General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 7 - St. Kilda Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 7 - St. Kilda - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St. Kilda, Victoria
Australia
SuperSprint Events
15C / 59F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 13s
Overall Rank = 500/
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 4/8
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at my sister's in Melbourne so it was a 40min drive in, rather than the customary 1.5hrs. Everything was going well until I opened my race pack - they'd given me the wrong number. Had to sort that out, which had me a little flustered.
Event warmup:

Bit of a swim in what started out as really flat water. The waves started rolling in by about 8am. Darn it.
Swim
  • 14m 18s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

It took me a long time to find my rhythm - maybe 500m. I was just really annoyed and flustered and couldn't catch my breath. Worst swim of the series for me. On the bright side, I beat my time from last year by 1:14!
What would you do differently?:

? I warmed up. I tested the waters. I did everything right. Who knows?
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Excellent T1.

Nothing
Bike
  • 39m 6s
  • 20 kms
  • 30.69 km/hr
Comments:

I pushed hard the whole way to catch the girl in front but no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't. I think this tactic burnt out my quads. They were trashed. Another 20k PB though, beat last year's time by about 47sec.

Over winter, I need to do some strength training for my legs. I need to hit the gym and climb lots of hills.
Transition 2
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Beat last year's time as well - and I put socks on!

Nothing.
Run
  • 26m 37s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 19s  min/km
Comments:

Okay, so I sucked. About a minute slower than last year and felt about 10x worse than ever. Sandy was my worst run in a tri, this was 2nd worst. I couldn't feel my right foot until I crossed the finish line. My legs were cactus. I couldn't breathe for the first 3km. It just sucked the big one.

I think pushing so hard on the bike was my downfall. Hopefully better strength in my legs and a winter of hills & stairs will help.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked about. Waited a long time for presentations. Didn't make the podium. Nearly cried (big sook). My right calf hurts a lot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A less than ideal dinner last night. Barely a wink of sleep because daylight saving ended and I couldn't bear the thought of missing the race!

Event comments:

I don't like that the Athena's are presented medals after every other age group. We're at the start of the alphabet! It's been a good season and I've loved challenging myself with new, longer distances. I am very tired and thoroughly worn out. I need a break from tri's and competition. I've done 8 races this season, including 2 OD's and one long course. I will need to approach winter training differently to last year. I need to build strength and speed to compliment my endurance - and most importantly, have a break! Overall, I placed 2nd in the series, earning a nice little voucher from TriAlliance, so I think I might get a bike fit and a massage. :)

Last updated: 2012-04-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:18 | 750 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: BlueSeventy Fusion
Course: A rectangular course within the confines of the St. Kilda pier/harbour. It's usually very flat - last year it was like a pond - not so this year. Rolling waves which were diagonal to the course and a pain in the butt.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:47
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:06 | 20 kms | 30.69 km/hr
Age Group: 5/8
Performance: Good
The new HR strap actually worked! Ave HR: 142 Max HR: 154 Ave Speed: 30.8kph
Wind: Some
Course: 2x10km lap course up and down Beach Rd. Wide turn at the Northern end, tight technical turn at the Southern end.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:37 | 05 kms | 05m 19s  min/km
Age Group: 3/8
Performance: Below average
Ave HR: 159 Max HR: 166 Garmin says this was 5.12km, which gives a pace of 5:12min/km.
Course: Along the St. Kilda foreshore and back again.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-01 2:52 AM

User image

Australia
Subject: Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 7 - St. Kilda
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 7 - St. Kilda Rss Feed