General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Myrtle Beach Riding? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-25 6:17 PM

User image

Regular
Columbia, SC
Subject: Myrtle Beach Riding?
We're going to be in North Myrtle Beach in a couple weeks and looking to get a couple 30-40 mile rides in. Anyone know good routes? Curious if there is a good route to head up north toward NC? I know riding in Myrtle proper is probably tough with all the traffic but willing to get outside the area for some good riding. Thanks.

2012-03-26 8:23 AM
in reply to: #4112416

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Myrtle Beach Riding?
We have several groups riding in the area.  Check out bike shop and Tri Club.  Not sure if the Wednesday Conway ride is listed or not, but 6pm at corner of 14th and Main.  I ride in the Loris area on the weekends.  The bike group used to have a Sunset Beach ride.  Look up Grand Strand Cyclists on Facebook and contact Tim Vitt for that particular route.  It may be on mapmyride.com.
2012-03-26 1:47 PM

User image

Regular

I vacation in North Myrtle twice a year (10 ave south to be exact) - here is some ideas .

Ocean blvd is ok but the traffic is a killer (early in the am is best) - the road is not too hot either.

I ride to main street, cross 17 and stay on what then Robert Edge Parkway, crossing the intercoastal - I stay on 90 and will ride with out and back (have ridden to Conway this road) - it got some travel on it but so far its been ok - a few smallish hills as you get out, but not a bad ride - Google map it and see

2012-03-26 3:28 PM

User image

Regular
Hwy 90 is better now than it used to be, still too much traffic for me.  If you do the 90 route, going south towards Conway, you can always turn off on some of the back roads and have a much less busy traffic route.  There is a Wendy's right before the Hwy 22 interchange where you can take a right and ride towards Loris.  Think it is Red Bluff Road.  After Hwy 905 intersection, you get into my training area for the last 20+ years.
2012-04-02 3:43 PM
in reply to: #4113999

User image

Regular
done here now and road 90 today (lots of traffic but passable) I have ridden 905 its alot rougher than 90 - the wind today made the outbound 12,5 tough but i was chewing up the concrete on the way home
2012-09-16 12:39 AM

If you are like me (I have yet to buy a road bike)...

I have a sport/Mountain bike... Lewis Ocean Bay is a unique and wonderful Wildlife management area (beware of hunting season, though it has a limited rifle season).  Miles and miles of unfinished dirt roads. Seen turkey, quail, rabbit, deer... Entrance on hwy 90, about 15-20 mn from heart of MB. When wet/raining GTHOOD... road can get iffy real quick for 2wd vehicles

There is a decent bike trail with a few places to park near 79th/82nd Avenue and runs to 48th Ave. Quiet, flat, safe, minimal traffic

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Myrtle Beach Riding? Rss Feed