BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior and Slornow's Spring/Summer Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 100

2012-12-09 5:55 PM
in reply to: #4123247

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Experior and Slornow's Spring/Summer Mentor Group-CLOSED

Jamie-you will be training from Jan.1 through IM Louisville. That's a long time. I would use some of those "extra" weeks to take a week off or do a really easy week after Raleigh.  Not sure I would repeat the last month before Louisville since those weeks will likely be pretty big volume weeks.  Maybe repeat a week 2-3 times during the plan or use the extra weeks to take a little break. It won't hurt your fitness and will likely allow you to recover better.  Better to arrive at the start fresh rather than overtrained.  You will get tired of the training and be ready to get it over with by the time Louisville rolls around...build in some easy!

When the new group opens we will add several new members. Many folks are not real tri focused over the Winter so we will want to add some new faces and get the benefit of their experiences. Most of the time a mentor group will start with 15-20 members. We will typically lose a few over the course of the group.

Randy       

2012-12-09 5:58 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-what was the biggest thing you got out of the swim video lesson?

Randy

2012-12-09 8:05 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Oh, funny thing happened at the pool today. Put on my jammers and there is a hole in the backside area! Fortunately, I keep an old pair in my bag for this type of situation. A couple of years ago I got out of the pool and felt a breeze on my backside only to find out that the rear seam had ripped.

Guys...do you wear a swim cap when swimming in the pool? I usually don't but have tried it recently. I get the feeling that my head sits higher in the water when wearing the swim cap....not a good thing since high head=sinking legs. Maybe Ijust need one that fits tighter.

Randy

2012-12-09 8:16 PM
in reply to: #4528342

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Two things.

First, I may be younger than Randy but I am not sure that I am any faster. He is a hard guy to keep in front of ;) I have really enjoyed this group and hope that I can add something as a mentor. It is something I have been interested in doing for awhile.

Second, during the swim lesson she videotaped me and was able to point out the glaring flaws in my stroke. I am reaching across the midline out in front and not really "catching" the water during the first 1/3 of my stroke so I am losing a huge chunk of my forward propulsion. When I get tired my elbows drop and I lose that whole forearm catch that is so important. I need to reach, rotate and engage my lats and whole body instead of just pulling with my arm. The problem with all of this is that it is incredibly hard for me to feel these flaws. When she video tapes me and shows me I can see what I am doing wrong clear as day but I just can't internally sense those things.

Edited by wannabefaster 2012-12-09 8:26 PM
2012-12-09 8:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

First things first ... new/old mentor group ... I am in! Go Jason!

I ran the Dallas Half Marathon today .... well ... I should really say I hobbled the half marathon. I have been dealing with knee pain ever since I ran the PR on Thanksgiving day. I ran 33 minutes slower than I was planning on but since I already had knee pain just by standing in the corral I knew it wasn't going to happen and I switched my goal from PR to just finish and have fun ... I finished alright 2.33 hrs ... which is a horrible time and I definitely didn't have a good time. 

No its time for some rest, visiting the doctor for my knee and once my knees are better training for the next Tri season.  

2012-12-09 8:36 PM
in reply to: #4528497

User image

Master
South Alabama
d3term1ned - 2012-12-09 8:29 PM

First things first ... new/old mentor group ... I am in! Go Jason!

I ran the Dallas Half Marathon today .... well ... I should really say I hobbled the half marathon. I have been dealing with knee pain ever since I ran the PR on Thanksgiving day. I ran 33 minutes slower than I was planning on but since I already had knee pain just by standing in the corral I knew it wasn't going to happen and I switched my goal from PR to just finish and have fun ... I finished alright 2.33 hrs ... which is a horrible time and I definitely didn't have a good time. 

No its time for some rest, visiting the doctor for my knee and once my knees are better training for the next Tri season.  

Michael/d3-tough day. Get better and then get back at it. Don't push to get back too soon or you will be fighting this well into tri season.  Better to correct the problem now and enter training at 100%.

