United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 56m 4s
Overall Rank = 42/780
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/58
Pre-race routine:

I was really looking forward to the second annual Mountain to Fountain 15K. Last year I was recruited to be part of a stacked Mens Masters team and won our heaviest team members weight in Kilt Lifter Ale. This year we had a Mixed Masters Team as the open masters division was no more and were looking to get our beer on! We had three men and three women runners, top two men and top womans time counted for the team result. It's a terrific point to point course starting out at the Pemberton Trail parking lot out in McDowell Mountain park and ending a little over a mile from my home at the Fountain Park. It's really well run and well attended and you can't beat a race in your literal back yard.
Event warmup:

I woke up Sunday morning feeling catiously optomistic I could have a good run. I had a massive ride the day before, 118 miles, nearly 6 hours, with 8700 feet of climbing had left me pretty shelled Saturday afternoon. Jamie was going to be volunteering so she slept in and I decided to run to the packet and bus pick up to get a little early warm up, see how my legs feel, and add some run mileage for the day as per coaches orders. I ran the 1.32 miles into town and my legs felt ok. Picked up by packet and hoped on one of the many school buses to take us out to the park.
Run
  • 56m 4s
  • 9.39 miles
  • 05m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Hung out with my firend Kevin, Matt, Joan, Sue, both of whom were two of the three woman on our team Master Blasters, and local pro and fellow Zooter Angi Axmann. As the 8:00am start time approached we headed over to the line. The weather was perfect, a little cool but would warm up quicklu and what looked like a tail wind for the run back into town. I lined up just behind the fastest guy on our team, Ricardo, and just behind the elite division.

The first half mile is uphill out of the parking lot to the main park road. It's not steep but gives your legs and lungs a quick and abrupt start to your morning. I just tried to get my legs mving and build up my effort to a target HR of around 165 or so. As we made the turn onto the main road and began about 3 miles of descending, I took quick stock of how I was feeling. The answer was..ok. My HR was at 162 but it felt more like 168, so I knew that was how the fatigue in my legs would manifest itself today, no big suprise. So that would be the new target goal, hold on to 162..and apparently hold on to Angi as she ran up onto my shoulder around mile 1.5! Not only is she a great short course pro, coaches with my coach, but I refereed her to ZOOT this winter and they added her to the Ultra Team. But if she beats me I will NEVER hear the end of it!

By mile 2 I was able to move ahead of her and began to focus on the 5K mark I could see out at the park entrance. I crossed through in 18:02. Last year I came through in 17:41, so I was about 20 seconds off that pace. Not too bad as last year my run fitness in general was much better at this time and I hadn't ridden so long the day before. I exited the park and turned right on McDowell Mountain Rd. which is a stretch of road I am very familiar with as I bike and run out here all the time.

I was doing the best to run well in regards to form and effort, but it was a bit of a challenge to really get comfortable for the middle 5K of rolling small hills. My HR was hanging in at 162 but even on the short climbs it wasn't budging. I was ovetaken by at least 2 elite women, man can they pace a race propelry, and one tall, younger guy as I neared 10K. They had 4 aid stations on the course but I never stopped for anything. Crossed the 10K timing mat in 36:29 vs. 35:57 previous, so still pretty consistent, now about 30 seconds behind. But the next 5K were the toughest on the course with a 3/4 of a mile climb back into town.

Last year the hill before the middle school was a spot I passed one or two people but this year I was more isolated looking up the road so I just put my head down and got it done. Little did i know I had a shadow not too far behind me trying to close the gap! I came down onto Fountain Hills Blvd. and saw my Mom on traffic duty at an intersection. As i ran passed i asked her if anyone was behind me. She said no, the next runner was at least a block away. So I kept at it and made the final turn on to Saguaro Blvd. and the final mile and a half. Jamie was here also on traffic duty and she gave me some love as I went by wanting this race to be over. Not too soon after I went by her, I could have sworn I heard her yelling to someone. Uh, who could she be cheering on? I still had to get up the little hill by the traffic light at Grande and decided once up and within a 1;/2 mile, i would look back. Holy crap, it's Angi! I literally did a double take. She was hammering and maybe 30 seconds behind me. Shit, I got to go NOW. So instead of a leaisurely finish of high fiving and waving to the crowd I had to kill myself to keep the charging Teutonic Terror (she's from Germany) from catching me! I crossed the line a scant 17 seconds ahead of her. I jogged back out and turned and ran across the line with her so we could have a nice picture to send to ZOOT. :) 56:04, exactly 1:09 off last years time.
What would you do differently?:

I suppose not ride 118 miles the day before but that's the breaks when training for an Ironman.
Post race
Warm down:

Once across for the second time, I found Ricardo and he was happy I was in with a good time for our team effort. He had finished 3min ahead of me so now we had to just wait for our first female finisher who came in just under an hour. That sealed the deal for our win and I know have a case and a half of Kilt Lifter Ale in my fridge...well less a six pack after Matt and Joan came pover later in the afternoon to celebrate. :)

Event comments:

This is a terrific race and should be on everyones race schedule here in the Valley.

Last updated: 2012-02-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:56:04 | 9.39 miles | 05m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/58
Overall: 42/780
Performance: Good
Course: Pemberton Trail Head parking lot in McDowell Mountain park to McDowell Mountain Rd. and into Fountain Hills to finish on Saguaro Blvd. in fron of the fountain. The point ot point course has a net elevation loss of about 300 or so feet, so it's fast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-03-12 10:14 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: Mountain to Fountain 15K

2012-03-12 10:46 AM
in reply to: #4091945

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Mountain to Fountain 15K
Send me the pic of you and Angi. I'd like to hang it on my wall.
2012-03-12 11:09 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

mmmm  beeeeerrrrrr

nice work bro!!

2012-03-12 11:33 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Nice job on its own, let alone after that bike ride. 
2012-03-12 12:31 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
You rule those trails out there! Well done!
2012-03-12 4:56 PM

User image

Master
North Alabama

Very nice Brian! You're always out burning up the pavement and crushing dreams!

Keep at it man! 

2012-03-14 7:44 AM

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
Great Job Bryan! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain to Fountain 15K Rss Feed