General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5k Training on Treadmill using iPhone App Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-16 5:55 PM

Subject: 5k Training on Treadmill using iPhone App

This year, my goal is to complete seven or eight sprint distance or shorter tris. It's been proven by scientific experts from NASA that my run is the weak part of my race. Really weak part.

My tri season starts the second week in June, but I have two 5k races planned prior to that with my first one in mid-April. I'm half-way through the "Run 5k" iPhone app I have with four weeks to go, running three times a week.

Since my goal is to finish under 30 minutes, I've set a stretch goal of running a 6.5 mph average for a finish time of 28 to 29 minutes. In the past three years, I've only been able to complete a full 5k while running in about 32. Most of the time I'm 34 to 36 minutes and have to walk 25 percent of the time  

I'm training exclusively on a treadmill right now, with a "walk now" speed of 4.2 mph and a "run now" speed of 6.5 mph, at a 1 percent incline.

Does my approach make sense or should I reduce my running speed on the treadmill and work my way faster? So far, I've been able to complete all 12 of the training sessions at 6.5 mph, but it's not easy.

(I'm also swimming .8 miles twice a week in under 30 and walking other days. Bike comes out in mid-April.)

Comments or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2012-03-16 7:15 PM
in reply to: #4100031

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: RE: 5k Training on Treadmill using iPhone App
If 6.5 is your goal race pace, it might be a bit fast for your regular training. What run/walk interval are you doing right now?
2012-03-16 7:18 PM

User image

Clemson, SC

Running is about consistently getting the miles in without getting hurt above anything else and then letting the speed develop from there, not the other way around. If you consistently put in the miles, you will break your 30 minute goal since you're very close with your past efforts. You just need to build your endurance and then run a little harder on race day. 

To build endurance, run at an easy speed that you can sustain. My easy pace is slower than 6.5mph even though my current 5k speed is around 9mph. Work towards finding a pace that you can sustain for atleast 30 minutes that allows you to still have a conversation. That way you can enjoy your runs, increase weekly mileage, avoid injury, and run more often.

2012-03-16 7:34 PM
in reply to: #4100107

JZig - 2012-03-16 7:15 PM If 6.5 is your goal race pace, it might be a bit fast for your regular training. What run/walk interval are you doing right now?

Well, I'm doing the 5k training program where you walk and run. I just finished session 3 of week r 4 and will do session 1 of week 5 on Sunday.

The session I completed today was a 5 min brisk walk, then a 3 min run, then 2 min walk, then 6 minute run, 3 min walk and then 4 minute run followed by a 5 min cool down. I've been able to keep pace, but I feel it's a good work out. The next session is 5 warm up, run 5, walk 2, run 7, walk 2, run 5, cool down 5.

Two years ago when I was doing better with the runs on the tread mill, I think I was up to 7 mph for a good portion of 15 minutes at a time.

I just felt I needed to do a plan instead of just feeling it out, hence the 5k training app.

That stretch goal is for my first race, later this year I want to be able to do the same after doing a 1/2 mile swim and 16 mile bike.

2012-03-16 7:43 PM

@beebs - I'm kind of thinking you're note a fan of the couch to 5k programs that are out there? (maybe that's a misconception). The app does not specify a speed, just timing at a pace I select, and includes intervals of walking at a brisk pace.

By week 7 it has me running a total of 20 minutes with a 2 minute walk at 15. At the beginning of week 8, it has me running 25 minutes straight, then at the end of week 8 I run a full 30 minutes straight.

2012-03-16 8:36 PM

User image

Clemson, SC
I'm not really familiar with the couch to 5k plan, but following a plan that addresses your specific goals is generally a good idea. I just want to emphasize that you should be focused on increasing the distance that you can comfortably run rather than the speed that you can hold. If you are ramping up the speed because you feel the workouts are too easy, then the plan might be a little too conservative for you. Don't be tempted to increase the speed to compensate. An alternative option would be to jump ahead a week or so in the plan if you feel you're ready.

2012-03-16 10:24 PM
in reply to: #4100131

Master
Northern IL
steve495 - 2012-03-16 7:34 PM

JZig - 2012-03-16 7:15 PM If 6.5 is your goal race pace, it might be a bit fast for your regular training. What run/walk interval are you doing right now?

Well, I'm doing the 5k training program where you walk and run. I just finished session 3 of week r 4 and will do session 1 of week 5 on Sunday.

Knowing this, follow the plan. Keep working on progressing towards running continuously. That's your goal. Don't worry about pushing the pace hard or trying to reach your goal pace during the workouts yet. Just run. You should be in the range of able to recite a full sentence, but not a full paragraph. Speed will come over time as you are able to get better workouts in. Right now you are learning how to do a workout, being able to determine what your body is telling you.

Do you have an idea of how you would like to continue after you finish the plan?

2012-03-17 7:04 AM

OK - Thank you for the information. What I've learned here is that my 6.5 speed might be a bit fast for right now. I can speak a sentence when running for most of the workout, but the last two to three minutes of the "run" portions might be too fast right now.

I'm thinking I will adjust my expectations for the first race, with the primary goal of running the complete 3.1 miles, and even if I slip to 32 - 34 minutes, that would be OK. At least I ran all of it.

THEN continue to run the same distance, maybe bumping it up to 3.5 miles, that should become progressively faster and towards the goal of under 30 for the 5k. I have zero desire or need to run a race longer than 3.1 - 3.5 miles.

2012-03-18 1:39 PM
in reply to: #4100392

Master
Northern IL
With the setup of running for a few minutes at a time, it's a little more tricky to gauge by the talk method because you're getting rest frequently. You want to be able to do this the entire time. So especially pay attention to this later in the run and later in the interval. This will become more apparent as each run interval becomes longer, approaching running the whole time.
2012-03-18 5:19 PM

For today's session, I slowed the run portion down to 6.2 mph on the treadmill. Still keeping incline at 1%.

Felt OK today, but I was thinking the exact same thing when I was running ... since I'm resting occasionally how does that effect things. I'll keep going at 6.2 as long as I feel OK.

Today's session - week 5, session 1 - was run 5, walk 2, run 7, walk 2, run 5 ... so I ran 17 minutes.

If I have to slow down .... I'll slow down.

Steve

2012-03-18 5:32 PM
in reply to: #4101806

Master
Northern IL
The rest will allow you to recover some. The structure of these workouts allow you to get in more running, so it's worth it to take the recoveries for now. Otherwise you'd be running less if done in a straight shot. As you progress and are able to run more, it becomes more beneficial to run more continuously. It's possible someone may need to slow down a little, but that's not necessarily a set-back, but coming to understand one's ability and pacing. It takes time to develop things.

2012-03-18 5:37 PM

My plan is to get to the 30 minute continuous mark, being able to complete a 5k in that time.

Then, run three times per week for the same 5k, hoping to go a bit faster.

I'm swimming two days, will be riding two days.

There is one charity race that is about 3.5 miles, but you're not going to catch me running more than that.  

Thanks.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5k Training on Treadmill using iPhone App Rss Feed