General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Illinois age group swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-05 11:23 AM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: Illinois age group swimming
I'm looking to get my son started on a competitive swim team for the summer.  Can anyone recommend a good age group program?  He's 6, and is a pretty good freestyler/backstroker already.  My ex lives in Naperville and I am moving to the city, so anywhere between the two would be a good location for us.  Thanks!

2012-03-05 2:45 PM
in reply to: #4080860

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Illinois age group swimming

For summer, look at local park district programs.  Could be a good way to ease him in to it.  The age groupers just finished up the main season, there is some long course starting soon, but may not be best thing to drop a 6 yr old right in to.  Problably better to do something low key and get used to practice workouts and learn a little breast and fly.

At 6, look at YMCA, many of them have 6 and under bracket.  USA teams only 8 and under and it may be tough for him since he will be smallest.  But, there is a real good USA team out of UIC called CWAC.  Naperville has a team called Mavericks I think.  I believe the Y out there also has a team.

2012-03-06 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4081327

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
ChicagoMan65 - 2012-03-05 1:45 PM

For summer, look at local park district programs.  Could be a good way to ease him in to it.  The age groupers just finished up the main season, there is some long course starting soon, but may not be best thing to drop a 6 yr old right in to.  Problably better to do something low key and get used to practice workouts and learn a little breast and fly.

At 6, look at YMCA, many of them have 6 and under bracket.  USA teams only 8 and under and it may be tough for him since he will be smallest.  But, there is a real good USA team out of UIC called CWAC.  Naperville has a team called Mavericks I think.  I believe the Y out there also has a team.

Thanks- he'll be 7 in April.  I started swimming competitively @ 8, so I'm sure he's ready for an 8 & Under AG spot.  He's pretty fast already (I'm a former collegiate swimmer so it's in his blood Checked out the Mavericks, North Central also has a team too. 

2012-03-10 6:11 AM
in reply to: #4080860

Hinsdale has a team that we are looking at for our 7 y.o. daughter. We are not sure yet as they practice 3 times a week. A couple of our neighbors kids are on the team. I will get the name and send it out
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Illinois age group swimming Rss Feed