World Triathlon Corporation
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 18m 59s
Overall Rank = 1356/2309
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 250/487
Pre-race routine:

alarm went off at 4:40. I had my coffee, a protein shake, banana and got the the rest of my things packed. I was about a mile from T2, so I didn't need to rush anything. I usually have no trouble, um, "evacuating" on race morning but for some reason today was different
Event warmup:

it was a tough balance act, but nice to stretch the legs with the 1 mile ride. dropped off my run gear at T2 and then headed with the masses to T1.
racked my bike and headed to the porta potties to evacuate. all systems go.
Swim
  • 39m 30s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was lackluster for me. I really enjoyed the ocean swim (my first time). Some big swells (no whitecaps) as we got out of the harbor. this was a fun swim, but I did feel like I was out there too long. Time on the clock when I exited the water confirmed it. I was sub 40, but looking to be 38 or better.
sidenote - Chad's Garmin has this swim as long (around 1.4mi). Makes me feel a little better, but not much. Official time is official time.
What would you do differently?:

not much here. I was navigating pretty well, but did go off-course a little twice.
I wold probably practice T1 as I had trouble getting out of my suit (see below). My swimming fitness was there and I was okay with the cold water and the salt water.
Transition 1
  • 09m 54s
Comments:

Long run around T1 and then back in. Grabbed by gear and was peeling my wetsuit off. Had some trouble and struggled a little, but then got the other leg right off.
Dumped out my bag and tried to pull on my compression sleeves and arm warmers -- not easy on wet skin. I should've brought a towel. Got my shoes on and then saw my socks. Dammit. took shoes off and put socks on. Did not put my chamois butter on (I would regret later), but got ready to ride. Threw 2 bananas up on my handlebars and headed out. This would soon bounce off and be gone forever. Dammit

Practice getting out of my suit.
Bike
  • 3h 20m 44s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.74 mile/hr
Comments:

I had worked on my bike more than I previously had, but still not where I want to be. I took the first 25 miles easy (as recommended) and was well over 18 mph. I had no trouble with the actual steep climbs. I passed quite a few people (surprisingly), but it was the long, gradual inclines that seemed to drain me and people zipping by me.
I did stop once to use the bathroom and shortly thereafter dropped my chain once. While I didn't publicly declare goals for this race, I knew that 3:20 would be about the worst I would do and was hoping to be 3:10 or better. Unfortuantely, I hit the 3:20.
A constant drizzle and being cold didn't help me here. I'm used to warming up on the bike. My tri-shorts never dried off and, to be frank, I was never comfortable in the saddle with my stuff.

Practice more hills! More miles on the bike!
All that standing on the bike apparently rocked my ankles and I felt it a lot on the run that followed.
Transition 2
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

Much faster transition, but could've been faster. Another long way to run (plus the cruelty of that final hill when you think you're already done with the course). Saw my wife just before I entered T2 and that gave me a lift.

not much here. ride faster?
Run
  • 2h 05m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Again, I did not publicly state goals, but all I really wanted was to be sub 2 hours on the run, but hoping to rock it. I looked at the elevation grid and thought it was possible, Once I walked and rode the course beforehand, I knew it would be difficult, but I was still confident.
There are some short, very steep climbs on this run course and 2 or 3 decent long climbs. I ran most of the course, buthad to walk up to the pier and walk up the climb on Wisconsin. Ankles were killing me from the bike, but I wanted to keep running.
I knew my 6 hour goal was long gone and I thought my run was a lot slower that it turns out it was. Missed the sub 2, but still a PR on the run for me.

not much - maybe run more hills. I did not expect the rolling hills and climbing that this course threw at me.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw my wife at the finish, then ran into Patrick and Chad. Got some food (chocolate milk=instant revival) and then headed over to the IM tent to get a finisher's T. Grabbed my gear, a 6-pack of Stone Levitation, and headed for home.
My place was right on the run course, so I stood in my doorway, drinking a beer, and cheering on those still out on the course.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fatigue from the bike. This was a very challenging course - - but I loved it and would do it again. The swim was a great challenge and very fun. The bike was beautiful and yet difficult, and the run was very spectator friendly and still tough.
Great race

Event comments:

Very challenging, yet totally fun race. If you're going to register, hit the hills early and often on both the bike and run.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:30 | 2112 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 164/487
Overall: 884/2309
Performance: Average
Suit: ProMotion Full Sleeve
Course: Oceanside Harbor out and back
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:54
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:20:44 | 56 miles | 16.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 286/487
Overall: 1545/2309
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Big Loop through Camp Pendleton. 3 big ass hills
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 81
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:05:35 | 13.1 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 250/487
Overall: 1208/2309
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loops around the Oceanside Pier, the strand, and the Pacific.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-02 8:37 AM

User image

Elite
the desert
Subject: Ironman 70.3 California

2012-04-02 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4124233

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 California
Good work! I wish I had your swim!
2012-04-02 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Great job - especially on the run!  The swim must have been tough - I don't know how you did it with the waves and the cold temps.  It is really tough to train for the bike over the winter, but you did a good job.  It's especially hard to come up with a time goal when you haven't seen the course and don't know the conditions.  Congratulations on aother 70.3!!
2012-04-02 4:22 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ

Tom, great to see you yesterday. Maybe one year I can leave my kids and have a nice adult weekend like you. I'm really jealous. You looked strong on the course, and congrats on that.

I'm sad about your bananas. There was so much crap on the ground of that course. Rough pavement is a triathlete's bane.

Oh, one tip: I put the chamois butter on before the swim, and it seems to have worked even after swimming with it on. My junk feels super awesome.

2012-04-02 7:51 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Nice job Fitzy! That's a tougher course than those we have here. Sounds like a solid race!
2012-04-03 11:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale

Tom, what a great weekend, huh?  It was great to see you out there during and after the race.  Like Chad, I put my chamois creme on before the swim and it seemed to hold up well.

Our pre-swim in Lake Pleasant surely helped us, as it seems we both were comfortable with the water temp and moved along through the water well.

Awesome job this weekend, congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 California Rss Feed