

User image

Giver

Scout7 - 2006-05-17 10:13 AM  So, POTUS is the ultimate decision maker, and all ultimate responsibility rests on his shoulders. So, what happened to the checks and balances? The point of our system is that ultimate responsibility does NOT rest solely on one person's shoulders. I think anger rests on him because the majority of people take what the journalists tell them at face value. And who do the journalists target most often? The most visible individual, i.e. the President. I think personal politics come into play much more often than we realize. The majority of reporters tend towards the Democratic party, so we hear alot more negative undertones when discussing a Republican President or Congress.

Here's how it works:

• Congress has the authority to pass any law it sees fit.
  • The POTUS has the power to veto any law passed by Congress.
  • The courts have the power to nullify any law based on constitutionality.

SO: the POTUS has ultimate responsibility for any action taken; no action at the Federal level can be taken without his authority. Granted, he can't take any action unless Congress puts it before him (excersizing "Presidential authority" notwhithstanding).

When you have a Republican congress, a republican President and a majority of the SCOTUS appointed by republicans, yes, the checks and balances does kind of go out the window.

Maybe there should be a law...

Edited by run4yrlif 2006-05-17 9:22 AM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Domestic Surveilance Part 2 Rss Feed  

of 3