Randy

2012-12-09 10:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Randy, I always try to wear a swim cap while swimming. For me, it's all about replicating the race feel. I've had to wear one in almost every race, so I want to make sure that I know what it's like to have on one. Even with it in, I still forget the routine sometimes. For instance, in my last race, I got out of the water, took off my goggles and then just threw them on the ground. I didn't even realize it until I got into the transition area, so I just left them lying there. I just want things to feel comfortable and automatic once I'm racing.
2012-12-10 1:35 AM

User image

Master

I'm totally in for the winter mentor group. I'm actually increasing training and need some help!

Thanks, Jason, for stepping up! You have a lot to offer and appreciate your input always.

I like using a swim cap to keep my hair out of my face, and it keeps my head afloat, which makes it easier for me to roll my face out of the water without too much effort to breathe. No bobbing up and down.

Went out for a very pleasant mountain bike training session yesterday afternoon after a lovely 9 mile run in the morning and didn't fall once! I was able to make it over a few hills without getting off to walk, and was more confident on the way down than I was a few weeks ago when I had a pretty bad crash.

Where we got some bike handling work... went up and down that hill in the back for practice:

Edited by Blanda 2012-12-10 5:33 AM
2012-12-10 2:35 PM

User image

Expert

I don't wear a swim cap in the pool, ostly because I don't like to wear one.  Maybe once or twice before  a race, but that's it.

Jason, thanks for stepping up!  Please count me in for this group as well.  I have learned lots and am always motivated by everyone's drive in this mentor to continually improve. 

I don't have much going on until spring but will use this winter as a time to continually improve my swim, and work on core strength.

Arizona was my fastest IM yet, and it is exciting to see my times go down as I get older (wiser?).  Next year I plan on doing 2 half IM's, as well as IM AZ again.  I hope to get in a half marathon or two, and then see whats left to fill in the gaps. 

Jim

2012-12-10 3:39 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I am a full time swim cap wearer. I actually put a little dollop of hair conditioner in the cap (learned this trick from my daughter--I may lose my man card for admitting this) before I put it on. It makes it so the chlorine doesn't eat my hair so much-- and my hair is oh so soft and shiny (pink). My first year or so in triathlon I never wore a cap except on race day. Every time I raced it was uncomfortable and I couldn't ever get it to feel right. So I just decided to wear a cap every time I swam. Now it is just second nature and I don't mind wearing it at all.

Here is another swim cap question: are you a goggles under-the-cap or over-the-cap person? I have always worn my goggles under my cap.... until recently. I have started to wear my goggles over my cap and find it to be much more comfortable. I am thinking that next season I am "going to go all Michael Phelps" and wear a cap, my goggles over the first cap, and then a second, race issued cap at races. I will have to experiment with this a little.
2012-12-10 3:41 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Blanda,

That is an amazing picture. It makes me want to be out mountain biking. Here in Michigan it is about 38 degrees and wet right now. Where you are certainly looks better.

2012-12-10 8:32 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-good tip on the conditioner. Main reason I've been using swim cap is because of how hard the pool chemicals are on my hair.  I always put my goggles on the outside of my cap when swimming in the pool...just easier to get the goggles off if they fog up.

I was complaining about a bad pool workout yesterday. As I looked back at the workout it turns out the problem was with my math rather than my swim

Randy 

2012-12-10 8:57 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Anybody have any good tri gear on their Christmas list?  I just ordered some new jammers and goggles from Swimoutlet but that's about it.  I am getting a nice Cornhole game from wife/kids.....looking forward to some intense cornhole matches over the holidays along with a few beverages!

Randy  

2012-12-10 9:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
I'm a definite over-the-top goggles guy. Mine always fog up, so I need to be able to get them off. As far as gear goes, I'd love a garmin watch. I have a timex run trainer, but I'd love a watch like the 310xt that can program routes and link with a a cadence sensor.
2012-12-12 7:27 AM

User image

Expert
Good run at 5 am today.  I'm still paying the price of IM AZ by making up for shifts traded with others.  Getting difficult to get much in this month.  Full 12 hour work days all week and busy schedules in the evening.  yuck! 
2012-12-12 1:00 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Dreaded my swim workout today. Main set was 36X50. Turned out it wasn't too bad after all. Rarely, do I finish a swim workout with positive thoughts.

Jason-tried a little bit of conditioner in my hair under the swim cap...seems to have worked. Sure to be a big boost for my modeling career as my hair seems to be shinier and have so much more life.

