General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training during pregnancy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-16 4:19 PM

User image

Regular
Montgomery County, PA
Subject: Training during pregnancy
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself and ask for some help from all the mothers or mothers-to-be. I am a former high school and college athlete but have been rather stagnant for the past couple of years. I decided to train for a triathlon because of my sister. Training has been going well but I recently found out I am pregnant with twins. The doctor said it is alright to continue with my training but I am nervous. I have decided to hold off on my first tri until next summer but I would like to continue with my workout program. For those of you that have been through this already, I would really appreciate any tips or guidelines that you used during your pregnancy. Thanks for your help!
Erin

2006-05-16 5:24 PM
in reply to: #425620

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Training during pregnancy
WOW! Twins!

You really need to work closely with your Dr. on what you have planned as far as training, and then ask him/her what is doable.

So, I guess you want to compete after the babies are born? Right?

You will have a few months to get back in shape, I hope. I also hope you have a strong support system to help you take care of 2 little babies. Training takes up a lot of time.

Best of luck!

2006-05-16 6:12 PM

User image

Regular
Lake Zurich, il
My husband actively participates in this forum, but he thought that I could respond to your question since I am a runner and a mom of three kids (1,3 & 5). Fortunately, the guidelines for exercise during pregnancy have changed. So, you don't have to worry about your heart rate. The rule of thumb is to go by how you are feeling. If you are out of breathe, too hot or dizzy, you should stop. Believe me, your body will tell you!

I did some running initially, and I know women that have run through their seventh month. To be honest, after that, it can difficult to keep running. You probably will feel like dead weight. Rather than running during this time, I used the eliptical trainer and weights. Swimming is an excellent exercise during pregancy because the cool water keeps your core temperature down- which is good for the baby.

I worked out up until I gave birth. I had healthy babies and my endurance for labor was good. I recovered quickly and got back to my pre-pregnancy weight quickly. Post-partum is harder, I think. Your body will go through a lot of changes (breast engorgement, bleeding, etc.) So, give yourself some rest those first few weeks. It will take a while to feel comfortable.

So, feel confident in your body's ability to give you the hints that you are pushing it too hard. Enjoy your pregnancy and good luck!
2006-05-16 6:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Good advice from altpdr.

I also excercised throughout pregnancy but I didn't compete at all. I didn't trust myself that I could hold back enough. Also, I wasn't doing tri's back then - but I had been doing some mtn bike racing.

I did moderate excercise throughout - lots of walking, aquaerobics, yoga, ballet, biking(until the 6th month), XC skiing. What surprised me the most was that for about 2 weeks during the 5th month, I was so TIRED and would get out of breath even walking. I think the baby was growing fast then and my circulatory system was struggling to keep up with the increases. But from 6th to 8th month, I was back to feeling strong. The last few weeks were hard in that I felt huge and unwieldy. I was 2 weeks late and that wears on your nerves.

Just take it easy and you will be fine.
2006-05-16 6:33 PM

User image

Milwaukee, WI

I have a friend who's workmate did an Ironman after she just found out she was preg.  She completed it in like 18 hours and apparently the child is fine.  I thought it was a bit wreckless, but I'm not a prude, it's her body...  At the same time though I believe our bodies are much more adaptive than we tend to think.  If the doc says cool, then go for it.

Good luck.

A

2006-05-16 6:40 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
ACOG (American College of Obstretricians and Gynecologists)   has some good guidlelines...Check out their website.  There is a Dr. From Case Western Reserve University (sorry blanking on his name) ooo James Clapp...thats it...just goggle him and I am sure you will come up with lots of info and papers on the subject.  He has done some good work RE:exercise during pregnancy.   The fitter you are before pregnancy the more you can tolerate.  

2006-05-16 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

First off congratulations Erin on both your pregnancy and decided to train for a tri.  My tri season has ended this year before my first scheduled race since I found out I am pregnant.  I thought about still doing the race but the bike course is a crowded course, although it has been safe in previous years I didn't want to take a chance this year.

My Dr. also told me it is okay to still train/workout during the pregnancy.  What she said is if I was already doing it to keep doing it but don't up the workouts (ie don't go longer than I'm use to). 

I'm not doing any speed workouts or hill repeats as there is no reason to.  So I'm exercising when I have the energy (I had no energy the second month so I took most of it off).  I'm going for a very easy 55 mile bike ride on Sunday for the Tour de Cure and that will be my last long bike out on the road, I plan to ride on the trainer during the summer.  I plan on running as long as I can, swimming until the end and weights as long as I can.  When I stop running I take up walking. 

What I hear from most already mothers is that your body will tell you when to stop and what not to do.  Like around week 6 my (upper) body told me not to run, once I got use to it I was okay.

Good luck in your pregnancy and your training.

By the way how far along are you/when are you due?

Sheri 

2006-05-16 9:41 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I was a lazy slug when I was pregnant so I can't give you any advice there...but congrats your your twin pregnancy!!

We have twins who just turned 17 plus 3 more kids...twins are awesome...each time we adopted (last 3 kids) we asked for twins...but we were only blessed with twins once.

2006-05-16 9:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Congratulations!!

I swam about 3-4 x week throughout my first pregnancy, including the day I went into labour. I felt wonderful and had a great cheering section at the early morning swims with all the older women there. They were more interested in my growing belly than their swims I think! I found the boyancy in the water to be easy on the ligaments and joints, and since the water is cool, it kept my body temp from getting too high too quickly. Also, most people's max hr is much lower swimming than running, so it does not stress the circulatory system in the same way - which is already working overtime.  (Not to suggest that running with it's generally higher max hr is not also good while pregnant - I just was not much of a runner at that time)  My son seemed to enjoy the pool time too!

I continued to bike for the first several months since it was my only mode of transportation, but found it hard to get the energy to bike home after work, so I gave that up.  Listen close to your body and rest when it needs it - it has lots of important work to do!

Edited by Laerka 2006-05-16 9:56 PM
2006-05-17 5:43 AM

User image

Regular
Montgomery County, PA
Hi Everyone,

Thank you sooo much for all the wonderful posts. It is nice to recieve advice from others who have been there. I am still very early in the pregnancy and agree with everyone about being tired. I will take all of your advice and listen to what my body is telling me.

I plan to continue working out (as much as I can) and can't wait until next summer to compete in my first tri.

Thanks again for all the posts!!!!

Erin
2006-05-17 7:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
I ran the whole way through 3 pregnancies, including 5 miles on the morning I delivered that last time. Usually I was running about 30 miles a week the entire time. You have to do what you feel comfortable with. That being said, OBs usually say that once you get past 14 weeks, where the uterus leaves the pelvis, you shouldn't do anything with a risk of falls, like cycling. (A trainer is a good way to get around this though.) Let you body tell you when you are doing too much. It is not too hard to stay active in the first 2 trimesters. The last 4 weeks get exponentially harder and harder. Good luck!

-Kim

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training during pregnancy Rss Feed