Randy

2012-12-12 1:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton
I got an appointment with the Sports Doc on the 21st. for my knee. He specializes in knee and shoulder issues. I hope he can help me out with my knee which is still sore. Until then its only going to be swimming and some easy biking.
2012-12-12 1:37 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Michael/d3-hope the doctor is able to get your problems worked out. I've had lots of knee problems over the years. ACL replacement about 20 years ago and a scope to clean up the same knee about 2 years later. Luckily, I rarely have any knee pain...just some stiffness. However, almost all of my soft tissue problems (hamstring/calf) are on the right side so I suspect I have some compensation issues with the right leg.

Sounds like a good time for a bike/swim focus

Randy  

2012-12-12 8:12 PM
in reply to: #4532534

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Michael,

Bummer about your knee. I hope you get some answers. Last time I was having knee issues it turned out to be iliotibial band, which is not great but certainly much better than many other diagnoses. With some concentrated stretching I got better quickly. It sure would be nice if you got an answer like that to your knee pain. Let us know.
2012-12-12 8:57 PM
in reply to: #4533091

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

wannabefaster - 2012-12-12 9:12 PM Michael, Bummer about your knee. I hope you get some answers. Last time I was having knee issues it turned out to be iliotibial band, which is not great but certainly much better than many other diagnoses. With some concentrated stretching I got better quickly. It sure would be nice if you got an answer like that to your knee pain. Let us know.

Yeah, Nate just went through the same thing a couple months ago. He seems to have fully bounced back now, after some PT and rest. I hope you have the same positive results, Michael!

2012-12-13 6:03 AM

User image

Master
Good Morning!

Blanda, your picture was stunning. How lucky you are to live in such a beautiful place.

Michaeal, hope your knee problem is something minor. Good move to take it easy and not push it.

I'm finally getting back into the swing of things again. We're running the Shiner Half Marathon this weekend. Which should be a lot of fun as the race ends at the brewery!

2012-12-13 8:30 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
2012-12-13 4:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Hi all!

Sorry I'm pretty bad about posting, but I try to catch up every now and again.

d3/Michael, hope your knee problem isn't anything too bad. Like Jamie said, I had an issue with my I-T band. For me, it just took a lot of foam rolling and different stretches/strengthening exercises.

I'm recovering from sickness last week, but the recovery seems to be almost as bad as the sickness itself. No more sore throat and sleepless nights, but really bad sinus pressure and drainage now... 2 weeks of no training is not good for me mostly because it takes that much more motivation to start up again I might try to do something on my bike this weekend hoping that this is all gone.

I read a few days back that this group will continue with Randy and Jason. Count me in! I may not post a lot, but I get great advice and feel connections with everyone here.

2012-12-13 8:10 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I am glad that so many are sticking around. I will try to pick up where Michael left off and keep up with things. His shoes are pretty big ones to fill.

I am getting very excited about this weekends swim clinic. I really need something to jump start my swimming improvement and I hope that this is it. I will let everyone know how it went. There may even be some video to link to when it is all said and done.

Tomorrow I am commuting to work a lot further than normal. If I want to get the training in it will have to be a very early morning. Not looking forward to that!
2012-12-13 9:45 PM

User image

Master

Thanks, guys! I do live on a pretty neat rock. Lots to do.

I wear my goggles over my swim cap so I can pull them easily up and down. Otherwise I can't see what the instructor is talking about. I like how the strap sticks to it too.

I took a couple days off last week because I had not gotten the tree up and only picked up three presents. My kids were begging to decorate and stuff, and I was too tired from training. Told myself I couldn't do any training until there was a satisfactory amount of Christmas cheer in the house. We're full of cheer now, so I've gotten a couple days in the gym.

Pool's been closed because there was poop in it. Yay. So, no swimming. Sunday's a bike day. They're offering mountain biking for the Xterra folks on the course, a roadie course that includes all the fabulous hills, and a flat course for the beginners. I'm hoping the weather is good for the MTB run.

Back at hardcore next week after I've done some shopping!

Enjoy your Friday!

Edited by Blanda 2012-12-13 9:47 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior and Slornow's Spring/Summer Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 100